The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

Ithril
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

#61 Post by Darithe »

Traesta strolls leisurely down the large center road coming to a stop (at square 19X25) to glance around her and see anything catches her fancy.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Ithril »

Thank you, Darithe. That is most helpful.
Rex, will Conweena follow Traesta's lead?
What about the rest of you. I haven't heard from in some time.
Bluetongue?
Redwarrior?
Ravenn4544?

I'll send a dm to them to try to rekindle the momentum.
I'm sorry for the delays.

I
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by redwarrior »

dorath replies to Igber I am not really sure, but I’m fairly nimble and a silver axe seems diverting. Shall we see if I get the victor’s due or an ignominious dunking? Then we can join we our breakfast companions and see if they are as useless in melee combat as I? . So saying, Dorath will make his way over to the log rolling area, talking to the members of his troupe that he encounters on the way, alert to anything that sounds more interesting than the life of an itinerant performer.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena follows Traesta "What you up to?"

Sure.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble wanders around the tournament waiting for his even to start.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Bluetongue »

Harker

Walks the festival with sword sheathed. He has a wineskin. No need at this stage for much else, perhaps a satchel carrying a few personals and book of devotions.

Not finding any trouble that needs sorting and his squireship unneeded until later he will walk with Traesta and put in a few practice bouts for the combat. As far as jousting goes, he has limited experience so checks also upon the stable.

He will get Igber to act as his steward, varnishing his shield and prepping his lance and probably a large medical kit to sooth his bruises.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by Ithril »

Before you can separate, an errand boy interjects himself into your group. He's just a small boy, dressed typically for an errand boy, but he carries a stiff squarish bag of pressed burlap filled with small tightly rolled parchment. He grabs several and and hands one to each of you in turn.
Please take this map as compliments from Master Gabazîr mapmaker extraordinaire. He has traveled all through these lands, and has many maps. There's certainly something useful for you and your companions! He has drawn a map for every city and every kingdom in the land! and just as quick as he appeared, he charged off to press his master's work into the hands of anyone else he can. The folding crowds of people quickly erase his passage, but his insistent voice carries a while longer before it too is consumed by the market.
If any of you inspect the parchment, it is indeed a map of the larger peninsula , small but well made, and depicting many significant locations and details from as far nordt as Wolfshofen, and as far sount as the Zhyddach Sea, and the Principality of Salishum.
redwarrior wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am Dorath replies to Igber I am not really sure, but I’m fairly nimble and a silver axe seems diverting. Shall we see if I get the victor’s due or an ignominious dunking? Then we can join we our breakfast companions and see if they are as useless in melee combat as I?
Igber gives a surprised look at Dorath "I don't see much point in going there. I think they're still roping the logs and setting the competition area. We should stay with Harker and Coweena. There are traders from all over here! I want to see if anyone is selling gemstones. Besides. if we meet that ... giant.... (Igber shudders again) I want Harker to be nearby.
Bluetongue wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 pm Harker ... will walk with Traesta
Indeed, the presence of a Sentinel of Paldon keeps most mischief makers at least wary, and some routier people seem to quiet a bit whenever you are nearby. The market is busy, though, and crowded. There are many things going on to keep your attention, and it's difficult to focus well on anything because of the chaos.
ravenn4544 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:56 am Pebble wanders around the tournament waiting
The crowded market seems to jostle you roughly, though the two ladies ahead seem to be given their due courtesy as they navigate the busy avenues. It is not uncommon for you to find you are checking your gipser to ensure it hasn't been violated by some lightfinger in the crowd. The Sentinel you're following seems untouched by the pressing crowd as well.
Darithe wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:23 pm Traesta strolls leisurely down the large center road coming to a stop (at square 19X25) to glance around her and see anything catches her fancy.
Certainly many things do. From candle makers to perfumeries, bolts of dyed cloth and items of apparel from distant strange lands are all available here.
Conweena is still struck at the way the children are so free here, but the safety of a large number of people means the wichtelmännchen will not be about. Maybe this land is not plagued by them? soon you also find wares of many kinds and wonders to distract your attention as you wander talking with Traesta.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Darithe »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 am Conweena

Conweena follows Traesta "What you up to?"

"Up to?," Traesta responds to Conweena, "Just a little exploring. I've been cooped up in the church tent and its time to let my hair down and have some fun!" She moves to the perfumer's tent, "Ooh, that one is in a pretty bottle. I wonder if it smells as nice as it looks." She looks at the bottle's price and immediately puts it down. "A tad too high for a poor cleric I fear."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"I don't have much coin myself. Just trying to keep busy until the contest."
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath raises his eyebrow at Igber, thinks for a moment, as says One path is as good as another when you have no firm destination. Lead on, friend Igber!
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by Ithril »

redwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm One path is as good as another when you have no firm destination. Lead on, friend Igber!
Igber smiles at Dorath, and nods towards Harker. In a crowded market like this, I like to stay close to someone who seems to be in charge! He quickly follows close to Harker (and assumedly Traesta)
After a few minutes of wandering among the busy tents and stalls, a voice calls from behind you above the din.
HAIL fine SENTINEL! and a few moments later, Is that Sentinel Harker I see? Horse hooves can be heard, and when you turn to see where the voice comes from, you see another Sentinel of Paldon on a horse, somewhat more fair and pleasing than the last group of horsemen you encountered. The horseman threads hes steed more carefully through the crowds, with all due care and courtesy. When he reaches your group, he stops and dismounts, giving Harker a quick hug of a close friend long missed.
"Paldon has favored me to find you in these crowds. How have you been my brother?" After a few pleasantries Ranîn (for that is the name of the new horseman) asks Harker "have you seen Thalas? I know you were not eager to see him in the jousting tournament. He has a good habit of besting you; so I wouldn't begrudge your relief. But no one has seen him! The Duke (He makes a perfunctory sign of allegiance) was disappointed when Thalas didn't appear on the jousting role. He's a favored for the prize.
Thalas, Harker recalls, was sent to attend the town of Bredon some weeks ago, and is concerned to hear that he has not returned yet.

I just needed a majority of you to be certain to be in the same area at the same time, deeper into the fairgrounds, an a bit later to the time. Things will start to pick up speed from here. I can post as quickly as you can, but I'll need as close to full participation as possible
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Leaning over to whisper in Traesta's ear, "Am I supposed to know who he is or who he is talking about? I am not from around here."
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by Darithe »

Traesta turns at the sound of the shout of Harker's name, looking to see who approaches. She feared it was more of the rabble from the tents but is happy to see it is just another sentinel, one she doesn't know. Traesta replies to Conweena, "I don't know who he is either but he is talking about Harker, the sentinel who is just over there," nodding in his direction. "Oh, apparently its his brother," after listening to them speak. She then whispers to Conweena, "It appears good looks run in the family. There's one for each of us," she winks at Conweena.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Ithril »

I do hope we haven't lost Bluetongue. I'll npc Harker for now. I hope he returns
Ithril wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 pm After a few pleasantries Ranîn asks Harker "Have you seen Thalas? I know you were not eager to see him in the jousting tournament. He has a good habit of besting you; so I wouldn't begrudge your relief. But no one has seen him! The Duke was disappointed when Thalas didn't appear on the jousting role. He's a favored for the prize.
Harker replies with a smile in his voice that belies a deeper concern Thank you for that news, brother Ranîn. It is still early, and he may have been delayed by the road or any number of things. I am sure he will not miss the tournament, though. He has sent letters from Bredan telling of his anticipation of the events. I and my companions (he introduces each of you in turn) have pledged to the tournaments, but afterwards I will seek leave of my liege if he hasn't sent word, to seek him out. What of you? Have you pledged to any of the tournaments?
Ranîn tells Harker that he has yet to register in the rolls, and will do so directly. The conversation draws on for a few minutes as the two companions speak of others, which tournaments to join, and other things. They are not 'brothers' in any regard except in their pledges and stations as The Hand of Paldon. Presently Ranîn departs for the registration tents, bidding you each a farewell.

About an hour passes as you wander, browsing the tents and stalls, mingling in the deep mix of peoples and wares from both far and near. The day is incredibly pleasant. A breeze has sprung up, just strong enough to break the heat of the sun. On the breeze, different scents are carried from time to time, occasionally the spices from difrerent lands, wildflowers from the nearby fields and trees in early blossom, the canvass or leather of tent, horses and other pack animals. The day is altogether pleasant.

Near (13/30) your pleasant afternoon is interrupted in a most unpleasant manner. A shrill woman's voice breaks the usual clamor of the busy market!
Branda!! Batinas!!WHERE ARE YOU? The calls repeat in accelerating desperation. Not far, near the fire pit (at 14/31) you can see the woman. She is clearly a mother frantic for lost children. She is dancing the vain dance of a distraught mother who will not be consoled as she searches for the lost children. A few packages are abandoned nearby, obviously some trinkets she had bought earlier in the day. There is no sign of any children not being quickly held closely by their own parents. The crowds draw away from the shrieking mother, and calls to the festival sentries quickly begin to join her wails.

Igber starts tugging desperately at Harker's tunic.

I
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by Bluetongue »

Harker

Caught up in the festivities and other concerns that tug at him. One is the flirting eye of Traesta and the other a more urgent need of Igber.

He turns to the urchin. "What is it?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena quickly approaches the woman, "Where did you last see them? You must calm down so you be of some use, otherwise your children are doomed."
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath follows along with Conweena, and asks the mother My lady, if you could describe your children and what they are wearing, that would be of much aid.

Assuming that she can offer a half-decent description, Dorath will reach out to members of the troupe that he knows and ask if the children have been seen.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Ithril »

Bluetongue wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 pm Harker
He turns to the urchin. "What is it?"
Igber to Harker
The man, earlier at the tents... The big one. I saw him just before the woman started yelling! He looked like he was carrying something, but I couldn't see what.
Igber stammers the explanation.
Rex wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 pm Conweena

Conweena "Where did you last see them? You must calm down so you be of some use, otherwise your children are doomed."
Zîra is shocked at Conweena's language. "They are just lost. I know they are here! No one would harm the children. I've just lost them. Please help me find them! We were coming down the lane from towards the river, she says, pointing her thumb behind her. No one would harm the children..." she repeats.
redwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:28 pm Dorath follows asks the mother My lady, if you could describe your children and what they are wearing, that would be of much aid.
Zîra gathers her wits for a moment, and finally replies to Dorath "We are simple folk. They wear these, similar to my own. She holds out her arms to show her common attire. A heavier off color linen knee length tunic, tied at the waste with a thick rough woolen cord that has the ends trimmed with a bit of sheep hide to keep it from fraying. She also wears a wool shoulder coat that would be scratchy on the skin. The colors are drab and uninteresting. I think they were... they're 5 and 7. Just wee, and Branda has his father's fine hair. Batinas's darker. Please help me find them? The children would wear similar clothing, and sandals, Branda's tunic would be shorter, but Batinas' would be ankle length. Zîra is still desperate, and pays no mind to the baskets she has dropped about her.

I
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Darithe »

"So Igber, you think the strange man took the children?," Traesta asks a worried look on her face, "Well he shouldn't be hard to spot. Someone that size is hard to miss even in a crowd."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will start looking for the big man.

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”