OOC Thread

Jedi Skyler
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC Thread

#501 Post by Jedi Skyler »

Sweet. I've been on my computer a lot the last couple days, but not online; I just got a new Intuos4 tablet and Painter X3, so I've been working on getting used to the new program while I wait on my manual to get here.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#502 Post by max_vale »

Grey: Nice! :)

Zinn: Sorry, I forgot to answer this.....no your shield generator is not fried; but it will take quite a long time to re-power the shields; (half-an-hour to an hour or so).....when ships/fighters take actual damage; there's a chance for special damage if Lightly Damaged (1in6).....there will DEFINITELY be special damage if Heavily Damaged.

Special Damage is rolled on a table I made up at home and includes things like: "lateral thrusters damaged; -1D to Maneuverability"; or "Fire Control Computer knocked out; NO Fire Control bonuses"; or "Weapon System knocked out of alignment; randomly select 1 weapon to be inoperative until repaired"; etc.

Everybody: Okay; for this round; I've got Farak (NPC) and La'Reth doing Full Evasion (unless Angelic tells me otherwise); Jackson Angling the Shields; Gavin and Clark taking 1 shot each; and Zinn Full Evading?

Does that sound right?
crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#503 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

sounds good on my my end. keep Farak doing full evasive till the Bs shields pop.

any way Gavin can fire both turrets at once? if not, can he fire the forward guns from his position?

Hey Gray wolf.. if you think its a good idea, i can work shields and the other turret, to take the shields down even faster. for right now, this turn, i'm full shields
"shoot straight, conserve ammo, watch your buddy's back, and NEVER, cut a deal, with a Dragon." Shadowrunner's words of wisdom.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#504 Post by max_vale »

The forward guns can be fired with Fire Control from the Pilot or Co-Pilot stations; or from the turret/shields/systems seats; but with +0D Fire Control. HOWEVER; Farak couldn't do Full Evasion with these being fired.....he CAN do Regular Evasion and they can still be fired.

Both turrets CAN be fired from any one station; but keep in mind this will be 2 actions. Though....there ARE still Force Points to be spent......just sayin'! (Also....it's almost the end of the adventure/module; so no need to save them....you'll get new ones at the start of the next one! :) )
Jedi Skyler
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#505 Post by Jedi Skyler »

Yes. Zinn is in full evade mode while the targeting computer gets a lock on the power relay conduits. When he has a lock, he'll fire. He has also set the comm system to send telemetry data to his allies so they can concentrate fire.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#506 Post by max_vale »

In game terms, neither one is possible.

You can Evade (i.e. quick Dodge; 1 action; you roll your Piloting skill + B-Wing's maneuverability rating and that number becomes the new Difficulty number for the Frigate to hit you....as opposed to Full Evasion which is the above (Pilot skill roll + Maneuverability rating ADDED to the range Difficulty number; but it's the only action possible that round) AND as a second action Aim (i.e. get a Lock-on)....which will provide a bonus of +1D on your Gunnery rolls the following round.

Also....as stated before...there is no feeding of info to other ships to help them.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#507 Post by GreyWolfVT »

In Gavin terms he'll shoot any and all guns you allow from his position.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#508 Post by max_vale »

Greywolf: For each weapon after the first turret, it'll count as another action (meaning -1D for each action after the first, cumulative); and he can fire both turrets from his position (firing the forward guns would be a waste, as with Farak doing full evasion, it's an auto-miss, but still counts as an action)…..so if he fires both turrets once each; he's at a total of rolling 3D for each shot (MECH 3D, nothing in Gunnery Skill, so 3D, +1D for Fire Control and -1D for a second action; net: 3D for each shot); to get a 5 (normally a 10 for short-range, non-evading target….but due to its larger size scale, easier to hit)…..so pretty easy thing to do.

Just wanted to let you know how I got there.

If you wanted to fire 1 Turret twice and the other once….that's 3 actions and now we're looking at 2D for each roll (3 total); to beat 5….again the odds are still there; but obviously not as good as with 3D for two shots. You could go to a maximum of 4 shots (2 from each turret)…..giving you just 1D for each shot to beat a 5 on each try. (You can't go less than 1D to roll)

Just wanted to let you know your options with the mechanics of the game rules!
GreyWolfVT

#509 Post by GreyWolfVT »

alright with me max I'll just shoot the two turrets then. No more than that since I only have the two hands and not multiple tentacles or anything ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Jedi Skyler
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#510 Post by Jedi Skyler »

max_vale wrote:In game terms, neither one is possible.

You can Evade (i.e. quick Dodge; 1 action; you roll your Piloting skill + B-Wing's maneuverability rating and that number becomes the new Difficulty number for the Frigate to hit you....as opposed to Full Evasion which is the above (Pilot skill roll + Maneuverability rating ADDED to the range Difficulty number; but it's the only action possible that round) AND as a second action Aim (i.e. get a Lock-on)....which will provide a bonus of +1D on your Gunnery rolls the following round.

Also....as stated before...there is no feeding of info to other ships to help them.
Ah. Sorry; missed that earlier. I was online for a short time trying to catch up.

Not that I'm trying to be obstinate or argumentative, but how is the sharing of telemetry not possible? Is it because of the technology, or because of what's going on at the moment? If it's a tech issue then I'm confused, considering there is tech out there allowing you to slave one ship (or even a fleet of them) to another.

By all means, please continue on without the telemetry sharing so we can get things rolling. I'm just asking OOC for the information.
crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#511 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

If you wanted to fire 1 Turret twice and the other once….that's 3 actions and now we're looking at 2D for each roll (3 total); to beat 5….again the odds are still there; but obviously not as good as with 3D for two shots. You could go to a maximum of 4 shots (2 from each turret)…..giving you just 1D for each shot to beat a 5 on each try. (You can't go less than 1D to roll)
Mind.....
.. Blown....

didn't know that you could fire each turret more than once. so no point firing both 1/1 if you can fire one twice. firing 3 sounds a bit much as Wolf has no gunnery skill, even with such a large target. ( no insult intended. )

Recommendation as i've already said what i wanted to do for this turn. Garvin fires his turret twice, Jackson works full shields this turn, Farak does full evasive.
next turn, garven shoots twice, farak full evasive, and i angel shields/shoot man guns with no FC and -1d. ( watcha think wolf? )
"shoot straight, conserve ammo, watch your buddy's back, and NEVER, cut a deal, with a Dragon." Shadowrunner's words of wisdom.
GreyWolfVT

#512 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well fine then :P fire one turret many times at a large target. That will be gavin's move then...

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#513 Post by kipper »

I will be away from my computer for a couple of weeks (March 9-23).

Please NPC Clark for me while I’m away. Despite our lack of shields, he’ll fearlessly attack the frigate if possible, using his last Force Point once the capital ship’s shields drop.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#514 Post by max_vale »

Everyone: Next post is up; post away! Please note....circumstances are getting pretty dire....Shuttle and Freighter both without Shields and Damaged.....unsolicited GM advice: now is REALLY the time for any Force Points and for the B-Wing to start cutting loose!

Kipper: will do (run your PC as an NCP that is); have a fun trip/time-off/etc. :)

Gavin/Ski: yeah....sorry I didn't make that clear....I WAS a little confused by WHY you wanted to have one guy fire both weapons at the same time! :) Yeah, just like with hand-held blasters or melee attacks, or whatever; you can take as many actions a round as you wish; with the caveat that you must have at least 1 dice to roll; so a Skill of 5D allows to take up to 5 actions in a round (all would be at 1D to roll with as the first action is free, the next 4 total a -4D to skills) Hopefully this makes sense.

That being said; I just assumed that Gavin shot twice (with the same turret)

Zinn: Yeah, I was trying to get to this with my earlier comment, which I guess you missed...here it is again:

"No; the B-wing cannot send its targeting feed to other ships. Please ask me before making any kind of technical capability statements in-character....I am NOT playing according to Star Wars Wiki or Computer Game/later novel cannon. Target feeding; sharing Hyperspace coordinate plotting (Astrogation data), etc. are NOT abilities that most starfighters or shuttles have in my take on things. Basically, I'm running off of what is seen in the original 3 movies and my own imagination. I do not see the Star Wars universe as a kind of 'mirror' to our present day world; only with Lasers and Proton Torpedos as stand-ins for 20 mm cannons and missiles; I see it as much more of a WW1 or WW2 setting; only in Space.

There ARE specialized ships that can do some of the technical 'lasing', etc. that many, many real-world, present-day machines can do; but none of them are currently in your group's possession.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to try and avoid similar problems in the future. :) I definitely do not have a very good grasp on a lot of technology or science in general; so I'm well aware that many of my rulings/ ideas may not make a lot of sense; but I figure in a world where TIE fighters roar through space; a lot of the normal rules do not apply! Also, I really dislike 'retconning' well known movies/shows/etc. using what we know now/use now/etc. which wasn't necessarily known or used by the creators of said show/story.

As an example; in the original 3 movies; missiles are really not used.....except as weapons to be used against large targets.....so more like Rockets or bombs. I very much enjoy this and really, REALLY dislike stupid novels like the X-wing book where it seems like it was always about "locking on" with missiles/torpedoes when this is pretty much NEVER done in the original movies. (I know it was done in the newer movies and that we didn't exactly get a great look at detailed Fighter operations in the movie as we only really saw 2 assaults on a planet-sized target; but hopefully you get where I'm coming from!)

So for me; I'm coming at the Star Wars Starfighter battles as much more WW1 and WW2 inspired as opposed to modern-day dogfighting.......it's not about 'getting tone' and jamming, etc.; it's about guns blazing; pulling crazy dives/rolls/Immelman's, and attacking the dangerous ship/base through the flak; etc."

So, yeah, in my cannon there is no Slaving of ships either....as much as a I like Zahn's novels; I find them in many ways more Tom Clancy-like than Star Wars-like.....and the god-awful X-wing novels I read even more so....they bear little similarity to the WW1/WW2 like battles depicted in the movies (at least, in my opinion); and so they most certainly are NOT to be considered indicators of what one can or cannot do in my games.

This isn't to say that there aren't some specialized ships that do some of these things; or that some things can't be explained in certain ways as 'background fluff' in character posts...but as for providing in-game bonuses; not so much.

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns. Thanks!
GreyWolfVT

#515 Post by GreyWolfVT »

you are correct I shall fire twice with the same turret again this round unless i can shoot 3 or so times with less of a penalty.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#516 Post by max_vale »

Hey Grey, I'd suggest spending the Force Point if you want to shoot 3 times or only shooting twice; without the Fire Control (which has been knocked out by the damage the Shuttle just took); that leaves you with only 1D for each shot….to hit a 5 on each one; with 2D for each shot (if you shoot twice) or 4D for each (Force Point spent)….just a suggestion!
GreyWolfVT

#517 Post by GreyWolfVT »

then so be it

crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#518 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

mechanics confusion.

Shooting 6 times will net you a final Dice roll of 3D for each shot....difficulty 5 to just hit the Shields/Ship; 15 to hit the Conduit.

ok, sooo, i have 8D gunnery with my force point. if i fire 6 times, is it EVERY shot is -5D=3D, or does it scale down? 8D,7,6,5,4,3D ?

if its the 1st, then change my action to 6 aim at just the ship, to pop its shields.
if its the 2nd, then the 1st 4 aimed at the conduit, with final 2 just at the ship.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#519 Post by max_vale »

Hey Ski;

It is the first; every action would be at -5D......okay, so all shots at the ship; got it.

Sorry for the confusion!
crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#520 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

Return to “Star Wars RPG: Star Fall”