A New Beginning

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: A New Beginning

#461 Post by sonofotho »

Question: Is Sister Tarina armed?
Yes, she has a mace and wears leather armor.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#462 Post by spanningtree »

Leena - Mage

Over supper with the party. Well, I am getting headaches from all of this intense study... I don't think I can do any additional book browsing for a bit. Maybe we go check in with the Queeg tomorrow? Or we could kill some time in the sewers.... Leena will memorize magic missile instead of sleep.

Ragnus - Fighter

Aye, let's stop by and bug him to tomorrow... we'll see the money we brought back dwindle quickly.
With a wink at Finton.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#463 Post by sonofotho »

Well, I am getting headaches from all of this intense study... I don't think I can do any additional book browsing for a bit.
ooc: I just wanted to clarify, the two week waiting period is just for trying to learn Sneeze again. You could research other spells.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#464 Post by sonofotho »

Moonday, 24 Wealsun

With another good night's sleep under your belts you decide to pay Queeg a visit to see if Master Tarmikos is any closer to having another job ready for you. Once breakfast is finished you make your way out into the warm morning sun and head towards the Noble District. The streets are still fairly empty at this early hour and before long you find yourselves at the door to Master Tarmikos' residence.

Queeg pushes his spectacles up his nose and welcomes you into the sitting room. "Fortunate! I was going to send for you this very morning. Please have a seat," he says, waving a hand to the chairs and sofas in the room.

"Have you heard of Tsathoggua?" Before you can answer, the little man continues as he takes a seat. "A foul, foul demi-god from beyond our world who brought foul things with him. Many bowed down to Tsathoggua while others fought him to the end. Whether Tsathoggua was defeated or left our world of his own accord, no one knows. But he has gone, unfortunately leaving behind foul minions and other alien monstrosities."

Queeg's familiar owl glides down from the shadows and lands on his shoulder. "There is a ruined temple to Tsathoggua on one of the islands to the south. It is long abandoned, shunned in fact by the villagers of the island. But it is likely the final resting place of an item of great interest to my Master: a jeweled bottle, stoppered and sealed."

He waits a moment for this to sink in before continuing. "For the safe return of the bottle, Master Tarmikos will pay you the princely sum of 3000 gold. But the bottle MUST remain unopened. I cannot stress this point enough."

"Of course you will need a ship. You are free to hire your own or I can give you the details of a man used often by Master Tarmikos. His rates are reasonable and he is trustworthy."

ooc: Questions for Queeg?
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#465 Post by badams30 »

Wylo

Wylo glances at the others and says "Sounds interesting. What do you all think?" If the group is for doing this, Wylo will smile at Queeg and says "Could we get the name of your ship captain, if you don't mind?"

OOC: Sounds good to me. Do we grab the gang of porters and sell swords and head out? Or just us? I'd say bring em' with us. But equally fine if we don't. One thing I've been thinking of lately is that it could be useful to have a thief with us. Perhaps when we return, Wylo could find a reasonably decent one in the slums. As reputable a thief as someone could find, I guess...

Finton

Finton smiles at the prospect of making some coin and says "I'm in. Sounds dangerous and profitable."
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#466 Post by spanningtree »

Ragnus - Fighter

Sounds interesting enough... don't really like boats but they probably don't like me much either. We'll use the contact you provide. Better than trying to find someone ourselves. Ragnus is in. Finding someone that has skills with traps and such sounds like a very good idea. He will say to Wylo. I will join you in your search.

Leena - Mage

Aye, does sound interesting and a bit dangerous. Let's see what we can find. She will say leaning back. Will we need a map? Leena is in. After closing their discussion Leena will also make her way to the temple Wylo recommends to also pick up a draught of healing (for a 10pp donation) before departing.

OCC: I say we go. Postion of healing added to Leena's sheet, 10p deducted.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#467 Post by sonofotho »

ooc: Do you guys try and find/hire a 'real' thief now before you go? If so, I will say a set % chance (50% day 1, 80% day 2, 100% day 3). Note, a 1st level NPC thief will be looking for more coin than the 0-level guys.
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#468 Post by badams30 »

OOC: Wylo will take Ragnus with him, and he'll ask Sister Tarina if she knows of someone we can trust who might be able to handle the thiefly duties for us. I am okay with a zero level, whatever. I'm more interested in finding someone who won't rob us blind or kill us in our sleep.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#469 Post by sonofotho »

ooc: I'll cover the points out of character to speed things along, if that's ok.

- Queeg will write a note to Captain Everett vouching for you and informing him of the destination (the island in Hexes 25.14 and 26.15), but no further information is revealed as to the purpose of the trip. He also tells you where to find Everett's ship, the Sharkbite.

- Queeg suggests you visit the village on the island first. The islanders can guide you to the location of the ruins.

- Wylo and Ragnus do find a young thief, Kebalios. Sister Tarina knows him only vaguely. He will sign up for 10 gold a day. Let me know if you are looking to hire him. What about hiring any/all of your previous retainers?

- Based on the distance of the island from Enharza, you estimate sailing time of a day and a half each way (weather dependent of course). Please do any and all shopping you might have.

- Given all the activities you have, you can either cast off towards supper time of the current day or wait until the following morn.

Let me know your actions and if you have any questions.
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#470 Post by badams30 »

Wylo

Wylo is done with all his business in the city, and will bid Sister Tarina farewell. He's fine with leaving now or in the AM.

Finton

Finton is ready to go. He'll sheepishly visit his gal at the brothel to apologize, then he'll pack his stuff. He'd prefer leaving immediately.

OOC: Let's go find the ship captain and see what it costs. If he has a crew member named Gilligan, I say we find another boat.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#471 Post by sonofotho »

ooc: Just to clarify, were you guys going to bring some/all of the previous hirelings or is it just the 4 of you?

And no Gilligan, but there is a Gil Ligan on board... don't know if that rings any bells?
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#472 Post by badams30 »

OOC: I'm okay (and by "I" I mean Finton and Wylo) would be fine taking the whole bunch with us (minus a thief)

Gil? I'm okay with that. But if a rotund Captain calls him "Little Buddy" I'm definitely disembarking.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#473 Post by spanningtree »

OCC: Ya, the others would be fine minus the theif, let's layout the costs a little better this time so Ragnus and Leena can shoulder a fair amount of the burden. I think Wylo shouldered most of it last time.

Ragnus - Fighter

Will make his way to the ship to talk with the captain about pricing and logistics.

He will also stop by a couple of taverns near the docks and spend 5 gold in each. He will make small talk for a bit and then bring up the islands to the south. Specifically he is trying to get a sense for any dangers that are known to be lurking in the areas to the south and what cargo's have been found to be lucrative with the villagers on the islands.

Leena - Mage

She will make her way to the market and procure:

80 days of preserved rations
2 barrels of fresh water
1 cask of ale

She'll have the provisions delivered to the ship.

OCC: Leena pays 44 gold for the provisions. Ragnus pays 10gp for the information gathering.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#474 Post by sonofotho »

ooc: Actions noted. I'm traveling today so my response post will likely come tomorrow.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#475 Post by sonofotho »

ooc: Guys, so sorry for the lag. Crazy trip and explosion at work has set me back. Post coming tomorrow - promise!
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#476 Post by badams30 »

No hurries. I know how hectic it can get with travel. Just FYI, the missus and I are on the clock for the new baby, it's looking like it could be any day now, so if you see me disappear for a day or two, that's why. I'll try to duck in and tell you when, but it could be any day. The Dr says she thinks we wont make it through the weekend without the little man making an appearance. We'll see....
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#477 Post by sonofotho »

badams30 wrote:No hurries. I know how hectic it can get with travel. Just FYI, the missus and I are on the clock for the new baby, it's looking like it could be any day now, so if you see me disappear for a day or two, that's why. I'll try to duck in and tell you when, but it could be any day. The Dr says she thinks we wont make it through the weekend without the little man making an appearance. We'll see....
Great news Brandon - I know you guys are excited! Best wishes!
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#478 Post by sonofotho »

While Finton heads to the Brothel of Secret Pleasures to say goodbye to Thalia and Brother Wylo tries to round up the hirelings, Ragnus and Leena make their way to the docks. A big ship has recently come in and wide-eyed newcomers to Enharza make their way up the street. Wagons filled with various exotics roll past and sailors, some already drunk, stumble to and from various ships. The pair keep their eyes open for any sign of trouble.

Before you reach the Sharkbite you spy a couple dockside taverns and decide to pop in to see what information you can find out about the Southern Isles. A bit of coin is spent and some unsavory types encountered, but some new knowledge is picked up. You learn the following:

-A strange mist can spring up suddenly on the open water, obscuring visibility to just a few feet. It's best to try and wait for it to dissipate, lest you get lost.

-There are native villagers on many islands, but they can be wild savages and aren't to be trusted.

-The sea is not a safe place. Get from port to port as fast as you can.

-Watch yourself on the docks, especially at night. Press gangs sometimes try and bully individuals and smaller groups, forcing them into service on their ships.

You also hear talk of pirates and sea monsters and forgotten tombs and ruins filled with treasure and wondrous magic items. It is clear that with some coin to spend, the dockside taverns are a great source of information.

Ragnus and Leena reach the Sharkbite just as Finton, Wylo and the hirelings show up. You look up and see an old wooden boat, sturdily built, but showing some signs of age. A single mast rises from the middle of the deck, the sail tied up. The prow of the ship is carved into the likeness of a dragon's neck and a small cabin sits atop the aft deck. You guess there would be room for maybe 25, max 30 men on the small ship.

"Someone came in that thing?" Finton asks. "What a piece of junk!"

"She may not look like much, kid, but she's got it where it counts." You turn around to see a middle-aged man, pot-bellied with a sunburnt face. "That's my ship you're talkin' about."

ooc: Purchases noted - just thought I would pause her to introduce you to the Cap'n
badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#479 Post by badams30 »

Wylo

Wylo smiles and waves politely at the captain, "Brother Wylo, of Eno. We were given your name by Master Queeg, and he told us you might be able to convey us somewhere." (Wylo will quietly tell the captain where they are going, and stresses the need for silence. "How much to take us there, friend?

Finton

Finton smiles meekly and stares at the small ship, a foreboding feeling creeping across him.
sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#480 Post by sonofotho »

"Queeg, eh? He's a funny little man, he is. But, his master pays good coin."

Wylo quietly explains the trip as Everett reads the letter handed to him by Leena.

"Yeah, I know the island. Stopped there once in a mist-fall. Lasted two days and I needed to take the skiff in for water." Everett scratches himself and nods. "Feisty islanders on that rock. They had me over a barrel and took me for all my grog and spirits in exchange for two casks of water. Need to make sure you have goods to trade with that lot."

The talk of price comes up and Everett doesn't even hesitate. "My rate for Tarmikos is 250 for taking my ship out of the harbor and 25 every day we're on the water." He takes a quick look at the sky. "I can have her ready in 2 hours if you're in a hurry - could just hit the tide change."

ooc: Actions? Let me know any/all questions....

Return to “Enharza and the Southern Isles (LL sandbox)”