Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Mission 3: What Have You Read on Kindle?

#41 Post by Taaz »

Well I cant speak it, at least not with my accent. But I can work my way through some of this. he says as he examines the Journal. When Etta asks about the Mayor he asks herYou think Hogg is one of his acolytes? That could make sense, could be the Demon sees Father Older than Dirt on the way out.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Bluehorse »

St. G&A Orthodox Church
The Back Office
What have you read on Kindle?
Aug. 9, 2018, 4:45pm
Hot and Humid Outside

PPP looks at Roy and laughs a little offering a nod. Yes! You are right. Not an orthodox way to learn but I imagine you are not orthodox people. No pun or offense intended of course. English is funny that way. I'll stick to cards, but then again maybe that is why I cannot work out latin after all these years.

He considers Etta's comment along with Jason's about the Mayor and shakes his head. Judge ye not less you yourself be judged.... That being said... I pray for the day that Mayor Sanders comes to me or anyone for confession and redemption. And that is all I can say on that. As to Kindle's intrest in him... I cannot say unless you know something I don't. To my Knowledge Mayor Sanders is a member of another church... The old Lutheran Church if I am not mistaken. I know that Mr. Sanders and Father Belmont d not get along, but for all that I have yet to see Belmont truly shame the Mayor. I have seen him try... You could ask anyone of all the news spots on TV that Belmont comes to much like your Ribbon Cutting yesterday. Nothing seems to phase Mayor Sanders.

Jason Is this the perfect translation of a learned or native speaker? No, that would be impossible... but Jason managed the almost impossible and is able to start picking out some words that look familiar and begins piecing most of it together. The journal records the events in Wallachia and the slow unfolding of what they realized was a demon infestation. It is hard to pick out a lot of the intricate details, but these monks were like an early paranormal scientist, combining spirituality, alchemy, astronomy, astrology, folklore, and even botany in their search for answers. Papa Popascu (let's call him the first) was chief among these holy scientists, along with two young apprentices, Popascu (the second) and another up and coming student of the parish a young man named Beu'Mont.

It was apparently Beu'Mont who discovered that beech wood would contain infernal energy if it was directed and tuned to living wood, and it was the Popascus' themselves who were able to piece the ritual together by working to entrap and contain lesser demons while steadily working their way up the chain to Kindle himself. There are charts and diagrams that would likely take months or even years to completely decipher, but there was a well of knowledge in this old ratty journal.

What Jason can see... is that something about how the ritual tunes the energy that mostly makes up the demon to the wood itself, essentially making what is a primitive... natural containment unit, as long as the tree is intact. There is some talk about tree that is destroyed or dies, and how a demon within can then break out, but if there is another ritual burning to incinerate the remains, it can banish the demon back into the abyss... but now it begins getting harder to interpret as the handwriting changes to that of Popascu II.

Actions?

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 58/66
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 52/57 (*)
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/58 (*)
Roy O'Dowd: 64/64  (**) (***)
David "Mac" McAuslan: 58/58 (**)

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)
** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#43 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Yeah, the Mayor seems like the type of person who takes everything in stride, no matter how much it might bother other people. He definitely likes to be in control- or at least make people think he is, at least. If he let people know something was bugging him, he might lose some of his control, maybe respect, even? I dunno. Maybe he really is that way, maybe it's just the image he tries to project.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Taaz »

As he listens in he looks at the bits and pieces he can understand and starts relaying what he can make out to Etta.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Mac

"The mayor is worth keeping an eye on, but I think he is a red herring when it comes to Kindle. We need a plan on how to contain it and we will need to make sure we are guilt free when we act."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta nods as she listens to her co-workers. "Hmm. You may be right. After all, Kindle is still an active presence at Belmont's church. Perhaps the Mayor simply doesn't have a sense of shame for the demon to latch onto? But does he know anything? Do you think he funded the franchise, hoping we'd take down his rival at some point?"

Her eyes widen as Jason describes the idea of using trees as containment vessels. "Sustainable and organic! No worries about blackouts releasing hordes of specters! Oh, we need to learn everything we can about that. And the tax breaks Tully could wring out of it!"

Continuing to listen, she chews her lip when he describes the possibility of a ritual for destroying the wood and banishing the demon. "Okay, that's the immediate priority. We need to bring every resource we have to bear on figuring that out. Father, do you think you can help Jason work out your ancestor's handwriting? I could start researching similar rituals to see if that gives us any leads. And the rest of you boys? Any suggestions?"

Scott308

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Well, I'm not real good with research stuff. I had tutors that helped me with that sort of thing. I can...drive people around. I can lift stuff- do we still need to organize furniture or things back at the firehouse? I can help by doing that so you can spend time studying.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#48 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy smiles and chuckles "Yup thats me, not orthodox. I learn some strange things from reading books and playing video games."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Bluehorse »

St. G&A Orthodox Church
The Back Office
What have you read on Kindle?
Aug. 9, 2018, 4:50pm
Hot and Humid Outside

PPP seems very interested in Lionel's observations about the Mayor and nods. Image can mean a lot to a lot of people.
Some more than others, but we are all guilty of vanity... That is why it is one of the 7.

Turning to Mac he also nods. I am not going to tell you how to do your jobs, but where I would not want to leave any leaves unturned in a matter like this, I think you need to be mindful of focusing on one thing at a time, and not let personal... I don't want to say vendettas, because you folks don't seem the type... but I think you get my meaning. Try to approach this with a pure mind. Some may call it scientific. Consider the facts before the people. Get to the root of the matter, as my grandfather liked to say, and work up from there. Now that being said about a clean conscious... I am always available for confession if you are so inclined, but I would never dare to assume or press myself on you like that. If you have some other inclination on how to air out your guilt about anything, I am just one option.

Etta Perhaps the Mayor simply doesn't have a sense of shame for the demon to latch onto? The old priest just laughs and laughs, wiping his eyes a little with a tissue. Oh my... Well... That is a thought... he clears his throat and collects himself. Humor aside... and god forgive me, but that is actually a good theory. All the text as pretty clear that the parties brought before Kindle and sacrificed had to feel some guilt about something, and that was Kindle's gateway to work through.
I would consider that, for sure. It is simple and logical.

Do I think he brought you in just to take out Father Belmont? That may be a stretch. He has cheaper means and the funds to do it if he really wanted to. No, this town has a problem with many elements of its past. His reason may not be pure, but even people with.... poor intentions, sometimes do the right thing.
He sighs and looks out he window a moment then notes the candles are getting low. He points to them. You see how fast they burn? I am not sure if it is the ritual, or cheap dollar store candles. Food for thought.

At talk about using trees for ghost containment, Papa P chuckles and shrugs. At talk of the ritual to destroy and banish the demon, he grows more serious. It is in that journal. he points to Jason and the book in his hands. You can borrow it.
Study it. I think I have a Romanian to English dictionary around here somewhere... But you will still need to do some digging to work out the dialects. I have to prepare for an evening mass or I would do it myself, but maybe we can work out something later. I would imagine I need to meditate on this a bit as well and see what I can find on my side of things.

Hearing Lionel talk about being the driver and the muscle he just nods appreciatively. On second look, under all those robes, he looks like in his younger days he might have been built like a fridge. We might need you for the church yard sale in the spring.
Muscle is always good to have around and always in demand. Don't sell yourself short on the value of that, or one what you can still learn.

Actions?

Brownie Point Pool
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 58/66
Dr. Vanette Conklin: 52/57 (*)
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 52/58 (*)
Roy O'Dowd: 64/64  (**) (***)
David "Mac" McAuslan: 58/58 (**)

* - +1d6 on any one roll. (Xmas)
** - No Ghost Dice on any one roll. (Xmas)
*** - +1d6 for the next use of the Ghost Trap

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Taaz »

Jason nods along with Etta, My thoughts exactly if we can figure out how to banish it for good, it sure beats letting it run wild. he turns and looks at Papa Is there any way to find more about this ritual Papa?

Scott308

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel smiles, chuckling at the priest's words. I'd be happy to help with the church yard sale, Papa. Just let me know when you need me. If we're not dealing with a spirit, I'm sure the others would be ok with me getting away from the firehouse to give you a hand.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta, with an eye on the guttering candles, thanks the Father for the loan of the journal, and the dictionary. "We'll take you up on that. If we need more help with the dialect, we could always take a trip down to Rhodes College, were I know some people in the Linguistics Department."

GreyWolfVT

#53 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy merely stands there with a goofy smile on his face nodding as everyone keeps talking. He merely looks as if he is trying to keep up and process it all. But chances are he's about to go boss eyed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I can help with the yard sale, love my yard sales."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Bluehorse »

PPP Let me get the research on the ritual ironed out on my end, and I will let you know. In the meantime... keep mum about you know who directly and prepare yourselves.
I cannot stress enough how important a clean conscious is... I just wish I could help you more.

the GM politely points out the church yard sale would be a mcguffin

Scott308

#57 Post by Scott308 »

If we're done here, can I get one of you techy-types to help me put the lights and siren on the car when when we get back? It's way beyond what I can do on my own.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Not really a techy type, but I think I can help with that."

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "Depends on the type of tech I used to fix computers so I may be of use."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Pulpatoon »

Etta thanks the Father again, making sure she has all his contact information.

"Okay, boys, let's get back on the road!"

Return to “Mission Archive”