OOC Discussion 3

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion 3

#41 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote:To find another mage for a henchman would probably mean going back to Adamas. Climent may not be Mr. Right, but he's Mr. Right Here.
That reminds me a of a line from a Jasper Fforde novel where the main character is talking about the dates she's had in the past, when Mr. Right has turned out to be Mr. Drunk, Mr. Gambler or Mr. Already Married.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by drpete »

kalstone wrote:To find another mage for a henchman would probably mean going back to Adamas. Climent may not be Mr. Right, but he's Mr. Right Here.
I also provided you with a non-ACKS way to convert some of your gold to xp in Adamas, if you want it. You can take your share and blow it on gambling (Ranulf) or other pursuits. I know this is usually just for reserve, but I'll let it do double duty (in Adamas, Muntberg is too boring).

Other than that, I don't have much to say except to weep for poor Climent.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by thirdkingdom »

How do magic-users get spells at 1st level? If one were theoretically making a magic-user would could you chose or is it randomly determined?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by drpete »

It's random. The way I did it with our previous, short-lived MU was that they could choose the spells from the template that corresponds to their starting gold roll, or I would roll them randomly, so there's a starting set (that you can check by lopping the 0 off the starting gold, and checking the template) or I'll roll them randomly.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zorroroaster »

Can we all pause and discuss? I smell a TPK if we don't handle this well! :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by kalstone »

It's smelling like a TPK if we do handle it well.

Nevertheless, whatever that thing is through the secret door, we may at least be able to hit it. I vote we rush it and try to close the secret door behind us.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zorroroaster »

I'm inclined to agree, though I don't see how closing the secret door will keep out the spectre we can't hit with normal weapons.

I am with you though. Go for the enemy you can hit as opposed to the one you can't.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by kalstone »

Well, I guess if the wraith can go through walls, then heading through the secret door is not good. We can't go past that thing in there because we would have to find the secret door on the other side. The best option may be to shut the secret door and try to rush past the wraith.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Zorroroaster »

Yeah, could be an option. Big Flaming Guy might not come after us if he's guarding that inner chamber, and Plud is doing a bang up job of martyring himself for the greater good...running like hell might be our best tactic.

We definitely need consensus before we commit though, because I think what will kill us for sure is 5 different ideas of what to do.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by thirdkingdom »

What makes everyone think this thing can walk through walls? It came from down the hallway, not out of the floor.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zorroroaster »

I only suggested that was possible, given the description that more than one weapon passed through it without harming it. I didn't say I know it can pass walls, just that it was a reasonable assumption for someone to make.

Just trying to cover all possibilities before we decide on what to do. :lol:
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zorroroaster »

Also, just heard from bobloblah and he's been on a work trip. I told him of our plight and he promises to get on here tonight to add his input.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by drpete »

Great :)

I must say... out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Zorroroaster »

And who is stoking that fire, eh? Who? Hahaha! :lol: :lol:
bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by bobloblah »

Yeah, short notice (spell check changed that to "skirt motive") business to Europe. Just got back. Will try and post tonight after I read up. Zorroroaster told me it's...less than good.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by drpete »

Glad to have you back, bob.

In terms of positioning, the front two ranks are near the fire demon (except Torgyr, who is on the table, in between), the back ranks are near the "shadow wraith" and the others are "floating", though in line of sight with the "shadow wraith", so probably around on the west (fire demon) side of the table.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Dogma »

Doesn't someone have what may be a magic sword in their backpack that we are afraid to use because we don't want to lose the XP? Need to go back and read the posts again...can't remember....
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zorroroaster »

Ok, I see four possibilities:

1. Stay and fight on two fronts as we are.
2. Close the door and fight the wraith, hoping the fire demon can't operate the door. Joy!
3. Rush into the demon room and close the door, and fight the fire demon, hoping the wraith has the good manners to give us a moment. Double joy!!
4. Run like hell past the wraith, taking our chances of being hit or touched as we leg it past him. He can't get all of us, can he?

Within those four options, we should then consider what items we have that might be better suited to each scenario:

1. Torgyr has one flask of military oil remaining. Could that be thrown and/or lit under the wraith?
2. We have some of the masks. Perhaps their effect would do something to either of our enemies?
3. Isn't Quinn hanging onto a magical sword?

What am I missing?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by drpete »

Quinn was making a big deal about the sword on the previous delve, but hasn't really been playing with it on this trip. I know that there was a discussion about bringing it as a fallback... did Quinn bring it?

At this particular moment, the black ghost/shadow wraith thing is under the influence of Climent's Choking Grip spell (Climent has a purple lightning spell signature), so it is, for the moment, distracted, though it could break free at any moment.

Are we having fun, yet?

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zorroroaster »

Loving it!

Though somewhere along the way we graduated from orcs and kobolds to fire demons and shadow wraiths. I don't even remember taking the exam. ;)

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”