The Keep IC

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Keep IC

#41 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair goes to the bar and collects 2 large tankards of the ale the dwarf has been drinking. He walks over to the dwarf's table, places one of the tankards before the dwarf and asks, "May I join you for a drink?"
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#42 Post by Jack »

+2 HP after 1 long uninterrupted rest (+1 CON modifier) during the trip back to Speddenfield.
Sammy goes to the mercantile store, and looks around at the goods on offer. He approaches a worker, "Can I buy 9 darts in exchange for these 2 undamaged javelins and 1 gold piece?"
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Tamerlaine »

SterlingBlake wrote:Alastair goes to the bar and collects 2 large tankards of the ale the dwarf has been drinking. He walks over to the dwarf's table, places one of the tankards before the dwarf and asks, "May I join you for a drink?"
The dwarf gives Alistair a cursory glance while gnawing on a large turkey leg, running a hand through his full beard before replying. "Suit yourself, wee one. I'm not much fer company, but I'd be hard pressed to turn down a free tankard of ale."

Alistair finds out the dwarf's name is Duin Stonefoot, a wandering fighter hiring on with caravans.
Last edited by Tamerlaine on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Tamerlaine »

Jack wrote:+2 HP after 1 long uninterrupted rest (+1 CON modifier) during the trip back to Speddenfield.
Sammy goes to the mercantile store, and looks around at the goods on offer. He approaches a worker, "Can I buy 9 darts in exchange for these 2 undamaged javelins and 1 gold piece?"
"Two javelins and a gold piece for 9 darts? Not a problem," the merchant replies and the transaction is completed.
mumble
Strider
Strider

#45 Post by mumble »

Daro opts to spend time next to the (hopefully) recuperating Deldo. He'd grown rather fond of the fighter, due to his blusterous personality. "Aye, Deldo," he murmurs to no one in particular. "Daro is concerned that you are going to fall far behind in our wager. Daro is already in the lead and our journey has but started. Never fear though, Daro will be more than happy to handicap himself to allow Deldo to catch up..."

Thus he continues talking to the unconscious man in the hope that his attempts at camaraderie will assist Deldo in his recovery in some way, shape or form. After a few hours, he heads out to the common room to see what the others are up to. And to get something to eat, of course...
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by SterlingBlake »

Tamerlaine wrote:
SterlingBlake wrote:Alastair goes to the bar and collects 2 large tankards of the ale the dwarf has been drinking. He walks over to the dwarf's table, places one of the tankards before the dwarf and asks, "May I join you for a drink?"
The dwarf gives Alistair a cursory glance while gnawing on a large turkey leg, running a hand through his full beard before replying. "Suit yourself, wee one. I'm not much fer company, but I'd be hard pressed to turn down a free tankard of ale."

Alistair finds out the dwarf's name is Duin Stonefell, a wandering fighter hiring on with caravans.
"Well, Mister Stonefell, I am in the market to hire a strongarm, but I'm afeared the duty is riskier than caravan work. I suppose that's more excitement that you'd care to be part of... "
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Tamerlaine »

SterlingBlake wrote:
Tamerlaine wrote:

Alistair finds out the dwarf's name is Duin Stonefell, a wandering fighter hiring on with caravans.
"Well, Mister Stonefell, I am in the market to hire a strongarm, but I'm afeared the duty is riskier than caravan work. I suppose that's more excitement that you'd care to be part of... "
“Ye wish to hire on a strongarm, now does ye?” Duin replies before chugging down yet another tankard of ale, the excess dripping down his chin and beard followed by a rather excessive burp. “If ye think guarding caravans is exciting work, well Master Understowey, you’d be wrong. The work is boring, mind-numbing in fact. What bandits I do encounter often flee before I kin stove their heads in, the cowardly lot o’ them.”

The dwarf rips a large bread roll in half, dipping it in a bowl of stew. “Mind you now, wee one, I’m from the Iron Hills, born of the Stonefootl clan, known throughout the Flanaess for its stalwart warriors. There is nothing below or above the ground risky enough to give me pause.”

“Now buy me another ale and tell me of this ‘risky’ endeavor that proves to be more exciting than caravan work. Go on now, you've bent me ear."
Last edited by Tamerlaine on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#48 Post by SterlingBlake »

Iron Hills, you say? I have a cousin in the Iron City!

Alastair smiles and collects another tankard for the dwarf and then relates the plan to clean out the Keep and how it was interrupted by our colleague's contraction of a disease. Throughout the discussion, Alastair will ensure Duin doesn't go thirsty. Once the dwarf is filled in on the history and plan, Alastair raises the topic of terms and will start introducing the rest of the party as opportunity allows.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by Jack »

Sammy sits down next to Alastair, introduces himself to the dwarf, and gestures to Lastel for ale.

"Are we ready to leave today?"
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Tamerlaine »

Jack wrote:Sammy sits down next to Alastair, introduces himself to the dwarf, and gestures to Lastel for ale.

"Are we ready to leave today?"
OOC: I'm going to say the mage is sitting at the table as well.

Duin gives Sammy a once over, sort of a professional assessment while licking the grease from the fingertips of one beefy hand.

"Eager to get back to this keep, eh?" the dwarf asks. "Me price is five gold a week with a sign on bonus of five gold to be paid in advance. I provide me own kit. Deal? The quicker ye say yes, the quicker we can leave."
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair draws 5 gold from his pouch immediately.

"Mr. Stonefell, I believe you're well worth your price," he smiles and starts to rise so that his face is blocked from all but Duin and adds quietly, "If facts should show otherwise we will of course revisit this. "
Last edited by SterlingBlake on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Tamerlaine »

The dwarf takes the five gold coins and stacks them one on top of the other, eying the others before palming the gold and putting them away. He barely nods in response to Alistair's hushed remark and takes on a fresh tankard of ale. Finishing it off with just a few long chugs, he smiles after letting loose a rather loud belch.

"Well, then," he begins after rising to his feet. "If'n you all are eager to get going, give me leave to fetch me pony. I'll meet you all outside this tavern in a few." He shoulders a shield and lifts the rather heavy looking hammer with a gnarled hand and saunters outside.

OOC: Any last IC comments, thoughts, make them now.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Tamerlaine »

The party doesn’t wait long before Duin shows up leading a stout and gentle pony ladened with the dwarf’s gear and supplies. The party moves on, going back the way they came. The dwarf keeps to himself, often smoking his pipe or drinking from a small cask strapped to the pony he calls Ol’ Bowb. A couple of days pass and once again the party find themselves at the sight of their first and last battle with the giant rats.

You are in the trees north northeast of the old keep.
herostyle
Squire
Squire

#54 Post by herostyle »

Alfri had spent his time tending to Deldo's wounds, assiting the healer as best he could, which was not as much as he had hoped. His time turned instead to prayer, asking Pelor to heal Deldo and protect the others as they venture out again into the wilds. Now, traveling with his companions once more, Alfri was more alert in his saddle, more intent on his surroundings and more dedicated to protecting those around him from harm. Pelor had shown Alfri that the young cleric was this troupe's light in a darkening world, and only through vigilance could that light stand against harm's shadow.
Keep of Shadows (S&W Core)
Alfri von Drach - Lawful Cleric of Pelor (1), HP: 6/6, AC 5
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by SterlingBlake »

"Our time to best approach the keep from this position, gents, is dawn so that the sun is at our backs and the walls illuminated clearly before us. Let us await our moment and be ready!"
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Jack »

Sammy nods, "Dawn."

Keeping as far away from Ol' Bowb and Alfri's mount as he can, Sammy looks at the tunnel entrance to see if it's still collapsed, and then investigates the dead body.
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by SterlingBlake »

"I suggest a cold camp tonight, gentlemen, if you can stand it. And a double watch. Let us stand 5 watches of 2 and a half hours so we can each have a full night's rest. I'll volunteer for the split watch of first and fifth. Duin, would you be so kind as to take first and second?"

Alastair is curious to see how well Duin holds up with all that ale in him after the sun sets.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Tamerlaine »

Placing a feedbag at the pony's muzzle, the grizzled dwarf nods. "Aye, I kin stand first and second watch," he replies. "Makes for a better rest when me time is come to bed down. Ye all settle down easy. I'll let ye know if there's a even a whiff o' trouble." With that, Duin lights his pipe and walks a short perimeter with his heavy hammer resting against a shoulder.
SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#59 Post by SterlingBlake »

Alastair finds a tree from which he has good visibility and readies his bow.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by Jack »

-3 trail rations
"4th and 5th." Sammy says while quickly finishing off his remaining rations for the day, and prepares for another night of uncomfortable sleep in his armor.

Return to “Keep of Shadows (S&W Core)”