2. Into the dark

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2. Into the dark

#41 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle decides there is nothing for it but to climb out of the water, and hope against all expectation that the archers don't shoot him down while does so. Sticking his head out of the water, he yells "BREE-YARK! We surrender!" and scrabbles for a solid purchase.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Spartakos »

Bedwyr spouts curses that involve four pantheons and some highly improbable carnal references. He rolls over, lying flat to hopefully make a poorer target, and extends his arm and bow out to the water. "Grab hold, you--" he finishes with a chain of appelations so vile and exotic that it's likely Oelle doesn't even understand some of them.

Not sure if I roll here, or if Oelle should...
[2d6] = 3
...and I repeat many of Bedwyr's words. :mrgreen:
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by mb. »

Just as Oelle comes to the surface, Bedwyr extends over the edge of the path and puts his bow almost directly into Oelle's hand. As Oelle grabs it, the archers loose and two arrows fly at Bedwyr! One smashes against the wall behind him, and one thunks into his shoulder! Take 1d8 Bedwyr.

I'm fine with Oelle grabbing the bow without a roll, but please roll+STR to Defy Danger, the danger being staying in the water. And I'd suggest Bedwyr has triggered the "Aid" move:
Aid or Interfere
When you help or hinder someone , roll+bond with them. ✴On a 10+, they take +1 or -2 to their roll, your choice. ✴On a 7–9, they still get a modifier, but you also expose yourself to danger, retribution, or cost.

So please roll+0 (no bonds with Oelle) to help Oelle get out of the water. Obviously Bedwyr should roll for Aid before Oelle rolls to Defy Danger.

Boggs, the archers in the arcade are in place with bows drawn targeting you! What do you do?
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs feels his way down the passage in the dark with his hand on the right wall, hoping to find a stairway going up.
My apologies to my teammates, I'm really not trying to abandon you guys. At the moment I am at a loss for a way to handle these archers.
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by mb. »

Boggs, as you move further from the round chamber, two arrows clatter along the floor behind you. Although it has become almost completely black, your hands find an opening in the wall: wide enough for one person to pass through it, and only an arm's length in blocked by a gate of thick steel bars. Feeling around the gate, your fingers find a well oiled lock...
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:My apologies to my teammates, I'm really not trying to abandon you guys. At the moment I am at a loss for a way to handle these archers.
No worries, we're in a sticky situation, and we're all doing whatever we can to hold off a TPK!
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Spartakos »

[1d8] = 2 arrow damage to Bedwyr
At last, my low rolling ability is useful! :) Does my armor reduce that by 1?
Aid [2d6] = 11 to help Oelle out of the water
Yusssss!

Bedwyr winces as the arrow pierces his mail, but fortunately his armor stopped it partway, so it barely penetrated his flesh. Ignoring the sting, he stretches and feels the jerk on the bow as Oelle's hand grasped it. With a heave of sinewy muscle, he rolled over, hauling on the bow and trying to pull Oelle out like a fish from the brook.

+1 for Oelle, don't say I never did anything for you. :) And don't worry, Boggs...find us a way out of this rat trap!
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by KingOfCowards »

Cursing that he left his torch behind, Boggs grabs flint & steel out of his pack to light another. He'll pull out his pickpocket to attempt to open the gate.
Pick Locks: [2d6+2] = 7+2 = 9
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by mb. »

Bedwyr, the arrow only grazes your shoulder (yes, armor reduces it by 1) as you begin to help Oelle out of the water.

Oelle, roll+STR+1 to Defy Danger and climb out.

Boggs, you get a torch lit and easily pick this relatively simple lock, but as you pull the gate open it screeches loudly – I guess the hinges aren't as well oiled as the lock. As you had hoped, stairs ascend into the darkness a few armlengths past the gate...
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Pulpatoon »

Strength Test: [2d6-1] = 11-1 = 10+1=11!

Flailing around in blind desperation, Oelle hardly recognizes when the bow slaps his palm. Instinctively he grasps it tightly—an innate response, some distant part of his mind drones, observable in the youngest human infants. Some think it is as sign that the gods intended humans for ceaseless toil, that our hands automatically close upon a tool placed in it. Others have observed the same response in arboreal creatures. Perhaps the gods meant for us to climb trees?

With a mighty heave from Bedwyr, Oelle emerges from the water. Staying low, he rolls away from the water's edge as far as he can, hoping to make himself small in a dark corner. Water spreads everywhere from his throughly waterlogged cloak.
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by mb. »

Congrats on exorcising your dice demon!

Oelle, after even a few short moments in the water, you are chilled to the bone, not to mention dripping wet. Being soaked as you are, you notice for the first time that the chamber, open to the sky, and the cave mouth seem to create quite a draft, further chilling you. Lying on the damp stone path with three arrows still sticking out of you (two broke off during your underwater flailing) you're exhausted and in quite a bit of pain.

You're in no position right now to take stock and do anything about it all however - in the dark across the water there are still two gnolls, grinning evilly, arrows nocked, drawing their bows, intent on adding a fourth and perhaps fifth arrow to your collection. Or maybe they'll share them with Bedwyr, who knows?

What do you both do?

By the way, since Bedwyr just very clearly risked himself to save Oelle's life, I'd suggest you each add a bond with each other. I'm happy for you to make up anything suitable in the situation. Basically answer the question: what does Bedwyr/Oelle think of Oelle/Bedwyr now?.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs winces at the uncharacteristic noise he made opening the gate, but takes the steps two at a time with torch and shortsword in hand.
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by mb. »

Boggs, you dash up the stairs in the wavering light of the torch. There's a small landing at the top, which is the start of a long straight corridor going off to your right. It appears to be empty and you run to the end where an arch on the right opens a wide corridor curving away to your left and right. Arched openings, from waist height to a bit over your head and an armspan wide each, open into the waterfall chamber below at regular intervals. On the wall across from each opening is an empty socket, obviously intended to hold a torch. Cool spray drifts through the arches, and the arcade is damp, though not as wet as the tunnel below.

You're standing in the archway at the end of the straight corridor, and the arcade curves off to your left and right. What do you do?
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle is admiring of Bedwyr's competence and resolve—the elf pulled him out of the water when all Oelle could do was dither and fall.

Bond: Oelle hopes to learn from Bedwyr's example.

Oelle shrugs out of his wet coat, which is too heavy with water to bother wearing, and will only increase his chill. He tries to spread the cloak out in front of himself and Bedwyr, in order to make an obscured target for the gnolls.

Oelle to Bedwyr: "Sh-should we run? After Boggs?"
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by mb. »

Good idea! Just as the gnolls let their arrows fly, you hold your heavy, wet coat up, covering you and Bedwyr both.

They've got you in their sights, and the coat's not necessarily going to stop an arrow dead, but how about this: roll+DEX to Defy Danger. On a 10+, you swipe them away, no harm done. On a 7-9, they pass through the coat, but slowed, doing only 1d6 damage.

And for the bond, maybe a little more specific, like "I hope to emulate Bedwyr's heroic self sacrifice."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Pulpatoon »

Bond: Oelle hopes to emulate Bedwyr's heroic self sacrifice. Okey-doke!

[2d6] = 10
Oelle displays his heretofore undiscovered ninja-toreador skills!

Oelle boggles at his own improbable success. He's acting more like a hero already!
mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by mb. »

The gnolls mouths hang open, tongues lolling out, as the pincushion blocks their arrows with a f#$%ing coat. Now would be the perfect time to run, if that's what you want to do...
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs dashes down the left passage.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Pulpatoon »

Run, Oelle does!

He'd planned on throwing his waterlogged cloak away, but now he holds it over his head like an aegis—who knows, maybe it picked up an enchantment, somewhere? Maybe... maybe it's magnetic to arrows?! He runs in the direction he saw Boggs disappear in, with all the speed that his arrow-festooned body will allow.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Spartakos »

First...damn, you guys move fast sometimes! Once a day is about the best I can manage most of the time. Are there formal/discrete periods of time in this game, or does my lack of access translate to fewer actions?

Despite himself, Bedwyr finds himself liking the bookish wizard...though he will maintain his attitude of exasperation and mild contempt, he wants Oelle to live through this escapade. What's more, he thinks this could be a valuable education for the already-educated, about the harsh natures of reality.

Bond: Bedwyr hopes to help Oelle live long enough to learn from the school of hard knocks.

Rolling up to a crouch, Bedwyr runs his bowstring quickly between pinched fingers, wiping moisture away (hopefully) before it can penetrate the waxed cord and ruin the tension. As the archers loose once more, he is mildly astonished to see Oelle sweep aside their shafts with a lucky flourish of his heavy overcoat.

In answer to the doctor's question, Bedwyr's mind races...he knows nothing of what's ahead, save that there are more archers, and he knows nothing of Boggs's fate, though he knows the curmudgeonly thief for a tough survivor. But he sees the blood on Oelle, and knows that staying here would be suicide.

"Go," he says in a surprisingly mild voice to the bedraggled magician. "And keep your head down. I have mongrels to kill."

With that, he snaps another arrow to the string, draws, and looses.

Volley [2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11
[1d10] = 3 arrow damage

Can I do a fighting withdrawal, shooting as I back towards the circular room?

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”