The Cave Of The Unknown

OGRE MAGE
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: The Cave Of The Unknown

#41 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"I don't feel we should attack. They may be hostile, but they did warn us off and only threatened. They also don't know our intentions, so if we were to approach them now, they would be well within their rights to consider our actions aggressive and threatening. I vote we try to swing wide and get past them, but be wary when we return."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan calms down "Oh, right. Though it does raise the question who were they and why are they out here in the woods? None of the maps indicated there would be a settlement out here right? True they warned us off but what are they doing? Investigating them or the caves both sound like adventures to me." he comes to the conclusion.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"I agree we should try swinging round and evading them. Although we need to do so as quietly as possible. We don't know who they are or why they are here, for all we know they are actually living in the cave of the unknown, in which case we don't want them to hear us coming. "

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"Lead on, I'm ready,"
he says, spear in hand, ready to get moving.
Winter is coming...

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"If we are going to avoid them. Let's head up the trail towards the Caves of Chaos for about 10 minutes at then head west through the woods. We should either hit the trail we were on or the clearing around the Caves of Unknown. Magdal counting on you to keep us on course."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#46 Post by OGRE MAGE »

gurusql wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:40 am Renna

"If we are going to avoid them. Let's head up the trail towards the Caves of Chaos for about 10 minutes at then head west through the woods. We should either hit the trail we were on or the clearing around the Caves of Unknown. Magdal counting on you to keep us on course."
If this is the idea, I will take 3 tracking rolls from Magdal along with her next action post, please.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal leads them into the forest as distantly away from the direction that the voice came, as possible. Slowly leading them into growth.

I'm out of town for a few days. I couldn't figure out how to attach my rolls on my phone.
Last edited by Darithe on Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by sastaz »

Sylla agrees to the detour.

"This sounds wise. If I recall the maps at the grand library correctly, the 'Cave' of unknown looked very much like an old mining operation than anything else. It did not seem like a place to live for humans, but you humans know that better than me. I would assume the ones threatening us are either seeking to explore the Cave as well, or they have a settlement here nearby. Either way, it seems nothing is gained from engaging in unnecessary bloodshed."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by sastaz »

Darithe, with your permission, maybe one of us can roll for Magdal while you're out hof town? If the GM admits it.
Last edited by sastaz on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by Darithe »

Sure if someone wants to roll, that's fine. I did roll, I just couldn't attach the code for the rolls. I don't have an I-phone. Samsung and I normally use my PC.
Last edited by Darithe on Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by sastaz »

If you go to the Dice Roller, Character page, you can press the "Search" button (not very logical, I know) for your character. It will show you a list of all rolls. If you click the "Roll ID" for a specific roll you will get to the page you got when you rolled, where you can copy the code.

Or maybe you mean you just don't manage to Paste the code in the forum on your specific phone. In that case, disregard this. On iPhone, holding down the finger for a few seconds will bring up the contextual menu which has a Paste option. If you already copied some text.

Last edited by sastaz on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308

#52 Post by Scott308 »

When you roll, the results page has a number of options. Hit the copy button to the right of the link on the top line, the PbP Forum code. Then paste it in your post. I like to put mine in spoilers, but it isn't necessary.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"A mine? Do you know what they mined? Maybe they have started mining again, or are using it to store contraband."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#54 Post by OGRE MAGE »

All good Darithe! I can see the rolls you made and can also NPC Magdal if/whenever necessary.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Searching For The One Cave
Second Detour
Partly Sunny, Late Morning

Licking their proverbial wounds, the group wisely takes the advice of the voice, moving up the road towards the suggested “other” caves, likely inviting less scrutiny from the trees if they are indeed being watched.

Well out of earshot, they turn towards the trees again, entering the forest behind the lead of their novice ranger. The trees here are old, and the underbrush thick, making travel through this woods slow and tedious. It takes a good deal of time and patience , but Magdal believes she leads the group fairly close to due north of where they were on the road.

Hoping she is right, and can quickly locate some sign of a trail through the trees, Magdal has the others hunker down in one place while she searches…..and searches…..and searches. She starts to get nervous when she can’t find anything out of the ordinary, about to return to tell the others there simply is no trail. Until suddenly, she spots a boot print on the ground, then another, then a few more.

The delay burns a couple of hours of precious daylight, but the young huntress triumphantly returns to the group, eventually leading them all back to a very feint trail she found running north and south. There is certainly no way a cart of any kind rolled through here, but clear footprints are periodically found leading deeper into the forest. This appears to be a foot trail the voice you heard may have been guarding.

Actions?

Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 8/9
Renna Kellamin AC4 9/9
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Once she leads the others to the trail she warns them to be on the alert, as prints are visible on the trail and they were there recently. "So please move as quietly and swiftly as possible and be ready for sudden trouble. I don't think we're the only ones interested in the cave."

Back home now, we ran into rain and headed back.

Scott308

#57 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"Any idea how many we might be looking at?" asks the paladin, concerned with his ability to travel very quietly.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna will give a friendly pat on the shoulder to communicate a great job by the young ranger. She will wait for the answer to the Paladin's question and if the number is unknown or equal to or smaller than our group she will urge the group to push forward before being discovered.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan watches their surroundings for any movement while the others try to discern the number of people by the tracks.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc gives his fellow Longspearman an affirming nod and gets ready to move out...as quietly as he possibly can...which may be a little quieter than Croebus, but not by much.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”