Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#41 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He exclaims and continues to wave the torch around, now blindly. "Ah Gods! They Spit! It burns!"

The Knight instinctively backs away, trying to re-enter the corridor.

Torch: [1d20]=17
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid gives a satisfied sigh as those above fall and perish. She takes a moment to access where all the remaining creatures are and if there is room to move forward. At the sound of Sir Dewey's voice she looks towards the side room to see if he is still in sight and then looks for Vann trying to figure out where he is in relation to her. She thinks over the spells in her mind, pondering which might be of the most use.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Vann Hector's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+1]=17+1=18 [1d8]=8

Faced with two large slugs, I will stab out at one, trying to sever any feelers that locate me or better still, dismember the beast completely.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by Darkmane »

moorheeth

Watching the slimy slugs fall to the ground due to the sleep spell, Moorheeth will crush any that are still alive!

Staff attack: [1d20]=18, damage: [1d6]=4
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, Duchy of Aerik.

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

The group take on the slithering, slimy and acid spitting creatures. The numerous slugs bewitched into sleep by Sigrid can be dispatched with aplomb by the accompanying guards, Moorheeth and Bharazd'had.

In the side room, a former guard bunkhouse, now a slug nursery, Sir Dewey puts another of the creatures to the torch. Sigrid assesses where her skills might be best used. Cosmo conjures a rainbow of mesmerising colours, enticing the touchy-feely tentacles of the giant slug in the mess hall to sway entranced by the invocation. The oversized cow is not impressed by the sudden surge of colour though her collective of baby slugs that slither in the hall all stop to raise swaying heads that follow the wavy kaleidoscope patterns before wilting under the hypnotic influence.

The giant slug spots in disgust. A large stream of burning acid and goo that splashes around the gnome. -2hp
Inside the store chamber, Vann Hector cuts open a large slug, slicing entrails and innards to spill out upon the floor. The second one sidles up to the elf and from point blank range spits upon him and reaches to nibble at the freshly melting elf. -4hp

actions please
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"@#£!" he says, using some elven expletives, concerned that his charming face melts beyond repair.

Vann Hector longsword melee [1d20+1]=11+1=12 damage [1d12]=3

He stabs out at the second fat slug and looks around for any salt barrel.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The knight backs into the hall and takes in the whole situation. "More of the bastards in the side room, see if you can't put those to sleep as well. I'll deal with Mom here."

He throws his torch at the Giant slug, then pulls his flail and shield moving to engage.

Torch throw: [1d20]=6
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Hearing Sir Dewey's call, Sigrid turns her attention to those foes in the side room, she again shouts, "SVEFN!", as tiny grains of sand fall from her raised hand.

Chance to retain cast spell:[4d6+1]=14+1=15

And sighs as the spell falls away from her memory like shattered glass from a frame.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

The action spreads across the interior rooms of the barrow. In the storage area, the large slug spots more acid at the elf in the hope of adding freshly frazzled elf to its diet of rotten vegetables. The gobbed blob sizzles on the wall as Vann Hector dodges away into the pile of crates and stacked barrels.

In the Mess Hall, a similarly melting figure, the acid sprayed Cosmo rallies and hacks out at the giant slug as it lunges at him to bite his head off. Swinging a mighty hack of the enchanted pick, he is more surprised than most as he penetrates its head and cleaves a huge hole.

-16hp critical hit!

With a rallying cry, Sir Dewey charges at the giant creature with the Krothos guard behind. Surrounding the creature with multiple stabbings, -12hp.

Sigrid, Moorheeth & Bharazd'had put to sleep then to death the numerous baby critters that litter the side room.

Bleeding from numerous wounds, the giant slug cow tries to slither away over the statue barricade and up the staircase. On the way it attacks the mob surrounding it but feebly spews an aimless dribble of acid.
Advantage to the group, some successful attacks might end the encounter. next attacks please

Attachments
Slug in the Barrow
Slug in the Barrow
Screenshot_20220802-014818.png (337.69 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

If I can use the crates and barrels to dodge behind and snipe from, that is better to shield myself. Taking out my twin crossbows, I will trigger them aimed at the last large slug.

Vann Hector: triggers hand-held crossbows (dual-wield penalty) [1d20-1]=1-1=0 [2d4]=5 [1d20-3]=19-3=16 [2d4]=4
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"It's running! We've got it now! Redouble attacks and bring it down!" The Knight bolsters the group and attacks the slug, hoping to end this battle.

Morningstar(19): [1d20]=14 (used the wrong macro, my mistake)
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(2+1)=3+2=5 L:[1d6+2]=1+2=3
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid moves forward so that the creature is within her sights as she begins to speak her native tongue, threading the old words in her speech as she was taught for the incantation. She points one slim finger at the thing and says, "Ljosta!"

Magic Missile: [1d4+1]=1+1=2

To retain the spell vs. 14 Intelligence: [4d6+1]=9+1=10
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

tests his weapon on the nearest mollusc: Magic miner's pick: to hit [1d20+1]=7+1=8, DMG S/M [1d6+2]=4+2=6 L [2d4+1]=6+1=7

while also performing a quiet Spell level 1 skill check vs (16) intelligence [4d6+1]=14+1=15 to retain that last spell.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

Arcane energy ripples across the Mess Hall to assail the giant slug with fire and magic. The extending tentacles on the creature, writhed in fire shrink back into its head and blinded, it spits another gob of acidic goo that splatters more of the staircase. Surrounded, it becomes easy prey to the combined blades and the creature is cut open and slain.

Vann Hector shields himself behind the barrels and triggers bolts that impale the greedy slug. It excreted a blob of acid but that splatters and dribbles down a wall. With the mother cow slug dead, the group can assist and overwhelm the creature next round.

Finally, after a frantic few moments, the interior of the barrow is yours.
There are injuries that could be addressed. Both Vann Hector and Cosmo are wounded. The men of Krothos can help clean the place up, tossing baby slugs bodies out of the entrance. The two large slugs could be placed in the sarcophagi and with finding a barrel of salted goods, that could be poured out to shrivel their carcasses.

The giant slug is a big problem. But with enough ropes and more 'Tug of War' heave-ho pulling, aided by the bulky lizardman, you can also rid yourself of the great beast.

actions. I will let you all catch breath and make an action then I will describe the current set up with the former ritual room and the bronze doors.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Vann Hector's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+1]=1+1=2 [1d8]=1

Just as well we can overwhelm the critter. Yes I like the cleansing of the hall and stairs of slugs. I feel we might be in here a while (waiting on the update regarding the Bronze door and beyond). I can give a first aid kit to Moorheeth to use on binding my wounds, as a cleric his Wisdom should be higher than mine.

I guess spiritual or magic skills are needed next. So I am fine with just translating with Bharazd'had and any literature we find.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight assists in clean up and removing the carcasses while congratulating everyone for a good fight. "Smart work on putting them to sleep, and what was that color thing you did, Cosmo? It looked like the beasts stopped to dance or something. Good on you with the fire, Sundance. Quick thinking. Excellent work all around."

After things settle down, he starts to lead the group down to the lower chamber.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth Meer

I’ll use a healing kit, if helpful, and also wipe down my staff with something expendable to rid it of slime…

Use healing kit [3d6]=11 wis 15
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Relieved to see the last and biggest of the slugs fall, Sigrid moves about larger room looking around like she expects more to ooze out of a shadowy corner. When satisfied that won't happen she takes a seat and removes her goatskin spellbook from her backpack and begins to study.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Spearmint »

I will update here later. It is 3.00 am and I am tired. Will edit and post later this evening.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Spearmint »

I will wait another half a day for Cosmo and then update this expedition later this afternoon.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”