Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

#41 Post by Spearmint »

Dougal has a scout around the mound as folk take bearings. There are definite tracks, bootprints by a mixed group that go directly eastwards. They have certainly passed this way, investigated the skeleton arm and departed. You figure a mixed group based on boot prints sizes, maybe a canine creature too judging from the paw prints.

A second set of tracks skirt the north of this barrow mound, not encroaching upon the hillock but going in a north west direction. Again this looks recent, maybe a day or two old.

If you wish to follow any of these just note which one or you can follow the perimeter of the mound meadow that birders the boggy Moor and high grasses from the stony ground.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus watches with interest as Dougal indicates the signs of passage, noting the different sizes and depths that distinguish between individuals and animals. "Tracks to the east and northwest?" He asks rhetorically.

Moriartus gazes to the northwest, silently smoking his cigar for a minute while he considers their options. Finally, he points to the southeast towards the boggy edge of the barrow meadow. "I would prefer avoiding an encounter with another expedition. Please continue to lead the way along the border of the Moor, Mr. Dougal."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Aye, sir. Exactly my thought. Better tae avoid a faight or having tae help someone when we need all the ressaurces we can get for the expedition." Dougal keeps on scouting.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, southwest of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

17.10pm. Windy, light rain.
Light: Visibility poor, restricted to 60'ft radius. Lantern (Rickford) Lantern (Duval).
Effects: none.

I will keep this moving as you explore the area.

After discovering that some tracks lead in the initial direction they wished to take, Moriartus advises an about turn and so Dougal heads off a few yards in front paired with hireling Rickford to guide the way. You make you steps short, careful as the stony ground exaggerates each clump of heel or toe. You stick close to the moor fringe, heading south east as directed then walking the boundary. After a few hundred feet you can see the foot of a grassy knoll to the north. Another mound rising over an ancient tomb. You head towards it to scout out.

This grassy hill is ellipsoid shaped, like half an egg, with a narrow taper to the north. Going around the south wider edge of the hillock you come to an area of excavation. A chunk of the hill has been dug open and a stone seal exposed. The entrance slab is set in a frame of granite lintels and has been cracked open down the middle. Half the door remains in place, the other stone bits rebuilt but not mortared together, fitted loosely as though someone was piecing a broken jigsaw together.

In the excavated area are some broken jars, large earthenware pots that have handles broken or smashed completely. A sledgehammer has been cast to one side along with a huge spike, much like a marquee tent peg which is half covered in grime and dried blood.

Scattered about is the detritus of someone's previous excavation kit, bent and useless mess tins, emptied flasks.

You whistle the others to approach. The hirelings climb the short knoll to the summit, confirming they can only see the hill in all directions.

any actions here please.
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
How about I have a look at this portal? Unless you've been here before and know that's a bad idea...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

How about I have a look at this portal?
answered in your forum.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus gestures at the earthernware debris scattered about. "It would appear this mound has already been plundered." He gestures to indicate the reconstructed door with his smoking cigar. "That the door was also rebuilt suggests whomever was here resealed the portal, either to secure their encampment inside, or the treasure for future retrieval."

He shrugs at Fydmar. "I suspect it's not dangerous, but likely a futile exercise. Please feel free to investigate, though. The taper of the mound, however ..." He points to the narrowing of the raised earth to the north side. "That would serve as a suitable landmark for this corner of the meadow. Easily identifiable from a distance."

He casually kicks about at the various pieces of detritus for anything remotely useful. "Mr. Duval, please collect that sledgehammer. If the other mounds are similarly sealed, another hammer will prove quite useful. Mr. Dougal, please continue east when ready."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Dougal squats down in order to take a look at the earthenware in more detail and also trying to see if the place was left in a hurry or just, like it seems at first glance, was abandoned, perhaps temporarily, judging by the re-sealed door.

"A'rate, sir. But aren't ony af ye curious tae see what's insade this maund? If they reseeled the cave..."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Yes, Mr. Dougal, it is intriguing."

"However, if the mound is occupied by another expedition, assuming they are friendly and do not immediately attack us first, we still have little to gain with an encounter ..."

"... or those responsible could return at any time. I expect they would not greet our intrusion on their claim kindly."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

The ranger scratches his bearded chin while he stares at the door. "Fane. I guess ye're rate, sir. Let's keep on moving then." He takes a last look back at the site before they leave.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"If the portal is still sealed when we return, we can look inside. It's unlikely an expedition would be encamped that long, and the validity of an unguarded claim after a day here holds little legal basis ... in my opinion."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

Fydmar
How about I have a look at this portal? Unless you've been here before and know that's a bad idea...
He shrugs at Fydmar. "I suspect it's not dangerous, but likely a futile exercise. Please feel free to investigate, though
I gave Fydmar a brief description of what he can see beyond as he takes a couple of loose stones away to look beyond.

I will wait for his post and Marcel's and then act from a group consensus.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Paladin »

Marcel Gerard Desrosiers

The friar scratches his chin and looks with furrowed brow to and fro. "Could be that another expedition unearthed something, or someone, which merited resealing the door." He lifts one shoulder in a shrug. "But that may also mean that riches yet lie beyond the door. Worth the risk on our way back, I should think."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Once he hears that we will be moving on he focuses his attention on something coming out of the mist.
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
You're probably right. Let's move on...
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Mr. Marcel ... I had not considered that. Perhaps the portal was resealed to keep something in? All the more reason to bypass it, for now."

"Mr. Fydmar, did you perchance notice anything in your investigation of the door?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, southwest of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

17.20pm. Windy, light rain.
Light: Visibility poor, restricted to 60'ft radius. Lantern (Rickford) Lantern (Duval).
Effects: none.

The excavated area in front of the sealed portal certainly demonstrates hours of committed labour to dug out a path to the barrow entrance. The stone seal subsequently broken through and half rebuilt from the pieces. Fydmar using his craft and dwarven nous can confirm that no insidious traps, wires or alarms are fixed to the replaced stones. Taking one out of position like a 'jenga meister', he peers into the dark beyond but only sees a narrow entrance that proceeds maybe 30'ft with a small alcove set to one side about halfway in. It is dark and musty and smells of decay.

Deciding to leave further exploration alone, the stone is replaced and the cast aside sledgehammer added to group supplies. You travel perhaps a bowshot distance eastwards, the ground boggy from fringing the moor wetlands. At this point you have to go north and face climbing over or around another burial mound. The tumuli is large and round, a huddle of crooked trees grow on the eastern side. The moor encroaches the stony barrow meadow here and from within the long grasses emerge a horde of shambling figures. They reek of putrid decay, ashen and bloated with hollow staring eyes that have a demonic feral gleam and insatiable hunger. With long clawed hands they reach out drawn to the warm, succulent bloodied meat feast that present themselves.

actions please.

a little visual of the explored area. Each hex represents 120'ft. P is for Party.

Attachments
Barrow
Barrow
IMG_20211109_012334.jpg (605.78 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Vultures wing expedition
Vultures wing expedition
Screenshot_20211109-013140~2.png (254.42 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

He smelled, rather than saw, the shambling mass of bipedal, decaying flesh. The foul, acrid stench of death heralding their arrival. The actual sight of them was only marginally less offensive to his nerves. He attempts to quickly estimate their number, distance, and time to engagement. "Gentlemen?" He whispers, although with no real need to do so. "We have nothing to gain fighting these things. I suggest a rapid withdrawal to the bone yard."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"I agree let us make a quick withdrawal. They will have no possessions, no treasure - only pain and suffering for our troubles."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Dougal agrees. He nocks an arrow just in case, although he regrets not having something more blunt to crush bones in case it's needed.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”