Helix: Mercenary Guild.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Mercenary Guild.

#41 Post by Spearmint »

this conversation should take place in the Brazen Strumpet tavern thread as both of you are present there. So I will cut and post your message into that thread.

For your information I have opened the expedition thread, so you both need to post in that.

As far as acquiring mercenaries, that is something Eldon has asked about and I am awaiting his in character response here to finalise his enquiry.

If that is not forthcoming, then I will move the expedition thread as progressing without mercenary support.

Hit points, as detailed in the house rules, are regained at +1hp per day in a civilized setting. So your expedition starts once Savant recovers his -4hp. You returned to town upon May 9th, so the earliest Savant can leave town at full hp is May 14th.
torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#42 Post by torkill »

Eldon's eyes widened as the woman burst the dummy in to flame. Sarge lifted his ears and cocked his head. "We'll take her! That's fabulous." The halfling applauded. "Can you do that whenever you want? It's not healing, but seems way more useful than another blade in our mix."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Eldon reviews the guild cadets, taking a measure of each. Unsurprisingly, Sundance is the one that catches his eye, a dark haired, svelte half-elf.

Questioned regarding her 'hot hands', she shrugs.
"I have to study my craft each day but the invocations and semantics come naturally.

You need me to be your torchbearer? Sure, no problem."

She gathers her things and you complete the paperwork to contract her out from the guild to your employ. "Shows a lot of promise that one. You take good care of her now."

Sundance signs on for a half-share of experience award and a full share of treasure. As to guild fees, you pay her a minimal two days wage in advance -4gp, the Duchy levy -1gp and hiring cost -25gp.

I will add her to your expedition roster.
torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#44 Post by torkill »

Eldon agrees to the price and counts out the the required number of coins.

-30gp deducted
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Arriving at the mercenary guild on the 18th after his cure light wounds has healed him up, not wanting to appear too bruised and fragile in front of any swords-for-hire.

He approaches the reception, knocking on the door and entering.

"Hello. I am hoping you can supply me with a couple of able bodied torch-bearers. I ventured with Solly previously and he proved an able bodied guide. Perhaps he and another colleague would assist my latest endeavour.

I simply hope to gain safe passage to Bogtown. A place of rumoured never-do-well's and shifty characters. Nevertheless, I have cause to find the former Cromm Cruach elder in regard to his health and to gain his wisdom concerning village matters. I should expect to travel no more than. couple of days though one can never be sure."

Golgarth. Mercenary hire check vs Charisma 9 [4d6]=16

:(
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

'Grievous Bodily Harm'' smiles at the still bruised cleric, remembering he also gave him a battering at the Herne Spring Festival mud-wrestling event.

"Young Solomon. Yes he is available. Capable man who will do as he is asked.

You want two fellows? Hmmm ... How about I send out one of the mercenary apprentices. Look, see that one over there."

The massive half-orc points into the courtyard, past a variety of fighting men at arm's who train at practice tilts to the rear wall where several gather to climb an arched frame studded with hand grips and indents. One, a shaven headed man with a spider web tattoo shins up the wall with aplomb, his long fingers squeezing into narrow grips to secure him lest he fall.

'spider' Sidkrake. Turning his life around with some discipline. Perhaps venturing with a man of faith will keep him in the straight and narrow while you may avail yourself of his learned skills. He is quick with a blade and light of step. If you venture into Bogtown, he may fit in quite well with locals if you get my meaning."

As before, both mercenaries are hired at earning a half share of any xp reward but a full share of any treasure.

"Krothos taxes have hit the guild so admin fees are going higher next month. Until then, both are listed under 10/10 tariffs. That's 10gp and 10sp plus their wages at 2gp a day. But I'll do you a special deal and halve the cost on Sid so that he can go out and gain some experience under your guidance. Two days wages for them in advance, guild fees and Duchy taxes, comes to 24gp. Not even a twentieth of the price of a healing potion and twice the value."

If Golgarth is okay with that, mark your sheet. Solly & spider Sid will be available from the 19th.

Solly is listed as a F1 & Sid as a T1, profiles pics are in the NPC thread.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth -24gp, almost bankrupting himself to just a handful of coins left.

He signs the contract and tells Sid & Solly to be ready tomorrow, meeting outside the Silver Standard after breakfast.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The day after their return, Sven approaches The Mercenary Guild to discuss continuing their working arrangement with Amos and Truro.

"It is good to see you again, Eldon. I trust your men told you of our recent success? I am glad to report far fewer mishaps on this trip, as you can see by their safe return with minimal damage."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Osen,

Welcomes the young mage Sven.

"Quite a regular customer now aren't you?And this time you brought them both back alive and kicking."

You discuss another expedition.

"Both clerics are willing of course but therein lies my problem. Clerics are in short supply but high in demand. I have a reluctance to include both on a single expedition. Would you not consider a man of more martial experience instead?"

roll a charisma check or suggest improved
terms to sweeten any deal.

As far as official paperwork goes:

Amos is a 40/10 (C2/T1) costs 40gp hiring insurance, 3gp daily wages, 10sp in Duchy admin fees.
Truro listed as 15/10 (C1) costs 15gp, 2gp wages and 10sp fees.

(check the first post for fees. The Duchy tax will increase on June 1st from 10sp to 10gp)

Total: 64gp for a two day expedition.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#50 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Did Amos level up? I thought he was 30/10 at C2/T1 last trip?

CHR Check (9) [3d6]=14 I honestly don't remember the last time I was successful on a requested roll. Good thing this aint Vegas. :lol:

Sven nods at the mercenary proprietor.

"I understand. However, we were just about to check a mound where both clerics will come in extremely handy, so I would hate to lose either man."

The young mage slides over the requested fees, plus another 100 gold coins in a second stack.

"I would bet that you could put this extra gold to good use for your men, no? Maybe some better mattresses in the bunkhouse or a nice new addition to your training area? Would the extra fees help with your decision, good sir?"

Sven smiles at the man, hoping money talks as well here as anywhere else.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Spearmint »

Did Amos level up? I thought he was 30/10 at C2/T1 last trip?
I charged you short as each cleric/mage level is 15gp and 10gp for fighter/thief levels.

"Money always talks. I will put the coins towards fixing the shingles on the roof."

The two clerics will be available for your next expedition when you are ready to depart.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven nods at the solution.

“Sounds good. Thanks! We shall see you again upon our safe return.”

164 gp removed from party fund.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Spearmint »

May 15th 1066

Savant visits the Mercenary Guild to negotiate extending terms for Sundance and to request further hirelings, especially one who could handle a pack mule.

you agree to hire the elf mage' for another three days minimum and pay her wages in advance, -6gp

As to further torch-bearers, provide a 4d6 vs Charisma check. This is not strictly a pass or fail but indicates the kind of offer the guild will supply. Osen the Guildmaster has previous with Dalin you co-expeditioner. Though he lost a hireling, Dawg Dann dying in the trade route to Ironguard in suspicious circumstances, the body was recovered and given a funeral in the village. The next of kin informed and we'll compensated. So you have some favourable terms in that regard.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin will attempt to try and round up some help from the mercenary guild for the upcoming expedition.

CHA 10 [4d6]=14
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#55 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant lets him know that he's been in the last three trips to the barrows, despite not having been here before, as Sundance can attest.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Spearmint »

Check [4d6]=18 vs 10.

The Mercenary Guild

Osen, hmms. Your charisma checks do not impress him, he seems dubious regarding your expedition ambitions. But he nonetheless has a courtyard of willing barrow-fodder that are keen to risk life and limb in pursuit of some lucre reward.

"Mules I have. Both beast and ignoble delinquents. Neither show much initiative, happy to be led down the road by a carrot dangling in front of their noses.

Eamoon and Eeyore. I can send another too. Redruth was going to bear his shield for another but he will serve you well. Experienced man."

He calls into the courtyard and signals a rough looking man in chainmail bearing a longsword and kite shield. "Red, I am commissioning you into the care of young Savant and Dalin here. Serve them well as your duty." He will come for 1/2 share of XP and trove.

Eamoon is a scruffy yokel more accustomed to life in a farm than battlefield. Still he handles Eeyore the mule well and will act as torch bearer and camp side. He bares the basic of expedition necessities, padded armour, a broadsword and tinpot helm. The mule has saddle bags and blankets and could be loaded to carry quite a burden.

He will come for 1/2 share of trove.

-22gp covering two days wages and all the admin fees.

If you agree, the contracts are signed. Post here you acknowledge them and deduct the coinage. I will then update your expedition thread.
LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#57 Post by LordKane77 »

Agreed! Perfect!
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin will split the cost of hiring the mercs. I'm deducting 11 gp from my inventory
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus visits the Guild to close the mission contracts with Two-Bird, Rickford, and Duval. As promised, he omits the incident between the charmed Rickford and Cadeweed in his mission summary. "Both men fought bravely and under extreme conditions where many would have fled. They served honorably and are exemplary examples of the Guild. Miss Two-Bird's also continues to be an invaluable resource of counsel and serves Sylvanus well."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen takes your references, adding notes in the ledgers of each if the hirelings. He is glad that this time you bring all the men back.

"The experience has served all of them well. I believe Two-Birds will take a few days Sabbatical to pay her respects and devotions before returning to her contract at the end of the week. The boys are living it up I hear, I granted them a couple of days rest and respite which they have taken advantage of. A fool and his gold some parted, but then what of enjoying life while we can. It is soon taken from us."

You chat, sharing some news of your expedition. Encounters on the trail, the all pervading mist. He has no news of the Bennerjake twins. Ruefully he shakes his head considering their likely fates.

He can ready more hirelings at your request, penciling in the cleric of Silvanus subject to other demands.

Return to “Settlement: Helix”