The Low Lantern

hedgeknight
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

Re: The Low Lantern

#41 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:51 pm Tommy's head and heart feels like they are about to explode from the poison his internal system is trying to expunge from his body. Taking deep breaths, so as not to pass out, a minute or two passes, and he realizes he is going to be alright. However, he keeps looking at the drawer, and thinking about the chest at the foot of the bed...should it give the drawer another try? Or the chest?
tommy nods and mutters with a grin "here we go again"
moves to the desk and this time with deliberate moves he inspects the needed opening to check if the trap resettled itself or if he will need to take preventive actions at this pace being poisoned twice in this room and having tasted he would have tasted Laraela's sweet honey, he'd still do it again

rolls
Perception: [1d20+4]=7+4=11
thieves tools: [1d20+5]=7+5=12
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by hedgeknight »

I swear to God I posted Saturday night in this thread...where the hell is the post??
I'll try to recreate it later. Hopefully, my rolls can be retrieved...
:x :x
Winter is coming...
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:08 am tommy nods and mutters with a grin "here we go again"
moves to the desk and this time with deliberate moves he inspects the needed opening to check if the trap resettled itself or if he will need to take preventive actions at this pace being poisoned twice in this room and having tasted he would have tasted Laraela's sweet honey, he'd still do it again
rolls

Dude...what are you doing?

Addled and having already used up two of his "nine lives" in this room, Tommy takes a look at the drawer, sees that the trap has reset, inhales the aroma of Laraelra's "sweet honey" around his whiskers, and decides to "do it again." Thus, he is only mildly surprised when the needle jabs him again in the hand/paw. (1 hp damage)

Tommy's tongue turns black and he falls heavily as his lungs and heart begin to slow down, threatening to stop altogether.
Roll your 1st Death Save please...
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm
Belkregos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:08 am tommy nods and mutters with a grin "here we go again"
rolls

Dude...what are you doing?

Addled and having already used up two of his "nine lives" in this room, Tommy takes a look at the drawer, sees that the trap has reset, inhales the aroma of Laraelra's "sweet honey" around his whiskers, and decides to "do it again." Thus, he is only mildly surprised when the needle jabs him again in the hand/paw. (1 hp damage)

Tommy's tongue turns black and he falls heavily as his lungs and heart begin to slow down, threatening to stop altogether.
Roll your 1st Death Save please...
:shock: i was trying to disable the trap first :shock: not sure what the roll should be i thought it was perception to detect then thieves tools to disable but in any case, the death save is a con save right? here it is

save
con save: [1d20+4]=11+4=15
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by hedgeknight »

The locked/trapped drawer was a DC 15...and you rolled a "12" twice ;)
And the Death Save is not a CON check; it's just an unmodified d20 roll:

Death Saving Throws
Whenever you start your turn with 0 hit points, you must make a special saving throw, called a death saving throw, to determine whether you creep closer to death or hang onto life. Unlike other saving throws, this one isn't tied to any ability score. You are in the hands of fate now, aided only by spells and features that improve your chances of succeeding on a saving throw.

Roll a d20. If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail. A success or failure has no effect by itself. On your third success, you become stable (see below). On your third failure, you die. The successes and failures don't need to be consecutive; keep track of both until you collect three of a kind. The number of both is reset to zero when you regain any hit points or become stable.

Rolling 1 or 20. When you make a death saving throw and roll a 1 on the d20, it counts as two failures. If you roll a 20 on the d20, you regain 1 hit point.

Damage at 0 Hit Points. If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.
You rolled an "11" (without modifiers) so you have one success; you'll need two more to stabilize. I'll let you know when to roll again.
Winter is coming...
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by hedgeknight »

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:51 pm "Now, what will it be? Fists or blades? First blood or unconsciousness?"
"Or death?" says Grimboot, the grey dwarf.
"Don't matter. Either way, I'm gonna beat the shit out of this pissant!" Ostis says, growling like an angry bear and looking ready to kill something. He currently doesn't have a weapon in hand, but his battle axe is strapped to his back. He's just waiting for the signal; his breathing is heavy and his eyes are bloodshot.
Knowing he doesn't stand a chance against the barbarian empty-handed, Hitoshi draws a scimitar from his back and a curved dagger from his belt. He takes a couple of deep breaths, murmurs something to his god, and squares off. There is a last call for bets to be placed...

blood spray.jpg
blood spray.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Not waiting for a last call or any signal, Hitoshi leaps in spinning with his scimitar and rakes Ostis across the chest, slicing to the bone! The barbarian staggers back, avoiding Hitoshi's curved dagger, while swinging wildly with his great axe.
Hitoshi narrowly avoids the axe which bites deep into the deck of the Lantern.
With a growl, Ostis jerks the axe free just as Hitoshi rushes back in, hacking and slashing wildly. Ostis manages to avoid both blades this round, and counters with a glancing blow of his axe, knocking Hitoshi backward into the ring of onlookers.
They push the bleeding sailor back into the fray, hollering with a savage bloodlust.
Hitoshi murmurs under his breath, feints right, slashes left and hacks Ostis in the side of the head!
Blood spurts as the barbarian drops his axe...and Hitoshi steps in, jamming the curved dagger into Ostis' neck.
Gore sprays several of the onlookers, causing them to roar even louder, and Hitoshi steps back as Ostis falls to the deck of the Lantern, his eyes glassy in death.

Men whoop and grumble, trading coins, paying up bets. Several slap Hitoshi on the back, one being Skadric who says, "Never knew you had it in you, Jade. Gives me something to consider should we ever cross blades."

Amrik claps his hands and three of the men move to the body of the barbarian to carry it away. Grimboot hurries forward first, unhooks Ostis' breastplate, and takes the great axe and javelin. "Breastplate might fetch a coin or two," the grey Dwarf murmurs, looking up at Amrik.
"Well, I guess that's all for now. Clean up the mess and let's get back to business."
"I'm going home," Hitoshi says, sheathing his blades and holding his bloody side and broken ribs.
"I'll keep the dice warm for ya," Skadric replies, heading back to the taproom.

Grimboot chuckles and looks at Vier'zt. "Might be ye next...Drow...if'n ye don't watch yer step."

And just like that, another life has gone back to the mud in Baldur's Gate, and not a tear shed about it.
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by hedgeknight »

Nine Lives No More...

Hovering between life and death, Tommy dreams of the last words told to him by First Speaker Quinlap from Candlekeep...something about seeking out help at some sorcery place in Baldur's Gate. His mind tries to wrap around the words, but it clouds over and the taste in his mouth gets more bitter as he realizes he is choking.
Hacking up a fur ball or two, Tommy hisses as something is jabbed into the soft fur on his stomach. Surely someone has gutted me with a dagger! his mind jumps, thinking the worst. The burning pain that follows causes him to cry out...and then nothing but blackness.
Am I dead? he wonders...

Pain.
And light, blinding light.
Tommy opens his eyes, slowly, blinking rapidly.
"Before I do what the poison could not do, tell me one thing: what the fuck were you expecting to find in my desk drawer?"
This hissed in his ear, laced with venom. Laraelra's voice. Nope, not dead yet...
Last edited by hedgeknight on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm Tommy opens his eyes, slowly, blinking rapidly.
"Before do what the poison could not do, tell me one thing: what the fuck were you expecting to find in my desk drawer?"
This hissed in his ear, laced with venom. Laraelra's voice. Nope, not dead yet...
my captain, i told you i am looking for the girl, any clue ,
is trying to help someone so rare its that hard to believe?
he tries to maintain his composure and asses his new situation
we can't help where our heart goes, i didn't mind you trying to poison me with the drink, we are who we are
he nods to the cup and then turns to look in to her eyes
i asked for this, i followed you and would do it again, i'm too stubborn for my own good, you are what you are and i like it,
his eyes shine and face glows with the memories of a few minutes ago 
if you don't feel the same way, well
(he shrugs his shoulder)
love is what we feel not the other, so often a one way street, if we can't direct where our own heart goes much less someone else's,
if anything, surely i'm worth something alive, at least you won't need to carry another body up the stairs, and if i get another 10 silver, i'll be right back waiting by that door 
smithy211
Runner
Runner

#50 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt, taken aback by the sudden death of a potential pawn, if not an outright ally. His face shows no emotion, there was none after all, but this seemed needless. Vier'zt handed the coin owed to the well dressed man, over, and gave him a nod. "Faster than I expected for those two, good show. I am called Vier'zt, not that is of any matter to you. A pleasure to meet you though." When the dwarf speaks up, Vier'zt cuts his eyes towards him, a grin spreading across his handsome face, "Indeed dwarf, it could be. And it could well be you. Or him, him or her." he points to random people on the deck, "Seems in this town, you never know when death may come calling."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by hedgeknight »

smithy211 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm Vier'zt, taken aback by the sudden death of a potential pawn, if not an outright ally. His face shows no emotion, there was none after all, but this seemed needless. Vier'zt handed the coin owed to the well dressed man, over, and gave him a nod. "Faster than I expected for those two, good show. I am called Vier'zt, not that is of any matter to you. A pleasure to meet you though."
Amrik ignores Vier'zt, at first, until he realizes..."Another Drow? Damn city seems to be breeding them!"
Amrik glances at Grimboot, shakes his head, and walks away, heading for the stairs.
When the dwarf speaks up, Vier'zt cuts his eyes towards him, a grin spreading across his handsome face, "Indeed dwarf, it could be. And it could well be you. Or him, him or her." he points to random people on the deck, "Seems in this town, you never know when death may come calling."
"Whenever yer ready to dance, ye let me know." Grimboot replies, patting the small axe at his belt.

Meanwhile...
"What girl?" Laraelra replies, still holding her blade, pressing it against the side of Tommy's throat. "We don't serve children here, and nobody brings their kids along when they are set on gambling and drinking. Speaking of, the drug in your drink was a stimulant. I didn't know it might stop your heart. If I'd have wanted you dead, I'd have taken care of that a long time ago."
She pulls back from Tommy and sheathes her knife. "Oh, and about your friend, the barbarian? He's dead. Lost his cool, then lost his life. It was out of my hands; Amrik set it up. This is my boat, but he tends to do as he wishes. Patriar privilege at its finest."
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:25 pm Meanwhile...
"What girl?" Laraelra replies, still holding her blade, pressing it against the side of Tommy's throat. "We don't serve children here, and nobody brings their kids along when they are set on gambling and drinking. Speaking of, the drug in your drink was a stimulant. I didn't know it might stop your heart. If I'd have wanted you dead, I'd have taken care of that a long time ago."
She pulls back from Tommy and sheathes her knife. "Oh, and about your friend, the barbarian? He's dead. Lost his cool, then lost his life. It was out of my hands; Amrik set it up. This is my boat, but he tends to do as he wishes. Patriar privilege at its finest."
Tommy's eyes widen as he hears the news of Ostis, still in shock he tries to answer the questions
Aurayaun, the girl from the blade and stars, she was supposed to be able to help Ostis control his impulses.... guess the help did not come soon enough....

his eyes wander off the the stars peeking through the cabin window as he reaches out with his mind to communicate with his friend only to receive deafening silence for response he can almost feel the cold void mocking their struggles to hold on to life, his mind screams in rage back to the empty void
We are eaten up by nothing! All that is transitory is but a metaphor!  OOC: i think i didn't specify this is not really audible as he is just using his mind to reach out to the void, using Awaken mind/telepathic speech

then looks at Laraelra speaking out loud
That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t!
his face hardens as the sharp features of the predator he is break through for a moment as he speaks the name "Amirk" then his face softens as fast 

struggle is what it means to be alive and free, maybe Amirk will value life a little more having a bit more struggle and suffering in his own.....after all There is scarcely any passion without struggle he winks to her but its clear he is trying to hide his grief  

i'll make arrangements for Ostis he starts to get ready to go out but holds for Laraelra to consent before continuing on
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by hedgeknight »

Aurayaun, the girl from the blade and stars, she was supposed to be able to help Ostis control his impulses.... guess the help did not come soon enough...

Laraelra frowns. "What does Aurayaun have to do with anything? I heard she had left the city. Left her lover, stole the sign off the tavern, and just 'poof' disappeared."

She then chuckles at the mention of Amrik and suffering. "That one knows nothing about suffering. He's been eating from a silver spoon all his life. He has coin and power and since his mother is one of the ruling Dukes of the city, he's basically untouchable, as are his other two brothers > the goon and the weirdo."
She walks over to the door, opens it and says, "Time to go, kitty cat. And if I ever catch you in my room again..."
She lets the words hang in the air, but the threat is obvious.
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm Laraelra frowns. "What does Aurayaun have to do with anything? I heard she had left the city. Left her lover, stole the sign off the tavern, and just 'poof' disappeared."
may be true that she intended to leave or who knows, but we were told a man with a scarred face was sending back the sign in pieces so he should know something, does "scarred face man" description ring any bells? Ostis needed her help.... but now.. i'd still want to help if i can
hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm She then chuckles at the mention of Amrik and suffering. "That one knows nothing about suffering. He's been eating from a silver spoon all his life. He has coin and power and since his mother is one of the ruling Dukes of the city, he's basically untouchable, as are his other two brothers > the goon and the weirdo."
might be a slow burn, but he'll get wats coming...
hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm She walks over to the door, opens it and says, "Time to go, kitty cat. And if I ever catch you in my room again..."
She lets the words hang in the air, but the threat is obvious.
yes, my captain he adjusts his belt buckle and walks out of the room intent on finding the details of what happened to Ostis and make arrangements
smithy211
Runner
Runner

#55 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt smiled at the dwarf and nodded, "We will have that dance one day then, dwarf. Don't doubt it." with that he turns to head back down and at least sit with his draw friends and try to find another way to learn about Amrik. Seeing Tommy, Vier'zt approaches him and motions for him to sit, if he will.

"I had bought drinks for your friend and I, I had wished to have conversation with others new to the city. The men playing dice got out of hand, one threw a mug at the other and somehow hit Ostis. They exchanged words, then all went above deck and they fought. Your friend fought well, if that matters to you."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 pm may be true that she intended to leave or who knows, but we were told a man with a scarred face was sending back the sign in pieces so he should know something, does "scarred face man" description ring any bells? Ostis needed her help.... but now.. i'd still want to help if i can
Laraelra looks at Tommy's face for a few long seconds, then closes the door. In a whisper, she says, "Amrik has two brothers > Mortlock and Thurstwell > and they are pretty much untouchable. They are powerful men, dangerous, and virtually above the law. Thurstwell is a sniveling wisp of a man, but Mortlock is a hulking brute...with several scars all over his face, neck, and arms. I would not be surprised if they are behind the disappearance of Lupeen's lover."
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Belkregos »

smithy211 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 am Vier'zt smiled at the dwarf and nodded, "We will have that dance one day then, dwarf. Don't doubt it." with that he turns to head back down and at least sit with his draw friends and try to find another way to learn about Amrik. Seeing Tommy, Vier'zt approaches him and motions for him to sit, if he will.

"I had bought drinks for your friend and I, I had wished to have conversation with others new to the city. The men playing dice got out of hand, one threw a mug at the other and somehow hit Ostis. They exchanged words, then all went above deck and they fought. Your friend fought well, if that matters to you."
Tommy was walking with purpose but stops seeing the Drow gesture, too restless to sit and listens to him

it's true then, he's dead... thoughtful for a moment
Man is condemned to be free; free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to guard his life in fear or throw it away by chancing the reaper
he was free and lived as he did, not perfect, i know,

shakes his head and his eyes refocus sharp with intention
I too am a man of many flaws i must admit and hard as i try i will say that one of them is that i am very resentful, i don't know why i find it so hard to forgive when my friends are hurt, even if they deserved it! i am patient though......so i'll be straight with you and ask, are you with this Amirk I hear?

Tommy's eyes narrow as he measures the Drow and his friends in te back table
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Belkregos »

Belkregos wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 am
smithy211 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 am Vier'zt smiled at the dwarf and nodded, "We will have that dance one day then, dwarf. Don't doubt it." with that he turns to head back down and at least sit with his draw friends and try to find another way to learn about Amrik. Seeing Tommy, Vier'zt approaches him and motions for him to sit, if he will.

Tommy was walking with purpose but stops seeing the Drow gesture, too restless to sit and listens to him

it's true then, he's dead... thoughtful for a moment
Man is condemned to be free; free to behave like a fool or a machine, free to guard his life in fear or throw it away by chancing the reaper
he was free and lived as he did, not perfect, i know,

shakes his head and his eyes refocus sharp with intention
I too am a man of many flaws i must admit and hard as i try i will say that one of them is that i am very resentful, i don't know why i find it so hard to forgive when my friends are hurt, even if they deserved it! i am patient though......so i'll be straight with you and ask, are you with this Amirk I hear?

Tommy's eyes narrow as he measures the Drow and his friends in te back table
Tommy eyes the pair of drow in the back table then returns to the one in front of him, holds his gaze for a moment...going with instinct, he decides Amirk might not own everybody here after all.....
yes, Im Tommy, I appreciate gesture and information, i'm sorry if i seem a bit tense after what just happened, if you want to continue the conversation im headed downstairs to try and think and decide on my next steps
he nods towards the stairs going down i'll see you downstairs or some other time im sure  and continues to the deck below
smithy211
Runner
Runner

#59 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt follows Tommy, speaking quietly, "Amirk, no I am not with him or aligned with him in anyway. I found him interesting though, and had thought to look into him as he seems to be the cause of much of the troubles in the city... allegedly of course. Your friends death, while unnecessary, would prove the rumors of his being the root of issues in the city to be true. I think anyway. You have no reason to apologize, I would ask you similar if the roles were reversed here. Tommy, it is good to meet you. I am Vier'zt.""
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by hedgeknight »

Lounge Deck...4:30 PM

This tavern lounge fills an entire deck and is lit by oil lanterns hanging from the 8-foot-high ceiling by 1-foot-long chains. The windowless deck contains a bar, couches, coffee tables, and other tables where patrons can socialize and gamble. Three bouncers stand in plain view across the deck. The bar is tended by a strange bird-like creature, resembling a raven. At the end of the bar, closest to the stairs, sits a man with red hair tied back in a ponytail; he is nursing a beer and looks sleepy.

Near the aft wall sits Amrik Vanthampur. He is alone and has his feet propped on a coffee table between two couches. Perched on the back of Amrik's couch is a strange creature. It is about 3' tall and covered with prickly spines. It has leathery wings and a tail also covered in spines. It cradles an odd pitchfork in its arms.

Spined_Devil.jpg
Spined_Devil.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Amrik looks up at Tommy and Vier'zt and calls from across the room, "So, have you finally worked up enough nerve to come for a loan?"
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”