3. Bittercreek to Troll Bridge (action)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 3. Bittercreek (action)

#41 Post by tibbius »

Jolene (you guess that's her) is dramatically sobbing now. The other two stylists - and the customers, who have recovered themselves from being trampled by miners and thugs - try to comfort her.

The club-wielding brutes wander aimlessly and somewhat sheepishly toward the front door of the salon.

What do you do?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#42 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Wraith approaches Joline, "I'm sorry about the loss of your blade. We didn't see who, but it is possible one of the miners who rushed through here took it." Looking at the others who are comforting her he asks, "Did anyone else see anything?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Nope, my vision isn't very good and my smell is not much use in a mob like that."
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax shakes his head "Sorry I dun told ya all I saw. I wish I could help more, maybe if we could get washed up we could try and search fer who took it."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by tibbius »

Jolene takes a deep gasping breath. She is profoundly affected by the loss of her blade.

"I guess, well, might as well keep going," she says shakily. "I just can't believe someone would steal that. Everyone knows how much it means to me! Why, I won the prize from the whole kingdom, even those big city stylists from Pillars couldn't touch my 'dos. What gave me the courage to start my own shop ... y'know people come here for haircuts, not just from Bittercreek, even the Lord Earnest and his family come visit, and that's a two day journey." Talking about her success seems to cheer her up.

She begins bustling around, organizing her assistants and the other customers to clean up the mess. The two with swords go one to each door of the salon and take positions like sentries.

After about an hour and a half, you get cleaned up professionally. It's mid afternoon. After you pay and step out the door, you see the rain has stopped.

Where do you go / what do you do?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by Squid »

Wraith

"I've not had a decent meal in over a week. I'm going to the tavern for a good meal and some ale. Maybe some of the locals will have more information about the goings on here." Wraith starts walking down the street, hoping to see a sign for the local tavern.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by tibbius »

You recall that the surly dwarf mentioned meeting at the Spoon and Cup. It's easy to find the sign with a spoon next to a tea cup. Going in, you meet a roomful of mostly dwarfs mumbling away the way dwarfs do. The room is a little smoky, not brightly lit, mostly natural light from north facing windows; the sort of place that's comfortable for folks who can see in the dark. There is a pleasant warmth from the fire smoldering in the hearth at the middle of the room. It vents through a stone chimney up between the joists of the floor above.

Looking around, you see the salty fellow with the silver beads in his beard. He's kicked back on a chair tilted to the wall, feet up on another chair, sipping from a steaming porcelain mug. Most of the others in the room have similar mugs. Grax recognizes the spiced mushroom tea that is favored among many dwarfs.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"MMM, mushroom tea, one of my favorites." Sealgair finds a spot where she can sit on the floor and have a bit of space at a table.

"I will take a mug of spiced mushroom tea please. Extra honey of course and whatever you have for a meal as well. Thanks."
GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax holds up a hand "I'll have some of tha tea, an whatever be the special fer me meal."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Never having tried wild mushroom tea, Wraith assumes it is good since it seems to be so popular. "I'll have some of the wild mushroom tea as well as the special of the day, thank-you."
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by tibbius »

You all settle down to refreshments and the attention of the silver-bead-bearded dwarf turns quickly to you.

"Well y'all look more presentable," he chuckles. "Miss Jolene done right by you. She allus do. So - you said you might intercede for us with the Eight. You look pretty good when you're cleaned up, but what exactly do you think you'll do, that will convince any of them owners to give us workers a fair break?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#52 Post by Squid »

Wraith

After trying the mushroom tea for the first time, Wraith gives an approving nod. He sets it on the table and leans back in his chair, taking in the atmosphere. Jolene's handiwork combined with warm tea has helped Wraith truly relax for the first time in many days.

Looking at the dwarf, Wraith asks, "What is your name? I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Wraith." Wraith then introduces Sealgair, Grax, and Elzarune in turn.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by tibbius »

The dwarf guffaws, which makes the beads in his beard clatter a little as his chest heaves.

"I'm Urd," he answers. "Sorry for me lack of manners. I'm that tizzied, I am. But - seriously - if ye aren't gonna keep the scabs from the mine ... not that it really seems feasible for four to do that ... if ye want to treat wi' the owners, what will ye do?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"No idea, do you have any ideas, you know the situation a lot better than us. For you to expect us to just walk in and solve your problems for you seems a bit silly. Now I am not saying we wont help, we want to just need some more info and maybe some ideas to discuss so we can come up with a good idea."
GreyWolfVT

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax gives a dwarfs greeting to Urd "Dunno not exactly a negotiator er nothin meself Urd. Names Grax by tha way. I s'pose I could always knock ther heads if it comes ta that."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by tibbius »

"I'm not sure," says Urd. "Days it would suit me fine to crack some wealthy skulls. But ... we gotta live here, y'see. And wivout the richies, how do we sell the salt? They have the contracts and arrangements with merchants. I dunno."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
GreyWolfVT

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

tibbius wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:09 am "I'm not sure," says Urd. "Days it would suit me fine to crack some wealthy skulls. But ... we gotta live here, y'see. And wivout the richies, how do we sell the salt? They have the contracts and arrangements with merchants. I dunno."
Grax scratches his beard thinking "Dun exactly know bout that. Can't be that only rich folk know merchants. If yer product is good then should be anyone can talk ta merchants ta buyin it."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"If its needed someone will buy it."
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by tibbius »

Urd shrugs, looking disappointed. Apparently he takes your words as some kind of mild rebuke. "I guess we'll solve our own problems," he says, frowning with one side of his mouth. He shrugs. "Not really your business I guess. You seem more like the dungeon looting types, no offense."

He bids you good day and steps out into the mildly cloudy sunlight.

Having shed any hint of obligation to the townsfolk, you entertain yourselves in the tavern. Along times you hear a few rumors about near and distant treasures.
  • at the peak of the Needle lives a dragon, fierce and wealthy.
  • a clan of trolls overtook the ancient bridge along the central trade route that winds through the mountains; they have gathered much in tolls.
  • in the southern marshes, a servant of dark forces gathers an undead army. Its minions already have pillaged several towns, sent some habitants to flight and "recruited" others. If the darkling could be vanquished, the lost loot of the townsfolk could be returned to its owners, for a fee.
  • the King is recruiting for a sortie against the verdant and wealthy kingdom to the north. Much is to be gained by spoils of war.
You discuss your options over dinner.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"How about we look for the trolls, sounds fun."

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”