Sage Advice

wolfpack
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Sage Advice

#41 Post by redwarrior »

Phil Meh. I like all my bits. But I like the world NOT overrun by demons even more. If called upon, I will do what I must. Not in any hurry though... But we get ahead of ourselves. The sacrifice hasn't been asked for yet. We don't know what it is, or who will be called upon. Looking to the Warden of Odin, Sir, tell us how we begin?

EDIT: Post-Coffee.
If you require the sacrifice now, so be it! Phil pulls Tolman's dagger out of his pack and places it on the table.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"I think an older way will be called for." Hildr looks at the dagger with a cringe, "If it is to be done I will do it, when my path was uncertain my faith in Odin set me on the correct one."

She reaches up and gouges her eye out with her fingers. Dropping it on the table.

I think Odin sacrificed his right eye, but am not 100% sure. She would choose the same eye Odin did.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by wolfpack »

Gustaf looks between Hildr and Phil

Only one can receive the knowledge, you must choose.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

Rex wrote:Hildr

"I think an older way will be called for." Hildr looks at the dagger with a cringe, "If it is to be done I will do it, when my path was uncertain my faith in Odin set me on the correct one."

She reaches up and gouges her eye out with her fingers. Dropping it on the table.

I think Odin sacrificed his right eye, but am not 100% sure. She would choose the same eye Odin did.
Chooses
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#45 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin seeing his half-sister reaching for the dagger acts too slowly "Foolish." he mutters hoping it is too low to be heard.

Balasar turns his head as Hildr cuts out her own eye. "Barbaric." is his only reaction.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Storm11 »

Storm throws up under the table.
Greys Campaign.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Stirling »

Saxony

"Before, at the death of great chieftains, maidens would immolate themselves on the longship pyres to accompany the spirit of the warriors into the halls of Valhalla. This sage says 'the sacrifice' will know what the cost is. I remember a phrase some devout acolytes spoke. They said, "I will not offer my God that which costs me nothing."

I don't believe this speaks vocationally to me to undergo some kind of amputative sacrifice. I am not afraid to die. It is given to all men to die and then face the judgement. If I have the privelege of knowing when I will day, surely my sword will be in my arms and I can call upon my ancestors watching my ascension. "Lo, there do I see my father ..."

The warrior shares hus thoughts then has another idea. Maybe the old sage is suggesting by innuendo that He is the sacrifice and that He must die. He could not kill himself. We must do it.

who wants to make a grab for the cudgel and bash his brains in?
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by wolfpack »

Old school plucking it out, yes odin plucked out his right eye

As the group watches the priestess of Odin does not let talk decide the fates.

be fore anyone can act Hildr shoves her thumb and index finger into her eye socket. She screams as the pain fires through her entire body .

Hildr con check [3d6] = 9
Fighting through the pain she continues to push her fingers deeper as blood and eye fluid runs down her hands. She begins to feel unsure if she can complete the task.

Gustaf looks on unphased as the rest of the group cringes some turning their heads at the grisly site. Then for just a half second you could swear there was a flash of a golden outline around the young woman.

Hildr feels a rush of energy and with one last yank frees her orb from its socket, wrenching it free.

She drops it on the table with a sickening splat. Looking at her companions they see a bloody black cavern where once her eye sat, her face pale from the pain she wavers slightly in her chair.

Nodding approvingly Gustaf reaches up and removes the blue gemstone from his eye socket and places it on the table in front of Hildr.

I pass the eye of Odin unto you

Hildr takes 20 damage
Last edited by wolfpack on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by spanningtree »

Ruthgar:

Watches as Hildr gouges her eye out: Odin's sacrifice, as is Gustaf's, was for wisdom to be gained. Tyr's sacrifice was for his clan and countrymen, something I may be given opportunity to perform. Hildr's action walks the proper path. Watches to see what comes next.

OCC: IMHO I think it would have been better if Phil would have done the gouging and start down the path of religion through a deep sacrifice, dramatic. But, what are you going to do.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Storm11 »

Storm wipes his chin and takes a swig of water from his skin.

Let’s hope this eye gem of all seeing actually knows where the hells we are supposed to go to try and stop this demon apocalypse, and how such junior adventurers are supposed to do so. Maybe it will give the priestess of Odin the power to do so. We can but hope.

He moves over to the one eyed priestess, pointedly ignoring the grisly orb that he feels is following him as he walks around the room.

Maybe you can make it in a nice pendant or something... The elf says going green.

He puts his small delicate elfen hand on her back. Are you ok? How are you feeling? Is anybody there...?
Greys Campaign.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Stirling »

Saxony

Looks at the pickled jars he has been snacking on. Was there a fish eye among the gherkins? He feels a bit sick.

"So goes the way of wisdom. Now what knowledge abd foresight have you gained?" he raises his glass of mead.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

Xanthe

Xanthe gasps, "Oh my."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Rex »

Hildr

Hildr reaches down and takes the blue gemstone, sliding it into her vacant eye socket.

"I have felt better, but have been worse as well. I will certainly survive."
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by redwarrior »

Phil speaks up Well done, Friend Hildr. You set the standard of belief.

That's what Phil gets for having his Player have a day job. :roll:
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by spanningtree »

Ruthgar:

Gets up and moves behind Hildr in case she needs be stabilized, ready to lay hands if needed.

OCC: Just realized she lost about 3/4 of her hp in that act. Eating popcorn at this point.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by wolfpack »

As Hildr reaches the gem to her eye socket it shrinks and slides in a perfect fit. As soon as it sets her sentence is cut off mid way through.

Her body sits bolt upright as every muscle clenches, the cutting and bruising around her eye socket heal immediately

Full health

Her one remaining eye opens as wide as it can staring off into nothing, unblinking

Long detailed PM incoming shortly as well as post about the eye

Hildr loses 1 point of dex permanently and will always receive a -1 to hit due to the eye loss
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sarin normally first to attend to his sibling doesn't move not fully agreeing with her choice, plus seeing Ruthgar step too before he can he just sighs and remains leaning trying not to look at the eye, he catches himself rubbing at one of his own eyes as if he can feel the pain himself, she shudders for a moment.

Balasar notes Sarin shudder and rubbing an eye inadvertently "Interesting. It appears your brother is having sympathy pains Hildr."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Storm11 »

Storm shows the sage the wand they recovered.

I believe this can create some type of fire magic, enable someone to climb and make a servant with these command words, can you tell us any more about it good sir?
Greys Campaign.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by wolfpack »

After several minutes Hildr finally blinks and seems to come to.

And now, you know the truth Gustaf says
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Hildr

"I am not sure I was prepared for the truth. Act we must. We are closer then we thought, the ruins of the great statue at the bay is where we need to go."

Turning to Sarin, "Are you OK, sorry to startle you like that."

She turns to Storm, "May I see the Wand?"

Once she has it in her hand see invokes Identify.

Sheet updated, thankfully the Dex lose was meaningless.

Return to “Antiquities Timeline (1e)”