[Completed] - Bertram/Eastward - 21 March, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Bertram/Eastward - 21 March, 1 VC

#361 Post by Keehnelf »

March 28, 1 VC - 4:20pm

Wow, the only one out of the whole group to make its saving throw was the goblin on foot, which hot-foots it away to the north as soon as the spell takes hold.

There are three sleeping goblins lying atop three sleeping wolves now, about 200 feet away. What will you do?
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#362 Post by KingOfCowards »

Could Bertram use a natural 20 for some extra range? I don't really love the thought of this guy going back to get his buddies. Normally llongbows are good up to 210'.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Keehnelf »

No, my assumption is that the shot was being held for goblins entering range that didn't get slept, as seemed to be the original intent. I don't re-purpose rolls.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#364 Post by KingOfCowards »

No problem. Worth a try.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#365 Post by Spartakos »

As soon as the goblins drop, Rhodri heads toward them, drawing his sword as he does so. When he gets there, he will calmly start cutting throats, wolves first.

If Bertram were to give chase to the goblin on foot, is there a chance he could close enough distance to be in bowshot Ditto another sleep spell?
GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#366 Post by GTan_Baq »

Abi walks out to the goblins and wolves and collects all the ears from both goblin and wolf.
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#367 Post by KingOfCowards »

Spartakos wrote:As soon as the goblins drop, Rhodri heads toward them, drawing his sword as he does so. When he gets there, he will calmly start cutting throats, wolves first.

If Bertram were to give chase to the goblin on foot, is there a chance he could close enough distance to be in bowshot Ditto another sleep spell?
I'd be willing to follow, but I am afraid the goblin is quicker on foot. When the goblin breaks and runs, Bertram will run after him with bow still in hand. If the goblin is well out of range by the time he reaches the other bodies, he gives up on chasing it.

We should skin the wolves, and get some meat to cook at camp tonight.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#368 Post by Mister-Kent »

Whilst his allies set about the nasty business of sleep-murder, Numen makes sure they save a goblin for him to perfom a coup-de-grace upon. As he does, he whispers something in chaotic.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Keehnelf »

The goblin is definitely faster and is far enough out that it would be impossible to catch him quickly--it would be a matter of chasing him until his endurance fails and he slows.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#370 Post by Spartakos »

Rhodri quirks an eyebrow at Abi. "I wouldn't have thought you the sort to take trophies. Not that I object, mind." After the sleeping foes are all dead, Rhodri searches the goblin corpses for anything of value.

Afterward, he assists in skinning and butchering the wolves. "Hardly my favorite meal, but it beats goblin by a long measure. And both beat hunger." He then recommends they put some distance between themselves and the scene before they make camp.

Again, lets bear to the southwest...I want to make sure we're out of eyesight of that stone circle when we get that far west. And lets be sure to keep a good watch tonight.
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Aye. We should make our way more to the South as Rhodri recommends. I don't relish the thought of the goblins knowing where we are. But there is nothing to be done about that now."

I was suggesting taking wolf pelts with us, but I am not sure its worth the time right now. Let's take two carcasses with us for meat. If we have time for skinning them while we camp all the better.
Bertram will carry one dead wolf for tonight's meal.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Keehnelf »

March 29, 1 VC - 8:00am

The goblins have 41 gold pieces in various coins on them, as well as three short swords of fine manufacture and slightly silvery sheen, that do not really match the rest of this goblin kit.

The party carries off two of the carcasses and those provide food enough for everyone that day and night as they head a bit more toward the southwest until dark.

The night is uneventful, except of course that Largo units slightly and cries out once or twice. He is back to -5 hit points.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#373 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen looks over his shoulder as the group continues south. He's now paranoid that the stray gob will return with friends.

I'm a bad person for this

Can Numen harvest goblin meats?
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Keehnelf »

Mister-Kent wrote:Numen looks over his shoulder as the group continues south. He's now paranoid that the stray gob will return with friends.

I'm a bad person for this

Can Numen harvest goblin meats?
Sure thing. That's a lot of bodies for the party to carry in addition to Largo, if you weren't planning to butcher there. One goblin max, and a lot off odd looks from your party mates.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#375 Post by Spartakos »

Keehnelf wrote:One goblin max, and a lot off odd looks from your party mates.
I'll say! Rhodri's with you on stuff like dwarf-murderin', but why eat goblin when we have this perfectly good wolf? :)

I think we're on the home stretch now. Westward ho, unless we run into something that makes us have to stop.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#376 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen looks around before leaving the massacre site. He ever-so-subtly throws the meanest-looking gob's body into his large sack.

One gob corpse added to inventory. I think if I can make it to Vaul with the body intact, and we don't have to resort to eating it, we might be able to give it to the Arch-Duke as a trophy of some sort? Could be interesting :)
Playing
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Keehnelf »

If it spends a couple of days in your sack, "intact" is going to be an iffy term.
GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#378 Post by GTan_Baq »

Mister-Kent wrote:Numen looks around before leaving the massacre site. He ever-so-subtly throws the meanest-looking gob's body into his large sack.

One gob corpse added to inventory. I think if I can make it to Vaul with the body intact, and we don't have to resort to eating it, we might be able to give it to the Arch-Duke as a trophy of some sort? Could be interesting :)
Abi took the goblin ears so we would have something to show the duke. Easier to carry than a whole goblin. :D
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Keehnelf »

March 30, 1 VC - 3:20am

The party continues to trend toward the southwest for much of the next day, leveling off toward the west as the mountains approach. There is no sign of pursuit from the goblins, and mercifully the shape of the standing stones never materializes out of the distant fog to the north during their trek.

They expect that they're somewhat less than a full day's travel from Vaul when they set camp that night.

Everyone deduct one day's rations--the wolf got eaten up the night before. Numen and up to one other can eat the goblin if they like. Largo is down to -6 hp.

The night is far along when Quirin is on watch and catches the sound of hoarse conversation drifting across the moor. He looks over a nearby rise and is surprised to see three wolves with goblin riders only a hundred feet or so from the camp. The rearmost wolf has two goblins riding together--the rearmost hops off and begins preparing a bow while the others wheel toward the camp.
psionboy
Scout
Scout

#380 Post by psionboy »

2 HP deducted

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”