OOC Chat

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Chat

#361 Post by Mister-Kent »

I thought someone might trip at the last second and kill Largo, but that didn't happen, praise Mangore!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#362 Post by KingOfCowards »

Keehnelf wrote:I agree wholeheartedly. It was a ballsy move going into the chasm (twice!), especially after you already knew there were enemies afoot. That was like 5k worth of experience just from the effort.
You have to keep your players hungry. I was going down there just for the chainmail, and the hope that he might have a gem or two in his belt pouch.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm trying to keep unusual/powerful items just rare enough to be enticements, recognizing that chances are even if the character that carries them dies, the item will stay in circulation somehow.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by AleBelly »

Mister-Kent wrote:but that didn't happen, praise Mangore!
heh heh
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#365 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't know......it seemed kinda like a cake walk to me. Especially since they all pretty much begged to keep the adventures really deadly.

I guess we all wont get to fight extremely overly powerful lizard men and their dinosaur mounts, then lose 3 points of INT after obtaining permanent brain damage. :lol:
KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#366 Post by KingOfCowards »

Nope. You still have a monopoly on brain damage. Congrats.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Keehnelf »

Well, they had two unconscious folks at the end of the road and one of them very well could have been dead but for some amazing rolls.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#368 Post by Spartakos »

OGRE MAGE wrote:I don't know......it seemed kinda like a cake walk to me. Especially since they all pretty much begged to keep the adventures really deadly.

I guess we all wont get to fight extremely overly powerful lizard men and their dinosaur mounts, then lose 3 points of INT after obtaining permanent brain damage. :lol:
I guess we also don't all get to discover unguarded towers full of loot, or get credit/XP when the crazy shapeshifting wolf kills a bunch of lizardmen, eh? ;)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#369 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry if that sounded offensive!

I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. It just seems like the Sleep thing is being SERIOUSLY overused now. I guess if one group gets to do it, they all do though.

I wonder if the stupid goblins will ever learn to......ummm.........spread out? :lol:

(oh oh, now I suppose that will happen to us)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zhym »

Jealous because the sudden Sleep victory is no longer exclusively The Wendall's thing? ;)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#371 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No, proud to be a trend setter. :P

Wendall didn't invent the spell, but it is his favorite.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#372 Post by Spartakos »

Ehh...IMO, sleep has been an overpowered low-level spell since the game was invented. LL is actually better than most versions of D&D, in that it grants a save.

That said...with an area effect spell that's basically a death sentence to anyone caught and affected by it? You'd have to be REALLY brain damaged not to use it as much as possible. :mrgreen:

Sleep does make combat with goblins/wolves/stirges a lot easier, but combat at 1st level is always a crapshoot. Get lucky? Your enemies drop. Get unlucky? Stirges drain your blood and you die in 1 round. That's the adventurer's life! :)

EDIT: As regards taking offense...yeah, I'll admit I bristled a bit. Seemed like you were suggesting we had an easy time of it compared to you guys, which I don't agree with. Especially with 2 guys almost croaking (heck, Rhodri almost got killed by a hailstorm for gossakes). How tough things are is mostly a matter of luck. :)
Last edited by Spartakos on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by Zhym »

Sleep is amazingly powerful until it suddenly becomes useless. But who expects to live that long?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm not sure whether this is a fight about who's having the most impossibly difficult time, or who's having the most stuff handed to them on a platter. I guess that it appears to be both at once it's a fair sign that things are reasonably balanced...
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#375 Post by Spartakos »

Keehnelf wrote:I'm not sure whether this is a fight about who's having the most impossibly difficult time, or who's having the most stuff handed to them on a platter. I guess that it appears to be both at once it's a fair sign that things are reasonably balanced...
I've got zero complaints about the difficulty level...but I'm definitely aware of it! :)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#376 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That said...with an area effect spell that's basically a death sentence to anyone caught and affected by it? You'd have to be REALLY brain damaged not to use it as much as possible. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not mad or trying to be mean about what's happened so far, I just want my guy to get everything and the rest of you to all die. That's all. :lol:
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Keehnelf »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not mad or trying to be mean about what's happened so far, I just want my guy to get everything and the rest of you to all die. That's all. :lol:
Don't worry, it shows ;)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Keehnelf »

Quick poll:

Private forums? Yes or no?

I'm not 100% sure how I'd do them, whether individual for in town and then by group when out and about (seems most likely), but wanted to float the idea. Basically, do you prefer getting the chance to see what's up elsewhere, or would the extra mystery add to the game? Or is there already so much content you can't keep up? ;)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Keehnelf »

P.s. Regarding sleep.

Now you see why I gave it a save, and why it is generally considered the must-have super-powered game-changing level one spell.

And you'll eventually see how it trains level one magic users to have an over-inflated sense of importance the minute you start encountering monsters and monster groups too big and touch for sleep to make a dent in, or too big to be affected.

Suddenly memorization isn't such a no-brained anymore.

But in the short term, sleep is a big aid to gaining mastery over low-level content, which is as it should be...you should be moving on to bigger and better and tougher things before long.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#380 Post by Mister-Kent »

Re: private forums--The latter--I pay attention to everything, but there's still a great deal I've missed! :)
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”