#361 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't remember if I roll this or you do: Images [1d4]=3
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: beyond the unholy Baptistry

#362 Post by Spearmint »

I don't remember if I roll this or you do:
I prefer players rolling where possible.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth grabs his pouch and hands it to the dwarf, "There are 3 vials of holy water in there, use them!"

Then he attacks the wight.

Long Sword +1 [1d20+2]=3+2=5 to hit [1d8+4]=3+4=7 s/m damage [1d12+4]=10+4=14 l damage [1d100]=4 stun

Shield Bash [1d20+2]=10+2=12 to hit
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Spearmint »

Inside the Nergal Barrow.

The evils sought by Knievel come home to roost. Undead Wights of an abominable antechamber, awoken by your intrusive breach from the lower crypts, barring your way to the bronze portal that stood closed to every petition or key. You hope that from inside out, you can bypass these many wards and wardens.

Orgoth and Yardie shield the group as frantic hands grasp the vials of holy water. Two are hurled, cracking open and dousing the Wight in the pool, -7hp.
"I am down to 1 first aid kit left and 2 vials of Holy Water if we need to redistribute them. Since I have other means of attack someone else should take the holy water I think."

Orgoth's stunning blow gies wide, Yardie stabs out but misses. The Wight grabs his arm, raking him for -2hp and worse, shocking the mercenary with a life draining touch that chills him to the bone and stills his bearing heart.

While Smokie turns invisible, Sven manifests a trio of glassy clones to provide some fodder choices while defences are made.

Yardie: [1d20+1]=12+1=13 [1d8+1]=4+1=5 Berric H2O [1d20]=17 Crippens H2O [1d20]=1Holy H2O [2d4+2]=5+2=7Barrow Wight: [1d20]=20 [1d4]=2 alphabetical random target [1d12]=12

For the next round the last Holy Water, two unused given by Sven earlier will be used.

Gargyx, Grumashk & BarkingToadLegs pull Yardie away from the oily pool flames, Crippens takes the blessed spear to stand in the gap. If he retains his spell, Sven could cast another set of images to confuse the Wights who advance towards the group.

Actions please.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

My inventory show 3 holy water vials, might have miss counted last time. Your call.

Long Sword +1 [1d20+2]=1+2=3 to hit [1d8+4]=2+4=6 s/m damage [1d12+4]=11+4=15 l damage [1d100]=12 stun
Natural 1.

Shield Bash [1d20+2]=11+2=13 to hit

This looks very bad.

"Everyone fall back, I will try to hold them here to give you time."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#366 Post by OGRE MAGE »

2nd Level Spell Retention (INT 15) [4d6+2]=18+2=20 :roll:

As another spell fades from his memory, Sven wishes he would have rested to replace some of his magic before coming in here. He tries to keep one of his images in front of the dangerous wights to distract them from killing anyone else.

He motions for the others behind them to heed the warning of Orgoth and head back down the stairs while they still can. Trying another spell, he attempts to lift one of the oncoming monsters up off the ground. Casting Levitate on the next upcoming threat

2nd Level Spell Retention (INT 15) [4d6+2]=14+2=16 ya, we're screwed here :?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Back Sven out. Have someone grab Yardie if need be. Then Orgoth will try a fighting retreat, hopefully they don't follow.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Spearmint »

Grumashk lifts the body of Yardie over his shoulder, the mercenary not bothered at this stage whether his corpse might turn leprous or not.

The last vials of holy water launched, -2hp dousing the Wight further then it gets lifted iff its feet and pinned to the ceiling.

Crippens: [1d20+1]=5+1=6 [1d8+1]=3+1=4 Berric H2O [1d20]=2 Penelope H2O [1d20]=18Holy H2O [2d4]=2Barrow Wight: [1d20]=12 [1d4]=4 [1d20]=17[1d4]=1 [1d20]=3[1d4]=2

Two of Sven's clones go down as the Wight rush the pool, undeterred by any oily flames.

The two humans cower, shielded by Orgoth, faint of hope in any deliverance, preferring the comforts of the Pyre zombie cell to becoming a Nergalyte Wight.

A retreat back down the steps a most likely recourse.

Actions please perhaps in this place, while Nergal is deaf, Cromm will listen and answer?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

I may as well try since I can't hit anything anyway.

Orgoth calls on the might of Cromm, presenting his blessed/magic holy symbol.

"Be gone foul creatures, behold the might of Cromm!"

Turn Undead [1d20]=9
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#370 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Though he was waiting for the perfect life-or-death moment to try out his magical tube of mud, Sven realizes that this situation probably is that moment.

If nothing happens after Orgoth calls for divine intervention from his Cromm, the young mage makes sure everyone is safely back down the stairs before he unseals his tube of mud, pouring it out on the steps as they attempt to escape this dangerous encounter.

"IS YARDIE STILL BREATHING???"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Spearmint »

Inside the Nergal Barrow

Barrow Wight: [1d20]=3 [1d4]=3 [1d20]=17[1d4]=2 [1d20]=6[1d4]=2

While one Wight is pinned to the ceiling, others wade the foot-washing pool, grasping out and shattering the last fleeting Mirror Image as Sven urges a retreat.

Orgoth remains steadfast, trying to rebuke the Undead in the Name of Cromm Cruach but in this vile sanctuary, his Name is not exalted enough to rebuke their frenzy.

Crippens: [1d20+1]=5+1=6 [1d8+1]=6+1=7 Berric H2O [1d20]=13 Penelope H2O [1d20]=1

The last holy waters spent, folk retreat with the shield-bearer parrying the relentless Wights. Behind him, Sven unseals the large metallic flask of creamy loam. Not healing Hurtloam but some enchanted mud that lays the foundation for a guardian Earth Elemental.

at least according to Willo & Yewwy the rotting wooden halfling caricature golems.

Reggino's EE flask guardian: [1d6]=3

The loam poured out, much more than can be expected to fill the container, covers an approximate 20x20'ft area to ankle depth of sticky mud. As it is poured out and settles, the surface quivers and suddenly emerging from the mud are two very strange, cylindrical flying fish creatures. They have wide open mouths and immediately start to circle the perimeter of the laid down mud, traversing up and down almost like a goldfish in an invisible bowl.

They dash and flit around in the narrow confines of the passage, effectively their 'glass bowl' would cover the width of the passage and a 40'ft length.

If you toss a coin or loose an arrow or crossbow bolt through the area they protect, they react by immediate catching the hurled metal and feasting on it. The following Wights who enter the area are similarly assaulted, these strange critters pouncing like piranhas to tear and gorge upon the foremost, swallowing any buckles, belts, metal that they can digest from the meaty portions savaged by their huge mouths.

The last dregs of mud from the container settle into a tapered flat doughy smudge. You can take hold of this and 'roll up' the mud to go back into the container. For now though, these elemental creatures have the staircase, being a buffer between the Wights above and those below.

Grumashk puts down Yardie. The mercenary is grievously wounded in his soul and touched by the Wights, has lost all life energy in his mortal body. At first assessment, he is dead.

Actions please
Attachments
Khargra.jpg
Khargra.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

I think Orgoth is still engaged, if I have this wrong and he is on the other side of the mud I will change my action.

Orgoth continues to fight the wights, trying to keep his back to the mud zone for some protection.

Long Sword +1 [1d20+2]=5+2=7 to hit [1d8+4]=1+4=5 s/m damage [1d12+4]=11+4=15 l damage [1d100]=47 stun

Shield Bash [1d20+2]=9+2=11 to hit

"Someone grab the silver spear!"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by Spearmint »

Orgoth, Sven & co are back in the lower crypt room and the mud pool goes up the staircase and the Wights are in the Barrow Mound at the top of the stairs. Crippens picked up the spear and the humans grabbed Yardie's dropped gear.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Great.

Orgoth will hold at the bottom edge of the mud area to make sure no wights get through for now. If they come close he will try to keep them in with his shield.

"The silver spear is blessed to Cromm and magical. Someone needs to take it up for now as it is one of the few weapons we have that can hurt these undead."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#375 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven quickly looks over the group, making sure we only lost the one impatient human captive so far.

He stares at the weird situation in the hallway for a moment. "What the......."

More immediately concerned about the situation with his hired man, he rushes to the side of the fading Yardie and retrieves a potion from his pack.

"This man jumped into the coffin and followed behind us when my own retainer was too frightened to do the same. In fact, he was the ONLY one to follow us! You should all witness how I take care of those willing to sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the party!"

He removes Yardies mask and pours his last incredibly valuable potion down the man's throat carefully, so as not to drown the unmoving hireling. "Come on back to us Yardman! This is NOT gonna be the end for you, mi bredda."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Spearmint »

Ritual Pool side-room

The breached wall to the stairs to the upper barrow mound is secured by the summoned 'earth elementals', bizarre stony fish looking creatures that feast upon metals and veins of rare earth ores. Pity the hand that gets chomped by their huge mouths after they take a fancy to the ring upon a finger or the sword held.

The Wights, maybe once keen on descending and accessing the lower crypts are kept at bay by these strange wardens who in goldfish style, swim/fly in circles over the muddy loam poured out beneath them.

Loyalty pays, working both ways. In time of the dreadlocked warrior's greatest need, Yardie receives the energizing potion found in the lockbox of the Shadow Crypt. Pouring it down his throat, the elixir warms his heart and organs into beating and breathing causing him to splutter and roll over to puke out the necrotic plasma that had settled in his body to taint him with a Wightish state.

"Ah Mi bones feel as raw as ah curried rammy an mi choat hoarse fram drinking dregs ah treacled molasses."

Revived from his death state, the group can decide on next actions.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#377 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Any reactions from the named NPC's after that deed? I am hoping it raised a few eyebrows.....in a good way.

Sven is glad the potion worked as advertised. "Whagwan Yardie? You good now mi fren? That was a close one, man!"

He takes off all his metal so he can mess around with the mud patch a little to see if he can learn more about how it actually works. INT check (15) [4d6]=11

He tries to move the patch of mud, lifting it up from the floor and pushing it up the stairs a little bit, though stopping before it hits the water in the pool, obviously.

"If we cant move this thing, maybe we can figure out a plan to put it back into the tube and lure those wights out of that mound one at a time."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Spearmint »

Any reactions from the named NPC's after that deed? I am hoping it raised a few eyebrows.....in a good way.
yes, the general morale & loyalty improves for any reaction tests. The general feeling among the group is 'safety in numbers' and that you and Orgoth are their best hopes for survival. The group might have a general antipathy between others naturally Bugbear Grumashk vs Dwarf Berric, Gargyx vs Smokie, but for the sake of survival, that rivalry seems set aside.

The flask of mud can be poured out to cover a 20'ft sq area, and once set it summons a random earth related elemental which then guards that portion of land. You can't push or pull the mud once laid as you might with a carpet, but I am fine with it filling the passage for the 40'ft of step risers from lower crypt to near to the foot pool in the barrow mound.

For as long as it is laid, the Khargra flit around warding the stairs from any intrusion and the Wights stay above.

Health Status:
Sven: 16/16hp (20/20 with Smokie 12/12)
Orgoth: 21/33hp
Yardie: 7/9hp
Penelope: 4/8hp
Gargyx: 16/20hp

Crippens: 3/8
H1 : 1/4
H2 (f) : 1/4
Dw : Berric: 4/8

BarkingToadLegs: 4/4hp
Grumashk, Bugbear leper: 6/18hp
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"We need to have a very good plan before we remove that mud thing Sven. By the way absolutely great move using that, it save us no doubt."

To Yardie, "I am glad to see you made it with some help from Sven Yardie."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#380 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven adamantly agrees, on all counts.

“We are getting low on resources. Dangerously low.”

“I could be wrong, but I think those creatures are too powerful for us to deal with right now. And I don’t want to see whatever that was that happened to Yardie happen to anyone else.”

Sven has Smokie go invisible and check to see if the path back to the Pit of Chaos hallway is clear.

“I hate to say it but if people know we are in this area, I think it’s time to use Moo-Moo and look for a safer way out.”

If possible, Sven would go back up the steps to have another look around to see if the wights do anything specific before heading back down, picking up the mud once the group is ready to travel.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”