Ch. 6: The Great Hall and Beyond

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 6: The Great Hall and Beyond

#341 Post by Zhym »

Zoster, seeing no other option, begins changing shape, turning into a crocodile in an attempt to attack the efreeti. The change might even allow Zoster to survive an attack (+11 HP).

Xale screams in range and horror and lashes out at the efreeti with her enchanted hammer. Her blow lands hard against the creature of fire and molten metal, ringing like the sound of a weapon being forged.

That gets the efreeti's attention.

"WELL HIT," it booms, somewhat less bone-rattingly than before. "AS A REWARD, YOU GET TO BE THE NEXT TO DIE." The efreet flicks the dwarf in the face with a single two-foot-long finger—an attack that is simple, direct, and brutally fatal. Blood spouts from what used to be Xale's face as she simply falls over, dead.

Malibran smashes the efreeti's foot. It screams in pain. A look comes over its eyes that, for the first time, might actually be fear. Perhaps victory could yet be salvaged from the slaughter?
-----
Status: Elsa (F10): DEAD/58; Malibran (C10): 37/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 65/76; Xale (F8/C8): DEAD/54; Dredd (F7/T11): -4/57
Spells in effect: Protection from Lightning (Zoster): 141 hp left
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by AleBelly »

Zosterdile attacks, flicking with tail and biting. Crocodiles don't have particularly expressive faces, so the fear at seeing Xale's face ripped away is known only to the druid.

Attack as crocodile tail [1d20] = 17, damage [2d4] = 5, bite [1d20] = 20, damage [1d12] = 1
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran pauses imperceptibly.

In that moment, however, the images and memories of a full-life lived in the Light is reflected in his noble eyes. Memories of service to the Light, memories of lives changed by the efforts of his divine influence and his righteous comrades of the times, and memories of experiences and adventures few have the fortune to experience…

…And now memories obscured by the futility of a mission of inevitable failure. Unresolved. Incomplete service. Is this the bookend moment that defines the memorial of his life? Brave and respected comrades lives cast aside in finality…? Why?... To what end?....

A glimmer appears. An ember. A spark and then a revelation. A reflection that this final moment is spent with comrades joined in a mission not for glory or greed – but in service of one in need. A full life may not mean perfect. A full life viewed retrospectively with contentment, love, and minimal regret is nothing to remiss – regardless of how long the length. With the warmth of the Light filling his heart… Malibran raises his Mighty Mace for perhaps the final time……

Mace(+3) attack [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11
Mace Damage (+3 Weapon) = [1d6+3] = 4+3 = 7
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Zhym »

Zoster and Malibran fight for their lives. The efreeti, though having laid waste to the party, is nearing critical condition itself. Its eyes grow wide, like a lion who finds itself near death from the bites of lambs. It backs up half a step—which at its current size is about ten feet—toward the door into the treasure room. It raises one hand into the air, palm out.

"WAIT," it says in a voice that is imploring instead of commanding.

"YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME. DESIST YOUR ATTACK, AND I SHALL GRANT YOU THREE WISHES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS AND TRADITIONS OF THE CITY OF BRASS, LAID DOWN BEFORE THE MEMORY OF TIME AND TO WHICH ALL MUST ABIDE. LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND BE REWARDED."

You may do as he asks, or follow through with your attacks as rolled.

Actions?

-----
Status: Elsa (F10): DEAD/58; Malibran (C10): 37/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 65/76; Xale (F8/C8): DEAD/54; Dredd (F7/T11): -4/57
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran simply pauses and stares.... his mace held at bay...

"What trickery is this, demon..?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Zhym »

"THE LAWS OF THE CITY OF BRASS ARE CLEAR AND COMPULSORY. ONCE AN OFFER OF THREE WISHES HAS BEEN MADE AND THE CONDITIONS FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF THAT OFFER HAVE BEEN PERFORMED, A BINDING CONTRACT IS FORMED. LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND THE THREE WISHES ARE YOURS."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran lowers his weapon... his heart and mind prepared to die a moment ago, is put back by such a sudden turn of fate.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran considers his options. With no experience with this type of wishful magic, one use of this,however, becomes readily clear....

”I wish that all those you have killed today are now here, alive and fully healed”
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by AleBelly »

Zoster lurks in crocodile form. He will attack if the efreeti tries any bullshit moves.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Zhym »

"YOUR ACCEPTANCE MUST BE INDICATED BY PERFORMANCE OF THE TERMS SPECIFIED IN THE OFFER BEFORE THE CONTRACT CAN TAKE EFFECT. YOUR FIRST WISH WILL BE GRANTED ONCE YOU HAVE PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS. FOR THE PURPOSES OF ACCEPTANCE BY PERFORMANCE, A NON-NATIVE FORM CHOSEN FOR ATTACK IS COVERED UNDER THE DEFINITION OF 'WEAPON.'"
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mailbrans raises an eyebrow... And places his weapon on the ground in accordance with the forestated contract.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by AleBelly »

Zoster returns to his human form. He glares at the efreeti, hoping that he doesn't soil himself while facing up towards the demon. "Why couldn't you have done this in the first place?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Zhym »

The efreeti nods. "THE CONTRACT IS FORMED."

It shrinks down to its normal, merely towering height of 12 feet.

"BECAUSE I CHOSE NOT TO," it answers Zoster. "BECAUSE IMPUDENT APE-CHILDREN NEED TO BE TAUGHT NOT TO SHOOT CROSSBOWS AT THINGS UNLESS THEY ARE PREPARED TO ACCEPT CONSEQUENCES." It flicks its hand as if shooting away a fly. "THE CONTRACT DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS, UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO USE A WISH FOR THAT PURPOSE. WE WILL MOVE ON TO THE MATTER OF THE WISHES."

Elsa and Xale appear at the foot of the multicolored stairs in front of Malibran. Xale gets her face back. Elsa's broken body mends before you. They each stand, seemingly as healthy as they were when they entered the tomb.

"YOUR FIRST WISH IS GRANTED. WHAT IS YOUR SECOND WISH?"

-----
Status: Elsa (F10): 58/58; Malibran (C10): 37/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 65/76; Xale (F8/C8): 54/54; Dredd (F7/T11): -4/57
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

"Elsa, Xale! You live!" Zoster bows to the efreeti. "I'll forgive the ape comment."

He looks around, then at the clothes and armor he's wearing, frowning. "I trust you will forgive me, friends, but I will be of no use to you unless I have my items. May I use one of our wishes to recover my belongings?"
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa stood before Qord.

"You fought with honor and lived the faith. But your most difficult challenge awaits."

Then Elsa stood before the efreet and her adventuring companions. Upon hearing the word wish, she quickly umderstands what is now happening.

"Wish that the curse of Acererak upon Overking Ivid IV and his royal family is lifted evermore" exclaims Elsa.

Quietly to the others: "We will fulfill our mission and be able to leave before doom falls again upon us."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran smile at the wonder and miracle of the his two comrades standing before him. "Elsa - will you kindly see to our fallen companion Dredd? He bleeds in the room beyond and could use our help..."

"Elsa, I also agree with your thinking that we must first think to use our wish to end this curse. Zoster, I understand your need but let is embrace this opportunity to first try and quell the curse that befalls the land - and the peril that we face moment to moment. I pray that you value your life over your equipment? I will loan you anything I can freely..."

Malibran turns to the efreet, "Noble creature, we wish that the curse of Acererak upon Overking Ivid IV and his royal family is lifted evermore"
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by AleBelly »

Zoster looks at Malibran levelly. "It is a curse against fat rich nobles, not the land. And I do not seek the restoration of my possessions purely out of selfishness, though self-interest does motivate me. Without my mistletoe, I cannot cast my spell of powerful healing that will aid our fallen Dredd. And I will remind you that I lost my possessions trying to further the party. I was the only one willing to risk the door."

"This will not be my last adventure. I will need my things in the future. So waste wishes on those who become wealthy off the backs of others if you wish." He crosses his arms defiantly. He appears to be pouting.

"Lifting the curse seems foolhardy to me anyway. It is clear that this tomb has been here for many many decades. This curse is recent. Even if our new friend here is powerful enough to dispel the curse, do you not think Acererak will level another one at the family?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Zhym »

A sly smile comes over the efreeti's face as the party begins arguing over the wishes. Then the smile fades and it shakes its head.

"IT IS NOT WITHIN MY POWER TO REMOVE THE CURSE. THE SKULL OF ACERERAK IS REQUIRED. DID YOU NOT SUPPOSE THAT THOSE OF THE ROYAL COURT HAD ALREADY TRIED TO USE WISH MAGIC TO REMOVE THE CURSE?"
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran lets out a breath being held in expectation, "Fair point. I will rephrase the request - we wish for the specific means or tokens, specific directions to, and specific directions on how to access Acereack's tomb so that we can end this curse - and by doing so allow us to free you from this prison as well"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Zhym »

The efreeti grins. Then begins reciting as if reading from a script.

"TO REACH THE TOMB OF ACERERAK, TRAVEL FOR SEVERAL DAYS BY HORSE TO CROSS THE LANDS OF SUNNDI TO THE VAST SWAMP. A FEW MILES INTO THE VAST SWAMP, A HALF DAY BARGE RIDE FROM ITS EDGE, YOU WILL ARRIVE AT A LOW, FLAT TOPPED HILL, ABOUT 200 YARDS WIDE AND 300 YARDS LONG. ONLY UGLY WEEDS, THORNS, AND BRIARS GROW UPON THE STEEP SIDES AND BALD TOP OF THE 60' HIGH MOUND. THERE ARE BLACK ROCKS UPON THE TOP OF THE HILL, AND IF THESE ARE VIEWED FROM A HEIGHT OF ABOUT 200’ OR SO ABOVE THE MOUND, IT WILL BE SEEN THAT THE WHOLE IS SHAPED LIKE A HUMAN SKULL, WITH THE PILES OF ROCK APPEARING AS EYE HOLES, NOSE HOLE, AND THE JAGGED TEETH OF A GRINNING DEATH’S HEAD.

"ON THE EAST SIDE TOWARD THE BASE OF THE MOUND IS A SANDY AREA FULL OF LOOSE STONE AND GRAVEL. MID WAY UP THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HILL YOU WILL FIND A CRUMBLING CLIFF OF SAND AND GRAVEL ABOUT 20’ HIGH. A LOW STONE LEDGE OVERHANGS THIS ERODED AREA, AND SHRUBS AND BUSHES OBSCURE IT FROM OBSERVATION AT A DISTANCE. TWO ENTRANCES CAN BE FOUND BY DIGGING IN THIS AREA; EACH IS A FALSE ENTRANCE. THE TRUE ENTRANCE LIES MIDWAY BETWEEN THEM. YOU WILL RECOGNIZE IT AS A 20' WIDE, 130'-LONG PASSAGE WITH BRIGHTLY COLORED FRESCOES ON THE WALL AND MOSAICS ON THE FLOOR.

"NO SPECIFIC MEANS OR TOKENS ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THE TOMB OTHER THAN THOSE NECESSARY TO DAILY LIFE AND THOSE REQUIRED TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE VAST SWAMP AND DIG THROUGH TO THE TRUE ENTRANCE."

He then speaks in a much softer voice, running his words together quickly.
"DIRECTIONS ARE ESTIMATED FOR BREVITY. TRAVEL TIMES WILL DEPEND, INTER ALIA, ON MODE OF TRANSPORT, LOAD, AND WEATHER CONDITIONS. TO RECEIVE MORE SPECIFIC INFORMATION, YOU MAY NAME A STARTING LOCATION AND DETAILED DIRECTIONS WILL BE PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF FULFILLMENT OF THE TERMS OF YOUR WISH."

It raises its voice again and folds its arms over its chest.

"YOU HAVE ONE WISH REMAINING. CHOOSE IT CAREFULLY. I MUST ALSO INFORM YOU THAT USE OF CONJUNCTIONS IS RESTRICTED. IF, IN MY JUDGMENT, CONJUNCTIONS WOULD HAVE THE EFFECT OF ATTEMPTING TO COMBINE MULTIPLE WISHES INTO ONE STATEMENT, I AM PERMITTED TO CHOOSE WHICH OF THOSE WISHES TO GRANT."

Return to “Party 1”