Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter I: Damring Fortress, Part 2

#321 Post by Simon »

Health 4 is going to be so excellent.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Keehnelf »

It would be funny if the first ability or skill anyone increased turned out to be Harlan's oft-tested constitution :)
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Starbeard »

Later into the evening, unable to sleep under such dismal conditions, and sniffling himself awake from cold and sickness whenever he does manage to doze off, decides to wile away the rest of the evening next to the dimmed fire, reading through passages of the book. Midway through the parable of the itinerant goatherd he puts the book down and snatches up his scribal equipment with inspired haste. 'Ahah! That's it! Someone, help me find a thin little stick.' Raizenbrayne begins crawling about the little makeshift campsite, looking for a suitably pencil-thick piece of wood. 'In the parable of the itinerant goatherd, the city scribe was without a quill, so the humble herdsman carved him a nib out of a stick he had been whittling, and the scribe was able to complete the charter he was making for the king. Why didn't I think of that?!'

Finding a suitable little stick, he sits down with his knife and begins carefully whittling away. A few test strokes at the corner of the parchment and he sits down, ready to attempt a draft map of the keep.

So, that's a (taxed) Nature test to draw a map, by invoking the book's ability. What's my Ob if I want to map out Damring Fortress? Just the upper floors of the Keep?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Keehnelf »

Ob2, +1 for Exhausted, so total of 3
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Starbeard »

Hm, why did I think it was possible for me to do use Nature on this? I only have 3D, -1D for being sick… Maybe Agrom should take his final check while I figure out what else I can do if Making a map won't work.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Keehnelf »

Using the book would give you an extra 3D on the roll, if I'm not mistaken...
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh right, never mind. Base cartographer 2D -1D for sick, plus 2D for the tapped nature still makes it rough. Tapping nature for a failed test you could get anyway is a waste.

Myself, I would recommend making the test without the book regardless so you can start on the path to improving the base skill. Maybe pick up some consumable cartography supplies next time you're in town to get you over the two successful tests you'll need to hit skill 3.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Starbeard »

No, you're right. I just haven't been at my computer long enough over the past number of days to actually sit down and read the Nature rules thoroughly; I had missed exactly what the difference between 'acting against/taxing' Nature and 'tapping' Nature were. The book allows me to tap Nature, so Cartography 2 (-1 for sick) + 3 (for current Nature) = 4D, against Ob 2 (+1 for exhausted) = Ob 3.

I think I'll skip on rolling for Alchemist at the moment, since I'm more concerned about success than building up skill improvement, and making a test with my Alchemist skill to get a +1D on Cartographer makes the whole thing less likely to succeed than just tapping Nature.

So, to reiterate, I'm making a tapped Cartographer roll of 4D against Ob 3.

[1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 2

Damned luck.

Raizenbrayne excitedly begins etching in a few basic figures and marking out ratios on the parchment in dry point with the back of his makeshift pen, and then goes to work delicately dipping the nib into the ink and drawing out the map itself. He gets the entry room just about thoroughly mapped out, and moves on to draw its neighbouring rooms when the stick snaps in two. 'Damned all, confound it!' He retrieves his knife and tries to whittle out another nib from the stick, but the brittle quality of the aged wood, coupled with the moist air, just causes it to crumble in his hand. Frustrated beyond any further attempts, the wizard gives up in a huff and slams his equipment back into his satchel, and grumpily tries to get back to sleep.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Keehnelf »

Raizenbrayne elects the failure result of no map at all--fewer problems down the line as a result anyway!

Ok, Harlan has one check left that either he or Agrom can use, but nobody can make recovery tests. Will someone use it or will it be lost?
Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#330 Post by Simon »

Well I can can either try to scavenge up some torch supplies or cook some preserved rations from the fresh stuff.

Ag have anything he wants to do?
-Tehching Hsieh

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Starbeard »

Keehnelf wrote:Raizenbrayne elects the failure result of no map at all--fewer problems down the line as a result anyway!

Ok, Harlan has one check left that either he or Agrom can use, but nobody can make recovery tests. Will someone use it or will it be lost?
Yes, I did think of that, and figured that no map would be better one that got us lost. :D But I suppose I should've let you decide that rather than write it up myself, I got too carried away with putting a narrative to my rolls, sorry!
Simon wrote:Well I can can either try to scavenge up some torch supplies or cook some preserved rations from the fresh stuff.

Ag have anything he wants to do?
If it makes any difference, according to our character sheets we have enough rations for at least another group meal, but no light beyond Harlan's candle—I can't find any reference in the rulebook about how fresh rations get spoiled, is there a mechanic for that or is it up to the GM?
Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#332 Post by Simon »

Fresh rations can be spoiled as part of a twist and are automatically spoiled when we enter the Town phase. Also, we technically have the Unbroken Blade which can act as a light source for all of us, so long as it is held aloft or brandished. Unless Ag has strong feelings one way or the other, I'm somewhat inclined to try and make some jerky. That way we can ward off hunger for at least two rounds of the Grind.
-Tehching Hsieh

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Keehnelf »

Please bear in mind that the blade's light lasts only a single turn.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by sulldawga »

I think scavenging for torches makes the most sense here.
Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#335 Post by Simon »

I didn't realize that the sword only provided light for a turn. Now that I'm aware of the situation I think Sully's right and that we should scrounge for torches.

As the group begins to break camp in the morning Harlan will search the area for dry timber and detritus that he could turn into a bundle of torches. Ay Ag! You've got some lamp oil somewhere don't you? I think if I could get some of that to soak some timbers in, we'd be in pretty good shape.

If Ag's amenable and if Keehnelf thinks its allowable, I'd like to see if I can use some of the lamp oil in Ag's pouch as supplies to make whatever I find more flammable...
-Tehching Hsieh

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Keehnelf »

Absolutely from my end. Obstacle for that kind of scavenging in this location is 3 (sorry, would be lower in other spots).
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Starbeard »

That cursed Ob 3! Unless you're rolling 6D+ to smooth out the probability curve, that bump from Ob 2 to Ob 3 is gnarly.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will hand over one of his flasks of oil.

This probably won't work but I've got another flask so we can try again once we get to the forest outside.
Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#339 Post by Simon »

Alright, so Scavenger 2D + 1D supplies from Ag (thank you good sir) is 3D v. Ob3:

[1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 2

Predictable, but still discouraging...
-Tehching Hsieh

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by sulldawga »

Ok, that concludes the Camp Phase, right? Does anyone want to do anything else that doesn't require a check?

Agrom is going to take off his Leather Armor and put on the Plate Mail. He's also going to take the shield. If anyone can carry his leather until he retrieves his backpack, that would be awesome. If not, no worries, we can leave it there.

Would be great if someone could carry the warhammer. If not, Agrom will sheath his sword and carry the hammer in his hand.

I propose we go back the way Agrom came and up the stairs to see if his backpack is still there. Should be an easy trip except we need to negotiate the statue trap that the kobold somehow avoided.

Then we need to decide if we're going to explore the kobold's cave home before we leave the temple.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”