OOC - Welcome and Chat

atpollard
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC - Welcome and Chat

#201 Post by Zhym »

I certainly hope we're steampunky, or I'll need to redo my new character all over again. :)

Oh, and as my avatar suggests, I'm a big Phil (and Kaja) Foglio fan. He did the "What's New" strip in Dragon, not Finieous Fingers, though. He also did a great comic version of Myth Adventures.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#202 Post by atpollard »

We will accept as much SteamTech as you care to throw in, but the guideline will be that it should be something that physically COULD have been built using 19th Century Earth technology. So clipper ships to sail the ether to Mars are not a plausible technology, however a mechanical computer based on Babbage’s Analytic Engine and the automated looms is a plausible technology. A mechanical hand is plausible, but lasers are not. Submarines are plausible but Flying Ships are not.

As far as the “punk” (anti-establishment) culture and the “anti-hero” archetype, that is a personal decision on how you choose to play your characters. The “world” is neither an idealistic one where everyone is a Gentleman and there is no poverty or injustice, but neither is it a comic book dystopia ruled by corrupt mega-corporations. I am aiming for the 19th Century as it actually was, a time of enthusiasm and hope and innovation as well as a time of strong social class distinctions. How you interact with that world is up to you.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Urson »

www.Girlgeniusonline.com

Phil and Kaja Foglio have been running this online comic for many years. It's often hilarious and always fun. I strongly reccommend it!
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Zhym »

I'm binging it now. I rather love that a walking piece of luggage in this strip is labeled "The Amazing Pratchett":

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070112

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Urson »

Yeah, The Foglios throw nerd references thick and fast in this comic.
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Zhym »

They've always been great at crowd scenes and easter eggs.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#207 Post by AsenRG »

I'm pretty sure that Remy is currently conversing with you in his native language...:) So a conversation ain't happening.

Jacques just thought him the words "monsieur, madame, mademoiselle, oui, non, attention" during their last meeting, and he doesn't mind using the proper forms of address;).

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#208 Post by atpollard »

From the slow response, either I have missed something and you are waiting on me ... or the group as a whole is uncertain how to proceed. So some general OOC chatter ...

The Grogg and Tankard Problem is a "mystery" best solved by talking to people. There have been some hints dropped along the way but you may have missed them since you were not aware of the problem yet. I suggest talking to people that you know for a start or just dividing the town and talking to everyone. Here is a map for reference ...

CHANGE OF SUBJECT:

My games are not linear and they are not "railroads". I honestly do not care if you solve the mystery or not. It is available as ONE POSSIBLE adventure if you (as a group) want to solve a mystery.

Other POSSIBLE ADVENTURES for you to choose from just by following one adventure thread over another are ...

REPAIR THE STEAMSHIP ... you need to raise a new boiler from the sunken wreck to repair the steamship that you found.
THE GOLD COIN ... Doc Linkletter has an ancient coin with an ancient secret.
THE BLOOD STAINED DIARY ... Iggy has an old French Diary that nations and political leaders are willing to kill to obtain.
THE EMERALD NECKLACE ... Jacques holds the key to the kidnapping of a member of the Royal Family.

So THE MYSTERY OF THE GROGG AND TANKARD is only one of many possible adventures that you could pursue. It is simply playing out around you whether you choose to get involved or not. If solving a "who done it" isn't your cup of tea, then choose one of the others ... REPAIR THE STEAMSHIP will provide transportation to follow any of the other three.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Leitz »

Diana is more instigator than leader; she's going to work the Grog issue.

What's funny is that we have people with high and low status,

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Zhym »

I've been waiting for Mercutio to get a formal introduction to the rest of the group before interacting (how very Victorian). If that's wrong and I should just jump in, please let me know.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by atpollard »

Trust me, I have an introduction to the game in mind for you.
I just needed to know which way the group was going to get the details right.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Zhym »

I'm looking forward to it!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Zhym »

Wow, what an intro!

So now I'm having trouble deciding what to do, mostly because I'm not familiar with the game system, the environment, or the norms associated with either. For example, is this the kind of setting where it would be totally plausible for Mercutio to try to shoot his assailants? Maybe just try to draw on them and scare them away? Grab his cane and run? In AD&D, for example, I'd have some idea of what's feasible, but I'm kind of at a loss here. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Leitz »

Zhym wrote:Wow, what an intro!

So now I'm having trouble deciding what to do, mostly because I'm not familiar with the game system, the environment, or the norms associated with either. For example, is this the kind of setting where it would be totally plausible for Mercutio to try to shoot his assailants? Maybe just try to draw on them and scare them away? Grab his cane and run? In AD&D, for example, I'd have some idea of what's feasible, but I'm kind of at a loss here. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
It's sort of a wild west feel. If they attacked you without cause, and were going to rob you, shooting is a viable option. Especially if you've only got a derringer, that's a self-defence weapon.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#215 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote:Wow, what an intro!

Thanks.
THE GAME SYSTEM:
I chose a simple and familiar “HP” system that anyone familiar with any role playing game would be able to follow. The roll “to hit” is typically 8+ on 2D6+skill or about 50/50 odds for any attack. Weapons typically do either 2D6 or 3D6 damage on a successful hit. YOU have 21 HP with unconsciousness at 14 points of damage. Combat is generally dangerous for everyone, not too different than 1st level D&D characters.

THE SETTING:
You are in the frontier. Law exists in the urban areas, but tends to be more practical than codified. In a world with pirates and slavers and robbers, “self defense” is a real thing. On the other hand, someone that starts to pile up enough bodies will attract a reward that will draw bounty hunters. The Wild West is the best analogy for the present area. Gwynedd is the last civilized outpost before one enters the complete lawlessness of the Wild West.

AD&D is not a bad yardstick for estimating actions. Just remember that everyone has no armor, low HP and dangerous weapons. PC and NPC are “AC 10, HP 14, 2D6 weapons”.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Zhym »

Is Mercutio's cane close enough that he could grab it and run, or would he have to leave the cane where it is? And could he both shoot and run away, or can only one of the two?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote:Is Mercutio's cane close enough that he could grab it and run, or would he have to leave the cane where it is? And could he both shoot and run away, or can only one of the two?
A combat round is 6 seconds long, so he could grab the cane in about 1 second and/or draw-point-fire in about 4 seconds leaving him any remaining seconds to run. The less he does before he runs, the further he will have run in those 6 seconds.

In general, anything that you think you can probably do ... you can do. Swimming with 1000 lb of gold in a chest cannot be done. Leaping across a 500 foot gap cannot be done. Anything reasonable can be done ... just count out 6 seconds and try it for reasonableness. Heck, even heroic things can be attempted ... like leaping over his head to land behind him and attack from the back. (How are your STR and DEX?) ... or disarm him with your mechanical arm like a sword (How is your DEX and Blade skill?)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Zhym »

Urson wrote:http://www.Girlgeniusonline.com

Phil and Kaja Foglio have been running this online comic for many years. It's often hilarious and always fun. I strongly reccommend it!
If you're curious how long it takes to binge read seventeen years of Girl Genius, the answer is about two and a half weeks, in my case.

Just FYI. ;)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Urson »

:lol: :lol:
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Zhym »

And now I can only get updates to the story three times a week like everyone else.

It's rather jarring.

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”