OOC Chat

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chat

#21 Post by Pulpatoon »

Scott308 wrote:Thanks! Last weekend I was at Gary Con, this weekend I'm at the North American Reptile Breeders' Conference
Someone's living their best life.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by drpete »

Scott308 wrote:Thanks! Last weekend I was at Gary Con, this weekend I'm at the North American Reptile Breeders' Conference, so I should be coming home with some new spiders and/ or scorpions. Yes, I know they aren't reptiles but people that keep arachnids often have reptiles as well, so there are a few tarantula vendors there.
* chuckles enigmatically *
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by ybn1197 »

Pulpatoon wrote:
Scott308 wrote:Thanks! Last weekend I was at Gary Con, this weekend I'm at the North American Reptile Breeders' Conference
Tell me about it! My wife tolerates my gaming hobby but if I spent two consecutive weekends away I better be coming home with more than just flowers. :lol:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

I assume you meant Brana when you wrote Branagh. If not I am missing.

Interestingly Branagh is masculine and means dark raven in Gaelic, the feminine form is Branna and is almost always given to a girl with black hair ("Black Irish"). I choose Brana as it is a feminine Old Norse name meaning steep or tall, she is as tall as a hill dwarf can be. I try to use Old Norse when naming Dwarves since all of Tolkien's Dwarves are named in Old Norse and I like the feel.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by drpete »

Rex wrote:I assume you meant Brana when you wrote Branagh. If not I am missing.
I suspect that either I typed it out wrong or my auto-correct tried to help me out and I didn't notice. Fixing it.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Thanks.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rex wrote:Do I have any spells available and can I cast them?
I don't believe any of us are reliant on spellbooks, so we should be able to cast any spells that don't require material components/arcane focus. I just checked Sabyllos' spells, and he's good to go for all of them. In particular, he has Mage Hand, which could snag us keys, and Command, which might help against a guard.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by drpete »

Rex wrote:Do I have any spells available and can I cast them?
You *do* have your spells, though you do not have access to spell books, arcane foci, or spell components. Unfortunately, as *your characters* have discovered by this point... the cell cave appears to be under the influence of an anti- magic field.

As a result of the manacles, you are "restrained", except that your movement is not reduced. Your attacks and dexterity saving throws have disadvantage, and attacks against you have advantage. This would also impact things like eldritch blast, since that has a ranged spell attack.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#29 Post by Scott308 »

ybn1197 wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:
Tell me about it! My wife tolerates my gaming hobby but if I spent two consecutive weekends away I better be coming home with more than just flowers. :lol:
She's with me! And she's the one more likely to buy spiders.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

Note... we're not going to put language issues in the foreground all the time, but there are 15 people in this room, with various amounts of language overlap.

I figure it can help focus your individual interactions more towards people you can more easily speak with. Eventually it'll fade into the background, though. Don't worry. I'm not going to require somebody to translate the whole time.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ravenn4544 »

Home! I'll have my character ready to go today.

Was there a link to add a character to this campaign in D&D beyond that I may have missed?

thx!
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by drpete »

Welcome back! The link should have been sent to you via PM:)
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by ravenn4544 »

Question on attack damage for a fighter with dueling fighting style. Is this correct?

Battleaxe:
1d10 (base damage due to proficiency w/ martial weapons)
+3 (str bonus)
+2 (proficiency bonus)
+2 (one weapon dueling fighting style)

total: 1d10+7

The character builder shows 1d10+3 only so wanted to double check
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by drpete »

I'm pretty sure you don't add proficiency to weapon damage. I think the character builder assumes it doesn't know if your character has another weapon in his other hand (to get the extra +2)
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#35 Post by Scott308 »

Proficiency bonus does not get added to damage, only attack. The battle axe has the versatile property. If you use it one-handed, it does 1d8 damage, so you would get the extra +2 (making it a +5). If you use it two-handed, it does 1d10 damage and would not qualify for the dueling fighting style, so no additional +2.

Beyond should recognize that the character does not have a weapon in the other hand as he does not have a second weapon marked active. Try wielding your dagger- the damage for the axe should drop to 1d8+3. Also, and this goes for everyone, you can have both melee and ranged weapons with their associated ammo active. My character currently has shortsword, shortsword, shortbow, and arrows active.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by drpete »

Alright, I tweaked the opening slightly to include Thoril. Welcome aboard! You've been captured by the Drow, and I encourage you to try to escape (which is the group's first challenge). Good Luck!
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by ravenn4544 »

Scott308 wrote:Proficiency bonus does not get added to damage, only attack. The battle axe has the versatile property. If you use it one-handed, it does 1d8 damage, so you would get the extra +2 (making it a +5). If you use it two-handed, it does 1d10 damage and would not qualify for the dueling fighting style, so no additional +2.
Thanks!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Pulpatoon »

BTW, just to be clear: I assume we are not meant to read the Labor threads we're not in, right?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by drpete »

Not really, though you guys will be coming back together at the end of your "shift" so it's not a huge deal. It can be assumed you share info, if you want.

Splitting you up gives you a more manageable chance to see different things, get to know the small army of npcs in this adventure, etc. :)

Though you guys could have attacked the large group of guards that divided you up in the morning, you don't know things like how to get out of here, yet. Settle in for a little while, until you familiarize yourselves with the environment and a full blown plan can develop.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by drpete »

Apologies, folks... work kinda blew up today. I'll get things moving along later today.

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”