Action thread 1 - the departing

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action thread 1 - the departing

#21 Post by migellito »

I start up the trail, falling into our marching order.

"Right then! Single file to hide our numbers."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Argennian »

Yosef smiles and takes a deep breath, pausing mentally for a quick moment to take in the cool air and glory of this morning finally come. He had anticipated the feelings of impatience and longing. The donkey he's leading bumps him back to paying attention as they assail the trail to the pass.

"A glorious and promising morning, friends. May our way be open and safe..."

Edit: to correct beast of burden! :)
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Till thanks Bandyman for all of his assistance, hitches his pack up tight, flashes a smile at the rest of the party and says, "Let's go!"

Then he takes off at a brisk pace to put just a little space between him and the rest of the party so he can properly scout ahead. The only thing odd the others in the party note about his movement is that he does it in complete silence - not a pebble disturbed nor the ground scuffed.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by rredmond »

The first day goes fairly uneventfully, and Jeloon notices Eyman actually yawn at one point. But despite the rubble and mules' annoyance at everyone else's slow pace, you figure you make about 10 or 11 miles in the first day, with only a quick rest for lunch. There were a few times that folks leaned up against the mules at certain points, but the pass has widened to about 12 feet across at this point and looks to widen even more coming up. It's still rocky, but it's also still clear, and you have a pretty good view of the mountains going up, and the treacherous looking climbs that would ensue if you tried to get up them.

The day is coming to an end, no one has used spells or lost hit points. As it starts to darken what do you do to prepare for the night, and what will the watches be?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by migellito »

"Ancor and Rosin, you two help Till set up the tent. Van, go with Yosef to find some firewood, but don't get out of sight from the mules. Eyman, come with me to look for firewood. We'll set up a campfire and try our best to bank the light with rocks so it's hard to see from up ahead on the pass. The rest, unpack the mules for the night and find some of the rations. After that we'll all have a little to eat and figure watches."

She starts to head off for wood, then stops and turns back. "And I haven't become used to saying please and thank you yet. My apologies."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Argennian »

Yosef removes his backpack and stretches a bit, taking a look around at the rugged terrain surrounding them.

He nods his head first to Jeloon, with a smile, and then pairs up with Van to gather loose wood for their campfire. "Ah, our first evening under the stars! I enjoyed the days of festivities, and the room at the inn mind you, but it feels good to be out and about and traveling again. Wouldn't you say so, master Van?", offers the elf with an easy if not giddy smile.

Edit: grammar (again!)
Last edited by Argennian on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard sets his pack and shield down, and removes his mace from his belt. He unpacks enough rations for Till, Rosin, Ancor and himself, puts them on the back of his shield, then brings it to them while they set up the tent. He sets the shield down like a serving tray and quietly blesses the food.

'Come, brothers, nourish your body and mind with this food. Rosin, I hope you're effective with your longsword, as it looks that you and I will be on third watch tonight.'

Bruard takes a bite of the bread, and is surprised at how good it tastes. He is reminded fondly of the villagers and their willingness to help the party. He helps with setting up the tent, then collects up enough wood for a small fire.

OOC: Refresh my memory: Is this tent big enough for all of us?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Till sits on the ground by Bruard and joins in the meal, spirits high.

When the meal is done, he digs through his pack for his pipe and tobacco pouch. Packing a bit of leaf into the pipe, he lights it with the end of a burning twig and takes several long pulls off the pipe, leaning back on one arm.

"It's getting late, and we have many miles to go, so everyone settle in and get some rest while you can. I'll take first watch with Ancor."

With that, he taps out his pipe and stows it away. He pulls out his sword and sets to whetting the edge until it is razor sharp, the rhythm of the stone on steel quickly lulling everyone else to sleep. (Everyone except Ancor, that is...)
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by migellito »

Jeloon continually glances up the pass and up both mountainsides as everyone eats by the campfire, but she is clearly pleased to be outdoors and travelling again. She even smiles once or twice during the conversation.

After taking off her armor, she bundles up under her cloak and blanket outside, making sure she can feel her sword's scabbard lying next to her leg. Those who have known her for a while recognise her somewhat humorous nightly routine of carefully positioning and re-positioning her pack and other belongings 'just so' before going to sleep.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by rredmond »

The night passes quietly and without incident. The quietness is a bit uncomfortable because there are not even the normal sounds of insects and animals. Eyman is clearly becoming convinced that the danger and excitement he signed up for isn't as forthcoming as he'd hoped.

Breaking camp in the morning, there are clouds, but it's not a grey day by any means. In the new day you can tell that the pass starts to widen drastically up ahead.

Let me know if you have any adjustments/modifications to how you've been traveling. You can see that maybe after another hour of travel the pass doubles in width and then keeps widening.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

Other than moving into the two-by marching order, I don't think we need to make any changes.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by rredmond »

Just shy of noon, Till stops the party. Quite a ways down the pass he can see a group of human-sized folk, 5 of them, they are straight ahead and a little to the right as if they were coming from the mountians to the center of the pass. They've obviously caught sight of you as they've stopped, gathered, and then started moving your way, perhaps more cautiously. You're in a good flat stretch of pass (a bit further from where you see them, the pass bends), and at the slow rate they are moving, they won't reach you for a good 15 minutes. But they are certainly headed your way.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Till relays what he's seen to everyone in the party.

"It's about time for lunch, anyway. Let's give them plenty of room to pass us by. As long as they show no outward signs of hostility, we'll treat them in kind. And should they do otherwise... we will treat them in kind."

Till loosens his sword in his scabbard and directs Ancor and Rosin to take the three donkeyassmules as far to one side of the path as possible.

"Jeloon, stay up front with Van and Eyman." Seeing how nervous Eyman appears to be, he claps him on the arm and says, "Now don't get jittery, Eyman. They are a lot of travelers out there like us." Then he adds, "Just keep your distance and don't provoke them. But don't look like you're keeping your distance. Just act casual."

As he walks towards the back of the group, he gives Jeloon the keep-an-eye-on-him look.

"I'll hang tight here in the middle, between Ancor, Rosin, and the mules and the rest of the path. Yosef, Bruard - keep to the other side of the donkeyassmules and watch our rear."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by migellito »

Jeloon holds her shield but leaves her sword in its scabbard, then moves to stand with Van and Eyman (not behind them.) "You can go ahead and grab your shields, but don't draw your weapons yet. Remember.. if it's orcs.. they might be my cousins." She smiles at Eyman.

To ease the tension she tries to start Van and Eyman chatting a bit, with "who were the last you remember coming down out of the pass into town?"
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Argennian »

Yosef does as Till suggests, moving to the other side of the donkeys. He puts his bow to hand, making sure to keep it low and hidden from obvious view.

As the party begins to casually move forward, Yosef will begin to check around without trying to appear obvious. He'll take a look behind them and up the sides of the trail, hoping to notice anything that might suggest a trap or ambush.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by rredmond »

Ancor and Rosin move back with the three DAMs and to the side to get out of the way and as close to the nearest outcropping as they can.

Van crouches down next to Jeloon, he places a spear on the ground next to him, grasps another spear (but keeping it close to the ground) and preps his shield by leaving it face down to the ground (for now) so it's not easily seen from afar. He bounces a bit, loosening himself up. Eyman isn't quite sure what to do but stands with his shield at the ready, wipes his palms on his leathers and sticks close to Jeloon. "I've never seen anyone come out of the pass, though there were some who entered," he answers distractedly, staring at the approaching group.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by migellito »

"It will be interesting to see who these are then. Maybe they can tell us something about what lies further up."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Argennian »

"My thoughts exactly, mistress Jeloon. If they are in fact hostile, and martial action becomes imminent, perhaps we could take a prisoner for questioning? As a point of order, friends, I do have a spell memorized that could be used to charm one of them. It has proven a useful option at times previous. I am hopeful it will not come to that, however..."

Yosef continues to keep as unobvious an eye peeled for movement behind and above them as is possible.

OOC: I think I was under the impression that we were proceeding forward. It appears we're posted up for lunch and waiting for the figures to approach. Is this correct?

Edit: grammar & spelling!
Last edited by Argennian on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by migellito »

ooc: aye, I thought we stopped :)
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by rredmond »

As they come closer you can see that this is a group of 5 elves, dressed in leather and sporting long swords and bows, with full quivers. They stop about 20 - 25 yards from your camp. Four hang back, nocking arrows to bows but they are pointing at the ground; the fifth, a bit nicer dressed than the rest (though still dressed for the wilderness) comes a bit forward from them, bow on his back and sword sheathed at his side.

"Hello fellow travelers, from where have you set out?" He calls, stopping about 50 feet from you.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”