Intersystems Academy (Character Creation)

Starbeard
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intersystems Academy (Character Creation)

#21 Post by Starbeard »

I hoped to get more character information up tonight but I've had to prep for class a lot more than expected, so it'll have to wait.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

No problem. My work schedule is all messed up right now and I am running behind as well.

Thanks for the Dwarf info.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Starbeard »

Suddenly came down with a cold, too! So it looks like I might not get full character tables out until the weekend.

In the meantime, since we're beginning with 4.5k, I suggest everyone do the following:

1. Roll HD, just once for your current level mustering out. All HD are d6. Jedi who are twin-classed, take whichever total is higher only.

2. Since we are beginning with XP, multiply your gold roll by 30 instead of 10. We will also roll/assign some minor magic, but that will have to wait until the weekend.

3. Purchase equipment (pp. 14-16 in the PDF). Edged weapons will be interpreted as lightsabers, blunt weapons and polearms as vibro or taser-charged electric weapons, and ranged weapons as blasters and lasers. Shields are normal (we'll say energy shields are interpreted as magic shields). Basic adventuring clothes (Luke or Han) and officer uniforms are akin to leather, helmeted trooper uniforms are chain, and storm trooper style suits are plate.

4. Figure out your basic encumbrance, and we'll see about whether to keep weapon encumbrance the same before we start.

5. Both because I can't find any mention of how to acquire spells, and because we want to try as much of the game out as possible, assume all spellcasters know every spell they can cast. Note that the rules for researching new spells seem much cheaper in these rules.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#24 Post by Dicey »

Dicey (Jedi, 10%/10%): Hero (4500/4500)+Medium (0/1800); OR lvl3 Seer (4500/8100)
If I understand this correctly, a jedi can be a 3/1 level F/MU or a 3rd level MU? If so, I’ll go with 3rd level MU so as to get more spells/jedi powers.
Roll HD, just once for your current level mustering out. All HD are d6. Jedi who are twin-classed, take whichever total is higher only.
What are HP for other levels besides the one d6 rolled? Would we roll 3 times if 3rd level?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Starbeard »

Dicey wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 am
Dicey (Jedi, 10%/10%): Hero (4500/4500)+Medium (0/1800); OR lvl3 Seer (4500/8100)
If I understand this correctly, a jedi can be a 3/1 level F/MU or a 3rd level MU? If so, I’ll go with 3rd level MU so as to get more spells/jedi powers.
Roll HD, just once for your current level mustering out. All HD are d6. Jedi who are twin-classed, take whichever total is higher only.
What are HP for other levels besides the one d6 rolled? Would we roll 3 times if 3rd level?
I believe it would be F4/MU1, or MU3. Contrary to expectations, XP bonuses reduce your XP needed per level rather than increase XP gained, so with a -10% bonus a fighter only needs 4500 instead of 5000 to reach Hero.

Starting page 12 of the PDF, the tables have this:
MU: level 3 (Seer) gets 2HD, and has 3/1/-/-/- in spells.
Fighter: level 4 (hero) gets 4HD.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by Dicey »

The F/MU is the clear survivability choice, but I’m looking for a fuller jedi experience so the MU3 fits that with a lot more spell/powers. In your rules adaptation, are the jedi powers a once-a-day thing?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Starbeard »

A magic-leaning jedi would be fun, and sort of a mystic wizard portrayal. If you picture Yoda's original depiction, I would say he once trained up to level 4 as a fighter only as the required training, and otherwise spent his 800+ years pursuing nothing but enlightenment and wizardry.

We'll play jedi powers just like normal spells, at least for this initial run. If the game keeps going, I might freely bring in more house rules from throughout D&D, and shift around spells/powers as well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Starbeard »

Looks good, Rex!

Here is (I think) the list of everything we need from characters to begin:

Aside from prime requisite XP modifiers, the only hardcoded ability score modifier goes to Health, which determines hit dice adjustments:
Page 6 (PDF page 12)
Health Modifiers
6 or less: -2 from hit dice (min roll of 1)
7-8: -1 (min roll of 1)
13-14: +1 on hit dice (min roll of 3)
15 or higher: +2 (min roll of 4)
The only other thing we have to worry about before getting started is equipment, including weapons, armor, and AC. Equipment works the same way as usual: buy your item with gold, add its weight to your total encumbrance, and check your encumbrance against the movement rates.
Equipment costs on page 8-9, weights on 9-10 (PDF pages 14-16).

Encumbrance rates:
Light foot movement 0 to 700
Heavy foot movement 701 to 850
Armored foot movement 851 to 1000
Half armored movement 1001 to 1500
I will allow hubbles and very strong humans to carry heavier loads, but give me a day to figure that out.

Weapons & Armor
List your weapons used and armor type worn, since a lot of combat is weapon type vs armor type. Some combats will use the normal D20 Level vs AC system, which is on page 23 (PDF page 31). Find the AC of your armor type and list it as well.

Upkeep
The upkeep system is much more detailed in the draft. Characters need to pay 1% of the minimum XP needed for their current level, every month (while adventuring in the “upper world”) or every week (in the “underworld”). Retainers and hirelings are the same: you pay them monthly, or weekly if they are taken underground (in our case that will simply mean, “out adventuring”). You can mark that down if you like, or not. We will see what method works best when we get to it.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#30 Post by Dicey »

HP: [2d6]=7 With the +1 at 2nd level, a total of 8.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Starbeard »

Rex wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:45 am Hits [4d6]=18

The only thing I just caught is that Gore's 7 Health should drop his HP to 14, from the -1 to each die.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Thanks. Just caught that myself. I will wrap up his inventory over the next couple of days. Started with plate but may downgrade depending on how his encumbrance ends up.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Starbeard »

Dicey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:32 am HP: [2d6]=7 With the +1 at 2nd level, a total of 8.

Love the spells! We'll determine costs for the items tomorrow. What weapons are you using for your lightsaber and blaster? A normal sword is a good bet, but a two-handed sword is terrific in Chainmail and also feels lightsabery (though obviously disallows shields). The standard blaster pistol could be either a short bow or light crossbow, I think.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Starbeard »

Does everyone have a copy of Chainmail? Having the combat table will help with determining what type of weapon or armor you might want.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

A two-handed sword is a neat idea for Gore. Could it function as a two-handed sword by the rules but look like Darth Mauls double sword/staff?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Starbeard wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 am Does everyone have a copy of Chainmail? Having the combat table will help with determining what type of weapon or armor you might want.
No, but I will look around when I have a few more minutes.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by gurusql »

I will not be able to post for at least a few days as I am in the hospital

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Starbeard »

gurusql wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:38 pm I will not be able to post for at least a few days as I am in the hospital
Oh, dear. Get well soon!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

I'll send out the relevant Chainmail combat tables this evening, and put them in their own Combat Rules thread for easy reference.

After that, I have finals grading to do all this next week, during which we can continue with characters and questions, and I'm hoping to get the game rolling the week after.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

Sounds like a plan.

Return to “Record of the Star Wars (OD&D)”