Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

#21 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

His ring pings, as he was made aware.

"It is not a man. Not anymore. He is Undead. We should put him out of his misery."

I am also concerned the crucified undead might be pinned upon the wall to lure us into a trap.

"My understanding is that my ring enables me to stay invisible to such, at least until I have to take offense. So let me approach and search for traps."

Vann Hector: save vs Spells 15+ [1d20]=5

I will counsel folk to stay away from the end of the corridor and go along it using my artisan toolkit to test for traps.

Vann Hector: Find & Remove Traps vs 30% plus Artisan toolkit +10%: find [1d100]=36 remove [1d100]=40
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He raises his flail involuntarily at the undead victim. "Interesting. Something turned that thing but left it pinned. Or..." He shudders a bit at the thought. "Or dying down here eventually results in your body being turned."

The Knight focuses his thoughts and tries to decern evil from the creature. He scans the hallway and doors as well.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I can map as we go. Starting off of the map OM posted, and not reaching the quality of Sastaz. :D
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Sastaz has set a very high bar for maps.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

Lifts up his holy symbol, readying himself to cast or turn undead while Vann moves cautiously into the room, but for the moment will hold.

Let's hope not Sir Dewey, but there certainly seems to be enough dark magic in here for a curse such as that.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Rat Room.

In the passage, the ravenous zombie stirs but is unable to release itself from the nails which has pinned it to the wall at the end.

Vann Hector shudders from the sight and from the bone chilling effect his ring invokes.

see private forum for failed save results.

He uses his instincts for trouble and holds those who want to investigate the restrained creature from going too close. Scouring the floor you find the pressure plate trigger points and set off the unseen trap, a large pit which opens up directly In front of the zombie. The pit is about thirty feet deep and bottoms out in wicked looking spikes. Past victims are still impaled upon the sharpened stakes, skeletal and rotten from decay. you count two bodies and a dead beetle as well.
The zombie snarls, almost laughing at the trap discovery, enticing folk to still come closer. He makes no reaction to the presence of the elf though you stand directly in front of it, your ring indeed making you invisible to undead, at least to zombies. Vann Hector you can disable the trap so that the pit stays permanently open. Around the pit is a ledge a few inches wide so with a good dexterity you could edge around it to the zombie if you wish.

Finding no other exits, the only progress is through the next door which opens into another flagstoned passage. There is a door immediately to your left and to the right a portion of wall that looks as though deliberately blocked up. Ad-hoc bricks and large stones have been mortared together and topped with bits of barbed wire and broken glass. It seems designed to keep whoever or whatever at bay. At the very top a slim gap, no more than an inch or two wide. Skeletal hands, caught in the wire or impaled upon the glassy icicles give a hint to danger beyond should you decide to knock your way through.

The passage continues another 10'ft west before turning south, proceeding 30'ft to an archway. Beyond the archway is impenetrable thick darkness. Halfway down the southern passage is another, 10x10'ft open pit. It also drops considerably more than that. Those who took testimony from the BRAG adventurers will note this out trap was the one in which Peaches McGhee was found, stuck inside a magic ice cube and held, frozen in stasis until thawed out.

decide what you want to do with the pinned zombie.

Listening at the door does not get you any information, it is quiet beyond. You can jump the next pit trap with a successful Dexterity check [3d6]. The darkness in the passage beyond the archway refuses to illuminate to any infravision or lantern light, suggesting it is magic Darkness.

A foul smell, everywhere actually smells but from the dark archway, an extra rotten stench comes. Using his Detect Evil, the paladin can pick up an aura of wrong and evil that pervades hidden in the dark.

next actions please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Yes, I will disable the trap. At least we know that it won't surprise others who follow behind us. I am guessing most monsters here are aware of such traps and avoid them?

I think the zombie should be slain before we move on. He is not talking like Deucalion did, not pleading to be let down and rescued. It might also be worth checking the bodies in the pit before we move on if looting dead bodies for treasure is not beyond the devout among us.

If someone, (Sundance?) belays me, I can go down and climb back up. I will shoot a bolt into the beetle too just to be sure it is dead and not just resting there.

After searching the bodies, I will climb back up and then check out the passage with the next pit and dark archway.

Rather go through doors than corridors in magic darkness. Unless a cleric or Mage uses a Light spell, we can go that way last. What do others prefer?
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Don't go down the dark area until we get the area lit. I think ghoul. Let's check the door immediately to the left. (into the nest? room)."

The Knight will corral everyone to assist Vann in his searching and looting endeavor.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

Excellent plan to search the bodies in the pit. Ill help hold your rope. Anybody have any good ideas on how to deal with that zombie?
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid uses one flask of oil and lights her hooded lantern, shining it into the pit. "Is that enough light," moving about the pit below.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Rat Room.

The group take in a few tasks. The pit in front of the walled zombie is delved, firstly after checking the large beetle is truly dead and not just dormant upon a sharpened spike. There is no reaction after Vann Hector pings it, the Barrowmaze traps being effective for man and beast alike. The zombie in the wall writhes and drools, unable to quench his thirst for blood and flesh though tempting targets stand just a couple of yards out of his reach. Spread-eagled upon the wall, it just gnashes until brutally out out of its misery by Treyvor and Martell.

The bodies in the pit cough up (figurative not literally) and Vann Hector can add to the group purse. +30gp, +75sp, + filigree necklace of intricate silver chain.

With the lantern light, you can explore the depths of the second pit too. Repeating the process of some on guard and others belaying. There is nothing in the second pit and nothing stirs from the dark archway to assault you while you delve. Taking the door rather than archway or bashing through the blocked passage, it opens into an odd shaped room with two doors opposite, each set into an angled wall. (One facing the northeast, one to the southeast). On your map, the room has been noted as 'Nest'. There is no bird nest inside but the room has been nested in. A lot of the flagstone flooring has been churned up and little burrows dug underneath. Around the walls are several large rodent traps with pieces of mouldy cheese placed on spring trigger-plates. A bucket of rats, each recently bashed and skewered on a stick, is in one corner. One rat still jerks in death throes, back broken and squeaking its last.

The room has ruins of old furnishings but little else of note.

actions please
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Hands over the trove to Moorheeth. If we can't trust a cleric, who can we trust!

After searching the second pit and staying clear of the magically Dark passage beyond the archway, he agrees with the continuing door-by-door approach.

The odd room, two more doors. I am guessing that the rat bucket has just been filled and the rat hunters are nearby? Heard us and moved in or hidden. He tells his 'shadow', Sundance to search the room with her elven race skills to locate any extra secret doors while he goes to listen at one of the two facing us. The NE one.

Also mindful of the rat burrows that a swarm of them don't suddenly emerge from the ground to nibble at us. Maybe some flames from torches over the holes might deter whiskered critters from coming out?

A bucket o' rats. Surely undead would just grab and eat them. So maybe someone, a human or humanoid and at least alive and sentient is lairing here. We could trade better food for knowledge if we can befriend them.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Agreed. Something alive is using it for food. Most likely non-human." He looks at the still-squirming rat. "And still nearby it seems."

"I recall that rats eat their own, so I'm not super concerned about a swarm right now. Let's try the NE one."

I'm trying some map things out:
map_17x18_small.jpg
map_17x18_small.jpg (23.36 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Ponders a moment, wondering what rat would taste like. She doubted it would cook up well. Lantern still in hand she shines it about the room wondering who uses/used such furniture.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

super map! Better than mine! Take 50xp for the effort too. It is almost perfect. The gap in the 'Smelly room' is actually covered in rubble, the wall knocked through at waist height, (something knocked their way out rather than in, hence the rubble lies in the passage). That room used as an unceremonious dumping ground for the dead bodies slain by Sven's group earlier.

Also, thirty feet to the east of the southern door of the Rat Room is another door on the north side of that corridor, the square with the arrow in. I noted that in the description when you entered the corridor.

The 'Long Corridor' going west to east at the top, ends to the east in a door (to the room labelled Rocking Chair room) rather than an arrow at that particular point.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Monsieur Rose »

edited the map :D
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

Pockets the treasure.

Moorheeth agrees with the strategy of searching through the area well taking down all of these doors one at a time before we venture too far down one of the corridors. Ill stick to the middle for now and back up Vann and Sundance while they use their skills to look for secrets and traps etc...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Beyond the Rat Room.

The group search the burrows, warding away the teeth and whiskers of rats lurking in the dug out dens. The caught rat put out of its misery in similar fashion to the pinned up zombie.

Choosing to go through the upper door, Vann Hector listens but hears nothing beyond. He pushes the door, slightly hard to open but not stuck. A sound of flinty metal striking across the flagstone beneath, like a stone caught under the door. As you open the door you smell an oily aroma ...

Oil pool trap. Ignition 1-4 [1d6]=6 fireball [3d6]=7

it strikes you that you may be opening upon a trap, the door having a flint type matchstick fixed that would ignite a pool of oil upon the floor. Certainly blazing upon an unwary who advanced within and possibly scorching any who stand behind. The trap seems jury rigged, assembled in haste and fortunately for the oft suspected rogue, this jury finds in his favour and does not condemn him to a fiery conviction.

You can easily disable the trap and move in. Actually this room is only that half-diagonal map square and one other, making a room with uneven lengthed walls (one of 20'ft, one of 10'ft) extending eastwards. It is a dead end.

Vann Hector and Sundance: secrets revealed [1d100]=84[1d100]=32[1d100]=2[1d100]=71

Between Vann Hector & Sundance, their elven racial skills give them favour too and each locates a secret door, now not so secret. One in the north wall (which opens in the square before the zombie pit trap) and one fixed in the east. Sundance can push the north one open and note that though no one is present, a few oily footprints are dabbed on the floor, fading after a few steps. Are 'they', whoever 'they' are circling behind you or running away?

Vann Hector, you can open the eastern secret door which leads more corridor, 10'ft more from the door then opening into the middle of an adjoining N-S passage, 30'ft in length. At the top is a closed crypt door.

actions and explorations please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Warns the others regarding the footprints. I am inclined to think that any who lair here might try to outflank us for some ambush attempts.

"Beware. They might be coming in behind us!"

I also don't want to spread us too thin across numerous rooms and corridors. If the eastern corridor is empty then I will suggest a fighter type (Bucko or Martell?) follow with me and Sundance on the heels of the footprints to circle around behind us. They might try to hit the group from behind and we will do the same to them.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"It looks to be a single person, probably running from a large armored party." The Knight nods at Vann's skullduggery expertise and stands guard here while others follow around. "Watch your step, they look to know this place well. Don't be led into another trap."

He keeps the door open to the nest room, as well as the two secret doors. Waiting for the vanguard group to return.

"I'll watch the new corridor, you watch for them to return." He remarks to anyone who stays with him.
map_17x18 (2)_small.jpg
map_17x18 (2)_small.jpg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Return to “Completed Expeditions”