Conweena

Conweena is ready to go in the morning.
snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

Re: Intermission in Millhaven

#22 Post by snarkdogg »

Harker is ready in the morning.

I have a question about my horse. Is it my possession or property of the Order? If it is property of the Order can I leave it here with the Order and then get another at the city. Or do I need to ride along with the wagon?
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta will be ready to go in the morning.

(I am still getting a few minor points in order but that should not hold us up)
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Ithril »

snarkdogg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:07 am Harker is ready in the morning.

I have a question about my horse. Is it my possession or property of the Order? If it is property of the Order can I leave it here with the Order and then get another at the city. Or do I need to ride along with the wagon?

The horses you rode during the tournament were on loan from The Duke. Harker doesn't have a horse yet so far as I know.
Maybe soon?

I tried to write the start to the new adventure last night, but the forum logged me out while I was composing it, and so it was lost to the interwebs as such things often do. I'll be posting one as soon as I can today.

I
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Anything longer than a standard quick post I write in Word first.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Ithril »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm Anything longer than a standard quick post I write in Word first.
A habit I obviously need to get in to. :evil:
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Intermission in Millhaven And Journey to Stomanell City

#27 Post by Ithril »

Morning, Omdae (day of rest), the 31st of Hlothra

With everything prepared, you pack your things for the long trip to Stomanell City. The wagon will arrive early in the morning to start the journey. The next morning you are up long before the chickens, and finalize your preparations. With all your things ready, you head over to the Angryvern Tavern, for a final meal before you go, and to settle your debts there.

The good proprietor, Frenald isn't quite ready for you, but serves some cold bread and coddled butter while he gets the fires going, and prepares a proper breakfast. Soon you can smell the cooking meat, bacon and sausage frying somewhere in the hidden recesses of the kitchen.As you wait, you talk about the letter Conweena got from The Duke, and it's implications.

Soon, with stomachs growling, spurred on by the delicious smells coming from behind the doors of the kitchen, Frenald returns with sizzling meats, and platters of eggs, bowls of porridge, and soft boiled barley spiced with honey. While you are dividing this, he brings a fresh loaf of sour bread, and a pot of crushed sweetberry preserves. Hot tea, and cold goats milk is brought to help finish the meal, and soon you find the repast finished, and not too soon; you can hear the wagoneer come about pulling the horses to stop at the Windrush inn.

With your debt to the tavern fulfilled, you hurry out to meet the wagon master, Dregodrand Erbin ("Call me Drego"), checking the wagon and horses once more before the long journey. He's a large rotund man, wearing a woolen cloak bundled tight against the morning chill, gloves that are worn shiny from tending the leads on the horses, and a leather apron to protect himself while tending to horse business. His boots are thick, and clots of drying mud still stick to them.

He greets Conweena, and starts reminding her (and the rest of you) to be sure to have everything you can possibly need before leaving. "We have a long road to Stomanell City. Long indeed. And there are few villages or markets to be found. Sleeping is going to be rough in the wagon, but better for a journey than putting up canvas every evening...." his sermon goes on for some minutes. Fortunately, the road never digresses far from the River Rushing so there is no fear of running out of water. this is a little lost on Conweena, as she has made the journey to Millhaven from Stomanell once already, and to Dorath who has spent many months on the road in his own caravan. The two who probably benefit most from the advice are Pebble, and Igber.

With everything finally loaded, final arrangements done, and the tab for your rooms paid, you board the wagon to leave Millhaven on the way to Stomanell City. Harker and Traesta pray a blessing of protection on the wagon and the horses just before they board. As Drego urges the horses to begin, you hear roosters serenade for the dawn, though it is still quite dark. Leaving the town, you see the countryside is veiled in a heavy cold morning mist. Distant landmarks you are familiar with are lost to the chill haze, but the wagoneer is sure of the road, and as you leave the town, he hastens the horses to a comfortable speed.

The town quickly fades, but the road meanders through neighborhoods of croplands and pastures populated with sheep and goats, and a few cows as well, all out for their own meals of grass or hay in spite of the chill. Dawn breaks bright and still the driver pushes on as the sun chases the lasts of the morning mist from sight.

"I know a lot of stories about the land, so if there's anything you want to know, speak up. 'Tis going to be a long journey. Longer if we have to spend it in silence!" he announces. If no one takes him up on the offer, he doesn't mind, and begins to whistle or sing, though he would quickly become slim if his wages depended on those skills. In this way the day passes, and soon 12 miles are behind you. It is noon, and there are still many long miles ahead.

Seriously, if any of you have questions, this is a good fellow to ask. Otherwise, if everything is good, I'll hit the FF button. Also, if you need/want a map to know where you're going, just let me know.

Edit to add:
If you want to arrange a particular night watch schedule, let me know, otherwise I'll just make any potential night encounters the luck of the draw.
Last edited by Ithril on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta sits up with Drego with her sling on her lap and will chat up Drego with great starters like. After she winds him up she will let him talk away.

"
  • What is most common type of traveler on the his road?
  • What is the most common trouble we will find on this road?
  • What are some of the rare encounters you have seen or heard about?
"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will keep watch for bandits and ask about local areas as they move along.
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Ithril »

The first day and night passes Several days and nights pass without incident. Drego is able to goad a few more miles from the horses, rising extra early, and working well into the night to put the miles behind you.

The countryside you are passing is pleasant, filled with fields of grain and flax, or occasionally orchards and fallow fields fenced for livestock of assorted kinds.

In spite of your hurry, you occasionally take the time to snare a wild rabbit or pheasant for fresh meat which you cook over an open fire at the side of the road in the evening. The road isn't tooo busy, but you have regular encounters with other travelers going to Millhaven to buy or to sell in the town.

By the evening Mid-morning of the fourth day, you reach a bridge spanning a small river at the Eriztern end of Lake. From here, the lake cuts almost due Sount. Somewhere just beyond sight in the Sount of the lake, you can see the rough sparsely forested hills arise. These hills hold back the water to form the lake, but they are cut by a large river that will continue to Stomanell City. To the Nordt-Erizt you can see the beginnins of a forest, and ahead are wild lands that are mostly unsettled. Drego stops and here fills his water rations for the horses. The easy access to water will be gone for a few days while, and he wants to be sure the horses have plenty to drink until the road and the river follow a more similar course.
gurusql wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 am Traesta

Traesta sits up with Drego with her sling on her lap and will chat up Drego with great starters like. After she winds him up she will let him talk away.

"What is most common type of traveler on the his road?"
For this road, it will be merchants and farmers all going to or from between Stomanell City and Millhaven. occcasionally there may be a patrol of either The Dukes Guard, or Sentinels of Paldon, to keep order in the Duchy.
"What is the most common trouble we will find on this road?"
Like anyplace else, there will be highwaymen, bandits trying for an easy mark. Little can be done when people choose a path of theft. But I'm sure with a Sentinel of Paldon in our company" (he nods at Harker) there will be little for us to fear. He nods at the forest in the nordt "There is the edge of the Krekur Wood. They say of old, it hid ogres, but I've never seen any. They say too that an old Lord, Dhor, I think he was called... was able to exterminate them, but it's a big forest, so... Maybe some are left? It's hard to say. I've never seen any. Otherwise you have your regular problems dealing with a wild forest. Bears and such mostly, stirges occasionally, goblins rarely, wolves naturally.
"What are some of the rare encounters you have seen or heard about?"
As Drego goes into this story, he watches you for any reaction. He is nervous about what you will think of his tale.
Once, years ago, while I was learning the road and driving the wagons from my father, I was really not paying too much atttention. I was far more interested in a big storm that was looming far to the Sount. I don't know how far, because it wasn't Erizt or Wenzt, but to the sount you can see very far. Anyway... I was watchign the storm build, and then I saw something come out of the storm clouds. They were incredibly far away, so they just looked like gnats. But they must have been enormous for me to even see them so far away... so to get on with it; I was watching and they were dancing in the clouds. Coming out, diving back in, back and forth, gone a while and then they came out close together, and there was a flash! And then the other one looked like it was made of fire! But just for a moment. Papa wouldn't ever talk to me about it, but *I think* they may have been real dragons!
But alas, that was when I was a young boy, and I've never seen anything like that since. Talk about dragons today, and people will say you're daft, so I usually don't ever mention it. As far as 'rare encounters' on this road? No. just the regular humdrum of merchants, farmers, or the occasional cutpurse.

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:13 am Conweena

Conweena will keep watch for bandits and ask about local areas as they move along.
"Ahead are the Crovird Bluffs. A series of rough high hills that run from Sount-Wenzt of Youlgraeve, Nordt and Erizt past Breden. (Now there's trouble in both of those places, I've heard, but that's no matter, we aren't heading near either of them.) Then of course we have the Krekur wood, but I've explained that. After that, we come to the Stomanel Fields, and finally to Stomanel City.

The next morning, you rise early once again to resume the journey.About a days journey from the bridge About midday you come across a scene of carnage. A wagon, much like your own, carrying a merchant family, perhaps. Their bodies strewn about where they fell. They are all wan and pale. Clearly you weren't the first on the scene, because the wagon and the bodies were stripped of anything valuable. Naturally your group, especially Harker, couldn't let such a thing pass, and so the wagon was stopped to put the bodies to rest, and to give them Paldon's blessings. Drego naturally keeps a well stocked wagon, so shovels were quickly had, and the rest of that day was given to laying the victims to rest. Drego is able to show the marks that caused this scene of death. Large puncture wounds in every victim, and in the horses where stirges attacked and feasted on the helpless travelers. This isn't the first time he's witnessed the mayhem these evil birds can cause. "Beware." he said. "We are now in the wild country. They have feasted but a few days ago, and now they are off, glutted, satisfied and sleeping. But it will not be so for long. They are ravenous evil things. We may find them in our path yet." He warns ominously.

I'll need a wisdom check (roll 1d20, lower is better) from Pebble and Dorath please!
Last edited by Ithril on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena helps to bury the dead and shows them proper respect. "Do we need some sort of blessing so they don't rise from the dead again? Where I am from we burn bodies on a pyre, inter them into the sea, or better yet both to keep that from happening."
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath aids in laying the poor souls to rest. He keeps a close eye on the tree line, and his dagger and sling on his person, as something nags at the back of his mind. Wis roll below, further dialogue/actions based on what nags at the back of his mind. :-)

Wis check target 13 [1d20]=8
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta will help with the blessing as well.
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Igber
While the stronger ones are hacking at the hard, dry ground and trying to make a pit big enough for the bodies, Igber sets water boiling on a fire and then walks about the perimeter of the site looking for signs of anyone who managed to flee the massacre - or of the comings and goings of the involved (or subsequent) groups.

As a city-boy his experience of the wilds is limited to playing in the city's fields near the walls - so actually spotting anything in the somewhat solid ground will be more luck than judgement.

But the break from the bone-breaking jolts of the wagon as it makes quick time on the baked surface of the road is very welcome.
How many horses are pulling this carriage? I'd expect 4 given our speed and numbers.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble also helps to attend to the bodies. No one should be left to rot. "Where these poor bastards dead already when the birds hit or are you saying the birds did this by themselves!?! How big and how many do you think there were?" He looks into the sky and scans all around afraid he may seem them return.

Wis (9) [1d20]=2
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Ithril »

Pebble asked "Where these poor bastards dead already when the birds hit or are you saying the birds did this by themselves!?! How big and how many do you think there were?"

"Nay," Drego says with grave seriousness "See here? ...And here?" He points out the large deep puncture wounds, and tears in the flesh of one of the victims. "This shows they were fighting. This one is holding a hand full of feathers!" he continues the work to bury the dead "You've never seen one?" he looks at Pebble with some expression of mixed amusement and concern, and holds his hand up about two feet apart "Big as a pheasant, and that beak is long like a needle! As far as how many? well... Theres two horses, and the family of four... I would guess only three or four stirges." With this calculation, he returns to the work at hand.

btw, your wagon is hauled by 4 horses.
Last edited by Ithril on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"They sound like nasty creatures."
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by BackworldTraveller »

My mother used to talk of these.

If one lands on you they are hard to reach yourself...get a partner to stab it if you can - and quickly.

Beware of leaving the town...the Stirges will get you. Full of scary stories my mum!
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Ithril »

With only 4 shovels, and a lot of earth to move, it is late into the night before you complete the work, and it leaves 3 of you with little to do, so you set up camp anyway. Meanwhile Pebble is able to secure some game for a meal which Traesta makes a nice stew, gathering herbs to season it. None of Dorath's misgivings come to fruition, and Igber is unable to discover any positive signs of anyone coming or going. It is clear the entire group was killed together by the monstrous birds, and the tracks of the looters are lost in the mix of other tracks in the road, so they are impossible to follow. Even if he could make them out though, there have been several side roads leading off in the country, and they could have taken any of them.

Harker and Traesta both reassure Conweena that Paldon's blessings will be sufficient to ensure that the dead will find their way in the afterworld, and will not return to haunt the lands. All the larger rocks unearthed in digging the burial pits are saved, and laid last over the graves to deter scavengers. By the end of the day, you are all quite exhausted from the work. Pebble and Dorath take the first watch as the rest of you rest. It will be a short night, Drego wishes to be away again as early as possible in the morning, and so only 2 shifts are set.

When the end of the first watch starts to draw near, a small company of wolves are attracted by the scent of spilled blood. They cautiously approach, sensing the lack of activity in the camp, they move closer to investigate. Pebble notices them first, but Dorath wasn't caught unawares by any means, and it is little effort to drive them away. Frightened off by the show of strong force, the wolves do not return for the night, and the second watch is peaceful.

Drego rouses you all early, as is his manner. "We need to be away as soon as possible. I don't wish to allow my team to fall prey to those beasts, And I don't think you want to either!" and with that, and no one to disagree, camp is broken, and bundled back onto the wagon. You are off, once again, long before sunrise. "We'll be through the rough country early in the afternoon, but then the road runs along the Krekur wood, and it's anybodies guess what could lurk there."

As the burial sight falls in the distance, the rough hills of the Crovird Bluffs grow larger. Soon the wagon finds itself on a long and steady uphill slope, and the pace of the horses slackens with the extra work. Even so, the slopes of the hills climb more steeply to either side from the road, and there is no lack of forest and brush on any side. To add to the difficulty of the terrain, the sky is darkening, as if in mourning for the buried dead. After an hour's climb, as you summit the hill, and see ahead a shallow valley, followed by miles of difficult terrain.
Crovird Bluffs - rain.jpg
Crovird Bluffs - rain.jpg (106.26 KiB) Viewed 367 times
(picture does not illustrate the main road you're traveling)

Suddenly lightning cracks, and a steady rain begins to fall, but no one is surprised. Within a few minutes, anything not under the wagon is quite wet. The daylight continues to fade in the storm (It's much darker than the illustration depicts). The misgivings Dorath feared earlier return and Conweena begins to sense them too.

Sorry, Redwarrior. I prefer to have my checks done well ahead of time so I can apply them when needed without delay.
Also, don't read too much into the details of the pictures. They will just be random stock images I can find that are somewhat similar to the atmosphere I'm trying to portray. If I ever become a photoshop master, I can tweak them to look closer to what I want.
Speaking of which... I think now would be a good time for perception checks from the rest of you too! Not that I'm planning on anything, mind! :twisted:
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble sighs as he gets soaked and the water sloshes in his boots. "I don't mind the rain, really. But raining when you are travelling? Well, that sucks"

He'll help gather the horses and wagons as it gets darker. Suggesting they don't wait too long to make camp as it is going to get dark soon and the prospect for a fire seems dim.

Perception/As needed roll:
As Needed [1d20]=8

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”