Character Generation Discussion

jemmus
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#21 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 pm I mean... you can have and use your armor, swords, and high status regardless of the class you choose.

If you rolled Middle tier Samurai in Service with Master-quality swords, you're basically a member of the Minamoto or Taira clans or their immediate cadets. You can embrace that no matter what follows! There's great roleplay there and lots of hooks - perhaps your family is the honored clan who usurped all my family's lands and titles and barely noticed because they were that minor to you?

If you're a Bushi, you are upholding all that family honor stuff and the rest of the group (a secret ninja, a rural ronin bounty hunter, a Shinto priest who gave up his family ties, and another Shugenja) are all more ne'er-do-wells. ;) The GM said he has glue to stick us together, and there's plenty of angles for you to take that story, but your role becomes distinctly alpha-male and that has to be what you want.

If you're a Shugenja, you have all the privileges of that birth but dropped your On in half by taking the less honorable magical road. In that case your story allows you more ne'er-do-well options of your own.

Your choice of Metal (heck, and Fire) also lends well to a hybrid character. It is reasonable to play a character with a little less magical oomph who can hold his own with a blade (especially as you are able to summon magic Katanas and enhance your armor class mystically). It's possible for you to do both. If you go that route, I recommend -
-Str 10 so you can use the Wakizashi fully (Total -2 BCS on Katana so you can do it, but your magical Katana conjuring is better.)
- Speed to 15 gets you two actions around - blades, spells, or combination
- that's 12 points from elsewhere. You can take 2 points from Wit and not lose spells (and Armor is an important spell) and 10 from Will which lowers your spells per day for the benefit of getting some swordsmanship.
That sounds like good advice - be the "fighter/magic user" of the party... :-)
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

What was your armor roll?
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm What was your armor roll?
Whose armor roll?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by jemmus »

My ronin bushi in the other game is very envious of those fine swords! :) He rolled Inferior and couldn't stand it, now he's about bankrupted himself upgrading to Average.

Yes, middle rank samurai is very likely of Taira or Minamoto bloodline. Low rank, not as likely. I'll mention tension and resentment between the Taira and Minamoto is currently pretty high, and all PCs will be starting fairly deep into Minamoto territory....
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 pm
Whose armor roll?
What did you roll on the 2d3 for inherited armor? If you're being "multiclass" we should look at that more closely...

Edit to add:
I tried crunching numbers to see if there were interesting balance points. (In all scenarios you might as well have Wits 21 and put the last two points to better use elsewhere.) If you get up to 15 speed, you're a good swordsman with a little wizardry. If you are closer to how you're built, you're a decent wizard with swords he may or may not be able to use. If you get to Strength of 10, Speed 5, Will 30, you're a little of each, like two half-classes which will improve with time if you live.

Rules to know:
  • If you lower your strength to 5-7, you take a -1 to damage.
  • If you don't have the minimum strength for a weapon, you lower its damage die size and take the difference between strength and minimum as a BCS penalty.
  • Your Omnipresent Blade spell conjures a katana that ignores weight rules and attacks with your magic skill (and counts as a magic weapon for harming spirits).
  • Speed determines how often you can take actions and Deftness controls initiative (permanently) - both are sacrifices for a dual-class Shugenja. Is it important to go early? To late but hit twice? To go late, hit once, but have more spells?
So... If you got to Strength 10:
You have the minimum for a Wakizashi. It therefore does 1d6 damage +3 for masterwork (1d6+3, same as a Good Katana). Assuming you have a BCS of 10, it would go up to 13.
You are below minimum for the Katana. It therefore lowers from 1d6 to 1d3, doing 1d3+2+3 for masterwork (1d3+5, averaging slightly more than an Average Katana). You would take -5+3=-2 for a BCS of 8.
Your magic blade would use your Magic score for BCS (probably 11) and do full damage as a Katana for 1d6+2.

If you keep your strength at 7, it isn't worth carrying the two masterwork blades except for status and social reasons.
Wakizashi would be 1d3+2 damage, BCS 10. Katana would be 1d3+4, BCS 5. (Magic blade still BCS 11, 1d6+2 damage)
(For comparison, my Samurai-caste shugenja in the other game has a lockbox on her horse where she will keep her family's armor and swords safe, keeping her from utterly hurting herself with them. She wears the swords for social reasons during civilized town roleplay.)

For armor, if you rolled AC3 armor, you could wear it and hold the Katana or Wakizashi and be unencumbered with a Strength 10. (You also would have the appearance of a warrior, but not so much so as to arrouse suspicion on the roads.) You could then cast your Armor of Heaven spell to add your level to your AC. (It's also worth noting that anyone using a Bugei that is a Bonus Skill ALSO adds their level to their AC, which applies to your Shugenja when using the magic blade spell but not with the real swords.)

If your armor bumps you into Light Encumbrance, it lowers Deftness and Speed by 25% and then also -1 BCS. If you set your Deftness and Speed to allow for that without dropping your modified score in either attribute below 5, you could have decent armor class with minimal penalty.

Bottom Line: Lots of interesting trade-offs -- he could be good at one thing at the start, or mediocre at two things. But the most important thing is the story you WANT to tell, which can be very interesting with your high ranked guy finding himself (compitent/incompitent) among our motley band.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 am
ffilz wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 pm
Whose armor roll?
What did you roll on the 2d3 for inherited armor? If you're being "multiclass" we should look at that more closely...
Oh, I think you're referring to spanningtree's character... My character is merchant class so no inherited armor or weapons... My character will be a Shinto Gakusho who is strong enough to reasonably use his bo.

What are the things that make 21 WT worthwhile? If it really makes a difference, I should trade a point of WL to get 21 WT...
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

Here is my in-progress character sheet:

https ://drive.google.com/file/d/1c2f8mBqXOlVLvxuyQNEZanvkTibVr0aO/view?usp=sharing

I'm not sure where on that the +level for bonus skills is computed.

Oh, and one more question, I didn't understand the chance of having a work horse, not that i really need one.

Did some work on purchasing equipment

Still need to pick a Yoga and fill out all the magic stuff.

Also, need to fill in all the bonus skills.

Updated character sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eGfG32 ... sp=sharing

I've also invited the GM and Marrullus to edit so rather than making new copies of the sheet, they can just go in and work magic (sometimes it's easiest for GM to go in and make a change... I like being able to do that as GM, so I'm happy as a player to give my GM the power).
Last edited by ffilz on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 am Oh, I think you're referring to spanningtree's character...
Oh, sorry! You are absolutely correct. That was all for Spanningtree.
ffilz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 am What are the things that make 21 WT worthwhile? If it really makes a difference, I should trade a point of WL to get 21 WT...
Shugenja choose a spell list and the Wit score determines how many and which spells they get from the list. So, Wit 21 is the minimum for him to get the Armor of Heaven spell, letting him add his level to his armor class.

As a Gakusho, you choose a Yoga and they are not leveled the same way. I'm not as familiar with the Yogas, but I don't see where Wit would place the same kind of firm requirements on you. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 am I'm not sure where on that the +level for bonus skills is computed.
Since you're modding off my sheet, I'll help clean it up for you and repost it back. :)
jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by jmacatty »

Regarding rounding: when playing in the past, we always rounded normally, unless the rules required rounding down. What are we doing in this game? It makes a big difference in how I generate my Bushi.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:09 pm
ffilz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 am I'm not sure where on that the +level for bonus skills is computed.
Since you're modding off my sheet, I'll help clean it up for you and repost it back. :)
You need to roll 1d3 for class hit points and replace the "6" in cell I10. (Hit points are your health score plus this class roll.) Your current hit points in cell H10 then matches the calculated total.

You need to roll 1d10 for additional Power Points and replace the "5" in cell H68. (Your power points there are Will+Level+1d10)

Pick a Yoga power on page 35 and add it to row A52.

You missed the Commerce skill, but otherwise your skill picks look right. I added and sorted. The Bonus Skill effect of adding your level is added within the BCS calculation for the skills it applies to (which for you, is all of them).

For a workhorse, you have a percentage chance equal to your initial On. So, roll [1d100] and hope for a 1 or 2. :) Otherwise, you need to decide what temple you stored your porter'sbox and strongbox at because there's no what you can carry it. ;) For equipment, you don't have any food, water, or light, which might be a factor. Remember to be mindful of your encumberance weights.

Here's the character sheet all fixed up for you as a Gakusho. Save it back to your computer and back to your own drive. :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wkeX_6 ... sp=sharing
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

jmacatty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:05 pm Regarding rounding: when playing in the past, we always rounded normally, unless the rules required rounding down. What are we doing in this game? It makes a big difference in how I generate my Bushi.
A huge difference. That's what I did. It says all BCS round down, but I assume normal rounding unless otherwise indicated. I included rounding functions accordingly in most of my equations.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Enoch »

Yeah, there are specific places where it says to round down or round to the nearest tenth, etc. I'm assuming that when it doesn't specify, you round to the nearest whole number.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by jemmus »

It's a real boon having Marullus here as our rules guru. :) How's the character sheet working? Are the calculations accurate?

If the rules don't specify rounding down, let's round to the nearest whole number. 0.5 rounds up.
PCs

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Enoch »

Quick question: What climbing benefit does the kyoketsu-shoge provide a ninja? The description of the kyoketsu-shoge says "a ninja may use this weapon as a grappling hook." However, there are no further mentions of grappling hooks (other than to note that the kawa-naga is basically a grappling hook used as an improvised weapon).

I looked through the section on Ninja Gimmicks, and found 2 that might be useful in adjudicating this:
  • the Climbing Pole is probably the most useful; it turns Steep Climbs into Easy Climbs, and increases climbing speed on Easy Climbs.
  • the other is the Nekode, which provide a flat +3 to Climbing BCS.
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by spanningtree »

jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm It's a real boon having Marullus here as our rules guru. :) How's the character sheet working? Are the calculations accurate?
I totally agree. I have decided to move away from a mage and go for a Bushi as well. I hope to post the corrected sheet today.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by jemmus »

Marullus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:29 pm Given the setting details elucidated above, I adjusted to take my character out of the Kyoto temple and instead build him as local to our starting region as a Low Ronin, not temple-Sohei. His family was minor Buke with responsibilities over sparsely-populated mountains and their shrines -- their stripping was likely an afterthought by the conquering Minamoto. Knowledge of the mountains translates into hunting down criminals trying to flee there, still executing their duty for the new Daiymo (but as Ronin, without the honor), but also connected to the Heimin local woodcutters and shrine clergy with whom they still have a legacy of respect. Kentaro's personal penchant for folklore (an added non-canon skill, but hopefully fitting our "monsters in the hills" storyline!), and zen in the joy of music leave him with some respect in the Heimin community as a quintessential local, in addition to being the closest thing to a Buke protector that they might have...

Togakushi no Kentaro ("the Strong Thick Son")
Born to a Low Ronin family, displaced from their place of honor as the Samurai of Mount Togakushi after the Minamoto defeated and replaced the Daiymo his family served. Their honor was broken and their lands disbursed as spoils to the Minamoto's loyal families.
Genyo was born proud, taught the honor of his grandfather, (Togakushi no Daisuke "the Great Help"), and the duties of his father, (Togakushi no Katashi "the Hard one". He trained at the hand of his father who made ends meet by tracking down offenders for greater families, and bears no love for the Minamoto and little more for the Taira. He watched his father struggle and when he recently died, took up his father's no-dachi and function to serve the greater families and survive. To gain honor for service, his father served as madoguchi to Okinawa no Ryō, a Buddhist who visited the Togakushi Shrines for seven years, hosted in young Kentaro's home. His influence balanced the father's severity with his buddhist nature, love of music, and fascination with every tale of the rich local folklore. He gifted the boy Kentaro his Samisen when he returned to his native land.
Kentaro is skilled in three areas: His grandfather's legacy as a Buke [sword, bow, and horse] for which he bears his heavy armor and dai-sho; his father's hard life as a bounty-catcher for greater families [Sumai, Hojojutsu, and Tracking] for which he bears his father's poweful No-Dachi; and his passion for music which he uses to provide entertainment and convey local folklore traditions (a passion from his Buddhist mentor for which he himself has mediocre skill) [Musical Instrument, Folkore, Court Dance, Popular Dance], for which he carries the Samisen.

Character Sheet

For those who find it helpful, my sheets have a lot of updated equations: calculation of Zanshin, a toggle to incorporate encumbrance, etc. You can borrow them if you like.

Photo from the Togakushi Shrine...
Thanks for the deluxe refinements to the character sheet and for sharing with us. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjKuQA ... bDSCf/view And great backstory!
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by jemmus »

Enoch wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:17 pm Quick question: What climbing benefit does the kyoketsu-shoge provide a ninja? The description of the kyoketsu-shoge says "a ninja may use this weapon as a grappling hook." However, there are no further mentions of grappling hooks (other than to note that the kawa-naga is basically a grappling hook used as an improvised weapon).

I looked through the section on Ninja Gimmicks, and found 2 that might be useful in adjudicating this:
  • the Climbing Pole is probably the most useful; it turns Steep Climbs into Easy Climbs, and increases climbing speed on Easy Climbs.
Let's say that kyoketsu-shoge add a flat +2 to Climbing BCS. It's not as specialized for climbing as either a Climbing Pole or Nekode, and it's also a more powerful weapon.

Kusari-jutsu
The Ninja may use this Bugei to fight with the deadly Kyotetsushoge, a lethal blade-and-rope combination. When using the Kyutetsu-shoge, the Ninja automatically has the use of the Okuden
called The Returning Hurl. (1056.2)

Kyotetsu-shoge
The Kyotetsu-shoge is a peculiar flexible weapon of the Ninja. One end consists of a double-edged knife that is enhanced with a sharpened, curving hook. At the other end of a rope. usually made of
the hair of a woman or horse, is a metal ring. Besides all the attacks possible with similar flexible weapons, a Ninja may use this weapon as a grappling hook. A Ninja using this weapon normally uses his full Kusari-jutsu score. (1104.0)
PCs

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by spanningtree »

I think I am good to go other than a background and similar accoutrements. What are the bonuses for his swords and where would that be factored in on the sheet?

Could I ask for a critique? Many thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Enoch »

jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm
Enoch wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:17 pm Quick question: What climbing benefit does the kyoketsu-shoge provide a ninja? The description of the kyoketsu-shoge says "a ninja may use this weapon as a grappling hook." However, there are no further mentions of grappling hooks (other than to note that the kawa-naga is basically a grappling hook used as an improvised weapon).

Let's say that kyoketsu-shoge add a flat +2 to Climbing BCS. It's not as specialized for climbing as either a Climbing Pole or Nekode, and it's also a more powerful weapon.

Kusari-jutsu
The Ninja may use this Bugei to fight with the deadly Kyotetsushoge, a lethal blade-and-rope combination. When using the Kyutetsu-shoge, the Ninja automatically has the use of the Okuden
called The Returning Hurl. (1056.2)

Kyotetsu-shoge
The Kyotetsu-shoge is a peculiar flexible weapon of the Ninja. One end consists of a double-edged knife that is enhanced with a sharpened, curving hook. At the other end of a rope. usually made of
the hair of a woman or horse, is a metal ring. Besides all the attacks possible with similar flexible weapons, a Ninja may use this weapon as a grappling hook. A Ninja using this weapon normally uses his full Kusari-jutsu score. (1104.0)
Works for me, and protects the niche for the various climbing equipment!

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”