The Singularity (OOC)

Grognardsw
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Singularity (OOC)

#21 Post by Rex »

Work in progress is posted. Genetically engineered badger. How are we doing HP?

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by DexterWard »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 am Work in progress is posted. Genetically engineered badger. How are we doing HP?
Wow! That was actually in my list of potentials Rex!!!

:lol:

I almost included it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Great minds think alike.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Grognardsw »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 am Work in progress is posted. Genetically engineered badger. How are we doing HP?
HP, on p. 5, is for mutants or aliens 1d6 per Con. point, for humans 1d8 per Con point. Robots/majority cybernetic beings/androids are handled via house rule. Speaking of aliens, they are simply different races who can have bodily or mental differences/powers that follow the same rules approach as mutations.

So one can get a lot of hit points, great for survivability, though so does everyone else :)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

DW, re: edited post #20, those are good ideas. I’m leaning toward #1 because it could lead to or have elements of #2 and #4. Not that your adventure would move on those rails per se, but rather have elements of such and reflect the those themes.

The modern art interpretation of Buck Rogers in those pictures is cool in a retro-future digital way. So many SF themes were established by Buck Rogers in 1929 and Flash Gordon in ‘34, unrealized today. They were Lucas’ #1 inspiration for Star Wars.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

I saw the original Flash Gordan serials one summer day/evening at the local theater with my Dad, great memories. They ran every episode from start to finish.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by DexterWard »

Saros A. Holmes
  • Saros: comes from the term 'saros cycle" a period in which eclipses repeat themselves
  • Aelius: Roman family name meaning Sun
  • Holmes: The comet Holmes was once the largest object in the solar system
1) Race/profession: Human - No enhancements or mutations - Planetary Geologist
2) Preferred setting/planet/time (or I can decide): Exploration/Journey, Golden Age SciFi
  • According to historian Adam Roberts, "the phrase Golden Age valorises a particular sort of writing: 'Hard SF', linear narratives, heroes solving problems or countering threats in a space-opera or technological-adventure idiom."
3) Solo or be paired with someone: Solo
4) Some back story. More can be developed in game by both us:
Seros, estranged son of a Terran geologist (last of a dying breed), shortly after his planetary geology education came to an end, set out to see what the dark void of space had to offer. His mother, loving and supportive, both sad and proud. His first stop Earth’s Moonbase; second, Titan. From there he hired on with countless exploratory crews: Identifying natural resources on asteroids in the Belt; Planetary surveys; Extrasolar exploratory missions. Once he felt comfortable with his skills as a Planetary Geologist, he hired on with a small crew on an exploratory mission that would take the crew on a one-way mission beyond the stars.That’s where things went sideways...

Original plot/background idea:
Encounters an alien bacteria on a large asteroid being mined for osmium, ruthenium and rhodium.
Real World Inspiration:
Radioactive Man: Deinococcus radiodurans
  • Nicknamed “Conan the Bacterium.” This is one tough microbe.It can survive cold, dehydration, vacuum, and acid, and therefore is known as a polyextremophile. It holds the title of "most radiation-resistant lifeform". Not only can it can withstand an amount of gamma radiation that would kill a human, it can handle 3,000 times that amount. The real problem with radiation is that it rips apart DNA.
  • It uses oxygen to derive energy from organic compounds in its environment.
  • D. radiodurans is capable of withstanding an acute dose of 5,000 grays (Gy), or 500,000 rad, of ionizing radiation with almost no loss of viability
  • Scientists reported that bacteria from Earth, particularly Deinococcus radiodurans bacteria, were found to survive for three years in outer space, based on studies conducted on the International Space Station (ISS). These findings support the notion of panspermia, the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed in various ways, including space dust, meteoroids, asteroids, comets, planetoids, or contaminated spacecraft. In October 2020, related studies after one year of exposure outside the ISS were reported.

Character Depiction:
Buck_Rogers.jpg
Buck_Rogers.jpg (393.47 KiB) Viewed 330 times
I will start on my charsheet later tonight :D

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

admittedly started my character sheet posted it but unsure how to proceed to fill out since some choices are not in the "guidelines" would Guy go with Human HP or Robot? He is part of both but only his arms are part of one.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Grognardsw »

DW, those ideas look great.

Greywolf, given it's just Guy's arm (or arms?) that are cybernetic, go with human for HP determination.

Arm stats: Str. 18 for arm/hand activities (different from your overall Str. as listed), punch is 1d4+ Str. bonus (which is +1 point for every point over 15, thus your total is +3), resistant to heat and cold. There are no pain receptors in the arms, which can be good or bad. There are some sensors and little lights/sounds that go off in warning if the arms are damaged or in danger zone (e.g. too hot). Assume you have a little tool kit to handle minor fixes on the road.

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I think I'm decided left arm only is cybernetic. Right is not. Hmm wow if i rolled that right 17 Con = 17 1d8 for a total of 70 HP? Holy moly.

BTW re-rolled that 8 for INT and got 8 again..... :roll: INT Re-roll [4d6c1]=8

Hmm equipment this is confusing. Some of the stuff in the table says RANK that doesn't help if I am trying to buy with money to start out....guess i am a weaponless bounty hunter...yikes... 110 "money" to start. Most all good weapons are super expensive unless I am looking in the wrong place the pdf is a wee confusing.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Grognardsw »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:12 am I think I'm decided left arm only is cybernetic. Right is not. Hmm wow if i rolled that right 17 Con = 17 1d8 for a total of 70 HP? Holy moly.

BTW re-rolled that 8 for INT and got 8 again..... :roll: INT Re-roll [4d6c1]=8

Hmm equipment this is confusing. Some of the stuff in the table says RANK that doesn't help if I am trying to buy with money to start out....guess i am a weaponless bounty hunter...yikes... 110 "money" to start. Most all good weapons are super expensive unless I am looking in the wrong place the pdf is a wee confusing.
Greywolf, yes that’s right HP runs high. You’ll need it. ;)

On Int., just make it 9.

Per my earlier post #13, because you are experienced people you can multiply the money rolled by five. So the 110 is 550.

Bluehorse, it looks like your character sheet is all set. I’ll start your thread up Tuesday.

Imladir
Scout
Scout

#32 Post by Imladir »

Hey everyone.

I've seen the ad on giantitp and decided to join you guys :)

I'll be playing on Pern too (I've been wanting to play something there for quite a while now, so when I saw two of you talking about it I couldn't resist).
My character will be a native though.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Imladir! Looks like you’ve already been added to the game. Just an FYI your first two posts have to be approved, it’s an anti-spam thing. After that there’ll be no delay in posting.
Be well and be welcome!
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Imladir
Scout
Scout

#34 Post by Imladir »

Yep I noticed that, thanks!

I figure it's the same for the PMs?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by rredmond »

Yup! You should be fine now. :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Imladir!

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by DexterWard »

Hello and Welcome Imladir

GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Welcome to the game Imladir!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Grognardsw »

Welcome Imladir!

When the three characters are finished I’ll start the story thread.

Bluehorse, your thread is up - The Apogee of Memory - viewtopic.php?p=530810#p530810

Thanks!

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”