IX. The Witch Towner - Third Trip

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IX. The Witch Towner - Third Trip

#181 Post by AleBelly »

"You do look pitiful" Sylvan says to Sparrow matter-of-factly. "I need my wingman for when I return to town!"

While the others are looking at bars and ghoul parts, he walks slowly over to the dark-skinned human, places his hands on him and says softly several times "ceangal na díobhalacha".
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#182 Post by dmw71 »

Crap. The slots are only a few inches wide; they're about a foot deep.

---

Ciar examines the two identical slots on opposite sides of the cage first. Each is approximately a few inches long, and upon closer inspection, are roughly a foot deep. The opening to the slots are roughly oval-shaped, coming to a rough point at the top and bottom, but arching out in a semi-circle from point-to-point.
The slot looks something like this: ()
Moving on to the cage, Ciar notices that the bars to the cage go directly into the floor, and detects an ever-so-slight gap around bars at the floor level.

The bars appear to go directly into the ceiling of the chamber as well, but the ceiling is approximately ten-feet high and the halfling will need a boost in order to get a closer look. Assuming the halfling is assisted in checking out the top end of the cage, he confirms that the bars to drive right through the ceiling. It appears the stone in the ceiling, at the point where the bars would penetrate the stone, appear chipped away at parts.

Unlike on the floor, where the gap between the floor and the bar is slight, the gap on the ceiling is rougher, more obvious.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#183 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow perks up a bit.

Ohh yes, that feels good. Thanks friend, I really needed that. I'm feeling much better now!

He pats Sylvan hard on the back to show off his new vim and vigor. He then takes his evelit torch and peers into the hole a bit further.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by Alethan »

Ciar sits down for a moment and thinks, eyes darting between the two openings in the floor.

Then he says, "Ahhhh..." and chuckles quietly to himself as he removes his pack. Retrieving the iron box he and Fulp found in the centipede rubble, he removes the two daggers. He drops one dagger in one of the slots, then drops the other into the other slot and stands back.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#185 Post by dmw71 »

Inspired by a idea he has, Ciar removes his pack and retrieves the iron box containing the pair of mithral daggers, each with a strange series of notches carved into the flat of its blade. As he inserts the first dagger, a clicking sound is heard as each notch is reached. Stopping once the first dagger reaches its cross-guard, he repeats the process with the second mithral blade.

Once the last click is heard, and the second dagger is fully inserted, a mechanical noise is heard and the solid steel bars surrounding the treasury cage lower themselves completely into the ground, stopping only once the top of the bar is level with the floor.

The seven chests are now exposed, and closer examination reveals that they are all locked.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Storm11 »

"Good thinking Ciar, be wary. One of these are bound to be trapped I fear. " the gnome will remain watching the party's escape as the halfling works, wary for other intruders from either the hole or the exit.
Last edited by Storm11 on Thu May 07, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#187 Post by Alethan »

Ciar first retrieves the key they found suspended in the air to see if it appears to have the right size and shape for the locks on the chest.

Then he asks, "Did someone mention a having a spell that detects traps? Now might be a good time to use it..."

If nobody has such a spell prepared, Ciar will take the time to examine each chest for traps.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#188 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Should we see if the chests can be moved away from each other before opening one? If there is a magical trap set, we don't want to set off a chain reaction.

Sparrow will help pull a chest if Ciar agrees with the idea.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by onlyme »

Fulp responds,

I do not know much about setting nor disarming traps, I'm afraid. Always wanted to learn though. However, uhh, dont think I should attempt it now. He looks around for someone who can examine the chests themselves.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by Alethan »

"Moving them could be precisely what sets off a trap," Ciar says quietly while examining the first one.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by AleBelly »

"If the plan is to move a chest, best to tie a rope around it and move it from a distance" says Sylvan distractedly, sniffing his fingers.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#192 Post by Alethan »

AleBelly wrote:"If the plan is to move a chest, best to tie a rope around it and move it from a distance" says Sylvan distractedly, sniffing his fingers.
Ciar replies, "Well, my first plan was for you to cast your spell to detect any traps. You're the one who said you had such a thing when I was going to head down that hallway to the contraption. If you still have access to such a spell, I say now is a great time to use it. If not, then my plan is to examine the chests before anyone tries to lasso them and pull them across the room."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by AleBelly »

"My spell can detect pits and snares to catch animals, but I'm afraid it's of little use in these situations. Compliments on a clever solution to removing the bars, though." Sylvan thinks for a moment. "If you find no traps on these locks, I'm happy to share the burden of opening them. I can fend off poison pretty well in case you miss a needle or two."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#194 Post by Alethan »

"Ah, I understand." Ciar shrugs, "We'll just see how it goes..."

He examines the first chest for traps. Then moves on to the second, and so on, until they have all been examined.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by onlyme »

Meanwhile...
Fulp will examine the perimeter of the room, looking for openings and or trying to determine the rubble impact (could it be moved, more collapse, etc.)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#196 Post by dmw71 »

After learning Sylvan's spell won't be effective against the traps likely to be found on a chest, Ciar begins to examine them without moving them.

He quickly learns that neither key he possess will fit the lock securring the chests, but, upon concluding his examinations, doesn't believe they are trapped.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#197 Post by Alethan »

Frowning, Ciar reaches into his pack and retrieves a small rolled up bundle. Kneeling down in front of the far left chest (when facing them from the middle of the room), he begins working on the lock...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#198 Post by dmw71 »

Ciar begins to work on the first of seven black iron chests, and after a relatively short amount of time, he hears the sound of a lock clicking open.
-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by onlyme »

Fulp stops what he was doing and watches intently to see what might be in the chests.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#200 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:Ciar begins to work on the first of seven black iron chests, and after a relatively short amount of time, he hears the sound of a lock clicking open.
Standing to one side of the chest, and motioning everyone away from the front of it, Ciar holds his breath and uses his short sword to lift open the lid of the chest

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”