Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginnings

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Escape from the Prison World - Dark Beginning

#161 Post by Zhym »

Elethil:
Elethil, already invisible thanks to Rand and freshly Reduced by the scroll, makes his way to the gallows through the crowd, following the parting made for Fenrin if possible.

I'm not clear on how the gallows works. If Elethil unties the rock, does that stop the gallows from working? Would Matkinsai fall all the way through the platform, landing underneath, right by the sewer entrance?
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:Elethil:
Elethil, already invisible thanks to Rand and freshly Reduced by the scroll, makes his way to the gallows through the crowd, following the parting made for Fenrin if possible.

I'm not clear on how the gallows works. If Elethil unties the rock, does that stop the gallows from working? Would Matkinsai fall all the way through the platform, landing underneath, right by the sewer entrance?
The gallows in this event are built for a suspension hanging, not the stereotypical drop to one's death that you would expect. This is something that Joffrey wouldn't have known since he only saw the initial set up of the gallows, hence his incomplete report of the event. Seeing it now in person, it is clear that whoever is pulling the strings here wants to see Matkinsai suffer. By cutting the rope keeping the huge rock bound to the gallows, the rock will fall and take the rope with it. In turn, the victim will rise up with the noose and die from strangulation and/or the compression of the arteries in the neck. The scene would be dramatic, naturally, and the crowd would eat it up. In a suspension hanging, only the rock falls, as the victim rises.

The platform, once you get there, will be found to be hastily put together, and can be easily dismantled with some leverage of planks. The sewer entrance will be right underneath.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Zhym »

Sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out how this gallows works. Is the huge rock suspended in the air by the rope? Are there two ropes attached to the rock: one holding it to the gallows, the other looped through the gallows and ending in a noose on the other side? If so, then would Elethil be able to stop the hanging by cutting the other rope, the one between the rock and the noose?

But it also sounds like there's no trapdoor, right? So Elethil could cut Matkinsai loose then use his strength to clear the platform from the sewer entrance?
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:
Sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out how this gallows works. Is the huge rock suspended in the air by the rope? Are there two ropes attached to the rock: one holding it to the gallows, the other looped through the gallows and ending in a noose on the other side? If so, then would Elethil be able to stop the hanging by cutting the other rope, the one between the rock and the noose?

But it also sounds like there's no trapdoor, right? So Elethil could cut Matkinsai loose then use his strength to clear the platform from the sewer entrance?
You have the basic idea of how it works. The rock is held in place by two sets of rope. One set anchors it to the gallows, the other is where the noose connects to. When the anchor rope is cut, the rock falls and drags the other rope up. The latter part would have to be timed well with everything else, but yes, technically you should be able to, assuming you have initiative throughout the whole process. A strength check will also be needed to break the planks without drawing too much attention.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

I'm assuming that with Elethil invisible, he'll get one action for free as long as no one discovers him first. Is that correct? If so, he could (1) cut the hanging rope loose, (2) try to cut the rope from Matkinsai's neck (basically the same as (1) in effect), (3) try to smash the gallows platform (does Elethil have any idea what the effect of doing this would be?), or (4) attack Matkinsai (which would be going rather off-script). Does that sum things up reasonably well?
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:
I'm assuming that with Elethil invisible, he'll get one action for free as long as no one discovers him first. Is that correct? If so, he could (1) cut the hanging rope loose, (2) try to cut the rope from Matkinsai's neck (basically the same as (1) in effect), (3) try to smash the gallows platform (does Elethil have any idea what the effect of doing this would be?), or (4) attack Matkinsai (which would be going rather off-script). Does that sum things up reasonably well?
Those are all certainly viable options, and yes, you do get one turn free, assuming no one catches on to your invisible state.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Zhym »

Elethil:
Invisible Elethil considers his options. He quickly decides to use the rickety gallows platform to his advantage. With luck, it might even look like the hastily-built platform collapsed on its own from too much weight. He's not sure what that will do to Matkinsai, but he hopes the mage will last long enough to deal with that issue when it comes up.

He reduces himself. Barely three feet tall, he wends his way through the throng until he reaches the base of the platform. There, he dismisses the reduce spell and puts his back into the platform with all his might, trying to bring it crashing down.

I'm not sure whether this is a minor or major feat, so here's a roll for both:

Minor test (1-5): [1d6] = 2. Major test (1-40): [1d100] = 63.

Here's hoping the platform is rickety enough to make this a minor test. Or give him a bonus on his major test. :)
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:Elethil:
Invisible Elethil considers his options. He quickly decides to use the rickety gallows platform to his advantage. With luck, it might even look like the hastily-built platform collapsed on its own from too much weight. He's not sure what that will do to Matkinsai, but he hopes the mage will last long enough to deal with that issue when it comes up.

He reduces himself. Barely three feet tall, he wends his way through the throng until he reaches the base of the platform. There, he dismisses the reduce spell and puts his back into the platform with all his might, trying to bring it crashing down.

I'm not sure whether this is a minor or major feat, so here's a roll for both:

Minor test (1-5): [1d6] = 2. Major test (1-40): [1d100] = 63.

Here's hoping the platform is rickety enough to make this a minor test. Or give him a bonus on his major test. :)
For Elithil and Rand
Considering the hastily built condition of the platform, a minor test with your character's strength will break it down, albeit not as cleanly. It will take two full turns to pull it off.

With the platform leaning into an odd angle, on the verge of collapse, the crowds of people who are watching start get excited, not knowing what is going on. Most of them, not being able to see Elithil, thinks that the platform is giving way under the added weight of the executioner. They all shout, urging the execution to take place quickly, for fear of the gallows collapse ruining their event. Rand, however, should know what is going on right now. What does he do in this situation, and what did he tell the others to do if such an occurrence were to happen?

As this takes place, Fenrin stops in his swift stride and slows to a walk as he approaches the leaning platform. A strange occurrence to be sure, for he thought it would hold together. His face lights up for just a moment, as if an idea had flashed through is mind. He squints his eyes and seems to look directly at Elithil. He starts to mutter something as he approaches the platform, both hands still grasping his axe's handle firmly.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Zhym »

Sorry—I thought Fenrin was already on the platform. Part of the benefit of bringing it down is disrupting whatever Fenrin is doing. Elethil would have waited until Fenrin was on the platform before starting, or gone to the side of the platform opposite from Fenrin's approach so the platform would help hide him.

And doesn't 20 minutes to bring a platform down seem a bit extreme?
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Rukellian »

Zhym wrote:
Sorry—I thought Fenrin was already on the platform. Part of the benefit of bringing it down is disrupting whatever Fenrin is doing. Elethil would have waited until Fenrin was on the platform before starting, or gone to the side of the platform opposite from Fenrin's approach so the platform would help hide him.

And doesn't 20 minutes to bring a platform down seem a bit extreme?
20 minutes? Where did that come from? When I said only two rounds, I meant only two rounds, as if we were in combat. Does a round usually take 10 minutes? If so, then I apologize for the great misunderstanding. Would it be better if I said it would take two turns? Two segments?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Zhym »

You said "turns":
Rukellian wrote:Considering the hastily built condition of the platform, a minor test with your character's strength will break it down, albeit not as cleanly. It will take two full turns to pull it off.
Rounds make much more sense. :) Elethil would still try to get to the opposite side of the platform from Fenrin, though.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by onlyme »

(Sorry, I missed the last attack round)

Confident that the others can finish the last remaining enemy combatant, Whitsell continues his rest to minimize the chance of any wounds reopening unnecessarily.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn will parry if necessary but continues to bandage his wounds tightly.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Grognardsw »

We're still in the round in which this action applies:
Grognardsw wrote:Deceidon lunges at the faltering armored spirit. Every since he returned to his home world, Deceidon has felt out of sorts. Perhaps a side-effect of magic.

Sword Attack [1d20] = 8, damage s/m [1d8] = 6, damage L [1d12] = 6
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Rukellian »

Right, sorry for the delay. I sort of lost track for a moment there.

Flynn and Whitsell hold off from further battle as they let their wounds, freshly bound, rest and heal. Deceidon, not fairing as badly as the others, presses on the attack! Though he does not land a solid blow, his attack effectively keeps the morale up for everyone else engaged with the final foe, not allowing the enemy a chance to strike back. It is Hal, in the end, that brings the hollowed combatant down.

The room is filled with heavy breathing and gasps for breath as the guards brought in by Hal collapse in exhaustion, barely keeping themselves sitting upright as they rebind the wounds that opened during battle. Captain Hal nods approvingly towards his men and sheaves his blade, no longer seeing any more enemies in the area. He lets out a heavy sigh himself and surveys the area once more. "It would appear as if we were too late for these people. Fortunately, we saved them from a fate worse than death, being brought back from it through unholy means."

"What do we do now?" Pipes up the archer guard. He stands over some of the nobles near the throne and shakes his head. "The king is not here, and I would very much like to see him alive and safe."
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Rukellian »

I am waiting to see what Rand does in his current situation before I continue the events taking place outside in the city.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell suggests they carry on their search/escape as aggressively as they can, given his and Flynn's wounds.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Rand gives the signal for the mages to unleash the scroll of fogs, hopefully interrupting whatever Fenrin is about to do. Rand will then ready a spell as he makes his way closer to the platform and Fenrin...
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rukellian »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Rand gives the signal for the mages to unleash the scroll of fogs, hopefully interrupting whatever Fenrin is about to do. Rand will then ready a spell as he makes his way closer to the platform and Fenrin...
The scrolls are unfurled and the words are spoken. Fenrin's attention quickly diverts to the crowd as this occurs, pausing midway through his incantation. With widened eyes he watches as clouds of fog start to pour forth into the area, blurring the guards, the people, the platform... He clenches his teeth and looks towards the direction of where the platform was. He rushes his pace as he hears the creaking and groaning of wooden supports bending and snapping. "Bound and gagged, you are STILL causing me trouble! Damn you to hell!!" shouts Fenrin as he steps onto the now slanted platform. "Wait... unless... no, NO they were taken care of!"

Fenrin, a skilled magic user himself, is quick to pick up on the sources of the fog and the distances they are being cast from. They overlapped the areas of effect well, cancelling just one source out will only solve part of the problem. Damn that Matkinsai, he is still interfering with my plans! I should of eliminated those upstarts when I had the chance! "I will at least see who it is that shall taste this axe of mine! Unveil yourself!" With a silent roar, he extends his fist out and utters an ancient word of power; the ring on his finger, in response, glows and bursts forth in a flash of light!

The crowds gathered for the execution become very uneasy about the sudden change in weather, some of them showing signs of dangerous fright. The guards ready themselves, for what, they are not quite sure. Fortunately for them all, the events taking place on the platform are being concealed by the now thick fog, the sounds from within muffled by the rising murmurs of crowds.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, let us search," says Deceidon to the others in the throne room.

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”