07. Attack of the Scaly Things

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: 07. Attack of the Scaly Things

#141 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:Grimnail discovers he is out of healing supplies and the bandage he pulled out of his bag is dirty and useless.
"Luthic curse me and scratch me!" He spits out like vile and tosses his dirty bag to the ground in disgust. He then circles angrily still holding his wound and looks to the north where the fallen townsfolk are likely to be wearing cloth good enough for bandages.
Grimnail will heal his automatic 1 hit point once he begins administering first aid upon himself; I simply didn't award it yet because I haven't posted it (and don't have a link to reference the change). You can go ahead and add it now, though. ;)
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Post Battle

#142 Post by dmw71 »

In the buildings surrounding the immediate area, locals slowly begin peering out their windows now that the sounds of battle have subsided. The troglodyte threat has been averted… at least for now. Ferrell is quick to throw open her doors. “In here, y’all.” she says, offering her establishment as a safe haven. “When yer ready.” she finishes as the group begins performing their post-battle activities.

Gwillt watches the westward-bound pair of retreating trogs for a short while. Rightfully confident he and Alordan will have no difficulty tracking them later, he looks to join Epsilon and others tend to the wounded and dead, hoping some might be saved. Epsilon shakes his head sadly as he moves from the fallen form of one local to another; ultimately, all are beyond hope of being saved.

Gwillt and Shannigans look to recover their expended arrows. With an excited, "Hey!, I found one!" the halfling does manage to successfully recover one arrow that can be re-used, while Gwilt is only able to salvage the arrow heads from his unusable arrows for future use (please update your character sheets if you haven't already done so).

---

"My name is Kaltar, who might you be?" says the cleric; the first to engage the impressive warrior to the south. The enraged berserker, still fueled by adrenaline, turns to see a mace-wielding human run up to him. Using a javelin recovered from one of the troglodytes he killed earlier, he brushes the humans’ mace to the side, still unsure whether friend or foe. Dropping the javelin to hold an olive hand over his bleeding wound, he staggers back and points his scimitar at the man. "The lizards teeth did their work well. Will you be finishin what it started? " he protests.

"Err, my name is Kaltar. We were fighting the same enemy - look" he sweeps his arm around to the north indicating his friends and the rest of the battle. "You didn't notice us fighting?" he asks, allowing his confusion to remain plain on his face. His breathing becoming more normal, the olive-skinned man eyes the activities to the north, then he eyes the path of the departing lizards and lowers his steel. "Men'r not always content with my company. Fighting same foe or no." He gradually senses his blood lust fading and nods to the human, sheathing his sword over his back. "Grimnail." he huffs, indicating his self. "I have a bag with bandages near yonder house. I need ta fetch it." He stands straight still gripping his wound. "Then we can have words if you will." he says, eyeing the cleric over his shoulder as he starts away... only to witness the cleric following him. "Well met, Grimnail" the holy man says, stowing his mace in his belt. "I think we should check the bodies of the lizards for clues as to their reasons for attacking this town. Will you permit me to start with these ones you have dispatched?" he asks. "Lizards attack for only one of two reasons." he grunts poking at his wounds. "Theyz hungry or deez farmers been wanderin too close to der lands. But do wit dem what yous wants. I care not." With that, the barbarian recovers his pack from the ledge of the building and removes some gauze for his wounds (+1 hit point).

---

Ewell sees the party looking for arrows and meeting the strange looking, obviously uncivilized man south of the action. But, he figures that there will be time for that later. He turns toward Theora instead, very impressed with her survival skills. "Miss, I am humbly sorry I could not defeat these things soon enough to save your brothers. If there is anything I can do to ease your pain, please ask it. As he turns, with the intention of collecting the honorable local dead, so they are not left to rot with the evil trogs, Theora completely loses her composure and wraps her arms around the brave knight as she begins sobbing uncontrollably.

---

More later tonight, I hope, but this should at least summarize the current situation. Feel free to continue to role play. I will detail what (if anything) is recovered from the fallen troglodyte bodies soon.
-- Project --

-- DM --
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by saalaria »

Hearing Strom approach:
"Thanks old friend, I think I am getting the hang of this mace now. Much more confident than I was before. I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't have joined your order and given you a run for your money!" He smiles at the Paladin.
"Luckily for you I didn't as who would sort out your injuries."
He grasps his holy symbol and touches Strom's arm, intoning the necessary words:

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 8

And clearly has done well by his God!

He turns to Grimnail "Unfortunately I have no bandages but maybe my friends do." He indicates the rest of the group.

Once Kaltar has completed his search of the bodies, he will take what he finds North to join the rest of the group. Hopefully bringing the new arrival and Strom with him. He will then show the group what he has found.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Post Battle

#144 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: As he turns, with the intention of collecting the honorable local dead, so they are not left to rot with the evil trogs, Theora completely loses her composure and wraps her arms around the brave knight as she begins sobbing uncontrollably.
Who knew? A sure fire way to get a gal to fall for you is to fight a bunch of smelly trogs just badly enough for her brothers to get killed... Sure beats dinner and wine on a 16 year old cav's budget...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#145 Post by Stonjuz »

Still not completely trusting of the new arrival, the halfling again, darts to the coat-tails of the druid.
Mumbling under his breath so only the druid can hear, "Garth, he seems rather barbaric, huh, dontcha think, huh, doesnt he, huh?"
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: As he turns, with the intention of collecting the honorable local dead, so they are not left to rot with the evil trogs, Theora completely loses her composure and wraps her arms around the brave knight as she begins sobbing uncontrollably.

Ewell tries his best to console her. He has a soft spot for the fairer gender. But, he also knows that her father could be an important person in this town.

After all, he recollects the many times his tutors said, "Glory first comes small, or not at all." He now realizes what that means. Becoming a small-town hero isn't bad for a lad his age. He can get allies to boost his chance at court in a few years.

He fights back a grin and a grimace at the same time. That trog's lucky attack is finally starting to show its pain.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by tooleychris »

Grimnail manages to staunch the crimson flow from the still inflamed bite marks and caches a muddy mixture of blood and dirt over the wounds. Satisfied he will not bleed out he looks to the direction the lizards fled in and addresses those closest.
"Thems lizzies was surprised by yous strength. If theyz got friends near abouts, deys mighten be back wit help. If yous gots love fer deez farm folk you might be tellin dem ta git ready er leave. Ceptin yous go a huntin for'em lizzies. Take da fight ta dem an away from'ere.

He runs his hand over his sweaty head and pushes greasy dreadlocks off his face.
Any a yous know where deys be runnin off ta?"
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom feels relief as the healing magic flows through his body mending his wounds. "I need more practice and better armor" he thinks to himself.

Seeing the olive skinned warrior struggling to deal with the wounds he received Strom takes a step forward.

I am Strom, I believe you are called Grimnail. I have no bandage but I have some ability to help heal your wound, may I help you?
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#149 Post by Alethan »

If it hasn't already been done (or indicated), Gwillt will search the trog bodies nearest him for anything of value or noteworthy. After he is done...

"I think we need to move on those trogs as soon as we can. Alordan and I should be able to track them; with any luck, they will lead us back to the rest so we can end their terror on this town."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by wolfpack »

sadly Epsilon calls out

My friends help me gather the dead so i can perform proper last rites.

he will start dragging the bodies and lining them up.
tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by tooleychris »

Grim eyes Strom warily looking up and down the plated chainmailed paladin before saying:
"If yous got herbs er bandages, Grimnail make trade with coin. How yous help Grim besides? Yous no nursemaid me thinks.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#152 Post by dmw71 »

Kaltar grasps his holy symbol and touches Strom's arm, intoning the necessary words, nearly returning the holy knight to full strength. He then completes a near fruitless inspection of the troglodytes south of the stream while Grimnail manages to staunch the crimson flow from the still inflamed bite marks and caches a muddy mixture of blood and dirt over his wounds. Satisfied he will not bleed out he looks to the direction the lizards fled in and addresses Kaltar and Strom: "Thems lizzies was surprised by yous strength. If theyz got friends near abouts, deys mighten be back wit help. If yous gots love fer deez farm folk you might be tellin dem ta git ready er leave. Ceptin yous go a huntin for'em lizzies. Take da fight ta dem an away from'ere. He runs his hand over his sweaty head and pushes greasy dreadlocks off his face. Any a yous know where deys be runnin off ta?"

Seeing the olive-skinned warrior struggling to deal with the wounds he received, Strom takes a step forward. "I am Strom, I believe you are called Grimnail. I have no bandage but I have some ability to help heal your wound, may I help you?" Grim eyes Strom warily, looking up and down the plated chainmailed paladin before saying: "If yous got herbs er bandages, Grimnail make trade with coin. How yous help Grim besides? Yous no nursemaid me thinks."

---

As has been the case with most encounters so far, searching the bodies further north of the stream produces very little of value. Clearly, this raiding party didn't bother to concern themselves with carrying too many possessions.

Each troglodyte possessed a backpack containing food suitable for a reptile and assorted items of no use or value to adventurers. The backpacks might be salvageable, and their weapons (one longsword and eight javelins) could be of use, but a total of nine coins are found: 1 gold and 8 copper.

---

Ewell tries his best to console Theora. He has a soft spot for the fairer gender. But, he also knows that her father could be an important person in this town. After all, he recollects the many times his tutors said, "Glory first comes small, or not at all." He now realizes what that means. Becoming a small-town hero isn't bad for a lad his age. He can get allies to boost his chance at court in a few years. He fights back a grin and a grimace at the same time. That trog's lucky attack is finally starting to show its pain.

Still not completely trusting of the new arrival, the halfling again, darts to the coat-tails of the druid. Mumbling under his breath so only the druid can hear, "Garth, he seems rather barbaric, huh, dontcha think, huh, doesnt he, huh?"

All quickly becomes more serious.

"My friends, help me gather the dead so I can perform proper last rites." Epsilon states somberly as he begins moving the bodies and lining them up. Once the bodies of the fallen have been ceremonially presented to the afterlife, Gwilt offers: "I think we need to move on those trogs as soon as we can. Alordan and I should be able to track them; with any luck, they will lead us back to the rest so we can end their terror on this town."

----

At least for now, while Strom's offer to heal the barbarian is still playing out, I will keep the two groups apart with Kaltar, Strom and Grimnail to the south and everyone else to the north.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#153 Post by Stonjuz »

Committed to carrying his share of what adventuring parties do, Shannigans helps with the gathering of the dead.
"This is the way they do it all the time?"
Struggling with the weight, all the while he eyes the rangers, ready to give chase to the trogs at a moments notice, leaving the dead if need be, when (and if) the rangers take off.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#154 Post by Nuke66 »

Not really wanting to get into a philosophical discussion of religion, Garth helps the fallen villagers as much as he can.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by saalaria »

"Some of out friends have tracking skill so will be able to follow the Lizards, I must help with the fallen - will you come with us over yonder?". Kaltar points to the rest of the group. Once Strom and Grim are ready, we'll head over and Kaltar will introduce Grim to the group.
He will help with burying the fallen farmers and see if anyone needs healing.
He will then pick up his pack, assuming the chase will start.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by wolfpack »

Who looks worse off out of everyone? i have 1 spell left.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by onlyme »

wolfpack wrote:Who looks worse off out of everyone? i have 1 spell left.

I think everyone is in decent shape at the moment. Alordan seems to be the worst off his original number, currently 11 of 18. However, if you only have 1 left, and it is still morning... might need to save it in case we play a double header today.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: All quickly becomes more serious.

"My friends, help me gather the dead so I can perform proper last rites." Epsilon states somberly as he begins moving the bodies and lining them up. Once the bodies of the fallen have been ceremonially presented to the afterlife, Gwilt offers: "I think we need to move on those trogs as soon as we can. Alordan and I should be able to track them; with any luck, they will lead us back to the rest so we can end their terror on this town."
Ewell asks Theora if there is anything she prefers they do to the fallen bodies, in accordance to her beliefs. He continues, "If you desire it, I shall go with you to inform your parents of their loss. Noonan and Norian fought bravely, and deserve an honorable farewell.

Before tracking, I think we need to rally the townsfolks to be prepared for round2. Maybe the Goat's folks are more willing to assist, now.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom removes his gauntlets and steps towards Grimnail with his hands open palms up in a non threatening manner.

Allow me to examine your wound and I will use the blessings passed on to me to help heal your pain.

If Grimnail allows it, Strom will use his ability ti Lay Hands to heal him for 2 points.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by saalaria »

onlyme wrote:
wolfpack wrote:Who looks worse off out of everyone? i have 1 spell left.

I think everyone is in decent shape at the moment. Alordan seems to be the worst off his original number, currently 11 of 18. However, if you only have 1 left, and it is still morning... might need to save it in case we play a double header today.

I agree with Only. For the record I have 1 left too

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”