First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Garrotten

#1281 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Garrotten
Godsday, Mid Afternoon, Clear
Second Day After The Barons Murder

The Castle Dungeon

The newly arrived inquisitor stares closely at each of you when you answer, as if he is trying to determine if you are being truthful or not. Both of you notice this man is wearing a scabbard that looks rather familiar to you. Though the lighting isnt good in this stinky hallway, you are pretty sure that sword and scabbard belonged to Quicksilver Carling, the boisterous scallywag who you both traveled here with.

The man continues while the girl just watches from the shadows. "Indeed. Very well then. I will ask you another question. How well do you know this dwarf Redgrave, and his elven friend, Carling? Is it true that you are companions who traveled here together just a day or two ago? Be truthful, now."

With only a small candle to guide their way, the group cross the busy room for a better look at the only other door.

Luna and Ashley take stock in the varied items on the many shelves and tables as they pass, guessing that this place must be a wizards or alchemists lab. Though the table seems filled with eclectic equipment, none of it seems to have been used lately. A thin layer of dust goes along with the smell of a very old fire in the fireplace on the north wall.

At the much sturdier, iron bound door across the room, Lestadt gets to work with his toolkit. Hearing nothing from beyond the thick wooden portal, he inspects the door and doorway for any traps, finding none. Pulling out his picks, the thief smirks in the candlelight when he hears the satisfying click of the tumblers falling into place inside the lock. Pushing the freshly popped door open for a stealthy look beyond, a 5 foot wide, unlit, stone block construction hallway is discovered. 15 feet beyond the door, another is seen situated on the northern wall of the hallway. Just beyond the range of the tiny flame, the hallway appears to turn to the south. No other sounds can be heard in this underground passage.

Actions?

Lestadt AC:8 20/20
Ashley AC:8 14/31
Luna AC:7 19/26 DM/E/FF/IA/SA/SACPoM/CM/CLW/T NP/P/SS

Draxon AC:5 3/27DM/MM/US ESP/K
Zahra AC:5 5/24 CLW/CLW/C/DM/DM A/DC/KA/SWA
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1282 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"I met them just before journeying here on the coach. Until then I had never seen or heard of either of them."

All true, she at least know of the Detect Lie clerical spell.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1283 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"No indication of any light, so this area must not be heavily used." Producing a torch from his backpack, he proceeds to light it with the candle, stowing the latter after blowing out the tiny flame. He hands the torch to Ashley. "Try to keep the light from any bends or intersections before I can scout ahead and give the all clear."

He moves to the next door and stops to listen for any noise from further down the hallway, then checks the door for any traps/locks. Assuming no approaching noises are heard and the door is unlocked, he slowly opens it to peer inside.

Hear Noise (15%): [1d100]=55

Find/Remove Traps (35%): [1d100]=25

Open Locks (37%): [1d100]=79
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1284 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"I also met them just before journeying here. I did not know them well."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1285 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

"Draxon and Zahra, at least, are being held down here. Unless there are multiple dungeons. I'm not sure if we're looking for cells or not. The others are most likely being held in a cell."

Luna tries to orient herself with the position of the castle and the corridor, but she is no dwarf. "Maybe we follow the hallway and listen at doors?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1286 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Garrotten

The Castle Dungeon

Knowing their words are likely being scrutinized by magical detections, Zahra does her best to not tell any obvious lies. Draxon follows the clerics instincts, keeping his answer as truthful as possible as well.

The man nods his head in the direction of the girl before he continues. "Indeed. Well then, would it pain either of you to learn that your travel companions have confessed to being involved with the rumored assassins guild? Sent here to kill our very own Mayor?" He stares deeper, studying your reactions.

"They are both scheduled to swing from the gallows tomorrow. Does that news bother either of you at all?"

Luna tries to orientate herself with the building above which she entered earlier. She believes this hallway likely runs perpendicular with the meeting room she witnessed.

Ashley nods and takes hold of the torch while Lestadt moves into the hallway towards the next door.

When the inspector thief presses his ear to the stout door that looks identical to the one he just unlocked behind him, it swings into the next room an inch or two, clearly already unlocked and left slightly ajar. He holds his breath for a moment, glad to see no light beyond this door either. What he does find is another hallway that turns to the north 15' feet in. As he is about to signal the others, he hears a distant muffled voice coming from somewhere well beyond the next bend.

Actions?

55B010A5-93DC-4EEB-8CB0-C32981097A22.jpeg
55B010A5-93DC-4EEB-8CB0-C32981097A22.jpeg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 462 times

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1287 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"Of course it bothers me. Seeing anyone hang is bothersome."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1288 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"I suppose being a Wanderer has hardened me some, so if they are truly guilty it doesn't bother me. I don't know them well enough to know if they belong to an assassins guild but they didn't seem the murderous type. I suppose an assassin who was good at what they do wouldn't seem to be the murderous type. But honestly they seemed the incompetent type to me."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1289 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

Responding to Luna, he whispers, "That's the plan, yes. Listen for noises and look for light." He returns after opening the next door. "I heard a voice, muffled, a distance away, but definitely a voice. Wait for my signal." He creeps forward around the bend and listens for noises. If the next area is clear, he hand signals for the others to move up and join him.

Move Silently (33%): [1d100]=48

Hear Noise (15%): [1d100]=82
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1290 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She nods and follows directions, watching and waiting for Lestadt to motion the all-clear.

Luna whispers to Ashley. "Keep the torch behind the door until it's clear. Sorry, you know what to do, this is all new to me."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1291 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Garrotten

The Castle Dungeon

The man nods at the reply from Draxon. "Agreed", is all he says.

A few seconds after the response from Zahra, both the man and the girl burst into laughter, unable to control themselves after such a blunt and truthful answer. They laugh and shake their heads for some time before finally regaining their composures. The man wipes the water from his eyes before stating.

"Oh, my. That might be the most honest answer I have ever heard. They really are, aren't they. I have been trying to squeeze any information I can out of them, and they continue to spin nonsensical gibberish about how important they are and that they are here on some official business, of all things. It is almost as if they have never done anything like this before. Just one lie after another. I swear it trumps the most bizarre thing I have ever heard from a suspect before."

"I will ask you one more before we allow you to depart. If you all rode here together, then who was it that sent you here?"

Ashley just glares at Luna silently, as is her way.

Lestadt moves in further after telling the ladies about the voice he heard, having them wait back while he investigates the hallway further.

As he makes the next turn he sees torchlight in the hallway up ahead. Besides the light hint of smoke on the air, he starts to smell something awful. A stench worse than any simple latrine. Just as his boot scuffs a loose stone in the floor, the voice he heard earlier morphs into raucous laughter from up ahead, one male voice and another female. After waiting a moment, he hears the voice again, but this time he also hears the voices of his friends Zahra and Draxon. Though he cant yet see any of the people he hears, they are clearly only a few dozen feet away from his current position.

Actions?

8DD3AABC-7A07-48AF-BAA0-FBEDEBA79D03.jpeg
8DD3AABC-7A07-48AF-BAA0-FBEDEBA79D03.jpeg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 438 times

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1292 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"I did not say I was sent here. I am a connoisseur of libraries, knowledge and understanding. I travelled to town to further those goals."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1293 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

He leans back around the corner and holds up an allaying hand to Luna, following this up with a brief pantomime of people talking. He waits for the conversation to continue before creeping further ahead until the voices are clearly discernable.

Move Silently (33%): [1d100]=86

Hear Noise (15%): [1d100]=37
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1294 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"Not really sent either, as I said I came to meet Luna the Druid. Her name and location as well as her interest in the night sky was mentioned to me by my uncle."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1295 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She nods in the dim light, exerting all her patience to not rush up and see what he sees. Swaying on the spot she looks back to Ashley and then to Lestadt, waiting for the slightest hint she should join him.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1296 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Garrotten

The Castle Dungeon

The man just shakes his head at the latest replies, looking at the girl in disgust.

"I see", is all he says for a good long while before he starts up again.

"Well, since you seem to be avoiding my questions better than I can rephrase them, we might need to rethink letting you go yet."

"I will give you one more chance to wiggle off the hook. And I want you to think about this very carefully this time. If your traveling companions have already confessed, what else do you think they told us, eh? About you. About the assassination. About Restenford. About your other friends here in town."

"What do you have to say for yourselves now?"

While the man looks you in the eye, the girl's attention is suddenly distracted, her head jerking back towards the south hallway they came from.

Lestadt catches the others up before moving back into position, hoping to hear more of this nearby conversation. From the distant flickering torchlight, he can make out another identical iron bound wooden door to his right, while spotting what appears to be a portcullis or iron-barred door in the hallway to his left.

He hears the following in an unknown male voice. "Well, since you seem to be avoiding my questions better than I can rephrase them, we might need to rethink letting you go just yet."

"I will give you one more chance to wiggle off the hook. And I want you to think about this very carefully this time. If your traveling companions have already confessed, what else do you think they told us, eh? About you. About the assassination. About Restenford. About your other friends here in town."

"What do you have to say for yourselves now?"

Actions?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1297 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"You asked me to answer your questions and I have. You just told me the others spun a multitude of tales and not very well. I would not try to guess what lies these people I just met could come up with. I know I have answered your questions so the question to you is were you telling the truth and is it time for us to be released?"
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1298 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

Lestadt presses himself against the wall to reduce his silhouette in the dim light and concentrates on detecting any sounds.

Hide in Shadows (25%): [1d100]=8

Hear Noise (15%): [1d100]=11
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1299 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra pauses and stalls for a few moments to try and figure out what had distracted the girl, something is up.

"If you believe whatever it is they told you why are we having this conversation? Everything I told you is the truth, I am not quite sure what about it you are not understanding."

She will try and figure out if she decides to act, who would be closer and could she attempt a rolling leg sweep?
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1300 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Nice rolls!

Luna

Luna stays back, keenly aware of Lestadts body language. Which right now kinda conveys hunger.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”