Urth's Orphans - Chp. 1: Revelations (Gorum and Major)

Grognardsw
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Urth's Orphans - Chp. 1: Revelations (Gorum and Major)

#121 Post by Mant72 »

“Hmm…,” Gorum thinks about Major’s proposal. He responds with a whisper, “I’m not sure I entirely trust this process, but I will try it if you think it wise.”
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Grognardsw »

Man and mutant looked at the Shift menu’s religious offerings. They included religious epiphanies and the euphoria of faith, miracles, revelations, spiritual achievement, states of peace, oneness, or euphoria that may be achieved through the mysteries of Faith.
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by Mant72 »

Gorum turns to Kyrilla, “Might I ask if you have ever partaken in this process? If so, what was your experience like?”
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Grognardsw »

While Kyrilla had stepped away, Xthithizyte the alien parasite in his cyborg body said quietly to Major and Gorum: "If we are to investigate black market Shifts and their influence, we should probably try the legal Shifts to get a sense of how they work."

The clerk returned and answered Gorum's question:

"I have experienced many Shifts across a variety of subjects," said Kyrilla. "I find the Shifts of aliens to be most intrigueing, for the utterly foreign perspective and different senses that non-human races possess. They are slices of an otherworldly life we can never know."

"In the category of religious experiences, I have experienced several from the Xathos Epiphany and Communion of the Enlightened. One appreciates the faith and devotion of the Believer, even if you yourself do not worship."
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by DadsAngry »

Major:

"Kyrilla who designs and makes these shifts? Are they mass-marketed or limited to each establishment? If I go to another shift provider will I find the same products?"
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by Mant72 »

Gorum speaks to his companions, “Perhaps I should try the Xathos Epiphany? I can report my experiences afterwards.”
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Grognardsw »

Kyrilla responded to Major: "Shifts are designed by 'Creators', the name the manufacturers call themselves. The source memories are taken by the Creators and programmed into the Shift. The Creators solicit, reproduce, package, mass-market, and profit, with a percentage going to the source memory person.”

"Like in any consumer brand market, certain Creators have reputations for certain types of Shifts. There are "Limited Edition" Shifts that are not as widely available as mass-market Shifts. Shift providers like this establishment generally carry similar inventory, though some may have a deeper selection or more limited editions."

"Religious Shifts are often offered directly by the respective church or temple for free or at reduced cost. There are several manufacturers, but the two that have been most aggressive in the marketing of religious Shifts are Deitos and Teslazon. They cover a range of current, past, and off-world religions across the Plurality."

Gorum pondered experiencing a Xathos Epiphany Shift. He and Major had received a basic briefing from their employer. They thought back to the information:
The Xathos Epiphany - Founded by Xathos El-ar-aitch, this kult of personality grew into an well organized operation that is the largest of the three. Xathos professes a transcendant state can be reached through his transformational mind and body program. We know they induce altered states brought about by hypnosis and other trance-induction mechanisms, drugs, dream work, past-life and future-life therapy. We do not know what the final epiphany is that is part of their name.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by DadsAngry »

Major:

To Gorum "Hmm. Better to start slow. Why not try Communion of the Enlightened first. I've heard..." wink wink "Xathos Epiphany Shift can be quite potent."
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by Mant72 »

Gorum heeds the advice of his trusted friend, Major, and requests to take part in the Communion of the Enlightened.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Grognardsw »

Gorum took the Shift of the Communion of the Enlightened. Kirylla guided the gibbon mutant and Major to one of the many small rooms, this one numbered 42.

The clerk helped Gorum fit the helmet on his head and attached several wires on his chest.

"You will live the experience," explained Kirylla, "feel the emotions, wonders, pleasures, pains of whatever the memoree lived through. Your five senses will feel real. You are in no danger."

Major sat next to his friend. Gorum flipped the switch.

He was in blackness as an introductory message from a calm, hypnotizing voice spoke to him:

"Welcome friend, to the Communion of the Enlightened. The following events are real and happened to a member of our Communion. We are a lifestyle and religious group that believes in a group-mind conscious which brings peoples of all races and species together, and allows the Enlightened to reach a higher state of being. We invite you to learn more. If you are ready now for the Experience, please step through the door."

Gorum stood before a door that was ajar. He stepped through...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by DadsAngry »

Major:

Major stands next to Gorum and monitors the simian vitals as best he can with his limited knowledge of the species anatomy.
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by Mant72 »

Gorum stares in awe at the sights revealed to him, ”How have they managed to convert memory so that it is possible to share with others?”

As he ponders these marvels, he ascends the stairs and enters the pillar of light that shines beyond.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Grognardsw »

Beyond the pillar, a cave...

Gorum experiences the wonder and awe. He is drawn to the triangle and through it...

The man turns his head to regard Gorum.
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by Mant72 »

Gorum moves forward cautiously and vigilantly. He clears his throat so as not to startle the man at his approach, ”Hello friend, I am Gorum. Who might you be?”
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Grognardsw »

Gorum feels... experiences... moves forward.

It is difficult for Gorum to realize he is not the one doing these things. It is the memory of the person “in” the Shift, his experiences and senses that Gorum is truly living. The wonder, curiosity, hope. The hope especially, that this end to a long spiritual journey will impart the revelations she so desires.

This person who in this moment Gorum is (a nameless person, for who thinks of themselves using there own name?) steps toward the sitting man. He turns his head and motions for Gorum to sit down.

”Hello friend, I am Gorum. Who might you be?” Gorum hears herself say this. Or did the Shift woman say that? Gorum instinctively knows that this is a woman, that he right now is the woman.

“Welcome friend,” the old man says. “You have come far. Do you know that which you seek?”

Major and Xthithizyte stood tensely by as they watched Gorum live the Shift. The mutant gibbon’s head was encased in the player helmet. His closed eyes moved under his lids like he was dreaming in deep REM sleep. Other than that he seemed to be peaceful.
Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by Mant72 »

“I have come seeking experience in The Communion of the Enlightened,” Gorum replies to the old man’s inquiry.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Grognardsw »

“I have come seeking experience in The Communion of the Enlightened,” I said. "I have climbed the three hills of Knowing, passed through the three rings of Understanding, and am ready."

The old man smiled and I saw his face flicker to that of my father, mother, teacher, lover.

He reached out his hand for me to take.

In the Shift chamber, Major and Xthythyzite watched their friend Gorum. He was moving his mouth as if talking, though no sound was being emitted.

"You think he's okay?" X whispered to Major.

The clerk Kirylla stood nearby.

"Would either of you like to partake of a Shift?" she asked.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by DadsAngry »

Major:

"Ah, no. Not just yet. I'll wait until my friend is complete with his. How long does this shift last?"
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Grognardsw »

"It ranges from an hour to several, depending on the Shift," Kirylla answered Major. She looked at the Shift case. "This one averages two hours. Though the experiencer may always exit at any time."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Grognardsw »

While Gorum silently experienced the Shift, Kirylla commented: "It's like you’re plugging into an emotional state, immediately transported to deep contentment or enlightment - the utter certainty of faith and elevated consciousness (or utter delusionment). For many it takes years to reach such an emotional state of being. And here it is virtually instant. The allure is powerful - you ask yourself, should I believe in this religion?”

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”