IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

Re: IC: Part 1: River of Blades.

#41 Post by Rostranor »

And so passes Genubath, slaver on the River of Blades.

Ari-nasir stands up quickly after the shadow passes and dusts himself of. He appears unchanged and unphased by the sudden passing of the slave merchant.

well then, Change of plan. Let's get this tub down river, sell it for a decent price and cash n the merchant's credits for cash and split all shares of this caravan equally. I've always dreamed about a pleasure cruise down the river of Blades. Seems opulent to float down water while the lands of my birth are blasted by sand. Alas, good friends, we are short on women to make the journey truly pleasurable. Arngrim, have we taken all we need from our former guards? Let's strip them bare and then roll them and the dead master into the river. My sensitive Kushite friend, much joy to you, now you are free

Ari-nasir waited a moment to see which way the currents of his new companions would flow in and then set to work.
With that Ari-nasir grabbed a pole and prepared the barge to get underway into the river. As he worked he suggested and asked those around him to assist him in preparing for the journey. Someone to help roll the bodies, another to take inventory below decks and perhaps find some clothes.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim but grabs Genubath's body before it can float away. "We should leave the bodies here, or sink them, lest they, by chance, precede us down river."

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Mukuli, Thief, Rivers Edge***

Mukuli, looks around the boat for a dagger or similar hunting knife and a belt to secure it onto his waits. Also, he grabs up some spare clothes that will shelter him from the extreme heat of the desert. He than heads up river from the bodies and washes the blood and sweat from his body. Placing the clothes on, securing the belt around his waist with the hunting knife attached to it and grabbing the iron sword he heads back to the boat. "Now, I am ready."
I figure you will have no problem with the character grabbing these items. Most all guards will have a belt and there must be a hunting knife among them.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Blazeguard »

Sargon attempts to bind his wound as best he can and will the appropriate a generous piece of cloth to use as a turban/head covering to keep the sun off his head. He will wet the cloth and then tie it around his head. He will gather his sword and shield together and then pitch in and assist with whatever other preparations need to be made.

imperialus
Tracker
Tracker

#45 Post by imperialus »

You begin polling the boat further up the River of Blades, continuing to poll against the current towards Y'Mataar.

The work is hard, hot, and thoroughly unpleasant, but at least you're doing it for your own sake, not simply herding yourselves to market to be sold.

The remainder of the trip takes several days, and you pass a few other boats along the way. There are even a couple of small villages, really little more than a collection of houses inhabited by hardscrabble fishermen and their families eeking a living out of the fish that inhabit the river. The provisions stored in the boat are more than enough to keep you well fed, and Genubath's wine keeps your throat from becoming too dry and before long the foothills of the Karthis mountains give way to a broad valley. to the west you can see glimpses of the terrifying Akhkharu desert, and after another day's travel the basalt walls of Y'Mataar come into view. As you push past the shadow of the Royal Ziggurat, the sight (and smell) of the Queens Harbor comes into view.

Darting in and out amongst the other river traffic you see a large number of small one man canoes and dugouts, zipping in and out amongst the larger boats, as well as a large number of men on the docks waving and calling out to get the attention of passing barges. Once they spy your boat, several men paddle towards in calling out to you and pointing at different docks, each one promising that if you pay their mooring fee your boat and cargo will be as safe as if it were their own. You notice that the larger boats, particularly the massive barges that bring bulk cargo up and down the River of Blades and Seqet River all have large companies of guards, and all of them are positioned along the edges of their charges, arms at the ready.

You know that the docks of Y'Mataar have a reputation for anarchy and lawlessness, but this is beyond anything you expected. You even notice a few bodies (human and otherwise) floating in the river, and you don't know where to begin searching for a safe place to moor the boat.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Todd Spengo »

Arngrim stands at arms and ready for anything. He tries to project a steely resolve to make up for his shabby appearance. "Mayhaps we should sell the barge and be rid of it."

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Mukuli, Thief, Y'Mataar ***

Mukuli, spits into the water."This place sickens me. Y'Mataar, looks like a filthy city occupied by filthy people. The sooner I am out of this place the better. I say we do not leave this boat until it sells. For if we dock it and leave it I fear it will not be around when we return. In Y'Mataar, we can rest up and gather supplies before leaving this hell hole for good!"

"I long for the cool plains of home...Khazakhaan."

Rostranor
Scout
Scout

#48 Post by Rostranor »

Ah, good friends, there is always opportunity in a city. Everythingncan be bought and sold. I do have some skill in this matter. Let me see what can be done.

Ari-nasir strides to the bow of the barge and eyes the rascals plying them for a birth. Trusting to his luck he picks one at random and flips him a bit coin liberated from the old Slave Master.

You! Bring your vessel along side, I'll deal with you until I decide your a scoundrel and get a better deal from your companions.

The merchant of the sands waits for the man to come along side and then with a broad smile, sun browned skin framing a flash of white teeth, he converses with the man.

I bought this boat as part of a venture and sought to see my situation improved over the land routes. It is not to my tastes. Where can I sell the boat and my goods and be free of this venture? Do not take me a rube kind sir, I have walked the caravan routes many a time. Direct me to a fair price or I'll pass this opportunity on to one of your brethren.

Return to “Tales From the Fallen Empire [DCC]”