Along the Old North Road

Edeldhur
Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Along the Old North Road

#101 Post by Edeldhur »

"Huh... Me?" - Dopkin seems nervous - "I... Don't know if it was him... I think it was his chief or boss or whatever" - he shrugged - "Why should I be the one deciding if he lives or dies? I don't want that on me"

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by kwll »

Uthæs does not usually intervene in these matters, but he is getting bored. "There has been enough violence today here in this place, and we are losing time. At any rate, this goblin can be useful for the time being. There will be enough opportunities to deal with him at the tower. Let's move on." he says, in a somewhat defying voice.

The eyes of the elven warrior narrow a little, hoping that Talesian does not pursue his rant for too long.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#103 Post by Dicey »

The goblin would have killed or eaten you if we hadn’t stopped them.”

Talesian spits in disgust at the moral weakness of the halfling and group.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by Edeldhur »

(I think I will move us along. Feel free to continue any RP during the trip or in retcon mode)

Every once in a while, Zagzug the goblin spares some fearful looks toward Talesian, but for the most part he keeps his eyes on the ground, and tries to help carry the chest as best as he can.

As you continue along the road, the rain subsides after a while, and the group sights a stout tower looming in the distance.
This must be The Bleak Tower, home to the Margrave of Blackmarch and his retainers.

Drawing closer you spy a low building near the foot of the tower - a large sign advertises the name of what seems to be a one-story inn arranged around a small courtyard, incorporating a stable and a smithy - “A Villain’s Luck”
From inside you can hear voices engaged in conversation.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin will check around the outside of the inn before going in the door. Any other businesses/buildings around?

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by kwll »

Uthæs lets go of the chest when the party is near enough and approches quietly to have a better understanding of the conversations.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:29 pm Bodkin

Bodkin will check around the outside of the inn before going in the door. Any other businesses/buildings around?
Checking around the structure, Bodkin notices through a side passage that apparently the Inn is arranged around a small courtyard, in which he can spot at least what seems to be a a stable and a smithy.
kwll wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:26 pm Uthæs lets go of the chest when the party is near enough and approches quietly to have a better understanding of the conversations.
From the outide, Uthæs hears bits and pieces of conversations:
...Ironwood...
...Cockatrices...
...'freaking rain'...
...'good old days'...
...'life is hard'...
...'goblins'...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin heads for the smithy with his haul of goblin weapons.

"Hey, there is a smithy here, I am going to try and sell these goblin weapons. Anyone want any before I do? I will probably take a couple since I only have a mace right now."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by gurusql »

Jůnger

Jůnger wants no part of this discussion.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Rex »

gurusql wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:24 pm Jůnger

Jůnger wants no part of this discussion.
Does he want any of the goblin weapons?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by gurusql »

Jůnger

"Let us sell what we can, but no thank you."

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#112 Post by Dicey »

Talesian strides into the tavern and orders an ale. After a few gulps she stands up on a table to get attention.

“I am Talesian, warrior, and my party killed a band of goblins not far from here! They had murdered a dwarf Rark and were about to kill a halfing Bodkin, who is to work at the Tower.

We took a goblin survivor alive! It deserves the gallow. Your Margrave of Blackmarch may want to have this goblin. Who can get us in front of the Margrave!”

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by kwll »

Uthæs politely and silently refuses the offer for goblin weapons. He rolls his eyes when hearing Talesian speak.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by Edeldhur »

Dicey wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:13 pmTalesian strides into the tavern and orders an ale. After a few gulps she stands up on a table to get attention.

“I am Talesian, warrior, and my party killed a band of goblins not far from here! They had murdered a dwarf Rark and were about to kill a halfing Bodkin, who is to work at the Tower.

We took a goblin survivor alive! It deserves the gallow. Your Margrave of Blackmarch may want to have this goblin. Who can get us in front of the Margrave!”
While the others are still outside and deciding their courses of action, Talesian bursts into the inn smeared in blood from having chopped off multiple goblin heads.
The innkeeper does not seem very happy with it, yet still provides an ale once he makes sure it is paid for in advance.

But he roars when Taliesian climbs onto a table - "Don't matter who you are, get the heck down from my table!"- the stout, red-faced man shouted.
Several patrons reach for their weapons, but don't draw any. Silence falls.

"Well?!" - the innkeeper insists.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#115 Post by Dicey »

Having made her proclamation, Talesian steps down.

donjong
Runner
Runner

#116 Post by donjong »

Cropey Oarswain

Hearing the commotion from inside the inn, Cropey darts inside to see what is going on. Upon seeing the tense moment in the room and everyone's eyes fixed on Talesian descending the table, he tries his best to put on a convinving voice and says loudly:

"Hold your horses, everyone! Allow me to introduce you to Talesian, righteous soldier of lawful causes. My name is Cropey Oarswain and I am a traveller from distant lands. Please, forgive Talesian's unwillingness to stay on the floor - she and I both have seen with terror the gruesome fate that befell the late master Rark. This bloody scene of utter barbarity would turn the most pious of monks to a vociferant furniture-climber! My dear friends, patrons of this fine inn, Talesian and I are soldiers of law and come here with no intent to cause ruckus. Use your mind to see past the gory stains on our armour, and you shall see that we are honourable folk... Barkeep, one mead and one bath, please!

After his lengthy monologue, Cropey tenses up as he scans the room for a reaction from the patrons and the innkeeper.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by Edeldhur »

(Outside)

Around the back, Bodkin goes into the weedy courtyard - he notices there is also a deep water well in addition to the open-air smithy and the stable.
An old, strong, bald dwarf with a beard mostly grey is tending to the smith. He nods a greeting to the halfling but continues about his business.

Next to Hreigă in front of the Villain's Luck Inn, Zagzug seems to be increasingly nervous.

(Inside)

After both Taliesin and Cropey's proclamations, the reactions are mixed - some of the patrons are confused by the string of 'expensive' words used by the man, others laugh, some snort, but one or two applaud - "Good goblin is a dead goblin!" - one shouts.

"We gots no baths here Mister" - the innkeeper replied to Cropey - "Tried to set it up, but wasn't sellin' enough to be worth it, see?" - he adds with an upset sideling glance at Talesian, while cleaning the table she just stepped on with a rag probably as dirty.
donjong wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:09 am Cropey Oarswain

Hearing the commotion from inside the inn, Cropey darts inside to see what is going on. Upon seeing the tense moment in the room and everyone's eyes fixed on Talesian descending the table, he tries his best to put on a convinving voice and says loudly:

"... Barkeep, one mead and one bath, please!

After his lengthy monologue, Cropey tenses up as he scans the room for a reaction from the patrons and the innkeeper.
"Ulbert, allow me to pay for this gentleman and lady's drinks" - a dark haired and mustached elegantly garbed man, with high boots and leather armor, piped in at the inkeeper - "I am Fengis" - he introduced himself - "Did I hear something about poor Rark's demise on the road? I was expecting a delivery from him... Please sit, and tell me what has passed?"

Hreigă, Jůnger and Uthæs, what about you? :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"Hail, master smith. I am looking to sell some goblin weapons if you might be interested in buying?"

He walks up to the dwarf so he is sure he has been heard/seen.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by Darithe »

Hreigă of Căléd

Hreigă waits outside a moment listening to the ruckus in the inn, "So much for announcing our presence," she looks down at the goblin, thinking he has turned into a millstone about her neck. Taking a coin from her purse she presses it into his hand and in goblin says, "Best be off with you. Your service to me is done. Head for the gate and keep going till you find your kin."

She then moves into the doorway of the inn waiting a moment to glance at each of the occupants before entering.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#120 Post by Dicey »

Edeldhur wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:50 pm
"I am Fengis" - he introduced himself - "Did I hear something about poor Rark's demise on the road? I was expecting a delivery from him... Please sit, and tell me what has passed?"
Talesian drank her ale, unimpressed with the uptight tavern goers. Most men reacted differently when a woman was on top of a table. Then again, she wasn’t dancing.

We encountered goblins who killed the dwarf, and would have eaten the halfling Dopkin if we didn’t save him. It happened a few hours down the road. There are four spears topped with goblin heads to mark the spot. We took one goblin hostage, should you want to question it. It may be able to give you intelligence on its tribe size, location, leader and plans. The priestess Hreiga outside has it in custody.”

“Fengis, by your dress and interest in Rark I take it you work for the Margrave? We have the dead dwarf and his goods, should there be the delivery among them. If the Margrave needs swords to hire, we are willing.”

Return to “Edeldhur's Swords & Wizardry Incursion (S&W)”