Return to the Catacombs

Ithril
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Return to the Catacombs

#861 Post by Ithril »

I apologize for the late post. As you can imagine, I'm kinda preoccupied with my appointment this week!
gurusql wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 am I think it is the medium. I prefer a post saying something, other than just a post stating an action with no dialog.

Yes. A bit of dialogue with a post is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Lannas helps Harker in collecting the weapons, though a few are broken or damaged beyond usefulness. Altogether you find 4 falchions, 1 spear with a broken haft, 2 short swords, and 2 daggers. The two daggers are in good condition, but of the 4 falchions, 1 has a dangerously loose hand grip, and another has most of the point broken off. One of the short swords has several deep notches in the cutting edges, and the other has been driven deeply into a table leg. (roll a strength check to remove it). All the weapons carry blood; dried since their last engagement.

While Conweena and Igber linger near the Wenztern door, Traesta packs the coins away in her pack. Dorath inspects the corpses and discovers another gruesome detail: It appears the pirates here fought each other (or something human-like) to the death. The bites are all human, and if there are any wounds that are not obviously from a weapon (or a bite) then they fit the pattern of a human hand tearing at the flesh, either with incalculable desperation, or inhuman strength. In his gruesome investigation, however (aside from a few loose copper standard coins scattered about [7, actually and one Royal Drake] ) Dorath also discovers another bundle of tied cloth, similar to the first that Harker had found, and a careful search of the wrecked furnishings may uncover more.

Meanwhile Igber has finished his inspection of the Wenztern door with negative results. He cannot hear any thing beyond the door, but he does not find that the door is trapped either. He does suspect that it has not set idle for the last hundred years like most of the other doors in this tomb seem have been.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#862 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"Looks like a major battle was fought here. Some spare weapons isn't a bad idea."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#863 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"After everyone has gathered what they want, I suggest we check the Wenztern door. My hope is that either it will connect to the straight passageway from the stairs or that there will be a single room in between. Either way it will be good to know another way to the stairs."

This is what I hoping will eventually connect (perhaps directly)
Dorath's Map 4-14b.jpg
Dorath's Map 4-14b.jpg (182.71 KiB) Viewed 200 times

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#864 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker will direct a systematic, total and THOROUGH search of the entire room collecting ALL the knap-sacks and searching all the bedding for spare coin and scattered coin on the floor to collect it ALL... and tally the total sum. As for the weapons he will also sort the functionally useful ones from the inferior broken weapons and distribute them as evenly as possible among the party for carrying purposes for when we return to basecamp to stow them for later sell should a market ever be ventured too... this is cash... if heavy and annoying to port.. its Still cash for the purposes of buying Gear the party needs.

After all the searching is done Harker nods in agreement with Treasta's suggestion and follows Igber to the West door. After he checks it for traps and gives it the go... Harker will position Coweena to the right of the door and Lannas to the left as he opens the door to let the light of his belt lantern illuminate the door way beyond ...sword and shield at the ready to peer into the door to see what is revealed.
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#865 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena stands ready for the door to be opened.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#866 Post by Ithril »

Searching through the debris of the former camp, Harker is able to discover 7 more bundles, bags or purses. Most of these were hidden in the bedding, belying their value, though the melee and destruction left many more exposed. Harker also finds a small sturdy wooden box that seems to be latched and locked, though no key is obvious.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#867 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"I can go through the bags/bundles. How about someone who is good with locks take a look at the box."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#868 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble helps sort through the items found. "I'm not so good with locks - but I sure as hell can smash it with my blade!"

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#869 Post by sunphoenix »

"Thank you Coweena I'd appreciate the assistance..."

Harker will take the time to carefully sort through the contents of the 7 new bundles... sorting out the valuables recovered if any and hands any coin recovered to Treasta for safe keeping.

At Peeble's comment about his 'blade-key', he calmly admonishes restraint, "...I'm sure your 'key' would work, but there might be fragile contents... and we're in no rush...so let's let Igber use his skill with locks instead. Every lock he opens just makes him better at opening locks."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#870 Post by Ithril »

Altogether Harker finds coins in the following quantity among the rubbish:
20 Kairosh Copper Standard (CP)
10 Kairosh Royal Galleon (SP)
16 Kairosh Royal Drake (GP)

As you gather around Igber, he studies the small wooden box carefully. As he handles it, you can hear the contents move inside the box. Though he studies it closely, he says it doesn't appear to be dangerous, so he sets it down to work on the lock.

But he is unable to pick the lock.
After a few minutes of staring at the box, he pulls his dagger out and starts to pry carefully at the box latch.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#871 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena watches with interest as Igber pries at the box.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#872 Post by gurusql »

Treasta

Treasta takes the coins and with there being 7 party members she hands out 2 CP, 2 SP and 2 GP to everyone. This will leave 6 Kairosh Copper Standard (CP), 2 Kairosh Royal Galleon (SP), 2 Kairosh Royal Drake (GP) in party treasure that she will carry for now.

Recorded on sheet

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#873 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker will comments, "Hmmm... Igber... before you mangle the chest's latch... let us look about with a little more scrutiney to see if the 'leader' of these slain pirates might have concealed the key some place?"

With that Harker will look at the underside of the chest... the bottom side of it knocking lightly so see if a concealed or false bottom compartment might hold the key. He will also go check the Falchion with the dangerously loose grip to see if a key might be hidden within the grip. He will direct everyone to look again at the remains and bedding and any ruined furniture to see if a key may have been overlooked. It is just as likely their 'leader' made his escape or was slain elsewhere int he catacombs far away from the chest. But... the party Does have time to be thorough.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#874 Post by Ithril »

I need to know what everyone is doing (Dorath, Pebble) Before I can proceed much further.

Please post promptly !

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#875 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble keeps a distracted eye on the perimeter. He mostly watches Igber wrestle with the box.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#876 Post by Ithril »

A more thorough search of the box bottom and the loose sword still reveals no key, though turning the box reveals something heavy is bumping around within it loosely. As the rest of the party looks on, and with Harkers leave, Igber returns to prying at the box with his dagger gently. The wood is soft, and eventually he pries away the thin brass hardware holding the lid to the box.

With a sudden muffled "BANG" something within the box explodes! The lid flies from Igber, who is engulfed in a cloud of gray-green fog!

I'll need everyone to roll a save vs. poison please! For ease of determination of affect, I'll just use the save throw to determine if you're within the area of the cloud. Don't worry too much if you don't save. The effects won't be terribly catastrophic.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#877 Post by sunphoenix »

So... more suffering...

Poison Save [1d20 + 2]=6+ 2=8

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan