IC I

thirdkingdom
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC I

#841 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Oh yeah, right. That one. Big doors, gotcha.

Not our door, which is why we haven't run into these guys up until now.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#842 Post by thirdkingdom »

Easirn, brigand

"Yeah, that one. I'm Easirn, by the way. What, uh, are you doing next? I should probably head back and tell the boss about what happened. She's not going to like it, but when she meets you I'm sure she'll understand. Shit happens, right? You just got caught up in the heat of the moment, didn't recognize us."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#843 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Why don't you help us get this open so we can bring the treasure back to the boss, might help make up for the misunderstanding."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#844 Post by thirdkingdom »

Easirn, brigand

"Excellent idea!" Easirn says, "Yes. Let's do that. We'll just need to wait for a bit; since there is no daylight down here, under the mountain, we've started measuring units of time in these things we call 'turns'. Should be about three more 'turns' before yon slab of stone resets itself."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#845 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Interesting trap, what do you know of it and any others?"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#846 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:24 pm Atticus

"Interesting trap, what do you know of it and any others?"
Easirn, brigand

"Oh, yeah, there are traps here and there. This is the first time I've seen something like this, though. Blocks access for some time, too."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#847 Post by sulldawga »

Should we expect anyone else from the Gang to come down here? We ran into a couple of the guys, unfortunately it was after the giant spiders found them.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#848 Post by thirdkingdom »

Easirn, brigand

"Oh, probably not. This is further than I've ever come. I think one other patrol came this far, but they never came back. They probably stumbled onto that spider you mentioned."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#849 Post by shaidar »

Atticus heads over to examine the trap and the surrounding area (without touching anything), thinking it might be useful to do when in it's 'activated' position.
Last edited by shaidar on Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#850 Post by Dicey »

sulldawga wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm
thirdkingdom wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm …He also whispers to Brooku that it's a good idea to move the bodies out of the room before looting them, in order to avoid offending their new friend.
As Dirk the dervish and Brooku the cyclopskin carried the bodies out (“for respectful burial later,” the Dervish said), Dirk had troubled thoughts. He wasn’t familiar with the boss or gang, but he did know the boss wouldn’t take kindly to her people being murdered and her map stolen. Unless any treasure found was handed over to her, which Dirk and his literal murder hobo companions were unlikely to do. Even if they did, this boss could - no would - really should - still kill them as untrustworthy.

Outside the room, Dirk looted the bodies.

The only witness to this mess was the brigand Easirn. Dirk knew what that meant.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#851 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:04 am Atticus heads over to examine the trap and the surrounding area (without touching anything), thinking it might be useful to do when in it's 'activated' position.
It's hard to tell. The stone plug effectively obscures the door behind it. There's not quite enough room on either side to squeeze past, and it is just down from the ceiling enough to catch a glimpse of taut chains leading up into the darkness.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#852 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

Atticus wonders if they have anything to cut or jam the chains to prevent the block from rising. If the chains were jammed the mechanism might break when it ties to reset. He also considers if there would be any chance of moving the block, or if it looks way too heavy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#853 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:50 pm Atticus

Atticus wonders if they have anything to cut or jam the chains to prevent the block from rising. If the chains were jammed the mechanism might break when it ties to reset. He also considers if there would be any chance of moving the block, or if it looks way too heavy.
The block is massive, and does not shift at all when he puts his weight against it. It might be possible to somehow jamb the chains, but without getting a look at the mechanism that raises them there's no way to be sure.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#854 Post by Dicey »

Do the dead people have weapons or spikes we could jam in the raised stone, to prevent it from falling again?

What loot do they have in general?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#855 Post by thirdkingdom »

Dicey wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:43 pm Do the dead people have weapons or spikes we could jam in the raised stone, to prevent it from falling again?

What loot do they have in general?
A quick search of the dead brigands reveals a few copper coins and an assortment of, to be frank, poorly maintained weapons and armor. The body against a wall bears sign of massive trauma; it's left arm and leg are mangled and barely recognizable.

~~~~~~~

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
12:20 pm
Twenty-six turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

As if on clockwork -- perhaps it is, in fact -- after thirty minutes there's a rumble and clank of chains as machinery somewhere above them spins into life, lifting the block of stone slowly, the sides scraping the shaft as it ascends. The poor brigand who triggered the trap caught the full brunt of it and is almost unrecognizable on the floor; just a mass of blood and cloth and sinew and bone. The block shudders to a halt ten feet off the ground, set flush with the ceiling, and with such joinery that, unless one were to look for it, would be invisible to casual observation.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#856 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

Careful not to touch anything, Atticus moves forward and examines the spot the thief was working on before he got squashed.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#857 Post by sulldawga »

So, uh, Easirn, were you trying to pick a lock here? Did anyone else in your group have any, you know, lock-picking experience?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#858 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm Atticus

Careful not to touch anything, Atticus moves forward and examines the spot the thief was working on before he got squashed.
It looks, to his eyes, to be a pretty standard lock. There's a bent set of lockpicks on the floor in front of the door.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#859 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:15 pm So, uh, Easirn, were you trying to pick a lock here? Did anyone else in your group have any, you know, lock-picking experience?
Easirn

"Well, Sano said she could, and Hildan there", he motions towards the body on the floor -- "was a dab hand with a set of picks, but, you know, luck only lasts so long before it runs out. Guess his luck ran out."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#860 Post by sulldawga »

Themon turns to his colleagues. We should search for secret doors, too. Sometimes the lock is just a fake designed to hide the real door.

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”