OOC chat

TheMyth
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC chat

#61 Post by Rex »

I can map then. Do you recommend 10 foot squares or 5 foot? It will be pencil on graph paper so any posts will be cell phone pics.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:20 am I can map then. Do you recommend 10 foot squares or 5 foot? It will be pencil on graph paper so any posts will be cell phone pics.
1square =10' should be fine.

1 square =5' would be more precise in spots, but it seems like a waste of paper.

It's a total hint, but the first few maps will be VERY simple, as far as dungeon design goes.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rex »

Simple works for me.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#64 Post by Dicey »

Looking forward to gaming with you all! My sheet has been posted.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Dicey!

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Welcome aboard!

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by Edeldhur »

Welcome Dicey!

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Darithe »

Welcome Lord Dicey!

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by BaltoBruiser »

BTW when it comes to opening doors, we have to be the worst party of adventures in the history of D&D. We have at least 2 characters with 50/50 shots and we haven't open one yet.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by TheMyth »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:45 pm BTW when it comes to opening doors, we have to be the worst party of adventures in the history of D&D. We have at least 2 characters with 50/50 shots and we haven't open one yet.
I never played in a group that used the rule before, but I had a group going through an old house and thought it was the perfect time to try it!

It was fun making them try other routes, ignoring sections of the house, stumbling into encounters they could have avoided..... It works well in this place too!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Rex »

How we always used to (and still do) use open doors is to use it if the door is locked and someone is trying to force it or if the door is stuck (say a swollen wood door in a dungeon or one warped by the warp wood spell). Keeping in mind that not every door should be stuck. Some would be so rotted through or vermin eaten as to not be much of a barrier at all. Also, a barred door is more difficult to force (in 1e it would be a BBLG roll for example).

Almost forgot the most important thing. Anytime someone tries to force a door (ie an open doors roll is made) a wandering encounter roll should be made to account for all the noise.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:38 am ... if the door is stuck (say a swollen wood door in a dungeon or one warped by the warp wood spell). Keeping in mind that not every door should be stuck.
My exact reasoning with the doors in the old house...and in this dungeon in the marshlands! Lots of humidity.

Not every door has been stuck, but getting you all rolling saves time! ;)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Just including rolls whenever something is a possibility is always a good idea with PbP for that reason. Easy enough to ignore them.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter 1.2: A Marsh - Under the Tower (level 2)

#74 Post by Edeldhur »

Ellith

(I realize the subdual rules in OSE simply state they surrender, but they have effectively been dealt enough damage to be dead/unconscious, right? So they are 'subdued' but they can still run away if we turn their attention from them for a split second? It is not as if we cowed them into submission with harsh words, we actually beat them down physically, right? Just curious for further situations, and because I am planning on soon running my own OSE game, so interested in understanding how people usually interpret this)

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#75 Post by Dicey »

In a lot of systems the subdual damage is real but not deadly, one becomes unconscious instead of dead. I assumed they were out.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:30 am Ellith

(I realize the subdual rules in OSE simply state they surrender, but they have effectively been dealt enough damage to be dead/unconscious, right? So they are 'subdued' but they can still run away if we turn their attention from them for a split second? It is not as if we cowed them into submission with harsh words, we actually beat them down physically, right? Just curious for further situations, and because I am planning on soon running my own OSE game, so interested in understanding how people usually interpret this)
My thinking was this:

They were subdued and then ignored. No one chose to guard them. They were not tied up. (There was no time.) Everyone turned their backs to them and attacked the new enemies.

So, I made a Morale Check, which I believe was a 5. That's a very good roll. And one of them is a "leader" type. They were just subdued, but rallied. Would they fight? Not with the tunnel RIGHT THERE.

It's all quite logical.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by TheMyth »

Dicey wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:27 pm In a lot of systems the subdual damage is real but not deadly, one becomes unconscious instead of dead. I assumed they were out.
Re-reading my posts, I see the section I typed about the kobolds' subdual disappeared during an edit.

In retrospect, I see Ellith's intent for a knockout... In the future, such a statement will provoke a saving throw to see if subdual damage just provokes surrender or might cause unconsciousness.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by Edeldhur »

Understood - so if their HP are reduced to 0 with non-lethal damage and they surrender, they are not actually damaged at all, and they can run away if they get a chance. Is that it?

So if we chase them, how may points of damage will be needed to subdue them again? Their full hp again?

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:19 am Understood - so if their HP are reduced to 0 with non-lethal damage and they surrender, they are not actually damaged at all, and they can run away if they get a chance. Is that it?

So if we chase them, how may points of damage will be needed to subdue them again? Their full hp again?
See, that's the problem. You are looking at this through a later edition's eyes. It wasn't nonlethal damage...it was subdual damage. And unless I missed it, there is no OSE rule about how fast subdual damage is removed.

That's why I used a little "rough justice" and made a morale check (justified by one of them being a leader-type), which they passed. Let's run with that and say the morale check eliminates the subdual damage, but morale is reduced by 2 for future checks.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by Edeldhur »

Fair enough, but if we want to subdue them again, then we need to hit them (with subdual damage) for their hp total again?

Return to “TheMyth's OSE Adventures in Tegel County (OSE)”