Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

Spearmint
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

#601 Post by kwll »

Understanding the horror of what happened to the mother (or father?) of the little weasel, Genaromes tries to hide the view of it from the little animal. It winces when he does that, but does not resist much otherwise. "You are wincing, little weasel?" says the young wizard. "I would do that for less. Why don't we call you Wincy then? A fitting name for what just happened to you. Hopefully we won't give you more reasons to do it in the future..."

He does not have the heart to search the room from where the ghasts were found. Looking near the statue again he finds a small piece of carved metal in the shape of an egg.

Trinket added to inventory.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#602 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo helps move the ghast bodies as needed and tells the others, "Thank St. Ygg we were able to get to Wrathbone in time. Good job everyone.
Man, that was some foul-smelling stuff. Be thankful you didn't get a good smell.
Let's search out the room and be careful. I am concerned we do not have enough healing power to keep up with the number of injuries we are sustaining on this expedition. I would be reluctant to continue on and put Wrathbone at risk. This place is not going anywhere, and we can come back to it. If Brother Symeon our healer feels he can manage to get Wrathbone closer to full health or if we want to do a camp somewhere close perhaps we can continue. Thoughts everyone."

Durgo pitches in and searches the room and looks for secret doors/hidden doors.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#603 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
After helping Wrathbonee search the coffer. I agree Durgo. We can't let ourselves be whittled down like sticks. What are the omens Brother? Other thoughts cousins & friends?
Search rolls if needed: Dwarf stonework check [1d100]=20
secret doors [1d6]=4

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#604 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

I do not think we should risk any further injuries and need to protect Wrathbone. Returning to Helix might be best. However, I feel like I have let you down Durgo as I do not believe we are any closer to recovering Sir Guy"s remains.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#605 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo waves off Bhelnus, "No worries, friend Bhelnus.. These things can take some time. Let's learn from this expedition and incorporate any needed changes into our next one. I think we have a great group here. That is if everyone wants to do another visit here. Let's see how this shapes up with the healing and see how everyone is feeling. I'd like to error on the side of caution though."

Durgo hopes for the best no matter what. "St. Ygg guide us in or choices and efforts, Amen."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#606 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Harpy Halls.

Here is a visual of this area of crypts. I will update with a description of each room and then you can decide next steps.

Attachments
Beyond the Harpy Halls
Beyond the Harpy Halls
Screenshot_2024-04-12-15-55-56-069~2.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 189 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#607 Post by Spearmint »

The top triangular room leads to a succession of odd shaped crypts. The general design is the crypts have tiled flagstones on the floor and mortared stone wall construction. The ceilings are about twenty feet high. Most walls have old iron torch sconces fitted, doors are typical aged oak panelled doors, swollen into frames from the perma-chill and damp atmosphere present.

The entrance (top left corner) crypt is a room noted only for broken furnishings that litter the room. The wood, brittle and dry could fuel a small cooking fire of neccessary. Only minor dented and broken trash is found here but the room has been used lots since an adventurer's bedroll has been left in one corner. The following crypts are described as

A) A large Iron statue of a strange goat-faced humanoid, much dented and chipped stands in the corner. No traps were found upon it but the hollow base proved a suitable nest for the Weasel kitten.
B) secret closet was used as store room. Now contains the deceased bodies, Ghasts & skeleton priest. The main room is bare of features, the burial alcoves in the wrst and south-east walls are small shelves that could hold a skull or similar sized trinket. They are dusty and grimy with cobwebs, giving an impression they have been looted through previously.
C) a stone coffer in the centre of the room contains a pile of bones, much nibbled and gnawed upon by the deceased Ghasts. A random search found no trinkets of worth hidden inside.
D) Obelisk: small stone edifice with ancient inscriptions that imbue those who place hands upon an imprint related to their class with a minor (Nergal) blessing or effect. This actually worked in Genaromes favour as the random effect caused one of his spells to be cast which Fate determined as Find Familiar, hence the attachment to the Weasel kit.
E) the locked crypt, easily breached by Fydmar contains four small coffers, each containing a more recently deceased figure. (Like not an ancient barrow internee) Each figure is a hybrid Mongrelman.
F)This small triangular crypt has a Moon and Stars diorama, dangling from the ceiling. Small baubles on the end of long chains, setting as a constellation or cosmic design. A few baubles are missing, as is any Sun star.

Actions and explorations of this area and next step considerations.

I will update with a brief on the time and health status.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#608 Post by kwll »

Genaromes is not against leaving, even though he would find it useful to search thoroughly the rooms they didn't go through yet before that. "Maybe you all can try to touch the obelisk?" he proposes, while brushing Wincy. "Not everything in these tunnels brings ill..."

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#609 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Wait a moment, friends (searches through pack). Wrathbone, here, drink this (hands him healing potion).

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#610 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Privately to Brother Symeon
"Brother Symeon, I think Gen might needs some assistance back at the church. He may have been cursed when he touched that obelisk. He just seems a bit different."
"I'd like to check the secret room out a bit and perhaps we can provide a better resting place for the priest that perished there."

Durgo uses his winter glove to cover his mouth and nose with one hand and uses the other glove to pull the ghast out to a corner of the bigger room. As he gets close to the ghast if he senses he still might benefit from the egg he uses the egg before getting too much closer. He'll drags the ghast away from the others before checking out the room a bit more thoroughly. Gathering the priest to put in an empty coffer and be blessed by Brother Symeon if this wasn't done earlier. Once done he'll check with the group, "Shall we look the rooms over more thoroughly and head back to Helix or continue on?"

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#611 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

Wrathbone: uses Healing potion [2d4+2]=7+2=9

Pointless to try and express some false humility and bluff he has no need of the potion. In truth another minor wound makes him on the verge of death again. Grateful to his kinsman Fydmar and the group for their timely intervention, he glugs the potion of healing down. Feeling much better. it is enough to out him back on max 12/12hp.
"Maybe you all can try to touch the obelisk?" he proposes, while brushing Wincy. "Not everything in these tunnels brings ill..."
He listens to Genaromes counsel. Quizzically perhaps. The obelisk is geared towards the profane devotion to the underworld gods and he would hesitate to inadvertently be swearing devotion to any of those despite the Mage receiving a boon in the Familiar instead of a bane or disfavour. He won't lay his palm onto a handprint indentation on the Obelisk.

He helps search these internal crypts, checking though the burial alcoves, bits of furnishings, coffers and statues.

Wrathbone: Dwarven construction skill check: [1d100]=30 or [4d6]=16

The discussion of 'staying or going' returns. I think the key is balance. We have a few bits of trove and some extra information on Sir Guy O'Veargne (from the Mummy/Knight and the Harpy), have a little better knowledge of the immediate vicinity north and north-west of the Harpy shaft. We are still all in health and subject to a safe camp, could have more healing shared out from Brother Symeon.

Offset to staying is going back to Helix. There is no shame in that and each could use a few days downtime recovery to fix the Construct more, report to village elders, study spells (gain xp?). Then we return to press on with the Sir Guy repatriation or follow up on your other adventures with Gnolls in the forest or Gnomes in the mine.

As a personal choice (subject to a health report and maybe a list of what magics/spells we have left), Wrathbone would be prepared to press on but not push our luck.

Certainly if hours allow, getting the mages to relearn spells if we can rest unmolested in these rooms will be greatly appreciated. And for Bro Symeon to do any devotions to restore his Turn Undead ability so it is not at the penalised level.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#612 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Gives Wrathbone a nod, glad to see he is back to full fitness. Despite the invite, he has no intention of touching the obelisk.
Is everyone else in relatively good shape? If so, perhaps we should continue a little further before returning. Would hate to be one room away...
That's his vote, but would be ok with returning too.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#613 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

With Wrathbone's health returned with the assistance of the magic potion...I am believe as Brother Fydmar does that with our current health we can push on. He too avoids touching the obelisk.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#614 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Alright gents lets push on Let's search out these rooms in this triangle area and Fydmar can take lead as we push on westward. Everyone gather up on me then marching order as we prepare to move out or clear these rooms."

Durgo gathers any gear and gets his lantern set as needed. Shield and lantern ready Sword sheathed, but ready to be drawn.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#615 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Questions for SM:

In Room A: Can we tell if the statue is Orcus?
In Room E: can we tell how long the mongrelmen have been dead (last few days, month, years?)
In Room F: can we tell if the baubles which are missing represent a constellation(s) and would there be any importance to them being missing?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#616 Post by Spearmint »

Can we tell if the statue is Orcus?
No, it is not Orcus but more likely a representative a Gehennian (demonic) warrior figure.
can we tell how long the mongrelmen have been dead (last few days, month, years?)
They are bloated and stinking corpses, rotting and infested, thankfully not undead. Certainly a few days old if not longer. A 'medic' based Wisdom check might give more definitive answer if someone wants to examine them.
can we tell if the baubles which are missing represent a constellation(s) and would there be any importance to them being missing?
This requires a character skill check using Intelligence or Wisdom to discern.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#617 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

This requires a character skill check using Intelligence or Wisdom to discern.
Bhelnus with an 9 Int and 8 Wis is not the guy for that...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#618 Post by Spearmint »

Bhelnus with an 9 Int and 8 Wis is not the guy for that...
you'll never know if you don't roll those [4d6]'s.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#619 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I'm 11 & 6, so not good either.
Can we tell what the baubles are made of? Any runes or letters on them?

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#620 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Does his best to try and determine if the missing baubles mean something:

INT Check [4d6]=13 vs. 9

WIS Check [4d6]=19 vs. 8

It appears that he cannot...

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”