Smoking Out The Bandits

OGRE MAGE
grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#121 Post by grokkngrognard »

Hiding behind a bush, Skratch takes a long look. "Maybe sit here a bit, see what shows."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#122 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Crobeus finds a spot in the trees where he can see anyone on the trail.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"So, the bandits reportedly used some caves along the right hand side? Well, since the kobolds inhabit the first cave at the bottom of the ravine on that side, I expect the bandits would occupy that first cave on the second tier ... there." He gestures to a cave situated a fair distance from the next cluster of cave entrances. "I suggest that we take a look."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"I have no additional insights, but sounds a good as any."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#125 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan "I'm good either way. Wait and watch or go and look." the halfling says sounding a bit back to his normal self again.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

Chuckling at how much of a dandy Dubricus is, the Half-Orc follows along at the rear of the group, checking their back trail as they walk. When they spot the caves, Dredd just shakes his head. "After our last cave approach, I'm for waiting here a bit."
Winter is coming...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Muses on the day's event. We are a long way from stalking the bandits who wait by the fallen log to waylay adventurers. Now on the fringe of the Chaos Caves, he smiled at the irony.

Picking up on Meinhardt's suggestion, "Well I know a troll lives by the goblins that side. Make sure we swerve that thing." he points across with his metal arm, flexing the finger digits and adding a touch of oil from a hollow syringe to the joints. Stop them squeaking and keeping the Shocking Grasp spell imbued in them and at the forefront of his spell repertoire.

He had an idea back in the Keep that the Kobold tricksters might be engaged more profitably. Blowing stained glass for trade purposes as an example since no such art or glassware is made in the Keep itself. He muses whether trying to broach some trade agreement might be a long term but profitable endeavour (no merchant thought it feasible), but gaining an 'ally' in the Caves might mean folk could explore from a base.

He keeps those 'lunatic' ideas to himself for now until we encounter any Kobolds. "Meinhardt's suggestion is good with me."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"We can do that, the other option would be to lay in wait here, but I'm happy going to take a look."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

"I prefer a quick look see," the young ranger remarked, "Best know what's coming than be surprised by it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It sounds like we have two different decisions here, so for those of you who suggested they would stay at the bridge, please feel free to do that if you'd prefer.

Returning To The Scene
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

Most of the group agrees that a quick look around the Caves of Chaos area couldn't hurt while Crabgrass rubs the areas on his body where he was injured on his last trip.

A cave (1).jpeg
A cave (1).jpeg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Several cave openings line the sides of this rocky, stepped ravine that stretches out of view behind a large copse of trees blocking the central area of the ravine floor. The stinky sewer stream can be seen disappearing into those trees and likely beyond.

Crabgrass points out the areas that have already been searched, warning about a curious troll who resides in one of the lower caves. (E) He mentions that his group has already cleared out the kobold cave, also one of the lower units. (A) The other cave they investigated but didn't clear was filled with what they thought must be goblins, though again, that area was barely breached before they had to run for their lives. (D)

While Dredd, Pimlan, and Crobeus wait near the forest trail, Meinhardt, Renna, Crabgrass, Stobart, Magdal, and Dubricus make the tricky climb up to the second tier of rocky ledges where the next line of cave openings can be seen.

About 20 feet or so above the lower cave (A), the upper rocky opening (B) has a few reminders of how things work out here in the wild. Several small niches are cut into the face of the rock surrounding the cave mouth. Each of these niches contains a severed head. Some are human, some dwarf, some elf, but there are many humanoid heads as well. One is a scaly dog shaped head with tiny horns and a pronounced muzzle. This head once clearly belonged to one of the kobolds below. A few others appear to be goblin heads, and one larger head is difficult to make out from a distance.

One single niche to the right of the cave opening remains empty, and the word RESERVED is scrawled on the wall underneath in chalk. There is no sound or light coming from inside the wide open entryway.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#131 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"This is not what I signed up for. I just thought we were looking for bandits, not going to the caves," mutters the paladin to those who hung back. He shifts from foot to foot nervously, anxious for the others to return.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#132 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan shrugs in reaction to Crobeus's remark "Me too."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

"Trophy heads. As I shared earlier. Knowing Kobolds though, I wouldn't be surprised that some are trapped or even some are paper maiche."

I will go, against my better judgement perhaps, but investigate the heads, poking at them with my staff.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"The kobolds were in the next cave without any trophy heads, though. They were also cowardly and fled. This seems out of character for them. Besides, I doubt they'd write something in Common."

"I suspect, Reserved is for the next humanoid to poke around. I'd be very careful."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by hedgeknight »

Scott308 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:07 am Crobeus - Human Paladin
"This is not what I signed up for. I just thought we were looking for bandits, not going to the caves," mutters the paladin to those who hung back. He shifts from foot to foot nervously, anxious for the others to return.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:56 pm Pimlan shrugs in reaction to Crobeus's remark "Me too."
"Me three," Dredd mutters with his companions. "And did you see the arm on that Crabgrass feller? Was it made of metal? Is he human or...or what?"
Dredd leans on his spear and spits over the bridge and into the dirty creek. "Wonder where the bandits that made us pay a toll are holed up? I figured our glorious leader who take us to them. Dubricus...that's a strange feller too."
Winter is coming...

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Since this was not Renna's plan to attack a random cave she wants to support others having great ideas as well. She whispers, "Having something written in Common is a big hint we could have the guessed the right cave, but leaving our sneaky types and fighters at the bottom of the hill is not my favorite part of the plan. I would vote in or out, but hanging around the doorway is not something I like."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#137 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
The Caves Of Chaos
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

While 4 of the party members, including their paladin, remain near the bridge through the forest trail, the others continue searching around the entrance to the closest higher cave. (B)
orc head.jpg
orc head.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Dubricus seems disgusted by the array of severed heads displayed in the many niches along the cave wall. Both Renna and Meinhardt warn against getting too close to the heads while Crabgrass moves up to poke at them with his staff.

He pushes on one kobold head and it plops over on its ear. The second head he taps with his staff rocks back before rolling forward again, falling out of the rough alcove altogether, making a bouncing coconut sound when it hits the rocky ground.

Then Crabgrass suddenly stops in his tracks without prodding another. He seems confused when he looks up at the grisly sight before him again, noticing something strange. One of the next niches he was about to poke into is suddenly empty, though he was sure a head had just been sitting there a few moments ago.

Actions?
A cave (1).jpeg
A cave (1).jpeg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"With our fighters away, maybe it would be wise not to proceed too far on our own."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"There was someone watching us that just moved out of the way. I recommend that we retreat now."

Renna will start moving back down the hill.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

"Yes that's what happened Renna, we should retreat to the others right away," Magdal says nocking an arrow as she backs away, keeping between the caves and Renna.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”