What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

#461 Post by tristenc »

@Rex and @cybersavant
are you two familiar with Discord at all? If my friend ends up running it that is probably the platform it would be on

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Rex »

I haven't used it in a long time. The previous time I tried using it I ended up corrupting my computer with a virus. Maybe it is better now but I was told then that it was a known spot for distributing viruses.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#463 Post by tristenc »

Hmm. I've been on it for a few years now and never had a problem (since 2018)

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#464 Post by cybersavant »

heard of it, not interested.

i still use ICQ for chat and file transfers
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Leitz »

I've used a google doc for live gaming, it seems to work well. It also means you can clean up things aftwards for a more coherent read.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#466 Post by GreyWolfVT »

cybersavant wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 am heard of it, not interested.

i still use ICQ for chat and file transfers
I didn't know ICQ was even still around. I haven't used ICQ since the 90's same with AIM. Was using Skype up until about 2015 then switched to Discord.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#467 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:51 am I've used a google doc for live gaming, it seems to work well. It also means you can clean up things aftwards for a more coherent read.
That’s a pretty neat idea.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#468 Post by Edeldhur »

Leitz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:51 am I've used a google doc for live gaming, it seems to work well. It also means you can clean up things aftwards for a more coherent read.
How does it work? I am curious :D

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by Leitz »

Edeldhur wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:09 pm
How does it work? I am curious :D
Pretty easily. The DM creates the document and sends everyone the link. They must ensure everyone has edit access. Everyone needs to do their initial writing in a different color font, or in some way identify who that block of text is for. Depending on how the group rolls, you can pust urls or whatever.

This makes some conversations a lot easier; someone can answer after the question, instead of having to post a new response in the forum thread, and then wait longer for a response. As a DM you can pre-generate some of the introductory and visual text so folks can get into the scene quickly. You can even write ahead in a different document. For example, if the group talks about going to see a particular NPC you can write out the initial scene there and keep things moving along quickly.

I find that the typing slows things down a little, but that's a win since we have a few more moments to think of a good response. In Face to Face gaming things can get going overly quickly and some questions can be lost. Having one document for the night's game lets everyone refer to a single page, mostly in order.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by jemmus »

That sounds really fun. I'm trying to picture how a game like that would go. It seems like pretty well.

I've played a couple of D&D 5e PBP games on discord. They were on a big West Marches game with a lot of players and DMs. Played some live headphones and mic sessions with the group via roll20 too. They were fun, but they'd go on for 3 hours or so, and I couldn't commit to that very often. Too strenuous, and invasive. #SeniorLeaguePBPGamers #GotoMowtheLawn #ShovelSnowBeforeWorkTomorrow #WeWorkedHardforEveryGPin1E :)
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#471 Post by tristenc »

@Rex and @cybersavant
Let me know if either of you would be interested in this game ^_^

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Rex »

If on unseenservant forums, yes. If on discord, no.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#473 Post by cybersavant »

tristenc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:48 pm @Rex and @cybersavant
Let me know if either of you would be interested in this Witcher game ^_^
not on Discord
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Starbeard »

(At some point this year I'm still intending to start up my foolishly conceived Maunty Halls of Bec-Mi game, where we try to take BECMI characters to 36 and even unto immortality). BUT FIRST, something equally ill-advised:

Assuming I can get 2-4 players invested, in May I'm planning to start a Star Wars game, with a twist, in commemoration of the (late) 50th anniversaries of the conceptual drafts for both D&D and Star Wars. Yes, we will use the 1973 draft of D&D to play a game based on the 1973-1974 drafts of Star Wars.

For rules, the plan is quite literally to play Chainmail and the D&D draft as-is, but swords will be laserswords, crossbows will be blasters, clerics will be Jedi, and we'll be riding gigantic ostriches and jetsticks on alien planets, Flash Gordon and John Carter style. There will of course be a few small changes here and there, for the sake of the setting, but not much.

I think just a brief campaign with a specific, short term goal, mostly to have fun looking over the draft and learning how it plays. Once that's done, we can shelve it or continue on as availability and interest dictate. It will almost certainly have a casual play rate (one DM turn every 1-1.5 weeks), therefore you'll have to forgive the referee for organizing play around moving action along significantly each turn.

Here's what I have so far for the broad interpretation, which might change:
THE STARTING ACTION
Townowi System [based on "Aquilae" of the 1973 "Journal of the Whills"]: An eerie blue-green planet with a gargantuan space fortress in orbit. It is a planet of adventure: wastelands, wilderness plains with large roaming beasts, extreme storms, and ancient religious temple ruins. The planet was a feudal monarchy before Imperial control, with royalist rebels waging a piecemeal guerrilla war, striking from hidden bases and wilderness encampments. Imperial patrols are stationed all over the planet at desolate rest stops.

THE FORCE OF OTHERS
"Ashla" = Law
"Nogas" = Neutrality
"Bogan" = Chaos

The Jedi Bendu of Ashla are Lawful Fighter-Clerics (but with MU spells). From 1st through 6th level as a cleric, Jedi are Padawan Learners, who may not take henchmen and may advance in level only under the tutelage of a master (at least 7th level and 3+ levels above the Padawan). Upon being granted 7th level they become full Jedi Bendu and may advance on their own.

Dark Knights of Sith are Chaotic/Bogan Fighter-Clerics of the same variety as Jedi, but much more organized. From 1st through 3rd level as fighters they are Lettow in training (no henchmen); the Legions of Lettow are extremely plentiful compared to the other orders. After reaching hero status, they are knighted and join the ranks of the Sith. There are many Sith Lords, but the most feared are the Sith One Hundred, a select group of Lords who act as the personal paladins of the Master of the Bogan; they are led by the First Knight of the Sith.

The Dai Nogas are Neutral Cleric-Magic Users. They cannot go higher than 6th level as clerics, but may advance normally as magic-users. Those under their maximum level as clerics are considered Juwo, cannot take henchmen, and may only advance under the tutelage of a full Dai Nogas master.
Last edited by Starbeard on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Rex »

Looks very cool, I am in if you will have me.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#476 Post by tristenc »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 am
tristenc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:48 pm @Rex and @cybersavant
Let me know if either of you would be interested in this Witcher game ^_^
not on Discord
Ok, I'll see if she is willing to run it here. She has never played on a pbp website like this so i'm not sure she would but I'll ask

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Starbeard »

Rex wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm Looks very cool, I am in if you will have me.
Absolutely, I'd love to have you in the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Rex »

Thanks.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#479 Post by Leitz »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm For rules, the plan is quite literally to play Chainmail and the D&D draft as-is, but swords will be laserswords, crossbows will be blasters, clerics will be Jedi, and we'll be riding gigantic ostriches and jetsticks on alien planets, Flash Gordon and John Carter style.
This mechanic can play out pretty cool, check out how Scarik does it. The first post under "Rules Updates" has his link to the rules, too.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#480 Post by Dicey »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Assuming I can get 2-4 players invested, in May I'm planning to start a Star Wars game, with a twist, in commemoration of the (late) 50th anniversaries of the conceptual drafts for both D&D and Star Wars. Yes, we will use the 1973 draft of D&D to play a game based on the 1973-1974 drafts of Star Wars.
Try this I would Mr. Starbeard!

Return to “Looking for players or games”