OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #46 "Slaying Dragon Slayers"

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brave New World
Whereabouts Unknown
???/Cold

Trying to look through the tiny crack between the hatch door and the wooden frame proves impossible, as the door won't rise any further. Tlachtga does notice the light of day peeking through the thin gap however, despite being unsure why they can't push it up any further. This hatch is clearly blocked by something from up above.

Actions?

Lerrick: (C5) AC:5 28/28 5/5 first 5/5 second 2/2 third (Light Stone)
Tlachtga (D5) AC:7 35/35 6/6 first 5/5 second 3/3 third (Light Stone)
Princess AC:6 HP 5/5 ???
Cresty: (F3) AC:4 26/26
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 30/30 5/5 first 4/4 second
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 6/6 first 5/5 second 3/3 third 1/1 fourth

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"There's probably a wardrove or some piece of furniture blocking the hatch. It's probably pretty hard for anyone to force it open. A person climbing outside the tower could give a try, but with everything covered with slippery snow I doubt it's feasible.

But if what I say it's true, it could mean someone's there. Try knocking, maybe?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"I can see day light through the crack so it most likely opens outside on the roof. Thanks Cresty, but we probably should head back down to the others I don't want to make so much noise we draw the attention of the dragon just yet."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

The lack of jubilant noises from above suggests that staying below is just as productive, so she will find a place to sit and await the return of the upstairs people.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Well," says Wes, when he hears of the stubborn trapdoor. "I'm sure we can think of several ways to get through that door if we really have to. But for now we still have the door down here".

Wes walks across to the door. He inspects it for a moment, looking for anything suspicious. He gestures to everyone that he's about to try and open it and gives them a few moments to get into position. Then he slowly turns the handle to open it enough to peek out.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by kruk »

Lerrick

The cleric equips her mace and moves to the door with Wes, walking a few paces behind him. As Wes attempts to open the door Lerrick stands ready to offer aid if anything unpleasant happens.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel also follows Wes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#89 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brave New World
Whereabouts Unknown
???/Cold

Leaving the stuck door to the upper floor alone, Wes opens the icy front door to discover a winter landscape of old broken towers and stone ruins as far as the eye can see.
IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg (165.63 KiB) Viewed 154 times
IMG_2049.jpeg
IMG_2049.jpeg (156.19 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Most of the surrounding landscape appears to be in complete disarray, and no sign of life in this frozen former metropolis is detected at first view. All of the nearby wizards towers seem to be in utter ruin.

IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2050.jpeg (154.13 KiB) Viewed 154 times

The bite of the frigid breeze that blows through the open doorway makes the druid glad for his magic ring and heavy clothing, silently wondering how anyone could have lived in these conditions.

Off in the distance, beyond the ruins of the many towers, stands a lonely mountain. A once well used path is now barely detectable through the hoarfrost covered lands, winding precariously towards a glowing entrance not far enough away.
IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg (161.08 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Actions?

Princess AC:6 HP 5/5 ???

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"As we advance lets try to keep close to places we can gain cover if need be. Ruins, rock outcroppings, whatever we can find. Hopefully it is unaware we approach but if it is aware, we need to be able to find cover quickly."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"Good idea. Let's go." The elven cleric will be alert, looking at her surroundings, and the sky, at all times.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"You know," says Wes, "The Shalm has given me the gift to Predict Weather. I don't think I'll be using that gift today".

He turns to Tlachtga. "I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to miss the sight of trees".

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"Winter has its time and I long for it on the island sometimes. It too feels like a season less place to me and thus unnatural. But here also feels unnatural, as if winter is the only season, a place of desolation instead of hibernation. Perhaps with the passing of the great winter wyrm it will begin to return to its normal cycle."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

"Wow. This place must have been something to see in its heyday. A bustling city of mages. Do you suppose anything is left?"

She tightens her coat and looks around at the nearby towers. "Surely it's been picked to the bone by scavengers." The Princess says this, but can't help looking at the nearby entrances for signs of remaining treasures.

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by kruk »

Cresty

The fighter pauses for a moment to take the scenery all in, takes a deep breath and exhales quickly. Let's do this! <stated in an authoritative voice.

Lerrick

The cleric adjusts a strap on her coat and checks to see if the ring of warmth is secure on her fingers, then nods to the others that she is ready to proceed was well.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brave New World
Whereabouts Unknown
???/Cold

Bundled up tightly in their warm clothes and magical aids, the party presses forward to find and kill this dragon.

They realize quickly that they wouldn't survive long in these conditions if it weren't for the gifts bestowed upon them by the strange King who they’ve just met.

Moving further away from the former civilized areas, Princess looks around at the ruins as Tlachga guides them through these rubble strewn frozen lands. Without entering some of the tattered buildings, there is no way of telling if anything valuable was left behind after the exodus that clearly emptied this once thriving metropolis.

After an hour of hiking through the knee deep snow, the group arrives at the base of the mountain, hopefully unseen. Once there, they spot an entrance that must lead into the lair they seek. If their encounter with this dragon is as pleasant as its surroundings, they can expect little in the way of welcome here.
IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg (161.08 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Beyond a precarious looking stone bridge lies the gaping mouth of a frightening huge cave entrance. :?
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg (102.53 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Actions?

Princess AC:6 HP 5/5

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"I don't want to get trapped out on that bridge. Should we scout ahead somehow?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

"Good idea. But how?" She looks around at the lack of options and cover. "Unless we wait until dark, I think some sort of invisibility is our option. And hope that the Dragon doesn't see through it."

She suddenly remembers something. "Oh, yeah. The Princess's name is Daisy, and her two brothers have already been killed by dragons in the King's relentless quest. There is the possibility that we are on the wrong side of things here." The Princess smiles. "Ignoring the aggressive and evil dragons, of course."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"Seeing how it looks here it is hard to imagine we are on the wrong side by killing the dragon, but the King is clearly obsessed to the point of insanity. Complicated dealing, we must be extra careful here."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes raises his eyebrows. "I hadn't considered that the king may be playing us falsely".

"As for the bridge, I see two problems: firstly, it might be trapped or just in poor condition. Tlatchga and I both have gifts of magic that can Detect Snares and such. That ought to help at least".

"Second, is the problem of scouting ahead.
For that, we need the favor of Obad Hai".

"Look around you",
says Wes, waving his arm. "As bleak as this place looks, there'll be animals out there: hunter and prey. Obad Hai sees to that. I'm going to try and find one. Ask it to do a little scouting for us, across the bridge and back, at least give us an idea of what's over there".

Wes falls to his knees in the snow. "I'm going to ask the blessing of The Shalm. Those of you that wish may bow your heads for a moment."

"Obad Hai! Greatest of all Hunters. Even amid this frozen desolation , the Great Game goes on. Perhaps in its highest form. Only the most skillful prey could hide in this white land! And only the most cunning hunters could find them!"

"Bless me, Shalm! Give your faithful servant the cunning to seek and find in this bleak land".

Wes rises to his feet. "I'm going to look for any sign of animals nearby. Perhaps a couple of you should come too, in case something big finds me first".

Wes has the Hunter secondary skill.

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”