Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

Spearmint
Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

#341 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn will remain hidden behind the curtain of the alcove. He takes his hand crossbow and a dagger at the ready if things goes south.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Spearmint »

He takes his hand crossbow and a dagger at the ready if things goes south.
Roll any Surprise backstab attempt, I will resolve that in the update.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#343 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

gonna use the easter egg so -1 egg

dagger surprise backstab [1d20+8]=19+8=27 for [1d4]=3 damage

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#344 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum waves as an alert to Sigrid and Sundance that a fight seems imminent. He moves ahead to close the distance between him and the closest robed figure.

OOC: Sorry for holding up the game. I came down with a terrible case of strep throat last week.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#345 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid gives Sundance a quick glance after noting Rum's motions, "Sounds like trouble is ahead," she says to the other mage and starts cautiously towards Rum.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Mongrelmen Crypts

The trio of hooded acolytes intone an eerie and intense hum, a few chanted verses of unholy scriptures following somatic gestures the lead figure does with his profane symbol held before him.

Drawn to investigate the light and noise cast by the adventurers in the adjoining corridor, they sneak themselves to peer around the corner, wary and cautious of who approaches.

The lead figure spies Rum, Sigrid & Sundance who have remained in the corridor rather than braving entrance into a side crypt.

"Tomb Robbers. A dwarf and two wenches!" he exclaims to the man behind.

Necrolyte reactions [1d100]=27

His verbalised intent and manner does not infer he means to parlay amicably.

Necrolyte: Sigrid or Sundance [1d2]=1

"Come forward my dear. You have painted
yourself with tribal fierceness, yet we mean no harm."
He gestures towards Sigrid who has various acruments of feathers and war painted streaks about her personhood. The priest gestures and causes some confusion in your mental grasp to passively obey his 'come hither' request.

With the last of the trio waiting in the shadows against the lower wall, once he gets to the curtain and within grasp of a surprise ambush, Veryn strikes. He grabs the figure from behind by the neck, pulling him towards the alcove and stabs him in the spine. Favouring a short blade over the broadsword, he can make critical wounds of double damage aided by the EE use, -14hp. The acolyte jerks in death throes in his grasp and then the scene moves to a definitive encounter.

Actions, Sigrid make a Save vs Spells, wisdom modified, please. Fail and approach the acolyte passively, succeed and act with your own volition.
Remember you can use the Easter Egg +4 bonus;

Actions Rum & Veryn

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#347 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

That's a lot of damage. First question, how do you count the backstab damage? Because if i follow the book, my dagger damage for the acolyte should be only 6 damage
Second, does the other two notice me?
Third, does the acolyte who put a charm on Sigrid concentrating on his spell?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Spearmint »

That's a lot of damage. First question, how do you count the backstab damage?
I accounted the 27 rolled (natural 19+8, 4 from surprise, 4 from easter egg) to resolve as a Critical hit. So criticals gain a max weapon damage bonus (4hp) plus the score rolled, (3hp), doubled for backstab thief skill = 14.

Yes, the other two notice you as you are just a few feet away. Perhaps narrating "I would like to pull my victim into the alcove silently as I throttle and back stab him" or even use a garrotte to ambush him then I might resolve that as a possibility, perhaps vs a Move Silently check alongside the attack.

Spells are cast and activated but not usually maintained by concentration (Illusionist or visual spells aside).

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#349 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid grins, baring her teeth and then licking her lips as she speaks in her native tongue, "Ek er thin ok thu er mi", then she runs one hand over her hips, before continuing in Common, "I will wait here for you my dear. But first stop your friends from hurting my companions."

Casting Charm Person on the man.

Save vs. Spells (12) with Easter Egg(+4): [1d20]=12+4

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#350 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum charges at the closest hooded acolyte and attacks with his battleaxe.

Battleaxe +1 melee w/trinket: [1d20+6]=17+6=23 damage [1d8+6]=7+6=13 Shield Bash [1d20+5]=14+5=19

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#351 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn
Rum, isn't the closest hooded acolyte is the one Sigrid tries to charm?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Spearmint »

I am allocating his attack on the second figure.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#353 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn tries to sneak up on the acolyte on the back, maybe too confidently as his presence is already out in the open, and if Rum's axe does not kill him. Veryn would like coerce the acolyte to surrender as he press the already bloodied dagger fulier (center of the blade), not the tip to his neck.

"Don't even say a word. Just kneel down with your hands up."

If the acolyte did not comply, Veryn will slice him with his dagger.

Veryn sneaking up quietly vs 15% [1d100]=95

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#354 Post by Craigers07 »

Kenjosephus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 pm Veryn
Rum, isn't the closest hooded acolyte is the one Sigrid tries to charm?
OOC: Yes, I see that now. Let's make it the 2nd closest per your suggestion Spearmint.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Mongrelmen Crypts.

The ambush sufficient to surprise one acolyte, Veryn tosses the body aside emerging from behind the curtain to put his blade menacingly into the jugular of the next hooded man. The man freezes in place, meekly dropping the mace he holds but then before his surrender is taken, a dwarven hack with the Mongrelman Champions enchanted battle from Rum literally carves him in twain as easily as splitting a log for firewood. -13hp.

Sigrid, shakes off the mental grasp of the senior, invoking her own enticements. She breaks through his resistance, demolishing his invoked Sanctuary spell and coerces him with her mage and feminine charms.

Sigrid: 12+ Save vs Sanctuary spell. [1d20]=13

Acolyte: 14+ save vs Charm Person [1d20]=2

Aghast at the brutal slaying of his companions, the man appeals to the mage's advocacy, "No harm, I meant no harm. Blood for the blood god, each death adds to a demon's defilement. Mercy, Mistress, stay your assassins." he says.

Whilst reluctant to just surrender, he probably has little choice, the Charm affecting him to favour Sigrid as a trusted ally. He jabbers a little incoherently, figuring that the group must be guided by some divine instructions to wreak havoc upon them, perhaps for their lack of faith and devotion.

Actions Sigrid, Veryn & Rum please

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#356 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Blood splattered to some of Veryn's cloak, causing him to step back and lower his dagger

Jeepers, that is a strike.

He will bring what remains of the cut acolyte to the alcove of where he was to loot his and the previous acolyte belongings, but not before he address Mistress Sigrid formally while hiding his sarcastic remark to keep up with the charade towards the senior acolyte

Mistress, it is perhaps the best to give this man a chance to redeem himself by tell us everything regarding the full layout of this crypt and his leader. Perhaps if what he said is true, the gods will give him mercy.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#357 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid waves her hands, making the tattoos etched upon her flesh almost appear to move on her arms, indicating to her assassins that it is done, "Spare them for now, till they prove their true worth at least. Speak your answers and seek your redemption. Tell us the words of truth burning upon your heart."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Spearmint »

editing here next over coffee, just a moment ...

Charmed priest:

Attachments
IMG_20240422_135854.jpg
IMG_20240422_135854.jpg (243.75 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the 'Mongrelman' crypts.

The encounter is swift and brutal. Brought to an abrupt end with a cleaving strike and some silver-tongued coercion. The dire priest surrenders himself to the mercies of Sigrid, imploring her to spare his life and "Spare yours also, for the hierarchs will rage over this bloodshed and surely demand retribution upon you. Your assassins make walk again in undead servitude but surely your soul will go to the Abyss for judgement. Mine too no doubt for counseling you, an eternity of Lemurehood awaits."

He talks as others gather. He despises the Mongrelmen with you who delight in his capture, taunting him. Callan keeps guard lest the zombie horde in the side chapel flood out. Sundance helps Rum & Veryn drag the body and two halves into a curtained alcove.

"Mistress, it is perhaps the best to give this man a chance to redeem himself by tell us everything regarding the full layout of this crypt and his leader. Perhaps if what he said is true, the gods will give him mercy." Veryn insists on some information. The priest gestures to the westernmost crypt, "Our quarters. A humble abode for us servants. That way, the Master." he points to the east beyond the rubble strewn corridor.

"We should retreat. It is best for you and I will speak not this bloodshed save to say the zombies craved and fed upon them." he refers to his two dead comrades.

The corridors are so far quiet, no other disturbance interrupts your exploration. Rather than stay standing in the junction of corridors, you can move to another crypt, the priest's own quarters or one of the side ones bypassed in the vertical passage.

actions and rolls please any search of an alcove needs a [1d8]

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#360 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn search the alcove as well as the two dead acolyte for goods.

Tell us about your master, of what you know and heard about him, rumours or not. Also, how many are of its servants, excluding the two we put down and you.

Veryn suggest to retreat as the acolyte suggest, perhaps checking out the side doors first after the acolyte answers his question, which may or may not affect his decision.

alcove search [1d8]=2

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”