Discussion (out of character thread)

scarik
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#361 Post by Leitz »

Obviously more arms and armor are on the shopping list. Drotik and Hemia are only Decently armed, needing a 6+ for these spiders. Most everyone in Ji-ho's troop need bows or similar.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Leitz »

Last round Bofur did 2 subdual and Ji-ho's troop did 2 hits and 1 subdual. This round Ji-ho's people did 5 hits. My guess is Bofur will do at least one good hit, maybe two, and Gurav's folks will contribute. That should finish off the spiders. The only real risk is if Darfilla gets spooked and blows us all up.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Leitz »

scarik will correct me if I'm wrong, so don't take this as gospel. However, with Bofur's 3 HD, if we take the first roll, that means you scored the hit (that final 6 in 4+3+6) that will kill one of the spiders! Don't forget that Balin (1 HD) and Dwalin (2 HD) can jump in as well. I think the spiders are just 4 HD, but overkill can be a fun lifestyle choice. ;)

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#364 Post by scarik »

I'll be home tomorrow and catch up. Spotty signal at the present.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by scarik »

That will do it for this dungeon.

I am working up the treasure now.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#366 Post by scarik »

The treasure specifics are in the Treasure! thread (viewtopic.php?p=700577#p700577). Its a fortune by any standards.

Treasure Value: 26,976p ~112£ of which you would owe 112 shillings to the Margrave.
Monster XP: 7750 2 Giant, 21 Huge, 43 Large
Quest XP: 5000 for clearing out your first Dwarfhold.

Total: 39726

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Leitz »

Nice! I'm working on the shares code now, and will post it for your review first, scarik. The last time I posted before peer review, it was way wrong. :(

Ji-ho, or Si-woo if Jh fails his poison save, will ask Gurav to inspect the jewellery and gems. For anything that is special to Gurav or his people, Jh would offer first right of purchase. While Gurav probably doesn't have that much on him right now, Jh would still hand whatever it was over. It's good to work with dwarves.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#368 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:45 pm Nice! I'm working on the shares code now, and will post it for your review first, scarik. The last time I posted before peer review, it was way wrong. :(

Ji-ho, or Si-woo if Jh fails his poison save, will ask Gurav to inspect the jewellery and gems. For anything that is special to Gurav or his people, Jh would offer first right of purchase. While Gurav probably doesn't have that much on him right now, Jh would still hand whatever it was over. It's good to work with dwarves.
It was rolled randomly but it just so happens that a gold crown, platinum pendant and platinum ring were found. Those things all map directly to Dwarven status symbols if you recall the different pendants and bracers of Gurav's party when you first met.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Leitz »

scarik wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:13 pm
Leitz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:45 pm Ji-ho, or Si-woo if Jh fails his poison save, will ask Gurav to inspect the jewellery and gems. For anything that is special to Gurav or his people, Jh would offer first right of purchase. While Gurav probably doesn't have that much on him right now, Jh would still hand whatever it was over. It's good to work with dwarves.
It was rolled randomly but it just so happens that a gold crown, platinum pendant and platinum ring were found. Those things all map directly to Dwarven status symbols if you recall the different pendants and bracers of Gurav's party when you first met.
Yup. Ji-ho doesn't know Dwarven culture enough to understand what they mean, only that they mean something. Offering Gurav first rights shows respect and a continued willingness to work together.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#370 Post by scarik »

Bofur will recognize the status of the jewels of course. They are no mere Holdthane's, but from a royal treasury.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#371 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur would start drooling over the sight of these gems.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Leitz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:28 pm Bofur would start drooling over the sight of these gems.
:D To date the policy is "even shares", with no concern with how you get your share. I've asked scarik to check my math since it's been way off before. If I'm right, Bofur would have the cash to get the big 1,000p one as well as one or two of the 500p ones. If his cousins pitched in they could get a few more.

The only real limit, besides shares, is that we give Gurav first rights to by anything from his kin that we find. He pays good cash, and it's always good for the party.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#373 Post by scarik »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:28 pm Bofur would start drooling over the sight of these gems.
Can't see any reason people would object to Bofur preferring some of the gems. If anything the humans prefer coin since they aren't themselves all that familiar with the true value of the gemstones and its hard to exchange them for coin in Borderton. Dwarves of course are quite familiar with gems as currency and freely trade them for their true value with each other.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#374 Post by scarik »

Barnaby has been moved to inactive.

So far it looks like you will receive enough XP to level all the PCs up to Level 4. NPCs will only gain a single level, though you may train them if you like in the coming down time. This is your last adventure of the year since you will want to rest, refit and possibly take control of the now cleared fort. It can be expensive to claim land but all active PCs are welcome to a share if they wish to contribute.

Level 4 is a big deal for Fighters as you become Heroic. People will immediately recognize this about you and treat you accordingly (and you get +1 to a lot of rolls).

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#375 Post by scarik »

New player incoming. Leitz and I have both played with him before many years back. He'll be adding a new Fighter to the story so I hope you will take what you have learned so far to be more proactive and aggressive with your goals. :D

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Leitz »

Yup, it'll be fun!

Does Gurav think the layout of the rest of the watchforts is the same as ours?

Fighting Man
Squire
Squire

#377 Post by Fighting Man »

Hello! I'm the new player, you can pretty much guess what I'm aiming for. My main concern is how I'll fit in with the group, since I don't want to ruin a good thing.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Leitz »

Your presence is good, we can build from there. :)

Some folks might balk at the hierarchy, they aren't used to PCs working for PCs. In this case, an NPC dwarf named Gurav hired my character (Jing Ji-ho) to put together a team. My character reports to Gurav, everyone else but Gurav's kin report to my character. Meta game, PCs get a full share, level 1+ NPCs get half a share, and level 0 NPCs get a quarter share. Your PC will (Probably?) start out at 4th level. If you're a fighter, that's fine. We use military drill to prepare and keep everyone alive, and can fit you in easily. We have several other character classes represented, so no worries there, either.

scarik will help bring you in, and if you want to skim the stories so far it may give you some ideas for connecting to the group. One of my PC's henchmen is heading east on a side quest, and you could hear tales of the group from him. My character is from Dongbuyeo, and the game is set in "sort of" late 13th C Austria-Hungary. Or you could come from someplace else, up to you.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#379 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am Yup, it'll be fun!

Does Gurav think the layout of the rest of the watchforts is the same as ours?
If you think the DM is lazy enough to reuse the map and claim its because the Lawful, rigid-thinking Dawi who built these forts would stick to a plan then you are correct. :biggrin:
Fighting Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm Hello! I'm the new player, you can pretty much guess what I'm aiming for. My main concern is how I'll fit in with the group, since I don't want to ruin a good thing.
Welcome aboard. You are just in time for some downtime to refit and handle some minor work.

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#380 Post by roobeastie »

Fighting Man wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm Hello! I'm the new player, you can pretty much guess what I'm aiming for. My main concern is how I'll fit in with the group, since I don't want to ruin a good thing.
Hallo! I play Morwen, the Ravenfolk Necromancer. Morwen understands that her presence can be unsettling, and mostly keeps to herself since she doesn't want to creep people out. She has a Ravenfolk bodyguard named Macnav, and a Ravenfolk apprentice named Cuivne.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”