New Year, New Faces, New Troubles

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: New Year, New Faces, New Troubles

#21 Post by hedgeknight »

At the Elfstone Tavern...

"My name's Talian," the woman says, looking at the trio for a reply. "What is this place?"

The Tabaxi smiles > just a warm place for friends to gather. im TommyD'Cat. pull yer chair closer we dont bite.
well, thats mostly true but we're also almost civilized.

He makes a space for the woman. just got in to town?

The woman nods and takes a seat, her back away from the door. "I've been in town for a couple of days. I can't say I like it. Too crowded."

Keyla returns with a bowl for Lesh, who looks at Talian and tries to smile. "What'll you have, hon?" she asks the newcomer.

Ambergris, with hooked hand raised, gives Lesh a sideways glance and then focuses on Talian.
"For Dendar's sake, don't offer the Sauron a chance to kiss your hand in greeting ..." he jests telepathically.

The woman jumps up from her seat, knocking her chair over and sloshing Lesh's bowl of tea. Her right hand hovers over a large knife at her belt, it's hilt fashioned from some type of deer antler. Her eyes are wide and she looks around the tavern. Some patrons glance her way, but most are too busy feeding their faces to really pay her any attention.
"Did...did you hear that? It was like..."
She swallows hard, her breathing coming in gasps. "Are there...spirits in this place?"

At a dock in Twin Songs...

"I will not forget that Flint character anytime soon," Telurion snarls. "He can pray not to cross my path ever again, or he will pay dearly for this."
Trueshot does not reply, but instead sends an arrow zipping toward the barge. It thunks into a crate very near Flint's back, who wheels and laughs, giving the archer the one-finger salute.
As Trueshot is readying another arrow, Yarl, Hazm, and Diamond Urchin arrive at the dock.
"I want that fucker," Diamond Urchin growls, her hands clenched into fists...similar to Telurion. She turns to face the newcomer and points a pudgy ring-covered finger up at him. "Who you be? And why did ye try to blow up me warehouse?" she asks Telurion.
Winter is coming...

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion
hedgeknight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm"I will not forget that Flint character anytime soon," Telurion snarls. "He can pray not to cross my path ever again, or he will pay dearly for this."
Trueshot does not reply, but instead sends an arrow zipping toward the barge. It thunks into a crate very near Flint's back, who wheels and laughs, giving the archer the one-finger salute.
As Trueshot is readying another arrow, Yarl, Hazm, and Diamond Urchin arrive at the dock.
"I want that fucker," Diamond Urchin growls, her hands clenched into fists...similar to Telurion. She turns to face the newcomer and points a pudgy ring-covered finger up at him. "Who you be? And why did ye try to blow up me warehouse?" she asks Telurion.
"Name is Telurion" - the man nodded - "And I was duped by that bastard Flint" - he growled - "In exchange for the passage, I worked the barge, and it was also agreed I would help with loading and unloading. Now I understand why"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Smirks and winks at Tommy & Lesh.

"A Banshee haunts this place. Truly I speak. A fey maiden, forlorn of a love, lost at sea. She sings as a siren to tempt the foolish to surf the waves against Fates tempest.

Her voice sweet and melodious, causing even the most bloodthirsty cutthroat to doff his Tricorn to her calypso calls."

He explains some legend to the Elfsong tavern to Talian then standing and doffing his cap to begin to croon some sonorous 'deep speech' melody.

"Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow:
O my heart, O my heart shies from the sorrow"

I'm as puzzled as the new born child
I'm as troubled as the tide:
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Should I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing, "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you"

Ambergris charisma vs 17 [1d20]=7

Not quite the Elf-songstress's haunting quality, but it brings a tear to his own eyes and no doubt, in his less than melodious crooner style, tears in others too.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Computer +1 »

Edeldhur wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 pm Telurion
hedgeknight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm"I will not forget that Flint character anytime soon," Telurion snarls. "He can pray not to cross my path ever again, or he will pay dearly for this."
"Name is Telurion" - the man nodded - "And I was duped by that bastard Flint" - he growled - "In exchange for the passage, I worked the barge, and it was also agreed I would help with loading and unloading. Now I understand why"
Yarl arrives in a foul mood. He is glad that everyone appears unharmed but it doesn't lighten his anger. When Diamond questions the man, Telurion, Yarl moves to back her up and gets ready to kill him.
He looks to Diamond to see if she believes the guys explanation but it doesn't seem like a great idea to bring a bomb on a dock yerself. Its unlikely this guy knew what was going on.

Ah, this fucker was almost blown up same as True. Doubt he was in on it...

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion

The aggressive posture from the newly arrived scarred one is not lost on Telurion - he furrows his brow, changes his stance and drops his hand to his blade.
Computer +1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pmAh, this fucker was almost blown up same as True. Doubt he was in on it...
"I already said I was not" - he grunted - "And my name is Telurion - and only my friends get to call me 'fucker', or at least those who buy me a drink"

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Computer +1 »

Edeldhur wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm Telurion

The aggressive posture from the newly arrived scarred one is not lost on Telurion - he furrows his brow, changes his stance and drops his hand to his blade.
Computer +1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pmAh, this fucker was almost blown up same as True. Doubt he was in on it...
"I already said I was not" - he grunted - "And my name is Telurion - and only my friends get to call me 'fucker', or at least those who buy me a drink"
Yarl snorts out a laugh which breaks the tension in his body for a moment. If I bought every fucker I called a fucker a drink I'd be the brokest man in the world.
His gaze falls back on Diamond. Who is this Flint's boss?

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Belkregos »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:41 pm Ambergris

Smirks and winks at Tommy & Lesh.

"A Banshee haunts this place. Truly I speak. A fey maiden, forlorn of a love, lost at sea. She sings as a siren to tempt the foolish to surf the waves against Fates tempest.

Her voice sweet and melodious, causing even the most bloodthirsty cutthroat to doff his Tricorn to her calypso calls."

He explains some legend to the Elfsong tavern to Talian then standing and doffing his cap to begin to croon some sonorous 'deep speech' melody.

Ambergris charisma vs 17 [1d20]=7

Not quite the Elf-songstress's haunting quality, but it brings a tear to his own eyes and no doubt, in his less than melodious crooner style, tears in others too.
Tommy
but thats at the elfsong, theres also the undead under the city but we should be fine here,

what bring you to the city?
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by hedgeknight »

"Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow:
O my heart, O my heart shies from the sorrow"

I'm as puzzled as the new born child
I'm as troubled as the tide:
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Should I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing, "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you"

While Ambergris sings, the young barbarian woman stands enraptured, as do many of the regulars in the tavern. At the end of his song, there are tears in many eyes and then a brief moment of silence is broken by cheers and huzzahs. Keyla claps her hands, sniffing, and brings the old captain a foaming mug of beer.
"Why, that may just spur the Elf maiden into appearing," Keyla gushes, wiping her face with her apron.
When Tommy asks Talian why she is here, she has to jerk herself away from Ambergris to say, "Just...getting away from...well, just exploring the Realms. New adventures and all!"

Willow Brownbug, the Halfling apothecary friend of Lesh, raises his own mug in salute to Ambergris. "Mighty fine, captain. Mighty fine indeed. No doubt yer drinks here will be on the house fer a spell."

200 XP for Ambergris!
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by hedgeknight »

hedgeknight wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm "I want that fucker," Diamond Urchin growls, her hands clenched into fists...similar to Telurion. She turns to face the newcomer and points a pudgy ring-covered finger up at him. "Who you be? And why did ye try to blow up me warehouse?" she asks Telurion.
"Name is Telurion" - the man nodded - "And I was duped by that bastard Flint" - he growled - "In exchange for the passage, I worked the barge, and it was also agreed I would help with loading and unloading. Now I understand why."

This doesn't satisfy Diamond Urchin whose fists are clenched and eyes ablaze. She is about to say something else when Yarl cuts in.
Ah, this fucker was almost blown up same as True. Doubt he was in on it...
"I already said I was not" - he grunted - "And my name is Telurion - and only my friends get to call me 'fucker', or at least those who buy me a drink."
Yarl snorts out a laugh which breaks the tension in his body for a moment. If I bought every fucker I called a fucker a drink I'd be the brokest man in the world.
His gaze falls back on Diamond. Who is this Flint's boss?
Diamond Urchin continues to watch the barge as it disappears into the perpetual foggy harbor of the city. "A mean sumbitch who goes by the name of The Bottom Feeder. 'Cause he'll send yer ass to the bottom of the river to feed the crabs if ya cross him."

Diamond looks at Yarl and Hazm and then at the newcomer Telurion. "Why don't ya go and keep an eye on Flint fer me? See what he's really up to in the city, eh? Telurion is it? Ya want to earn some coin and get back in me good graces fer trying to blow up me warehouse?" she says, jingling a coin purse on her belt. "I can hear yer belly growling. Ya hungry?"
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Hazm

Hazm looks to Yarl to see if he is on board with tailing Flint.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Undead, the walking plague. We helped cleanse the Hospital from the horde. But the grave is an open throat never satisfied and it regurgitates that which it cannot swallow. "

He glugs an extra big swig of ale, probably half choking himself and getting a nearby patron to heavily pat his back.

"As discreet wardens of the city we should root out the dire and diabolic cause and put it to rest once and for all. The Flaming Fist are flaming useless.

Doesn't some Lordling owe us a favour or two. We could rake in a commission and earn some upper city kudos rather than be stuck festering in these lowly dockside hovels, Elfsong aside of course."

The whaler feels restless from having no distinct 'reason d'etre', "there is a 'white whale' out there that needs tonguing." he says, refering to the overarching diabolical schemes that seek control over Baldur's Gate.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Edeldhur »

Telurion
hedgeknight wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:36 pmDiamond looks at Yarl and Hazm and then at the newcomer Telurion. "Why don't ya go and keep an eye on Flint fer me? See what he's really up to in the city, eh? Telurion is it? Ya want to earn some coin and get back in me good graces fer trying to blow up me warehouse?" she says, jingling a coin purse on her belt. "I can hear yer belly growling. Ya hungry?"
"I will not pass on a chance to get back at that Flint character" - Telurion nodded - "And some food sounds great"

Tell
Guide
Guide

#33 Post by Tell »

Lesh

He curiously studies the reaction Hook Hand's song evokes on the others and shares a quick look with Big Cat before returning his attention to the newcomer. OOC: Did he notice anything unusual with his perception check on Talian as she entered ?
"Undead, the walking plague. We helped cleanse the Hospital from the horde. But the grave is an open throat never satisfied and it regurgitates that which it cannot swallow....there is a 'white whale' out there that needs tonguing."
Lesh curses in his native tongue at the mention of the undead producing sounds like a variety of chirps, growls, and clicking sounds, 'ka-ka-ka..." At the mention of a "white whale" he looks confused but having built a level of trust with the old sea captain he does not interject but signs to Keyla for a new bowl of tea.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by hedgeknight »

Tell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm He curiously studies the reaction Hook Hand's song evokes on the others and shares a quick look with Big Cat before returning his attention to the newcomer. OOC: Did he notice anything unusual with his perception check on Talian as she entered ?
Yes, he did. I totally forgot about it. :oops:

Lesh studies the young woman, Talian, for a couple of minutes. She is a barbarian of sorts, by her dress and make up. She also has dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep perhaps, or from...fear. She is running from something, he's sure of it! But what? And why did she come here of all places? Baldur's Gate is anything but a safe place.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:26 pm
When Tommy asks Talian why she is here, she has to jerk herself away from Ambergris to say, "Just...getting away from...well, just exploring the Realms. New adventures and all!"

200 XP for Ambergris!
Tommy nods

yea, we're all running from something,
thought i must say, running in to baldurs gate might be like jumping from the frying pan in to the fire
i mean there might be better places starting to exploring the realms at baldurs gate but, here we are and it is what it is
might as well make the best of it, it all comes due eventually
And! as you might have noticed, once in a while the captain gets a wind of inspiration

he takes another sip from his cup
besides the issues with the dead three there's been a gang war so its just a normal day in baldurs gate
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl looks back at Hazm and shrugs his large shoulders. Where does that cunt Flint usually call in to? Which port? he asks to Diamond and the new guy Telurion. Me an' Hazm can take a peek but I aint exactly the most inconspicuous type these days. says Yarl, inwardly pleased to drop such a big word in. He may not have ever been to school but he isn't dumb. Some of the words that he has heard Lady Wen use have stuck in his brain. "What a woman" he thinks to himself while picturing Wen fighting in her armor and also imagining her in much less clothing...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

Hazm

"Maybe I can go in any taverns or inns and you cover me from just outside?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris
And! as you might have noticed, once in a while the captain gets a wind of inspiration
Has a last scratch, release a lord exhalation of flatulence.
jumping from the frying pan in to the fire
"Frying pans and fire. Of course. Sausages and eggs for breakfast wasn't it, perhaps a kipper or two?"

He goes back to the first conversation. He makes room on his table, drawing a chair for the young woman and his furry and scaly comrades.

"8.00 O'clock. We do our killing after breakfast."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by hedgeknight »

In the City, Oh-Oh!
Ambergris begins to regale the Talian with adventures done and yet to be done.
"Undead, the walking plague. We helped cleanse the Hospital from the horde. But the grave is an open throat never satisfied and it regurgitates that which it cannot swallow."
Lesh curses in his native tongue, which sounds like 'ka-ka-ka..."
"The grave awaits us all," Willow Brownbug murmurs. "For some it is the watery grave of the deep, for others it is a hole of mud and worms."
Talian shudders and says, "For others, for me perhaps, it is a pyre for my bones."

Ambergris glugs an extra big swig of ale, probably half choking himself and getting a nearby patron to heavily pat his back.
"As discreet wardens of the city we should root out the dire and diabolic cause and put it to rest once and for all. The Flaming Fist are flaming useless. Doesn't some Lordling owe us a favour or two. We could rake in a commission and earn some upper city kudos rather than be stuck festering in these lowly dockside hovels, Elfsong aside of course."
"No offense taken from you, my loose lipped captain," Keyla says as she passes by on her way to another table of patrons.
"You...treat with Lords and Ladies?" Talian asks, her eyes wide with surprise.

The whaler feels restless from having no distinct 'reason d'etre', "there is a 'white whale' out there that needs tonguing."
Lesh cocks his head and then gets Keyla's attention for another bowl of tea.
"A what? whale? what is that?"
Talian asks, frowning.

Tommy nods.
yea, we're all running from something, thought i must say, running in to baldurs gate might be like jumping from the frying pan in to the fire. i mean there might be better places starting to exploring the realms at baldurs gate but, here we are and it is what it is
might as well make the best of it, it all comes due eventually. And! as you might have noticed, once in a while the captain gets a wind of inspiration

Ambergris responds with a blast of lordly flatulence, to which Talian laughs aloud, but Willow snorts in disgust and gets out of the way of the noxious ass gas. "Frying pans and fire. Of course. Sausages and eggs for breakfast wasn't it, perhaps a kipper or two?"

Tommy takes another sip from his cup.
besides the issues with the dead three there's been a gang war so its just a normal day in baldurs gate
Ambergris pulls out a chair for Talian and says, "8.00 O'clock. We do our killing after breakfast."
Talian leans toward Tommy. "Maybe I should have kept on running. This sounds like a dangerous city."

Breakfast is served and the group tucks under until they can't fit another sausage or kipper in their bellies. Belches (and maybe some flatulence) praise the cook as they push back from the table. The fire continues to crackle as many patrons leave to go about their business...and as the Elfsong Tavern begins to quieten down...there can be heard the sounds of shouting and jeering coming from somewhere outside...by the docks maybe?

Diamond looks at Yarl and Hazm and then at the newcomer Telurion. "Why don't ya go and keep an eye on Flint fer me? See what he's really up to in the city, eh? Telurion is it? Ya want to earn some coin and get back in me good graces fer trying to blow up me warehouse?" she says, jingling a coin purse on her belt. "I can hear yer belly growling. Ya hungry?"
Telurion nods. "I will not pass on a chance to get back at that Flint character. And some food sounds great"
Diamond Urchin reaches into a leather purse at her belt and fetches out two gold coins. She grabs Telurion's hand and stuffs the coins in his palm. "Fer breakfast. Ten times that fer information on Flint."

Yarl looks back at Hazm and shrugs his large shoulders. Where does that cunt Flint usually call in to? Which port? he asks to Diamond and the new guy Telurion. Me an' Hazm can take a peek but I aint exactly the most inconspicuous type these days.
Telurion recalls Flint mentioned the Water Queen's House a few times coming down the river; he tells this to Diamond and Yarl.
Diamond grunts. "The temple to the Bitch Queen, eh? That tracks! Doubt you'll be able to get inside, but maybe Flint can't either. Me guess is he'll hole up in a tavern and drink the day away."
"Maybe I can go in any taverns or inns and you cover me from just outside?" the quiet Hazm offers.
Diamond smiles. "Good plan, girlie. Now, git yer asses in gear. Report back when ya have something fer me."

Diamond Urchin walks back toward the warehouse, which is still smoldering from the blast. Trueshot calls out and a small dingy is pulled up to the dock by some of the other Rats. "I'll paddle us downriver," the Elf says.
Yarl, Hazm, and Telurion climb in and Trueshot pushes off the bank and is soon moving in the current toward the main city of Baldur's Gate. They pass by the statue of Balduran Looks Out to Sea.
Balduran Looks Out to Sea.png
Balduran Looks Out to Sea.png (59.34 KiB) Viewed 48 times

"It is said, Balduran changes his position and line of sight every first day of the new year," Trueshot says, noting Telurion's gaze. "It is unknown what he sees, Many have tried to trace his line of sight; most have come up empty-handed."
Within a couple more minutes, the boat arrives in the Grey Harbor under the watchful eye of the Seatower. A fast moving skiff approaches out of the fog, heading straight for the boat. There are three men aboard, all dressed in the livery of the Flaming Fist. They pull up alongside the boat and one of the men asks, "Your business in the city today?"
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#40 Post by Tell »

Lesh
...there can be heard the sounds of shouting and jeering coming from somewhere outside...by the docks maybe?
Lesh's nostrils flare and he rises from his chair moving toward’ s the door before he hesitates, “Fun could be.” But he doesn’t move further until Ambergris and Tommy react. He is also curious to see how the barbarian woman reacts to a possible fight.

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”