OGRE MAGE
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#101 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"The area sounds like a great idea, Dubricus. I like it."

That is the place that had in mind, yes.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#102 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan "I agree, with our esteemed leader. I have been in there and even for just being skeletons they ended up being a bigger challenge than we originally thought." he admits.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#103 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"Yes, the skeletons are many. We were hurt badly, then attacked by crossbowmen as we left. We are not ready to go back there yet."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

"Yes we were easily overwhelmed by them," the young ranger says, "And then the bandits came forcing battle on two fronts." She draws lines in the dirt, "We were in an alley with no retreat options. We need to focus on the bandits and ignore the caves until we know what is going on in there. So if we can take prisoners, we likely can get some information out of them. One of the two was easily frightened."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Sure, let's check that other place out.

Scott308

#106 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"Yes, but I don't think those are the bandits we are here to deal with. I think that was a different group than those who robbed us with their toll." Shaking his head, Crobeus continues. "This place has too many bandit problems."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"Agree 100%, Crobeus"

GreyWolfVT

#108 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan " I too agree. Though it is interesting that the toll bandits fled when they heard that marchant's wagon. They only appear to charge fee to those on foot."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#109 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

The paladin shrugs at Pimlan's comment. "Eh. He's likely rich and powerful. If the bandits messed with him, either he'd hire mercenaries to go after them or the keep would send out guards. Nobody is risking their necks because we got robbed."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"I agree. Let us proceed."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc listens to his companions discuss what to do next. He really doesn't care which way they go, as long as he gets to wet his spear in some bandit blood. So, he watches the trail at their backs and waits for someone, likely Dubricus, to make a decision.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#112 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
The Stone Culvert
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

The group moves along from the shallow grave area before the turned zombies have a chance to come back. It takes about an hour, but they eventually arrive at the tiny stone bridge that breaches the Goblinwater, the small stream that runs from the Caves of Chaos area into the larger river downstream.
culvert.jpg
culvert.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Arriving on the scene unmolested, they find the bridge to be free of travelers at the moment, both on foot or on water. The makeshift stone bridge spans the small culvert underneath it, allowing the muddy, partially blocked stream to flow slowly from north to south.

Luckily there are no trolls found hiding under this bridge, but there are no signs of any bandits nearby either.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna will look for the best place for a group hiding place that we can hide to ambush the bandits we think will be coming through here.

GreyWolfVT

#114 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan smiles and says "It's a good thing we don't have any billy goats with us." most not likely getting his childish joke waits then says "You know the three billy goats and the troll under the bridge."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"It's still morning, so we likely have several hours before the bandits pass through. While we have the time, we could also scout the Caves, try to locate their base."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Just waiting hours in hope a bandit that we can ambush comes by seems a random chance that could be as waste. Bandits are bandits aren't they, whether one group or two. If we can smash a smugglers ring, that might also get a bounty from the Keep.

He muses his thoughts, guessing that our default actions are going to be reactive to events happening rather than causing something to happen.

He will retreat to a sheltered spot, mainly to conduct additional devotions, concerned his holy symbol and rebuke was insufficient to Turn Undead. Perhaps he has been lax in faith or in the pursuit of new divine scientific knowledge.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Looks over the bridge and environs, "There appears to be ample cover here should we choose to attack the bandits as they cross, but I'm not inclined to just rest on our laurels and let them come to us. I'd like to scout a bit in case the camp is nearby." She looks to Dubricus.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"Sounds like a plan, Mags. What say you, Dubricus? Ya wanna take a swim or just piss off the bridge?"
Dredd chuckles to himself and kicks a loose rock into the water, satisfied at the sound it makes.
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#119 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

The paladin is most likely willing to go with whatever plan the self-appointed leader, Dubricus, or the one actually coming up with the plan, Renna, suggest.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#120 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
The Stone Culvert
Late Morning, Mostly Clear

It looks like about 4 people in total could hide together under this small bridge, as long as they didn't mind getting wet up to their knees to do it. The rest of the area is simply road with trees on both sides.

Most of the restless group doesn't appear to want to hang around for something to happen here, so the idea of scouting ahead is breached. Dubricus almost faints when he is accused of urinating outside. "Well, I never! And I most certainly will not be entering any water that flows out of a smelly ravine where orcs and goblins live! You do realize that this water is essentially a humanoids sewer, right?"

With no resistance to the idea, the pompous mage leads the party further down the road until they reach the side trail that leads to the Caves of Chaos. Crabgrass has been here before and can remind the others what his group found here on their last excursion. viewtopic.php?p=675456#p675456

Pushing through a small patch of trees, the ravine and all its side caves opens up in front of the group.
caves.jpeg
caves.jpeg (128.61 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Cave openings can already be seen from this hidden vantage point, and a few along the right hand side were reportedly used by the bandits you seek.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 12/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 8/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5 MM/MM
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 13/16

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”