Return to the Catacombs

Ithril
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return to the Catacombs

#841 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will support Harker while Traesta prepares to heal him.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#842 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta will cast Cure Light Wounds. "Beleg Paldon, mín nall- bo cin! Lothron cín aer galad mend i wounds i mín gar- taken. Cín uireb galad will mír- bo ammen hi aur"

Cure Light Wounds :[1d6+3]=6+3=9
25% Round 1, 50% Round 2, 25% Round 3
2 HP in round 1, 5 in round 2 and 2 more in round 3.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#843 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker nods and gives both a tired smile, "My Thanks... Shieldmaid and Priestess."

As the healing sets in Harker stands a little straighter until he is standing on his own power, "...That's much better."

Looking around, "Yeah, I only have one flask of oil left.. I'd prefer to keep it for my lantern than burning dead. If any have unlit torches we should lite one each and sweep the room... wonder what purpose this HUGE room served?"

Then he points to the edge of his lantern's light, "...look there ..some sort of pillar... lets hug the walls and sweep the room to the left and work our way around?"
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#844 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble enters the room and looks over at Harker. He flexes his own muscles discreetly and knows he is tough - but that Harker, he thinks, that man can scrap...

He takes his position in the room keep his sword out and ready to cleave what may come from the darkness.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#845 Post by Ithril »

As you talk to each other, your startled by a distant sound, but then realize it is only the echo of your voices in this vast enclosed space. Though you speak in hushed tones, the hard stone walls, floor, and ceiling amplify your voices, forcing the echoes in spite of your efforts to be discreet. Once Traesta tends to Harker's wounds, and the rest of you enter the room, you begin the search clockwise from the doorway as Harker suggested.

From the door you travel about 50 feet towards the Erizt where you find the corner of the vast room. Then following that wall Sount for another 55 feet to discover another door in the Erizt wall. The chamber continues farther to the Sount beyond the radius of Harker's lantern. There is, however another column just within your light, so that shows 3 columns that you have counted, though you cannot know how many more there may be.
Regarding the chamber itself, it is vast, and the flagstone floor shows traces of dirt that may have either washed in, or has been tracked in, or perhaps simply filtered in from the stone ceiling. Bits of wooden debris can also be found, termite eaten, and slowly dissolving to a natural wood fungus in this dark, damp place. But you cannot tell what the wood once was, or how long it has been left here.

If you meant to trace your path more closely to the wall than the icons on the map show, that's my fault, let me know and I'll put them closer.

04-12.JPG
04-12.JPG (153.63 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#846 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"Lets keep going around and see if we can establish the edge first."

Crig
Runner
Runner

#847 Post by Crig »

Dorath

“I agree. Then we’ll also know what sort of exits there are. From there we can decide if we wish to delve into the dark center.”

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#848 Post by Ithril »

Traveling Sount along the wall, you discover a second corner of the room, giving the room an entire length of about a hundred feet! Turning along the Sount wall towards the Wenzt you soon come upon what was once (and is still depicted as) a litter, or some kind of rudimentary bed, but it is smashed beyond any use now. All the linens and blankets are shredded, and stained with a good quantity of old dried blood. Nearby is the splintered remains of a chair, similarly destroyed.

When I drew the map, they were a bed and a chair. You've spent enough time here though, that the original occupants are no longer here. I don't really have the inclination to alter the map to show debris where the chair/bed are, but they're both well and truly destroyed. Remember, time is moving forward (albeit at a slow pace).

04-13.JPG
04-13.JPG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 187 times

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#849 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"Let's check the debris and then keep going."

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#850 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker merely nods in approval of the systematic search and mapping of the vast room, "Yes, search the debris and we'll move on..."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#851 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena keeps an eye out as the others search.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#852 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble maintains his place as rear guard

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#853 Post by Ithril »

gurusql wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:11 am Traesta

"Let's check the debris and then keep going."
sunphoenix wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:48 am Harker merely nods in approval of the systematic search and mapping of the vast room, "Yes, search the debris and we'll move on..."
Rex wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 am Conweena

Conweena keeps an eye out as the others search.
ravenn4544 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am Pebble maintains his place as rear guard
:lol:
I like how everyone agrees to search, but words it in such a way that they will not be the ones searching. This leaves Dorath, Igber (who may not even participate) and Lannas (who will likely feel he is entitled to keep whatever he finds) to search.
Are you all that paranoid that I will spring some nassty surprise on you for just checking the scene? This isn't even that diabolical of a scenario. What will you do when we get to a game (assuming we get there) where there are safeguards in place, such that you do have to be on guard?

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#854 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker will search the rubble since Lannas STILL can't be trusted to do so...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#855 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Just me not paying attention.

Conweena will help search.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#856 Post by Ithril »

Harker prods the wrecked and splintered frame of the bed with his sword. It doesn't take long before a small knap of tightly bundled and tied cloth rolls from the torn blankets and straw that composed the bed's mattress. Though it too is stained crimson, it doesn't seem to have been molested further.
Untying it, Harker finds 6 silver Royal Galleons. Clearly the prize of some workman.

With nothing else to find here, you decide to continue your circuit of the room, and soon discover more debris. Several beds and tables once housed a small force here, but they are all a picture of ruin now. Tables and chairs and beds, all torn or smashed to splinters and ruin to a point where you cannot be sure of the number of any of them. Amidst the destroyed furniture, you also find human remains. At first only some dismembered limbs are obvious, but soon you realize there are several whole bodies as well. 'Whole' being a poor term for what you actually see. All of the bodies are dreadfully mutilated, and most are missing substantial portions of their original mass. They resemble a game bird torn by hounds that the huntsman failed to call off. Dried blood is everywhere, as well as a number of motley collection of weapons, some broken in the battle.

This completes your circuit of the room, however. The wall stops at another corner, and moves Nordt, interrupted only by another door which seems to be parallel with the door in the Erizt wall. There are 4 columns in total, all set in a symmetrical pattern near the center of the room which measures in total 100 ft N/S and 110 ft E/W.

In lieu of the regular map, I'll post Dorath's updated map for your use.

Dorath's Map 4-14.jpg
Dorath's Map 4-14.jpg (113.3 KiB) Viewed 130 times

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#857 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker will closely examine the 'motley collection of weapons' and recovery ANY and all that are still serviceable even if rusted a bit. He will then direct the party to investigate beyond the West door... asking Igber to do his door examination for sounds or traps... before opening the door to look beyond first.
Last edited by sunphoenix on Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#858 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will get ready to open the door when Igber is ready.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#859 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"Since this the 6 silver Royal Galleons could be the first coins that we have found in this place, unless some would rather do it I will hold it as party treasure." After that is taken care of Traesta will get ready for the door to be opened.

I think it is the medium. I prefer a post saying something, other than just a post stating an action with no dialog.

Crig
Runner
Runner

#860 Post by Crig »

Sorry for the late response.

Dorath

Before moving on, Dorath inspects the torn corpses and tries to make out what sort of a creature caused this. Does it appear to be ripped entirely by teeth and claws?

After inspection he lines up in his place in the back, sling at ready.

“Let us hope that whatever did this has had its fill for a while and that we might stumble across sleeping beasts for once.”

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”