scarik
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Watchfort Reclamation, Summer 668

#121 Post by Leitz »

scarik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:08 am

Surprise [1d6]=5

The spiders don’t surprise you, but they have the initiative and decide when to charge.

Roll Captain for Ji-ho. Success means no need for a morale check and you hold the line to negate the charge.
Success: 8 (roll) +1 for Captain = 9. If he gets the +1 for Charisma, and potentially the +1 for being on the front line himself, then it's even better.
Pair dice roll [_2d6]=(4+4)=8

Just tell us what we need to hit these suckers. They should be hard to miss!

Will the missile troops get a chance to fire before melee?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#122 Post by scarik »

A 10 is good enough to hold the line and let off a volley into the charging enemy. Being in the front is why I let you negate the morale check instead of just giving a bonus.

The party hurls several torches into the chamber, watching the shadows dance along the ceiling as small fires creep along clumps of thick webbing. The wait seems interminable and then the cry goes up as the giant spiders are potted racing along the ceiling to drop upon the intruders. The line holds firm and a flurry of missiles greets the arachnid attack.

Giant Spiders are Well-Armed & Armored.
In melee Well-Armed folks (everyone except Korev) hit them on a base of 5+ Korev hits on a base of 4+
With Missile attacks you need a 3+ to score a hit due to range (no point blank bonus because they have the high ground)
Hurled weapons and self bows need a 6 to wound and deal subdual on 4+
Crossbows need 6 to wound and subdue on 3+
Longbows need 5+ to wound and subdue on 2+
Heavy crossbows need 4+ to wound and always cause subdual on a hit

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Leitz »

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by scarik »

The Spiders are big so you can surround them and attack pretty freely once the melee starts.
Bofur can throw his light pick.
Morwen is at the rear door with the matches.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#125 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur can and decides to throw his light pick. He just wishes the thing could return to him she he wouldn't have to run off to fetch it again.

missile attack hit [_3d6]=(1+5+3)=9 damage [_3d6]=(5+4+4)=13
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

As the fear of facing such huge creatures began to rise, Ji-ho spoke to everyone calmly. He gave orders with clear direction as the monsters sought their prey. Hemia the preistess readied her mace, steadied her shield, and fought beside Jing Si-woo.

Rolton just snickered and drove his spear into one of the monsters.

GreyWolfVT

#128 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#129 Post by scarik »

At first the giant arachnids are terrifying but by blade and bow chitin cracks and black ichor stains the floor, man and dwarf alike. The terrible mandibles of the spiders snap and their massive limbs push men back. Had they the stamina to and the valor to continue their attack they would surely have broken the spear line and wrought terrible injury.

But as it is one of the beasts loses its nerve almost immediately and in a panic it flees for Darfilla's waiting trap. It hurls its massive bulk against the weakened door and easily bursts through only to meet a veil of the alchemist's green flames whereupon it unleashes a piecing shriek and expires under fire and the axes of Morwen's unliving thralls.

The other holds its nerve and fights on, intelligent enough to use simple tactics and recognize its foes, but not so much that it grasps how foolish it is to stand alone once its ally flees. It fights on and manages to deliver a glancing bite to Jing Ji-ho. At once he feels to hot rush of spider venom begin to infiltrate the wound.

I'm going to stop rolling at this point. The results are in.
Ji-ho needs to make a saving throw vs poison.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Leitz »

Ji-ho save vs poison with +1 [_2d6+1]=(6+3)=9+1=10

Ji-ho has a +1 on saves from earlier saves.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by scarik »

Ji-ho fights off the toxin and takes 1subdual from it. Since the fighting is over there's no danger beyond that.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

With a final thrust, just to make sure the beast is dead, Ji-ho sighed. He quickly withdrew his spear and ran through the now open doorway to help defeat the monster that fled, only to find its increasingly small crispy bits being hacked on by Morwen's summoned creatures.

"Interesting," Ji-ho said in Dongbuyeo as Si-woo joined him. "Not much left, but I don't see a problem with that. Do you?"

Si-woo shrugged. "No one will believe us? Should we take back part of one of the biggest ones so fools are less likely to flock here?"

"Wise, as always." Ji-ho nodded. He mostly hid his smile as Hemia joined them. He switched to Magyar, and added, "My cousin feels we should take back part of one of the largest ones, to discourage the foolish from rushing out into the wild. What do you think?"

"We're foolish enough as is." Hemia took deep breathes as she stood beside Si-woo. Her eyes were huge and her hands began to shake. "We don't need any competition. Did you see the size of that thing?"

Si-woo grabbed Hemia's shoulder and began pushing her forward. "Everyone, clear the dungeon for a while. Breath fresh air."

- - -

After some time in the sun, drinking clear water and removing gore stained gear, Ji-ho let everyone know that he would send back part of the group to get supplies, but some must remain here with him to ensure no one else tries to take their prize. He ensured Morwen and Bofur knew the choice to stay, or go, lay with them.

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#133 Post by roobeastie »

Morwen

After ensuring that both Macnav and Cuivne were alright, and willing, Morwen let it be known that she and hers were willing to stay. Finding a place slightly away from everyone else, in order to give them space from her if they like, Morwen took out a small notebook and spent some time writing down her findings thus far, and her impressions of her fellow adventurers. One never knew when such things might come in handy.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Leitz »

roobeastie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:06 pm Morwen

After ensuring that both Macnav and Cuivne were alright, and willing, Morwen let it be known that she and hers were willing to stay. Finding a place slightly away from everyone else, in order to give them space from her if they like, Morwen took out a small notebook and spent some time writing down her findings thus far, and her impressions of her fellow adventurers. One never knew when such things might come in handy.
Ji-ho, followed by Darfilla, asked for a moment alone with Morwen.

(assuming it is agreeable) "Friend Morwen, the spiders gifted me with some of their poison multiple times. It did not do much for me, but perhaps it is worthy of research? I know nothing of such things, but Darfilla does."

He's simply saying if they want the spider poison he's not going to say anything. I think there are other alchemists in the gruop, as well.

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#135 Post by roobeastie »

Morwen

Morwen was slightly surprised when Ji-ho and Darfilla approached her, instantly agreeing to the request. "Hmm... I could use a few of the parts for spell components, however as I am not an alchemist I would not have a use for all of it," Morwen said, glancing at Darfilla. "If any assistance is needed in creating antidotes, I would be happy to lend help where I can."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"I know nothing of alchemy or magic, so I will leave the two of you to it. Please do not experiment in the fort, the air does not circulate well. Assume that a small building will be eventually made for you close by. Find a nice spot now, if you like. I hope to begin work as soon as we clear the local denizens."

Ji-ho started to leave, but then turned back to Morwen. "We need to clear out the locals for a decent measure in each direction. If you would like to participate, you and yours are welcome. We will begin in the morning."

GreyWolfVT

#137 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur "Alchemy, nah I dunno nothin' about that. But if yah need me ta cook some good stew, I'm yer dwarf."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho laughed, and then nodded. "No army outmarches its stomach! We have huntsmen to find game, your skills will be well needed."

"Also, if you aren't going into town with the first group, I'll be clearning the area as much as possible. The old ogres might still be around, or other nasties. We might as well resolve them quickly, so we can focus on the rebuilding." He paused, and then added, "From your share, if you want specific gems or jewelry, feel free to speak up. Most of my funds will be turned back into the construction and settlement, so I care for coin, not specific items. Even coin doesn't seem to stick around very long."

GreyWolfVT

#139 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur smiles and laughs "We're not fussy, me an the boys are just glad ta not be captives any more. We'll stay with ya an help clear the nasties out."

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#140 Post by scarik »

Point of order: Balin is an alchemist, so you have 2 in the company. You have 2 Clerics and 3 Mages in total as well. Hemia as a Healer can help out with alchemy though her focus is of course on medicines. Morwen and Cuivne can both assist on most technical matters as well.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”