Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

#121 Post by AleBelly »

The rope snaps, making a whizzing sound as the weight of the chandelier pulls it through the hook suspending the item from the ceiling. It crashes to the ground. Miraculously, our heroes all dodge the antler-adorned showpiece, while the skeledwarves do not.

Number of dwarves killed [1d6]=5

They probably don't care too much. They were dead anyway. The foes remaining in the room are the skeledwarf that cut the rope (and will advance towards Sisyphus) and the tortoise supporting Odlo.

Odlo giggles loudly. "Yes, fellow Clearwaterans! Join me!" Odlo's poor eyesight seems to have deceived him.

Those that avoided the chandelier will have movement reduced by half this round to work their way around the spiky mess. I need actions from Bilberta and Sisyphus. Also, a couple clarifying points/questions:

Bobwhite will end the round near the brazier (can't move-action-move in a round unless the PC has two action dice).
Does Palermo want to go towards the tortoise or towards the remaining dwarf advancing on Sisyphus?

Stirling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 am Xerxes

Will utter a prayer and wrathful rebuke, thrusting his holy symbol forth and spewing some scriptural vehemence and condemnation.

Xerxes: Turn Unholy attempt (modified by personality & luck) [1d20-1]=11-1=10
Since Xerxes hasn't taken the oath and undergone rites to become a cleric yet, he hasn't gained the god's benefit to a cleric level. His turn check will be a layperson's 1d10 check. Feel free to change his action if you like, or reroll with a 1d10.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#123 Post by CAI4 »

Bilberta, infuriated by the loss of her friends, charges at the remaining dwarf with her battleaxe while screaming “Just F**ckin Die!”
If this action isn’t possible due to distancing, Bilberta will run towards the dwarf instead

Sisyphus, seeing the dwarf advance towards him following his previous encounter with two of them shouts “what vendetta do you all hold against me?” before slashing at the dwarf with his shortsword

Finally some good luck on the rolls haha

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Rex »

Wenyld

Wen pulls the bow off her back and takes a shot at Odlo.

Initiative [1d10+2]=6+2=8

Long Bow [1d20+2]=2+2=4 to hit [1d6]=4 damage

Sheet updated to 5 arrows.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by AleBelly »

Wenyld takes stock of the situation. The orphan flees the room, having had enough of this battle.

The party continues to attack after their foes' numbers have been reduced drastically. Palermo picks his way around the crashed chandelier and bones to aid his companions, but finds the going slow. Bobwhite creeps over to the brazier and shoves his shoulder into it, just above halfway. The brazier falls over slowly and first, accelerating as it crashes into the ground, scattering embers harmlessly around the tortoise.

"Foul play, dear Bobwhite. Foul play, chicken butcher!" cries Odlo jovially. "You missed us!"

Xerxes grabs his holy symbol, holding it towards the undead creatures in the room. He growls some words he knows from his holy book. But it has no effect on his enemies.

The last remaining skeledwarf advances towards Sisyphus, who wonders aloud why he's consistently the object of enemy attacks. The hunter readies his short sword. They swing their weapons with malice, both leaving vital areas well exposed. The skeledwarf plunges his sword into Sisyphus' chest

Skeledwarf attacks Sisyphus [1d20+1]=16+1=17 damage [1d6]=5

just as the hunter's rusty short sword shatters several of the dwarf's ribs -5 hp!. Sisyphus is dead before his body hits the floor. Bilberta advances with her massive battle axe, swearing loudly. With her mighty cry, she cleaves the skeledwarf's skull from its body -4 hp!

Zygmund runs into the room and grabs Yarnold's longsword, just missing his chance to join in the battle.

Odlo urges the tortoise towards the center of the room. "Yes, my friends. Come give my mount another taste of your flesh. Come pet his shell!"

Rolf and Hailey appear at the doorway.
Hall0321.jpg
Hall0321.jpg (731.34 KiB) Viewed 176 times

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:27 am Wenyld

Wen pulls the bow off her back and takes a shot at Odlo.

Initiative [1d10+2]=6+2=8

Long Bow [1d20+2]=2+2=4 to hit [1d6]=4 damage

Sheet updated to 5 arrows.
Sorry, I used her previous action. Feel free to update with another in light of the recent post.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Rex »

Wenyld

No problem. In a better spot anyways.

Wen will set up in the entrance to the passage with her bow and try to hit Odlo.

You can use the old rolls or the new ones, your call.

Initiative [1d10+2]=10+2=12

Long Bow [1d20+2]=10+2=12 to hit [1d6]=2 damage

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 am Wenyld

No problem. In a better spot anyways.

Wen will set up in the entrance to the passage with her bow and try to hit Odlo.

You can use the old rolls or the new ones, your call.

Initiative [1d10+2]=10+2=12

Long Bow [1d20+2]=10+2=12 to hit [1d6]=2 damage
New round, new rolls. Just remember this when I make you re-roll one you like later :D

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Stirling »

Xerxes resorts back to more mundane retribution, deciding with the reach of his long shovel to chop at the skeletal neck of the undead Tortoise mount.

Xerxes: swings his long shovel. [1d20+1]=15+1=16 [1d4+1]=2+1=3

Zygmund, I had the idea to use the antlered chandelier in some way. I think if we can raise it back up then we could lure Odlo and his Tortoise to come underneath it and given a signal, drop it over them both again.

So I will go over to the pillar the rope attached to the chandelier was fixed too and try to haul up the chandelier by rope if I can or grab any loose dangling rope to counterbalance the weight.

Not sure if the dwarf skeleton who cut the rope is still over there, so attack him if necessary.

Zygmund: longsword attack [1d20]=4 [1d8]=2

If it is obvious that such a plan is not feasible, then I will work on 'plan B'. To tip the table and use as a barricade and then lure the Un-Tortoise towards it. Once it tries to scramble over, we can run it through any softer underbelly using the dwarf spears, like hitting a tank in a weak point as it rears up.

"Led it this way." he shouts, figuring one of his plans may work out.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Marullus »

After rummaging through his small chest, Bobwhite produces Odlo's glasses. Sucking in and mustering uncharacteristic bravery, he runs at the tortoise's back end and tries to reach Odlo. Failing that, he will toss.

"Odlo, look what you are doing! Put your spectacles on and look!" he pleads to his fellow hobbit among the carnage.

Rolf wastes no time, rushing straight for the tortoise's head with a mighty swing of his axe...
[1d20+1]=2+1=3[1d6+1]=1+1=2

Hailey looks on in horror. She pulls her treasured vial of holy water from her pouch and prays over it. "Such horror is the Gods domain... answer our call." She hurls the vial at the tortoise.
[1d20]=4[1d6]=2

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#131 Post by CAI4 »

Sisyphus cries “Kill this bastard for me” before slumping to the ground, dead

You said we could give our characters heroic deaths, though you also said Sisyphus died immediately, so regardless I put this here as a farewell :lol:

Bilberta, seemingly further enraged from the death of her comrade, gives Wenyld a disappointed look as she flees before proceeding to swing her battleaxe at Odlo’s tortoise

Bilberta would like to burn the appropriate amount of luck points to land the hit if she hasn’t already

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#132 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I dont know if any of this movement can be considered to have been done last round instead of....whatever else he did.

Following Bobwhite's lead, Palmero rushes out of the room as the others enter, suddenly remembering the hat in the hallway. He grabs up the hat and returns to the room behind the others.

"YES! ODLO!!! Look at this. It seems you have not only lost your glasses but also your hat!"

He tries to toss the thing atop the halflings head, keeping his distance from the dangerous undead turtle.

Attack [1d20]=12

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Stirling »

Yarnold & Wenceslas go to investigate the dim light, the tax collector picking up the top hat, checking the insides since the fancy business hat might oft be used to hide a few cheque notes and receipts.
The Top-hat is by Yarnold's feet in the large room, so you don't need to exit.

Edited: Sorry I added another action but you haven't updated so use these for next round

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#134 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks!

I looked back to see if anyone grabbed it yet, but I must have missed that part.
:oops:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by AleBelly »

Initiative is set at the beginning of battle, and I rolled a 20 for Wenyld. So we’ll stick with that. You can always roll for it at the beginning of an encounter, but I will make them myself if not provided to avoid slowing things down. I’ll usually post these rolls but there were way too many at the beginning of this one.

For this encounter, Zygmund and the tortoise both ended up with 0, so they simultaneously act last.

Wenyld, standing in the doorway, draws her bow and releases an arrow. Her aim is true, and it plunks into Odlo’s side! -2 hp No blood flows from the wound. ”No, my friends, no! You are to aid me, not to fight me!” he shrieks.

Bobwhite finds Odlo’s spectacles in his chest, and gathers his courage to approach Odlo at the tortoise’s rear. "Odlo, look what you are doing! Put your spectacles on and look!" He tosses the spectacles and they land on the back of the tortoise. It is then that the hobbit sees the tortoise’s bony tail swipe at him!

Tail swipe [1d20]=17 damage [1d6]=3

The might strike launches the poor chicken butcher off his feet, and he lands, dead, eight feet away.

Palmero runs to grab Odlo’s top hat near Yarnold’s body. Staying out of the bite range of the tortoise he tosses the fancy hat onto the back of the tortoise. "YES! ODLO!!! Look at this. It seems you have not only lost your glasses but also your hat!"

Hailey speaks a brief prayer and hurls her holy water at the tortoise, but her nerves get the better of her and it sails too far. The jar breaks and releases its contents on the floor several feet away. Xerxes advances, swinging his shovel but it too is ineffective.

Bilberta hefts her axe and charges at the tortoise. Once again the mysterious powers of luck manifest themselves, and her blade strikes true, cracking the shell with a mighty blow! -4hp, -1 Luck point.

Rolf, the wounded woodcutter, and Zygmund join the fray without hesitation. The cutter’s axe misses its mark, while Zygmund’s newly acquired longsword cracks the tortoise’s skull! -2 hp. Both Odlo and the tortoise seem very near a second death.

The tortoise bites at Rolf,
Tortoise target [1d4]=2 1-Bilberta 2-Rolf 3-Xerxes 4-Zygmund

Tortoise attacks Rolf [1d20+3]=13+3=16 damage [1d6]=2

And finds the woodcutter’s leg, biting it clean off. The brave woodcutter succumbs as he bleeds out on the floor.

Odlo picks up the spectacles and puts on his hat. "Thank you, friends..." he begins. But as he takes in the scene, he is enraged. "What have you done to the protectors?! Am I the last standing! NOOOOO! I will fulfill my duty!" He pulls his dagger from his belt and readies it to throw.

The door in the south wall opens, but nothing appears.
Hall0328.jpg
Hall0328.jpg (740.37 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Sorry, Marullus, the die roller has been cruel to you. Odlo and the tortoise will act in all coming rounds. Actions?

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by CAI4 »

Bilberta swings her axe at the boney goliath once more

Yikes

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Stirling »

Xerxes

Xerxes: swings his long shovel. [1d20+1]=3+1=4 [1d4+1]=2+1=3

Misses

Zygmund

Zygmund: longsword attack [1d20]=3 [1d8]=6

Misses

The Tortoise should be partially immobilized from the previous wound so I hope we can stay away from any more tail swipes and just hack the head as it snaps at us.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Rex »

Wenyld

If she has a clear shot at the Tortoise or Odlo she will take the clearest shot possible. If she thinks she might hit an ally she will hold off and save her limited arrows.

Initiative [1d10+2]=4+2=6

Long Bow [1d20+2]=19+2=21 to hit [1d6]=4 damage

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by AleBelly »

The tortoise poses the most danger, as you can probably tell by the rolls. And yes, the party can stay near the front of the tortoise as they attack to avoid the tail swipe. Because of this, Wenyld can attack the tortoise without fear of melee damage to her companions, and I will apply her attack to it. For those left to attack, let me know if you want to attack Odlo or see what he does (he is about to throw a dagger and acts last each round).

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeing that his idea fell short of his expectations of snapping Odlo out of his funk, Palmero finally decides violence is actually the answer.

He moves in front of his fallen friend Sully before rearing back with his pitchfork, trying to stay clear of the dangerous enemy. He fires his turnip fork towards the undead Odlo.

Attack [1d20]=10 +2 on Agility and as long as its only a few, he would use Luck points to improve this roll.

If necessary:
Pitchfork Damage [1d8]=5

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”