Discussion (out of character thread)

scarik
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#341 Post by GreyWolfVT »

No worries it's probably my gaming style and the fact I'm more like a foreigner in a foreign land trying to learn the local language and traditions.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Leitz »

Which "first door" is Gurav talking about? We should see the eastern door of room 3 quickly enough.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#343 Post by scarik »

The eastern door of Room 3 is the one the spiders attacked through.

The eastern door in Room 4 is the one you were originally cutting through when the encounter started.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#344 Post by scarik »

Happy Easter all. Its why we've been quiet. After dinner today I'll move things along.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#345 Post by scarik »

I'm not sure where everyone is so take a look as this, most current, map you can make.

The Blue Arrow starts in the room you repelled the spider attack, passes Green, goes thought a pair of arches set 90degrees apart, though the rubble where the second encounter with large spiders was and ends at Red.

The Green Circle is a broken down door from which at least some of the spiders emerged. Beyond it is thick, impassable webbing.

The Red Circle is the damaged door where the first giant spider stuck a limb through. It is still hanging on its hinges and is closed.

I see you have 3 groups planned:

Van: Jing-ho (with henchmen). Also Gurav?
Rear: Bofur et al
Reserve: Morwen (and let's say Barnaby)

If those groups are wrong correct me then tell me which location each one of them is going to.
Chase the Big Ones 1.jpg
Chase the Big Ones 1.jpg (239.39 KiB) Viewed 175 times

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#346 Post by scarik »

I forgot to include my assumptions on where you were.

Vanguard goes to Red
Reserve watches the webs at Green
Rear is in Room 4 by the arches.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Leitz »

scarik wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:31 pm Vanguard goes to Red
Reserve watches the webs at Green
Rear is in Room 4 by the arches.
From the looks of this, the spiders likely came from the door/passage to the NE of the green circle door. While the webs are impassable to us, they are a great defense for the spiders. The red circle door may not have been opened at all, from the looks of it.

The groups are not very spread out at all. Given the green door being open and the webs there, the plan is to burn the webs to remove the spider's defense system. We have lots of grass and firewood, and time is cheaper than people. With that in mind, the vanguard will be at the squiggly bit on the line just west of the green circle. Bofur et al will be two squares south and one square west, and Morwen and crew will be at the closed and rope tied portcullis due south.

We know the rope won't hold the portcullis for the big spiders, but it should give Morwen and her crew time to retreat behind Bofur, to the square NW of the number 3.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#348 Post by scarik »

Ah ok. That makes more sense.

As of now you have 2 summoned skeletons remaining who can at least be a speed bump as well.

Would you all like to start a fire? Do recall that there are some vents that the smoke can get out of now since a few of the large spiders escaped to daylight and were dispatched by your soldiers off camera.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Leitz »

Yes there are vents, but the spiders will likely back into their lair because it puts them at an advantage. The webs won't burn hot enough to hurt them but the corridor will limit our missiles and numbers. If they go outside then they can get surrounded, and they probably know we have even more people out there.

So we'll start the fires small and build them up. Ji-ho is patient. This is a high risk moment and he's not going to waste any of his people because he's in a hurry to count coin.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#350 Post by scarik »

I meant it more as 'there are vents now so you won't have to wait and wave fans'. Its an advantage for you as it won't smoke your side out or slow you down much. If the spiders flee they diem but most of them aren't smart enough to know that, they just flee from pain.

The giant ones are smarter but they won't fit in any case.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#351 Post by scarik »

You have successfully cornered the enemy. You can't see them yet but you can decide how to enter the room and start the fighting.

My main questions are
1) What is your formation and who is where
2) Do you want to attack from both directions (this will require you to break down the partially damaged door from Room 4 to Room 6)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Leitz »

Ji-ho will send Gar out with orders to have Darfilla set up any explosives she can to block their escape from room 6 to room 4. While Gar runs off, Ji-ho will quietly lay out the plan.

The corridor is ten feet wide, so only three can go out at a time. However, it is also shorter so the Giant spiders shouldn't have an easy time getting into the hallway and into our rear ranks.

Ji-ho, flanked by Verdugo and Rolton will move about two long paces into the room, crouch, set spears, and use shields. Gurav, Bofur and Hodlar out next. The first two back up the shield wall, Hodlar moves just to the west of the shield wall, keeping his arbalest ready for any target. Drotik, Si-woo, and Dwalin out next, with the latter using Ji-ho's self bow. Drotik and Si-woo will stand behind the shield wall (everyone in front of them is shorter or crouched) and shoot whatever they see. If we cannot see anything, Hemia will throw a torch as far into the room as she can, and Dwalin will do recon-by-fire. Once a spider is identified, Drotik, Si-woo, Dwalin, and Hodlar will fire at it.

Balin, Hemia, and Borev will remain in the corridor. They will assist the wounded and provide the last line of defense.

We will maintain this formation while shooting at spiders. Eventually the spiders will charge. The shield wall should negate their charge bonus, and then it's general melee.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#353 Post by scarik »

Any objections from Morwen or Bofur?

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#354 Post by roobeastie »

Morwen doesn't mind continuing to hold the back line, which she will do after she and her apprentice assist Darfilla.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#355 Post by GreyWolfVT »

No objections Bofur is content helping where he can.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Leitz »

roobeastie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:21 pm Morwen doesn't mind continuing to hold the back line, which she will do after she and her apprentice assist Darfilla.
My apologies on that. I've been an historical wargamer for a long time and keep forgetting to include the mages in the plans. If Morwen can help Darfilla, then take Cuivne and Macnav as well. That gives you some defense if the spiders do break through. Hopefully if the spiders are trying to flee they will spend minimal time killing enroute. That is, until Morwen and Darfilla blow them up and the zombie berzerkers rip offf their legs...

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#357 Post by roobeastie »

Leitz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:21 pm
roobeastie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:21 pm Morwen doesn't mind continuing to hold the back line, which she will do after she and her apprentice assist Darfilla.
My apologies on that. I've been an historical wargamer for a long time and keep forgetting to include the mages in the plans. If Morwen can help Darfilla, then take Cuivne and Macnav as well. That gives you some defense if the spiders do break through. Hopefully if the spiders are trying to flee they will spend minimal time killing enroute. That is, until Morwen and Darfilla blow them up and the zombie berzerkers rip offf their legs...
It's all good, thankfully I live with someone who helps me figure out tactical stuff. :biggrin:

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Leitz »

scarik wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:31 pm The Spiders are big so you can surround them and attack pretty freely once the melee starts.

Just wanted to clarify on this, those with missiles go in the same round as the melee? Or do the missiles all go, and then the next round is the melee? Obviously the latter is better for the party.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#359 Post by scarik »

Missiles go first. In the same round as the melee.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#360 Post by scarik »

I'm out of town this week so I'll be slow.

Bofur can make his melee attacks. For your dice rolls don't add em up. Only the individual results are used.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”