Smoking Out The Bandits

OGRE MAGE
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#41 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

"When we were heading to the skeleton cave we came across that other trail where someone had a wagon, and we were warned off and we heard crossbows. I bet that was the crossbowman at the cave. Why don't we go find that trail?"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"Granted, I was unconscious at the time, but from what I heard they said, these highwaymen were not associated with them. It would make sense then that the bandits gave Mendel a wide berth, if Mendel is involved with that cave."
They all look at the three of you in shock, nodding their heads at your pile of unconscious friends. “You went there? To the Cave of the Unknown?”

They take a few steps back and look around nervously. ”And three of you lived? How is that even possible?”

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan likes the suggestion Stobart makes "That is a good idea Stobart. We should do that. Could've been the bandits that warned us off we didn't actually see them, who knows maybe that is where they setup camp."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"That sounds like the group has landed on a plan. Let us head out and look for the wagon."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#45 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"I highly doubt the two groups are related. We faced crossbowmen at the cave, while the bandits at the log had arrows with unusual fletching. I don't think they'd also have multiple people with crossbows. Doesn't mean they couldn't, but it seems unlikely."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#46 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ignoring calls for rolls is a good way to miss valuable information. :twisted: :lorcl:

Returning To The Scene
Mid Morning, Clear

Seeing no danger along the roadway, the group continues walking towards the area they already searched, hoping to locate any sign of missing party members along the way. Following the wagon tracks through the grass again, this time you hear no warnings shouted to you or any cocking of crossbows. The place is eerily quiet in fact, with even less natural noise from animals and birds than normal.

No wagons, guards, or Elven princesses are discovered near the tight forest trail, but Crobeus and Crabgrass both spot something odd along the upper ridge of land right in front of the forest. It seems the dirt in that area has been rutted up and large patches of grass are missing, as if something big was rooting around at the edge of the treeline.

Dubricus pontificates aloud. "Could that damage be caused by an animal? A very large animal? As I was not with the group on your last trip, I expect to be brought up to speed on any information that I was not privy to earlier. That dark trail there leads to the cave filled with skeletons, I presume?" He points back to the dirt patch to the west of the trail. "Should we investigate that area a bit closer, or head to the infamous Caves of Chaos to seek out these bandits?"
AreaAroundKeep_2.png
AreaAroundKeep_2.png (509.94 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 16/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 10/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 16/16

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Remembers the 'LandShark' that did for Thirteen and almost chewed Croebus into mulch.

"I wonder if the creature lurks here as well as outside the Keep?"

The Bulette was not interested in munching upon the old hermit that was encountered in the Keep. I wonder if the honey scent, being surrounded by bees and carrying jars of the stuff acted as some ward?

"Honey healing salves and potent wards? Have you heard such druid arts being created Dubricus?" he asks figuring the Keep-Mage might know odd bits of information too.

Against my better judgement to go hunting for the creature, I can't help wonder if my bizarre theory about the honey hermit works. It is not too far from churned up area to trees, perhaps we have a chance to outrun it if it appears and doesn't find honeyed characters unappetising.

His mind goes back to the Kobold honey trap. Maybe the bees honey is a valued resource by all resident groups?

Trying to think outside the box, I will go forward to investigate a patch of churned up ground, prodding ahead with my staff and especially looking out for large dorsal like fins protruding from the ground or rippling movement towards me.

Scott308

#48 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"It doesn't really look like the dirt torn up by the land shark, and I got a pretty close look at the dirt. It actually...it really reminds me...of a...graveyard, oddly enough." The paladin moves to take a closer look.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"We observed a rather large landshark when we arrived in the vicinity of the keep," he remarks to Dubricus. "I am certainly no outdoorsman, but as I recall, the lack of animal noises suggests the presence of a predator." He scans the ground about them warily. "I shall stay here, for the moment."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

Concerning about more skeletal undead, Stobart will follow about 10' behind Croebus as he goes to investigate.
Last edited by shaidar on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#51 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan will also join the investigation group staying a similar distance back as Stobart is doing.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Reanna will stay in position as the ground is checked out.

Too little too late
Wis check (16) [1d20]=14
Last edited by gurusql on Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Darithe »

Magdal Magdal accompanies Crobeus to examine the rutted ground. "So a graveyard you think?," she asks of the paladin, "That could explain where the cave got so many skeletons. Pull 'em out and pack 'em in the cave perhaps," she twirls a lock of red hair, while mulling these thoughts over.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#54 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
Mid Morning, Clear

Dubricus answers while Crabgrass pontificates about honey. "I know something about the nature magic of druids, though even I am no expert in that field. What I can tell you is that the Bee Lady you met is not just some strange hermit. I believe there is more to her than meets the proverbial eye, if you understand me. How do I know this, you might ask? Well, for starters, are any of you able to stop a stampeding behemoth with nothing but a wave of your hand?"

The group approaches the dirt patch with Crabgrass in the lead, poking around in the soft dirt with his staff. The half-elf sees no grey fins appear and feels no tremors in the oerth. However, when the butt of his staff slides into the disturbed ground, it causes a reaction that makes Crobeus's prediction seem far more realistic.
zombie-with-hands-out.jpg
zombie-with-hands-out.jpg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 136 times

A pair of rotting hands suddenly erupts from the dirt, followed closely by a rotting human head and shoulders. The buried zombie grabs at the ankle of Crabgrass, gripping his lower leg tightly in its clawed fist. It tries to rake the half-elf with its other hand, but hits his wooden staff instead.

The others look on in disbelief as their friend is held tightly in place right where he is, while several more zombies begin to unearth themselves from their shallow graves, about to surround Crabgrass. Dubricus jumps backwards in sheer terror. "DEAR GODS WHAT IS HAPPENING???"

Magdal looks around for grave markers but sees none, figuring this site to be more makeshift than any actual consecrated church grounds. Whoever buried these things here didn't try very hard to hide them anyway. She, Crobeus, Pimlan, Dredd, and Stobart are within range to attack the escaping undead if they wish, although any who stayed behind near the tracks could help out in other ways.

Besides the first monster, six others pop up from their covered resting place, shaking the dirt from themselves as they slowly advance upon the living. Astute onlookers might notice that these zombies have very tattered and ripped clothing, and are missing splotches of their dead skin in a few places.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 16/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 10/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) H-E AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 16/16

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

The cleric - mages first reaction would be to hold forth a holy symbol at the creature that grabs a hold of him and rebuke it with a word of authority ...

Crabgrass: Turn Undead: [1d20]=8 # affected [1d12]=7 Turn duration [3d4]=7

Though in this instance, he merely whimpers a half remembered scripture.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by shaidar »

Stobart

The cleric brandishes his holy symbol

"In the name of Fharlanghn I bid you begone from this place."

Turning: [1d20]=19

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by grokkngrognard »

Skratch nimbly moves back away from the undead, snarling with a hiss as her fingers grab hold of a feathered dart within her cloak.

OOC: Skratch will avoid melee. Depending on how many zombies are turned, she will throw all three darts at the closest that are still a threat.

Dart To Hit: [1d20+2]=1+2=3 Damage [1d3]=2

Dart To Hit: [1d20+2]=15+2=17 Damage [1d3]=1

Dart To Hit: [1d20+2]=5+2=7 Damage [1d3]=2

GreyWolfVT

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan takes up one of his Javelin's and aims for an undead that is an easy target to throw at without hitting one of the living they are threatening.

Javelin [1d20]=10 to hit, [1d6]=1 dmg

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

Meinhardt attempts to refrain Dubricus from fleeing in sheer panic. "Calm yourself, sir! We are under attack! I need you to think clearly!"

Scott308

#60 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"This is one of those times I wish I was wrong." Seeing the creatures pulling themselves out of the ground, the paladin acts quickly, drawing his sword and slashing the one holding Crabgrass if he is able to get to him. If not, he'll lash out at whichever zombie is closest.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”